ADVERTISEMENT

ALLEY EXTRA: Florida going after a top-flight quarterback?

Adam Gorney

Jul 14, 2005
I heard from a good source Thursday morning that position coach Scot Loeffler spent almost an entire day at Detroit (Mich.) Inkster last week and that's where Devin Gardner, the nation's top-rated dual-threat quarterback, attends school.

Gardner is a Michigan commit and my source says his mother is in love with the Wolverines but that Florida and others are trying to get him to visit. He has a brother that lives in southern California and he's encouraged Gardner to visit USC.

It's unknown how much headway Loeffler, who has ties to Michigan and the Detroit Lions, made with Gardner and my source still thinks it's an outside chance that Gardner visits anywhere else but it's certainly something to watch as the recruiting season continues.

After this season, there is an argument to be made Michigan's quarterback situation is more stable that Florida's anyway. Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson have played well as freshmen. John Brantley, although talented, is untested. But my source also said he thinks Gardner could win the Michigan job early on so we'll just have to wait to see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News