ADVERTISEMENT

American men have started to talk like WOMEN

steffen91

Gator Great
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2005
Aaaaaand I have one working for me...

'First men became enamoured with grooming regimes, but now it seems the metrosexual man has started talking in a more feminine way too.

A new study has revealed that modern men are starting to 'uptalk' by rising in pitch at the ends of sentences.

The speech pattern is associated with young women from southern California, notably Clueless lead character Cher Horowitz, but is now common amongst younger people.

Scientists came across the finding when they were trying to investigate the difference between uptalkers making a statement and asking a question.

Uptalkers are stereotypically parodied as insecure, shallow and not very clever females.

However, scientists from the University of California, San Diego, who recorded the voices of 24 young southern Californians, found that the 12 men they studied also uptalked and the speakers came from different backgrounds - not just mansions in Beverley Hills.

They were given several speech tasks, such as providing directions from a map, or recounting what happened after watching a clip from a popular sitcom.

'We found use of uptalk in all of our speakers, despite their diverse backgrounds in socio-economic status, ethnicity, bilingualism and gender,' study leader Dr Amanda Ritchart, a linguist at the university said.'

link

I first noticed this on those "House Hunter" tv shows...where a couple is looking for a new home. No dude should ever use the words "gorgeous" or "lovely" when describing a house.

Originally posted by Dr. Nole:

I first noticed this on those "House Hunter" tv shows...where a couple is looking for a new home. No dude should ever use the words "gorgeous" or "lovely" when describing a house.
You're right. I only EVER want to hear a guy say the shower is freaking huge, the garage can hold all his sh.., and the wall in the den can hold a 70" big screen.

Originally posted by goldmom:

You're right. I only EVER want to hear a guy say the shower is freaking huge, the garage can hold all his sh.., and the wall in the den can hold a 70" big screen.
....and "Nice bar" and "There's a great place for the keg cooler!"

Originally posted by IrishPokerDog:
Originally posted by goldmom:

....and "Nice bar" and "There's a great place for the keg cooler!"
But, what if he "uptalks" that last word? "cooleeehr?" It would sound like he's asking a question while making a statement. No?

Let's stop talkin' like a bunch of prom queens and just say what we mean and mean what we say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT