ADVERTISEMENT

Alley Extra: QB Tyler Murphy

Mark Wheeler

Inside the Gators Publisher
May 2, 2004
From his coach:

meyer131

If any of you have questions about Tyler, you can ask me. I coach him. Everyone is right about the competition, but that doesn't mean he is not good. His skill set that he brings in is one of tremendous speed and athleticism. He also has good throwing skills. His arm is not a strong as Jordan Reed, who I also coached, but arm strength is extremely overrated and doesn't mean much. Accuracy, drop speed, balance, and timing are far more important than "arm strength." And most importantly, intelligence! This is something Tyler brings. He's a tremendous leader and competitor. He is state-champ triple jumper in track. He works very hard on his skills and is taught by someone who knows how to coach the quarterback position. I have studied QB mechanics for a long time and have sat with Scot Loeffler on many occasions to talk mechanics and teaching. Tyler will be very prepared from that aspect. I had to say this when Jordan came to the Gators: don't let the competition level in CT fool you into thinking that a great athlete is not as great as he seems. That is why he has only two stars. That is why Hernandez became a Gator, and why Jordan Reed became a Gator. These coaches know how to evaluate talent. Tyler does not have an offer and therefore, is not committed to Florida. He is committed to Temple. But the Florida coaching staff needs to develop a relationship with Tyler in a short period of time. I believe an offer will happen soon enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News