ADVERTISEMENT

Alley Extra: Ear to the ground, more on what happened today

Mark Wheeler

Inside the Gators Publisher
May 2, 2004
Talking to a couple of different people, here is what happened today.

The team was together for the first time since Monday. They were gathered together for a team meeting, but it was just players in the room, no coaches. Everyone was wondering what was going on, because no one is supposed to be late for a meeting, and Meyer is never late.

Finally after a while the assistant coaches came in, and the players could tell by their faces that something was wrong.

Meyer then came in and read from a speech he prepared. From what I was told, he couldn't even look up. He was crying, and then of course the players started crying.

Meyer told the team about the mid-season episode with his heart (I don't want to characterize it as a heart attack, stroke or whatever until either Meyer or UF does so on the record). He told them that when he was hospitalized after the SEC Championship Game, it was much more serious than he let on (at first it was said to be dehydration and then he said it was from lack of eating). He also told them that he has been in and out of the hospital since then.

Meyer told the players that his plan is to remain in Gainesville and be part of the team. He will still be part of the football program in some capacity.

He said this is an opportunity for the team to rally and end the season on a winning note.

Then Athletic Director Jeremy Foley addressed the team and told them that he and Meyer would partner (I'm told that was his word, not mine) in the search for a new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News