ADVERTISEMENT

College football playoff scenarios...

Gene "dotcom" is actually serious about a lawsuit.

Ya, I'm listening to a lot of outlets, but that isn't one of them. The sound of Gene's voice makes my skin crawl. Hell, I've had die hard UT and Bama fans texting me that FSU got hosed.

Take away the disdain you have for a rival and look at it through the lens of athletics. You have a team that lost the face of its program; a Heisman candidate QB that represents the resurgence of a program that hasn't done squat in 9 years. You tell that team it's got to figure out a way to move on, next man up. They did it. They did it in hostile territory against a bitter rival and then they did it again against a UL team that hammered ND. You know, that same ND that is OSU's signature win. This team found a way to win two games without its QB. Would this team win the championship? Probably not. Does it deserve to try? You're damn right it does. I would say the same thing if UF was in this position.

The committee basically told every high school and college player in the country that wins don't matter. FSU is a brand that has won more recently than every team in that playoff field sans Bama and will draw significantly more eyeballs than Washington; a team from a dead conference who played no one except Oregon who played no one.

The Coaches Poll has FSU at 3, the AP at 4. The Committee told us after UF that Tate can get it done by ranking us 4th. This week they changed their mind since them hoping we'd lose to UL didn't happen and they had to get an $EC team into the playoffs.

Ya, I'm listening to a lot of outlets, but that isn't one of them. The sound of Gene's voice makes my skin crawl. Hell, I've had die hard UT and Bama fans texting me that FSU got hosed.

Take away the disdain you have for a rival and look at it through the lens of athletics. You have a team that lost the face of its program; a Heisman candidate QB that represents the resurgence of a program that hasn't done squat in 9 years. You tell that team it's got to figure out a way to move on, next man up. They did it. They did it in hostile territory against a bitter rival and then they did it again against a UL team that hammered ND. You know, that same ND that is OSU's signature win. This team found a way to win two games without its QB. Would this team win the championship? Probably not. Does it deserve to try? You're damn right it does. I would say the same thing if UF was in this position.

The committee basically told every high school and college player in the country that wins don't matter. FSU is a brand that has won more recently than every team in that playoff field sans Bama and will draw significantly more eyeballs than Washington; a team from a dead conference who played no one except Oregon who played no one.

The Coaches Poll has FSU at 3, the AP at 4. The Committee told us after UF that Tate can get it done by ranking us 4th. This week they changed their mind since them hoping we'd lose to UL didn't happen and they had to get an $EC team into the playoffs.
I like your comments, but here's the thing. If UGA and FSU are paired in a bowl game, which team checks out and doesn't show up? I find this question interesting, especially since bowl games outside the playoff ones have become utterly meaningless since the 4 team playoff. The players don't want to play in them, 50% of the fans couldn't care less. NFL prospects won't even play in them. I saw this coming a long time ago, and expanding the playoff to more teams will make bowls even more utterly meaningless.

I like your comments, but here's the thing. If UGA and FSU are paired in a bowl game, which team checks out and doesn't show up? I find this question interesting, especially since bowl games outside the playoff ones have become utterly meaningless since the 4 team playoff. The players don't want to play in them, 50% of the fans couldn't care less. NFL prospects won't even play in them. I saw this coming a long time ago, and expanding the playoff to more teams will make bowls even more utterly meaningless.
Ya, the playoffs sounded great, but they're looking less and less like a net positives. College football is dying and pushing me back to the No Fun League.

• Sad
Reactions: NavigatorII
I’m here. While I would much rather have had them lose every single week so we never have to hear their whining, at their best they weren’t a top 5 team. This could be more damaging to their program though, so I’ll take it. They’re coastal Carolina or liberty now, like they always should have been. They got 30 years of coasting off of weak schedules and getting to play 2-3 game seasons. The chickens are finally coming home to roost. They are getting a NY6 bowl, which is all a G5 team should ever expect, so they can cut their whining.
Thanks. Hope y’all win your bowl game too.
😏

• Haha
Reactions: LordofallSocks

To me the fsu v puppy game is meaningless. Noles and pups have some guys that will be nfl bound come April. Would be silly to risk an injury. I suspect we will see some kids opt out.

Reactions: NavigatorII
To me the fsu v puppy game is meaningless. Noles and pups have some guys that will be nfl bound come April. Would be silly to risk an injury. I suspect we will see some kids opt out.
Typically, I would agree, but this is a #5 vs #6 situation for two programs who believe they should be in the playoffs. Never has a #1 team completely dropped out and never has an undefeated, P5 conference champion been left out. It's literally unprecedented. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if these kids want to play. ...not shocked if they don't either. After today, it will take A LOT to shock me.

Robert Griffin III
@RGIII

Florida State is the first Undefeated Power 5 Conference Champion to not get into the College Football Playoff. Despite the ACC having a 6-4 record against the SEC this year. Despite their defense not giving up 30 points in a single game all year. Despite their offense having more yards in the ACC Championship than Michigan had in the Big 10 Championship. Despite holding Louisville’s Top 20 Offense to 6 points. Despite beating 4 Top 25 teams. Despite finding a way to win with their Back up QB in a bitter rivalry game. Despite finding a way to win with their 3rd string QB in the ACC Championship Game. Florida State EARNED their spot in the CFP on the field. With and Without Jordan Travis. You don’t punish or diminish the work of 100+ players and coaches because 1 player is not there on the field calling the shots. FSU always answered the bell this year and their response to losing their QB was to play POSSESSED ON DEFENSE. It’s an absolute travesty that they were excluded from the CFP.

Typically, I would agree, but this is a #5 vs #6 situation for two programs who believe they should be in the playoffs. Never has a #1 team completely dropped out and never has an undefeated, P5 conference champion been left out. It's literally unprecedented. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if these kids want to play. ...not shocked if they don't either. After today, it will take A LOT to shock me.

Robert Griffin III
@RGIII

Florida State is the first Undefeated Power 5 Conference Champion to not get into the College Football Playoff. Despite the ACC having a 6-4 record against the SEC this year. Despite their defense not giving up 30 points in a single game all year. Despite their offense having more yards in the ACC Championship than Michigan had in the Big 10 Championship. Despite holding Louisville’s Top 20 Offense to 6 points. Despite beating 4 Top 25 teams. Despite finding a way to win with their Back up QB in a bitter rivalry game. Despite finding a way to win with their 3rd string QB in the ACC Championship Game. Florida State EARNED their spot in the CFP on the field. With and Without Jordan Travis. You don’t punish or diminish the work of 100+ players and coaches because 1 player is not there on the field calling the shots. FSU always answered the bell this year and their response to losing their QB was to play POSSESSED ON DEFENSE. It’s an absolute travesty that they were excluded from the CFP.

People keep saying “unprecedented” but never have all 5 supposed real conferences had a one or zero loss team. And second, never has a #1 lost on the-last week and fallen completely out, so would you feel better if it was UGA that took #4?

Robert Griffin III
@RGIII

You might be right. If dawgs are at full strength, while you guys are using your backup, I suspect it will be a long night. But play the game and see what happens.

This is the exact reason why nobody wants a repeat of this in the playoffs.

This is the exact reason why nobody wants a repeat of this in the playoffs.

So they chose the final year (10 years) later to focus on that? I call BS:

So TCU, Mich State, OSU, Bama, etc. shouldn't have been their by that notion. Just admit you simply wanted to post that clip; which, btw, there's a better version of it to the Benny Hill tune. ;)

12022ChampionshipGeorgia 65, TCU 758 points
22014Rose BowlOregon 59, Florida State39 points
32015Cotton BowlAlabama 38, Michigan State 038 points
42016Fiesta BowlClemson 31, Ohio State 031 points
5(t)2018ChampionshipClemson 44, Alabama 1628 points
5(t)2020ChampionshipAlabama 52, Ohio State 2428 points
72018Cotton BowlClemson 30, Notre Dame 327 points
82021Orange BowlGeorgia 34, Michigan 1123 points
92014ChampionshipOhio State 42, Oregon 2022 points
10(t)2020Sugar BowlOhio State 49, Clemson 2821 points
10(t)2021Cotton BowlAlabama 27, Cincinnati 621 points

So they chose the final year (10 years) later to focus on that? I call BS:

So TCU, Mich State, OSU, Bama, etc. shouldn't have been their by that notion. Just admit you simply wanted to post that clip; which, btw, there's a better version of it to the Benny Hill tune. ;)

12022ChampionshipGeorgia 65, TCU 758 points
22014Rose BowlOregon 59, Florida State39 points
32015Cotton BowlAlabama 38, Michigan State 038 points
42016Fiesta BowlClemson 31, Ohio State 031 points
5(t)2018ChampionshipClemson 44, Alabama 1628 points
5(t)2020ChampionshipAlabama 52, Ohio State 2428 points
72018Cotton BowlClemson 30, Notre Dame 327 points
82021Orange BowlGeorgia 34, Michigan 1123 points
92014ChampionshipOhio State 42, Oregon 2022 points
10(t)2020Sugar BowlOhio State 49, Clemson 2821 points
10(t)2021Cotton BowlAlabama 27, Cincinnati 621 points

Unlike FSU, those very teams actually earned a spot in the CFP.

Unlike FSU, those very teams actually earned a spot in the CFP.

Then the committee lied every week except the last or they told the truth every week, but the last. All of those things were true after the UF game, but they put FSU at #4. Like I said earlier, the smartest thing the Committee should have done was put FSU around #8 in the final poll. Instead, they ranked them higher than UGA--a team that would probably beat Bama 8-10 tries.

Then the committee lied every week except the last or they told the truth every week, but the last. All of those things were true after the UF game, but they put FSU at #4. Like I said earlier, the smartest thing the Committee should have done was put FSU around #8 in the final poll. Instead, they ranked them higher than UGA--a team that would probably beat Bama 8-10 tries.
FSU strength of schedule alone is a total embarrassment. Plain and simple.

Reactions: DLinOrlando
Igloo I saw the FSU receiver is skipping the bowl. I suspect several others will follow.
Dude, it's going to be tough fielding a team at this point between the portal and opt outs. ESPN/CFP dropped a nuke in that locker room. All the players that got this team where they are will be out. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE ----->No Verse, Fiske, Travis, Coleman, Benson, Wilson, etc.

We'll be fielding a rookie/partial 2024 team. It will be like a pre-season game. 🤣

I'm not even sure I'll tune in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT