ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Gator baseball

I feel pretty good about this series. I think Coppola and Peterson are pitching close to their reps, we found three bullpen arms in front of Neely and the lineup is deeper than it has been although if Ty Evans is out that’s obviously a huge blow. UGA is very good, but they don’t pitch like Arky or UK.

Reactions: Countygator1
Guys have been close several times. Figure out a way to close games and they would've picked 6 or so more wins this year and wouldn't be sitting on the bubble.

Reactions: bradleygator
Pitching just isn't there and way too many wasted at bats and strikeouts from the offense. This team just doesn't have it this year. Feel bad for Jac closing out his college career this way.
Yep. Same story all year. Bunch of strikeouts, not enough contact from the lineup. Pitchers throwing batting practice across the board.

It is a shame that we’re sending the best player we’ve ever had out this way. He deserves a lot better. He’s played his ass off this year.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
It is a shame that we’re sending the best player we’ve ever had out this way. He deserves a lot better. He’s played his ass off this year.
Such an odd year. Sully just couldn't ever get this group to gel. He will need to completely rebuild the pitching staff via the portal. We need 3 weekend starters.

Such an odd year. Sully just couldn't ever get this group to gel. He will need to completely rebuild the pitching staff via the portal. We need 3 weekend starters.
If Peterson sticks around I think he’s one. I’m not so sure it’s an issue of not having the arms. I think we need to really look at the approach we’re coaching pitching and at bat.

If Peterson sticks around I think he’s one. I’m not so sure it’s an issue of not having the arms. I think we need to really look at the approach we’re coaching pitching and at bat.
This will be Sully's worst season in the orange and blue. He's adjusted before, and will have to do so again.

This will be Sully's worst season in the orange and blue. He's adjusted before, and will have to do so again.
Yep. He gets the benefit of the doubt into infinity. Nobody I’d rather have trying to figure it out. I think he made a wrong turn into three true outcome sabermetric bs, but hopefully he can rise above it.

Watching this game now and you have to give it to these guys, they just fight and fight.

Reactions: Countygator1
I was telling my non-Gator friends that this team is like a hot, trashy toxic girlfriend who does just enough to keep you around even though ultimately you know you’re doomed.
You mean the one that if she called tonight after all those years you would meat at the curb?

If I recall last year the committee didn’t seem to take tournament results into account with as much weight.

Florida has the #1 SOS and RPI is something like #25. Unless there are several upsets in conference tournaments around the country where teams that would otherwise not get a bid win their tournament and get in automatically, Florida is on the right side of the bubble now. But you never know.
The SEC tournament has a weird format. The Tuesday games are single elimination. The 4 winners then take on the 4 teams who got byes and it's double elimination until it's down to 4 teams. Then it goes back to single elimination for the semis and finals. Crazy. So if Florida wins their first game and then loses 2 straight, that might hurt them more than just losing the first game.
I think they'll get in somewhere as a #3 seed.

Wow. Worst Gator baseball team I can ever remember. I don't like it, just stating facts. I haven't even read many posts here. The pitching staff as a whole is a complete failure, not the bats. It's abysmal. How did this happen?

Wow. Worst Gator baseball team I can ever remember. I don't like it, just stating facts. I haven't even read many posts here. The pitching staff as a whole is a complete failure, not the bats. It's abysmal. How did this happen?
The perfect (or rather imperfect) storm.

• Angry
Reactions: NavigatorII
5 teams ended the season with 13-17 SEC records. Florida gets the #9 seed in the SEC tournament and plays #8 seed Vanderbilt Tuesday at 5:30 pm in the opening, single elimination round. The winner gets #1 seed Tennessee in the first game of the double elimination phase.

I agree with Ocala. Our SOS and RPI too high to not get in. Looking back at this year, we could have just as easily been 19-11. Odd year for sure. Let's see if we can ride any momentum, which so far this season we havent.

Our SEC schedule was brutal. In a way we were lucky to play LSU and aTm before they really got going. SEC is always rough but you’d like to see one or two weekends in league play where you feel like you can put it in cruise control and win a series, but our only “easy” series was Mizzou and we got swept. I think there were 5 teams total with winning records in league.

At this point, I think we’ve got two starters and four relievers (Neely, Clemente, Jameson and Menendez) that you don’t feel like the roof is going to fall on their head every time out. McNealie and Slater could strike out the side or give up 5 runs in an inning.

If Heyman and Kurland hit, our lineup is good. Donay and Yost have straightened the bottom of the lineup out a bit.

Sully definitely has his work cut out for him to make a run. But I would hate to be a national seed and see the Gators in my regional.

• Sad
Reactions: gatordad3
Our SEC schedule was brutal. In a way we were lucky to play LSU and aTm before they really got going. SEC is always rough but you’d like to see one or two weekends in league play where you feel like you can put it in cruise control and win a series, but our only “easy” series was Mizzou and we got swept. I think there were 5 teams total with winning records in league.

At this point, I think we’ve got two starters and four relievers (Neely, Clemente, Jameson and Menendez) that you don’t feel like the roof is going to fall on their head every time out. McNealie and Slater could strike out the side or give up 5 runs in an inning.

If Heyman and Kurland hit, our lineup is good. Donay and Yost have straightened the bottom of the lineup out a bit.

Sully definitely has his work cut out for him to make a run. But I would hate to be a national seed and see the Gators in my regional.
Yost tore his ACL at Georgia and is done.

• Sad
Reactions: gatordad3
Was listening to the D1 podcast and they have us in along with Bama and LSU out of the group of 5 with 13-17 records. I believe there’s 7 in ahead of that group. Tricky part is whether the committee takes 10 or 11 from the SEC. I would say in it’s in our interest to win tomorrow as Vandy is right there on the bubble with us.

File this one away. Bubble team LSU pitched its Saturday starter and won its game.

Coppola looks like maybe he’s settling in. Let’s see some bats!

Gators didn't play poorly, just couldn't string together any hits. Vandy did. Now we wait and see. Still think it will be hard to keep us out, but it doesn't really matter. Pitch well can't hit, hit well can't pitch. That our season.

I could have told you Coppola was going to put up a 4 spot. We on the bubble now. 3 of 5 13-17 sec teams got to 14.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT