ADVERTISEMENT

Becky Hammon one of three finalists for WBB position

GatorsFanYeah

Rowdy Reptile
Dec 3, 2005
http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/3/21/15003670/sources-becky-hammon-finalist-florida-ncaaw-nba

If Stricklin lands her, Florida becomes a top 5 program within 3 years. First ever woman as an NBA assistant, one of the greatest women's players ever... would be the definition of a homerun hire. And yes, some of us actually care about our women's program. I'd love to see this hire, especially after seeing the program toil in mediocrity for years.

Kids will be lining up to play for her. I really hope we close the deal with her.

Last edited:
Hammon had long expressed aspirations of becoming a coach after her playing career. On July 13, 2013, Hammon tore her left anterior cruciate ligament in a game against the Los Angeles Sparks. During her year-long rehabilitation, Hammon attended the NBA's San Antonio Spurs' practices, coaches' meetings, and games, where she was frequently invited to contribute opinions.[10]

On August 5, 2014, Hammon was hired as an assistant coach for the Spurs, becoming the first full-time, salaried female coach in NBA history.[11] Hammon's contribution to the staff made an impression on head coach Gregg Popovich. In a media statement released at the time of the hiring announcement, Popovich stated: "I very much look forward to the addition of Becky Hammon to our staff. Having observed her working with our team this past season, I'm confident her basketball IQ, work ethic, and interpersonal skills will be a great benefit to the Spurs."[11]

On July 3, 2015, Hammon became the first ever female head coach in the NBA's Summer League when the Spurs announced she would coach their team. Hammon led the Spurs to the Las Vegas Summer League title on July 20, 2015, becoming the first female NBA head coach to win a summer league title.[3]

At the 2016 NBA All-Star Game, Hammon became the first woman to be part of an All-Star coaching staff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becky_Hammon

This is a roll of the dice. No HC coaching experience. No recruiting experience. We tried this once before. It did not work.

This is a roll of the dice. No HC coaching experience. No recruiting experience. We tried this once before. It did not work.

Yeah, but difference being, she's Becky freakin' Hammon. Only woman to be a coach in the NBA and she learned her craft under Greg freaking Poppovich. There is absolutely no way she doesn't win and win big wherever she goes. Her name carries a lot of weight with young players, believe me.

Reactions: g8rbass94
As a lifer Spurs fan...please spell Popovich correctly. :)

Becky could be pure gold or could have severe shortcomings as MJ stated. Saw her at the Portland game last week in SA. Pop is like Saban of the NBA. People poach his staff every year. My dream job out of school was to be the GM of the Spurs. Safe to say that position has been on lock down for 15 plus years and I barely got a sniff prior to that.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/3/21/15003670/sources-becky-hammon-finalist-florida-ncaaw-nba

If Stricklin lands her, Florida becomes a top 5 program within 3 years. First ever woman as an NBA assistant, one of the greatest women's players ever... would be the definition of a homerun hire. And yes, some of us actually care about our women's program. I'd love to see this hire, especially after seeing the program toil in mediocrity for years.

Kids will be lining up to play for her. I really hope we close the deal with her.
She turned us down. Offer was in the lower tier of sec pay

Good. Get someone that understand how to be a head coach on the college level. A demonstrated recruiter.

They'll regret low balling her. Trust me, she'll win big wherever she goes. The last time we got a "proven" coach we ended up with the disaster that was Carolyn Peck. You don't need to be a genius to see that Hammon will be a rock star coach.

They'll regret low balling her. Trust me, she'll win big wherever she goes. The last time we got a "proven" coach we ended up with the disaster that was Carolyn Peck. You don't need to be a genius to see that Hammon will be a rock star coach.

I think she is overplaying her hand if she thinks she is close to an NBA head job being given to her in the next few years without showing she can win as a head coach first at the college level. I don't even think our current PC push in sports would let that happen. She is a little hard headed however as shown when she became a Russian citizen.

Why not take a short with this legend if she'll take the job and take a shot on UF? Women's basketball is the 1 sport that UF has never been able to get into a regular Top 20 program and it would be nice to finally get that done.

Well, Adam Silverstein just reported on OnlyGators.com that she has turned us down. The supposed salary offered was in the lower tier of SEC salaries for women's head BB coaches.

Glad we got someone with HC experience.

Cameron Newbauer will be the 10th head coach of the University of Florida women’s basketball program, Athletics Director Scott Stricklin announced Monday.

Newbauer (38), spent the previous four seasons as head coach at Belmont University, located in Nashville, Tennessee. Under Newbauer, the Bruins reached the postseason three times, including NCAA Tournament berths the last two seasons.

Belmont won 35 of its last 36 games against Ohio Valley Conference opponents – a run that included league tournament games – and sported an overall 25-game win streak entering the 2017 NCAA Tournament before its 73-70 first-round loss at Kentucky.

The Bruins were 51-15 overall and 29-3 in OVC action over the last two years, winning the OVC regular-season championship last year and the league’s tournament title the last two seasons. Newbauer, who compiled a 79-50 record at BU, was named the 2016-17 OVC Coach of the Year.

The Fort Wayne, Indiana, native has been a women’s basketball assistant coach at Louisville and Georgia and a men’s assistant at Siena College, while also working as a director of basketball operations for Georgia’s men’s team and at Siena.

I'm not as high in Hammon as others to be honest. She's never coached college basketball and has never recruited before. Not sure that is a good fit.

Glad we got someone with HC experience.

Cameron Newbauer will be the 10th head coach of the University of Florida women’s basketball program, Athletics Director Scott Stricklin announced Monday.

Newbauer (38), spent the previous four seasons as head coach at Belmont University, located in Nashville, Tennessee. Under Newbauer, the Bruins reached the postseason three times, including NCAA Tournament berths the last two seasons.

Belmont won 35 of its last 36 games against Ohio Valley Conference opponents – a run that included league tournament games – and sported an overall 25-game win streak entering the 2017 NCAA Tournament before its 73-70 first-round loss at Kentucky.

The Bruins were 51-15 overall and 29-3 in OVC action over the last two years, winning the OVC regular-season championship last year and the league’s tournament title the last two seasons. Newbauer, who compiled a 79-50 record at BU, was named the 2016-17 OVC Coach of the Year.

The Fort Wayne, Indiana, native has been a women’s basketball assistant coach at Louisville and Georgia and a men’s assistant at Siena College, while also working as a director of basketball operations for Georgia’s men’s team and at Siena.
Georgia Boy? BONG?!?!?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT