ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Mullen Recruiting!!!!

Gator Fever is just a complainer/whiner most of the time. Certainly can’t be a great way to go through life to be like that all the time. He’s going to put himself into the hospital.

Reactions: uflgator23
Gator Fever is just a complainer/whiner most of the time. Certainly can’t be a great way to go through life to be like that all the time. He’s going to put himself into the hospital.

This is the most human post I've seen from you in 15 years.

Its my way of coping with the current state of recruiting and I am already expecting a 7-5 or 8-4 season with a mediocre offense. The record wouldn't bother me if I knew Jones got some experience and recruiting was going good.

Even a #1 class wouldn't change this year much. I have more optimism than you, though, I think we win 10.

I said 9-10 wins last week, with the WLOCP deciding the SECe,,, so get off my pre-dic-tion... :cool: (well, my homer W-a-G anyway...) :D

reading his posts I think he yearns for the Ron Zook days. Screw coaching, just recruit

Reactions: instaGATOR
reading his posts I think he yearns for the Ron Zook days. Screw coaching, just recruit
Yep BINGO. People can’t even let Mullen coach a few games before they are already jumping off the ledge. Mullen mind you was on the staff and one of the main reasons we were a really really good football team back when he was on Meyer’s staff. I’d rather have a great coach and a great developer of talent and great CEO than a great recruiter. The recruiting can be fixed. The coaching and player development is a little harder to find.

Spurrier was a coach first, recruiter second. Heck I’m not even sure Spurrier even really recruited that hard. Even Meyer had to start off as a program builder/CEO before he kicked the recruiting into high gear. Heck Meyer and his staff won the 2006 National Championship with majority of guys that didn’t fit his system and then was able to recruit guys that did fit his system and go win another national title in 2008.

What get's me is that so few here seem to actually 'KNOW' what Dan is actually doing in recruiting. They grab rivals as their 'holey bible' and act like they know something about the players he's recruited, and is recruiting now. :cool:

But even rivals had his 2018 class with 14 ****'s and 4 ***'s. = 3.78 Avg. :eek:
The #18 ranking was due to rivals putting a lot of emphasis on the total numbers (18), so a class with 30 low end 3 stars gets a higher class ranking...

They ignore that's the best class for a 1st year HC at UF in history.

Yep BINGO. People can’t even let Mullen coach a few games before they are already jumping off the ledge. Mullen mind you was on the staff and one of the main reasons we were a really really good football team back when he was on Meyer’s staff. I’d rather have a great coach and a great developer of talent and great CEO than a great recruiter. The recruiting can be fixed. The coaching and player development is a little harder to find.

Spurrier was a coach first, recruiter second. Heck I’m not even sure Spurrier even really recruited that hard. Even Meyer had to start off as a program builder/CEO before he kicked the recruiting into high gear. Heck Meyer and his staff won the 2006 National Championship with majority of guys that didn’t fit his system and then was able to recruit guys that did fit his system and go win another national title in 2008.

lol We wont be beating Georgia out too many years if the recruiting doesn't pick up with a quickness and we wont be winning any SEC championships with how Mullen is recruiting now.

Our recruiting sucks right now compared to everyone but Mac's poor recruiting.

Also people dreaming that the offense is going to magically kick butt in 2018 are going to be in for a rude awakening and the only chance of that happening is Jones turning out to be the real deal in 2019. So all these crazy theories people have that changing things on the field will magically make Mullen's staff good recruiters that can compete with Georgia etc. will come up short for the 2020 class also.

Our recruiting matched Georgia under Spurrier but guess who we didnt match in talent except maybe in 1995 and 1996 (Zook was big time recruiter for many of those starters) and what was Spurrier's record against them? Now I know you arent going to suggest Bowden just out coached Spurrier.

Last edited:
Confirmed for me now. Fev is a buttwipe troll masquerading as a Gator fan. o_O

There's just no other explanation for him, other than maybe he's a shill for this rivals board to generate some 'Talking Season' posts during the dead time... :cool:

He's so IFFY this and IFFY that, with nothing of any substance behind his total BS claims, that he's finally bored even me... :confused:

Confirmed for me now. Fev is a buttwipe troll masquerading as a Gator fan. o_O

There's just no other explanation for him, other than maybe he's a shill for this rivals board to generate some 'Talking Season' posts during the dead time... :cool:

He's so IFFY this and IFFY that, with nothing of any substance behind his total BS claims, that he's finally bored even me... :confused:

Nope just pointing out reality. Hopefully Mullen makes changes so we aren't doing this again in another 3 or 4 years.

FLASH NEWS --- Your own unsubstantiated opinions :confused: are not facts, nor are the reality. :rolleyes:

Even a #1 class wouldn't change this year much. I have more optimism than you, though, I think we win 10.

If we had a top 8 or so class I would be happy as heck right now because I would figure we are on a good path and at least staying in sight of Georgia with that. But instead we are heading for a mediocre class while many other SEC teams roll us in recruiting. Something has to change there and if it doesn't prior to the 2020 class we are looking at more years of frustration.

lol We wont be beating Georgia out too many years if the recruiting doesn't pick up with a quickness and we wont be winning any SEC championships with how Mullen is recruiting now.

Our recruiting sucks right now compared to everyone but Mac's poor recruiting.

Also people dreaming that the offense is going to magically kick butt in 2018 are going to be in for a rude awakening and the only chance of that happening is Jones turning out to be the real deal in 2019. So all these crazy theories people have that changing things on the field will magically make Mullen's staff good recruiters that can compete with Georgia etc. will come up short for the 2020 class also.

Our recruiting matched Georgia under Spurrier but guess who we didnt match in talent except maybe in 1995 and 1996 (Zook was big time recruiter for many of those starters) and what was Spurrier's record against them? Now I know you arent going to suggest Bowden just out coached Spurrier.

Kirby at UGA and Mullen at UF is apples to oranges. Mullen is taking over a program that has been a disaster since Urban left the first time. Two failed coaches and a decade of mediocre recruiting. UGA had a coach in Richt who won 9-10 a year and was an excellent recruiter. He was fired because he couldn’t get over the hump, not because he let the program spiral into a complete disaster. The situations are NOTHING alike.

Now add in UGA is the only major program in the loaded state of GA. UF has to compete with FSU, who has been elite in recent memory and UM who now has an excellent recruiter in Richt. Urban atill has ties in the state as well.

Recruiting is not where it should be but Mullen and Kirby are in COMPLETELY different situations

Kirby at UGA and Mullen at UF is apples to oranges. Mullen is taking over a program that has been a disaster since Urban left the first time. Two failed coaches and a decade of mediocre recruiting. UGA had a coach in Richt who won 9-10 a year and was an excellent recruiter. He was fired because he couldn’t get over the hump, not because he let the program spiral into a complete disaster. The situations are NOTHING alike.

Now add in UGA is the only major program in the loaded state of GA. UF has to compete with FSU, who has been elite in recent memory and UM who now has an excellent recruiter in Richt. Urban atill has ties in the state as well.

Recruiting is not where it should be but Mullen and Kirby are in COMPLETELY different situations

Georgia is killing us in our own state with 5 star recruits. Since Smart has been there they have either 4 or 5 five stars from Florida while we have zero from Florida.

Georgia has like 12 Rivals 5 stars on their roster now that Smart recruited and guess how many we have during that same time frame - exactly one 5 star recruit and he didn't even come from our own state.

Want some more reality - here are some examples below of other big football schools in the south and their results with new coaches in recent years. Under Mac and now Mullen we are the exception with these crappy 2nd classes not the norm.

Texas: since 2010 - 4 losing seasons, best season 9-4, 2nd best season 8-5 and the new coach had a # 4 2nd recruiting class.

Texas A&M since 2010 - best season 11-2, 2nd best season 9-4, 4 seasons of 8-5 or worse and the new coach is currently top 5 in recruiting.

FSU prior to Fisher - mediocre for several years but 2nd recruiting class was #2.

Georgia was stuck in also ran status for several years before Smart - #3 2nd recruiting class.

UF since 2010 - 2 losing seasons, best season 11-2, 2nd best season 10-4, and the new coach is apparently headed to a mediocre 2nd class in the teens.
----------------------

We were saying Smart couldn't coach after that first season and ignoring his recruiting and then the guy damn near wins the National Championship the very next year while reeling in another crazy good recruiting class.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3
It is still early, but our recruiting does appear to be butt. Has any short, squat coach been a good college recruiter? I can't think of any. Saban is short but not squat. Orgeron's a good recruiter, but he's more a big fat guy than short and squat. Mullen's a little block headed as well. A lot to overcome.

It is still early, but our recruiting does appear to be butt. Has any short, squat coach been a good college recruiter? I can't think of any. Saban is short but not squat. Orgeron's a good recruiter, but he's more a big fat guy than short and squat. Mullen's a little block headed as well. A lot to overcome.

I guess you are joking because Mullen isn't that short.

Last edited:

LMAO

I know you’re clowning but this makes me wanna go compare the stature of all the top coaches to see if there’s really any correlation.

If we had a top 8 or so class I would be happy as heck right now because I would figure we are on a good path and at least staying in sight of Georgia with that. But instead we are heading for a mediocre class while many other SEC teams roll us in recruiting. Something has to change there and if it doesn't prior to the 2020 class we are looking at more years of frustration.

You're right where you should be in recruiting. Mullen is a better coach than recruiter. Anyone that thought he was going to come in and immediately snag 5-stars wasn't being realistic.

It sounds like you are at least partly judging Mullen's recruiting on what Kirby did when he got to Georgia. You shouldn't, Kirbs is an elite recruiter, Mullen is not. On the other hand, Florida landed a pretty good class in Feb and if Mullen had signed a full class, it would have been Top 10.

Coaching and player development is where Mullen will have immediate impacts. Once you start to see the fruit from that, then the recruiting will follow.

Georgia is killing us in our own state with 5 star recruits. Since Smart has been there they have either 4 or 5 five stars from Florida while we have zero from Florida.

Georgia has like 12 Rivals 5 stars on their roster now that Smart recruited and guess how many we have during that same time frame - exactly one 5 star recruit and he didn't even come from our own state.

Want some more reality - here are some examples below of other big football schools in the south and their results with new coaches in recent years. Under Mac and now Mullen we are the exception with these crappy 2nd classes not the norm.

Texas: since 2010 - 4 losing seasons, best season 9-4, 2nd best season 8-5 and the new coach had a # 4 2nd recruiting class.

Texas A&M since 2010 - best season 11-2, 2nd best season 9-4, 4 seasons of 8-5 or worse and the new coach is currently top 5 in recruiting.

FSU prior to Fisher - mediocre for several years but 2nd recruiting class was #2.

Georgia was stuck in also ran status for several years before Smart - #3 2nd recruiting class.

UF since 2010 - 2 losing seasons, best season 11-2, 2nd best season 10-4, and the new coach is apparently headed to a mediocre 2nd class in the teens.
----------------------

We were saying Smart couldn't coach after that first season and ignoring his recruiting and then the guy damn near wins the National Championship the very next year while reeling in another crazy good recruiting class.

You are putting way too much on Mullen. The last two coaches have been an absolute train wreck. And honestly, this is a lot on Jeremy Foley. What should have happened? Fire Chump after 4-8 and hire his buddy James Franklin. But we continually tried to outsmart everyone.

Again, you don’t want to attribute any of this to the disaster started all the way back to Urban. You just want everything to be like we have been elite all along

You're right where you should be in recruiting. Mullen is a better coach than recruiter. Anyone that thought he was going to come in and immediately snag 5-stars wasn't being realistic.

It sounds like you are at least partly judging Mullen's recruiting on what Kirby did when he got to Georgia. You shouldn't, Kirbs is an elite recruiter, Mullen is not. On the other hand, Florida landed a pretty good class in Feb and if Mullen had signed a full class, it would have been Top 10.

Coaching and player development is where Mullen will have immediate impacts. Once you start to see the fruit from that, then the recruiting will follow.

Yep that is why everyone but us at similar schools are actually bringing in the recruits. I see people are finally waking up to this disaster in recruiting that usually are sunshine pumpers. Hopefully that will force Mullen to get a few good recruiters on staff since the ones he has now are clearly substandard at it.

Recruiting doesn't follow. You either have good recruiters or you don't generally. Its an embarrassment that the flagship school in FL is recruiting this bad lately in its own state.

I also see Mullen is already making excuses for it trying to act like one class he had that played better than its ranking means we will be alright. What a frickin joke.

You are putting way too much on Mullen. The last two coaches have been an absolute train wreck. And honestly, this is a lot on Jeremy Foley. What should have happened? Fire Chump after 4-8 and hire his buddy James Franklin. But we continually tried to outsmart everyone.

Again, you don’t want to attribute any of this to the disaster started all the way back to Urban. You just want everything to be like we have been elite all along

No I am not and I see many people usually in the sunshine - bury your head in the sand crowd that are even seeing through this joke recruiting.

He doesn't have good recruiters on staff apparently to get classes you need to win SEC Championships. And if he doesn't fix it you can count on us averaging about one more win a year than Miss State did under him.

Yep that is why everyone but us at similar schools are actually bringing in the recruits. I see people are finally waking up to this disaster in recruiting that usually are sunshine pumpers. Hopefully that will force Mullen to get a few good recruiters on staff since the ones he has now are clearly substandard at it.

Recruiting doesn't follow. You either have good recruiters or you don't generally. Its an embarrassment that the flagship school in FL is recruiting this bad lately in its own state.

I also see Mullen is already making excuses for it trying to act like one class he had that played better than its ranking means we will be alright. What a frickin joke.

Anyone that watched what Mullen did at Miss State isn't surprised by any of this. He was never a great recruiter, he signed 2 and 3 stars every year to a program with horrible facilities, and averaged 8 wins a year.

The best recruiting you have is your record. Mullen can't recruit, but he can develop players. If you could choose just one, the smart fan would take player development every time.

If he can win enough games to signal to recruits that the program is going to challenge Georgia in the East, the recruiting will take care of itself. Anyone judging Florida's recruiting 6 weeks before Mullen's first season there starts, isn't paying attention to what matters.

Anyone that watched what Mullen did at Miss State isn't surprised by any of this. He was never a great recruiter, he signed 2 and 3 stars every year to a program with horrible facilities, and averaged 8 wins a year.

The best recruiting you have is your record. Mullen can't recruit, but he can develop players. If you could choose just one, the smart fan would take player development every time.

If he can win enough games to signal to recruits that the program is going to challenge Georgia in the East, the recruiting will take care of itself. Anyone judging Florida's recruiting 6 weeks before Mullen's first season there starts, isn't paying attention to what matters.

Keep thinking that will happen with mid pack SEC classes. You will be waiting still after Mullen has been canned if he doesn't make some real changes.

Keep thinking that will happen with mid pack SEC classes. You will be waiting still after Mullen has been canned if he doesn't make some real changes.

So you think Mullen, who hasn't coached a down at Florida, needs to make some real changes.....because Florida's class is ranked #39 in......July???

LOL! Ok bro, you do you...

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
So you think Mullen, who hasn't coached a down at Florida, needs to make some real changes.....because Florida's class is ranked #39 in......July???

LOL. We haven’t even played a game yet. I guess Fever has never heard of a guy named Steve Spurrier. How old are you Fever? I expect you to be in the hospital for anxiety in the coming years if you fret over things this easily.

If we had a top 8 or so class I would be happy as heck right now

You do realize that two of the current Top 8 classes are averaging the same 3-star recruits that Mullen currently is, right? So swapping places with Clemson and Michigan would make you happy as heck right now? Mullen's current star average is higher than both of them.

You do realize that two of the current Top 8 classes are averaging the same 3-star recruits that Mullen currently is, right? So swapping places with Clemson and Michigan would make you happy as heck right now? Mullen's current star average is higher than both of them.

Let me be more specific - if we were on track to be able to have a top 8 type class.

No I expect him to make changes because he is on a track for a crappy class that has a ceiling of about 7th best or so in the SEC and 14th nationally and that is if things fall his way later. Mediocre classes like that will leave us with mediocre results with our schedule.

Last edited:
LOL. We haven’t even played a game yet. I guess Fever has never heard of a guy named Steve Spurrier. How old are you Fever? I expect you to be in the hospital for anxiety in the coming years if you fret over things this easily.

The same Spurrier who had recruits to match any SEC team he played. That is a myth Georgia had better classes than us as they averaged to be about the same except for Spurrier's last class in 2001 where he apparently spent no time recruiting hardly. FSU is the only team we played annually that clearly outrecruited us most years under Spurrier except for a couple. If Tenn recruited better then it was only for a couple of years.

No I expect him to make changes because he is on a track for a crappy class that has a ceiling of about 7th best or so in the SEC and 14th nationally and that is if things fall his way later. Mediocre classes like that will leave us with mediocre results with our schedule.

3* Dan coached 9 years and to my knowledge ever offered a big time job and was the Lizards 4 choice in desperation. 3* Dan was also on the hot seat in 2016 with 7 losses. Hes good offensive mind who's never been a dynamic recruiter ( which is huge for a head coach). I just don't see 3* Dan getting the Lizzerds back in the hunt recruiting top 10 or into the playoff.o_O

The Lizzerds should have not panicked and kept Miss-chimp who's a hell of a recruiter and defensive mind. Foley should have laid out the cash for Big time OC like the my dust bowl chokers did with Lincoln Riley':eek:

I guess you are joking because Mullen isn't that short.

images

"Hey down there. Have you met any of my 5 stars? They wouldn't take your calls? Come on over, I'll introduce you. We're hitting the clubs later and everyone's going to get laid!"

Reactions: Gator Fever
images

"Hey down there. Have you met any of my 5 stars? They wouldn't take your calls? Come on over, I'll introduce you. We're hitting the clubs later and everyone's going to get laid!"

lol My guess is Mullen is somewhere around 5'11" if Meyer is around 6'2"

Thoughts about this? Pretty sad imo, got to worry some of you more realistic fans, right????

Looks like a kid claiming an SEC offer to make himself look better. A lot of kids hold their announcement at their HS with a Bama hat on the table, when we haven't talked to them in months. Probably the same thing here.

SEC sucks though, why would he do that? Street cred for a team that hasn't been good ina decade?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT