ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Gator baseball

Heyman swings through another 89 mph fastball. Heyman, Kurland and Shelton are the letdowns in our lineup. Everyone else is doing what you’d expect. Thought those three guys would be all SEC level offensive players.
They all 3 were excellent last year as freshmen. Kurland got a big RBI today and Shelton had a nice day at the plate, but all 3 have underperformed compared to last year for sure.

Too bad about Garrison. He was playing really well. Lineup might be a little more explosive with Donay though. Thought Donay looked pretty good on Sunday catching.

I didn’t realize Coppola got the start on Saturday. That was a big start for a guy who hasn’t thrown an inning all year.

Too bad about Garrison. He was playing really well. Lineup might be a little more explosive with Donay though. Thought Donay looked pretty good on Sunday catching.

I didn’t realize Coppola got the start on Saturday. That was a big start for a guy who hasn’t thrown an inning all year.
Limited to 30+ pitches and didn't look very good. Tough time of season to get 2+ year old rust off.

Reactions: bradleygator
Most complete game for UF in quite a while. They need to ride that momentum to Nashville.
Broadcast noted that the Gators already have 75 hit by pitches this year (90 all of last year) and also how much were putting runners in motion. So we are trying everything to get the offense going. Seems like they’re starting to break loose a bit. Just need some pitching. Clemente’s been good more often than bad. Just need to find innings from anywhere.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Broadcast noted that the Gators already have 75 hit by pitches this year (90 all of last year) and also how much were putting runners in motion. So we are trying everything to get the offense going. Seems like they’re starting to break loose a bit. Just need some pitching. Clemente’s been good more often than bad. Just need to find innings from anywhere.
Clemente was hurt in 2023 so is a Redshirt Freshman. He was highly rated when signed out of high school. He's only appeared in 4 games this year and has an ERA of 9.00. 1 inning vs. UNF with 3 K's and a walk, no hits. 1 inning vs. Columbia, a hit batter and 2 hits, one of them a 3-run HR. 1 inning vs. FSU, 2 walks, 1 hit and 2 runs allowed. Then last night vs. Jax, 2 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 1 hit by pitch, 5 K's, no runs. So he's thrown a total of 5 innings and given up 5 hits, 4 walks 2 HBP, 1 wild pitch, 1 Hr and 10 K's. 2 good outings, 2 bad outings, but really not enough time on the mound to make a valid evaluation. I think he gets more opportunities down the stretch.

Hopeful we can find 8 more wins and get to the magical 15 win mark in conference. These youngsters will need some ncaa experience to build on for next season.

If we’re going to get to 15, we better win this series at Vandy. At Arky, vs UT and vs UK before wrapping up on the road at UGA. Win one this weekend we’d have to go 7-5 in those series. Win 2 and we could go 6-6, which still wouldn’t be any picnic.

If we’re going to get to 15, we better win this series at Vandy. At Arky, vs UT and vs UK before wrapping up on the road at UGA. Win one this weekend we’d have to go 7-5 in those series. Win 2 and we could go 6-6, which still wouldn’t be any picnic.
8-7 is going to be a very difficult ask considering who we have left. Just winning 1 at Vandy and at Arky would be great, then we would need to get 2 against the remaining schedule. I struggle to see that. Brad how many conference wins do you think we need to make the ncaa tourney?

8-7 is going to be a very difficult ask considering who we have left. Just winning 1 at Vandy and at Arky would be great, then we would need to get 2 against the remaining schedule. I struggle to see that. Brad how many conference wins do you think we need to make the ncaa tourney?
I think .500 gets us in a regional somewhere. Maybe a game under. Throw in a win or two in the SECT.

We’ve got series wins at UM; at LSU (which doesn’t look as impressive; and vs MSU.

Series losses to FSU (basically); Mizzou and USC jr. Plus all those bad midweek losses.

If we go 2 and 3 in our remaining 5 series, we’re right there on the bubble.

Any way you slice it, it’s going to be tough.

everyone we have left is probably going to host a regional (except UGA) and Arky, UT and UK look like national seeds.

Reactions: ocalaman
I think .500 gets us in a regional somewhere. Maybe a game under. Throw in a win or two in the SECT.

We’ve got series wins at UM; at LSU (which doesn’t look as impressive; and vs MSU.

Series losses to FSU (basically); Mizzou and USC jr. Plus all those bad midweek losses.

If we go 2 and 3 in our remaining 5 series, we’re right there on the bubble.

Any way you slice it, it’s going to be tough.

everyone we have left is probably going to host a regional (except UGA) and Arky, UT and UK look like national seeds.
I just don't see us getting to 15 wins. We desperately needed to take 2 of 3 from mizzou. Oh well, still baseball left to be played, so lets see what we can do. 3-3 in these next two series would be outstanding, 2-4 is bare minimum, and anything less most likely keeps us from 15 win mark.

I just don't see us getting to 15 wins. We desperately needed to take 2 of 3 from mizzou. Oh well, still baseball left to be played, so lets see what we can do. 3-3 in these next two series would be outstanding, 2-4 is bare minimum, and anything less most likely keeps us from 15 win mark.
Baseball is a funny and fickle game, but we're definitely not trending in the right direction. Pitching has been too inconsistent all year, the bottom 1/3 of our batting order has been bad and some of our veterans have struggled at the plate. Only Cags and Evans are hitting better than they did last year. But who knows? Maybe they can put it all together and get hot. There's always hope until there's not.

If we could pitch even a little bit, we could definitely scratch our way into the postseason. Lineup is very uneven but we’re still hitting HRs and we’ve been putting up 8-10 runs a game since Mizzou Sunday.

Our pitching was bad last year, but we had two very good starters and Cags, so that kind of papered over our problems in middle relief. Disappointing that all those young guys from last year are pitching pretty much the same. And our young guys this year flash plenty of stuff but they haven’t been able to get anyone out.

Reactions: Countygator1
Need to get this one today. I feel like Vandy is a really solid team but they’re not necessarily going to run away from you on offense, so if we can get some good innings from Neely, maybe we can knock a couple out and get a game 1 win.

Due to weather, Thursday's game has been moved up from 7:30 to 6 pm and will be on the SEC Network.

I’m sure it’s basically rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic but some of these pitching decisions are head scratchers. Neely has pretty well shown he is a 2-3 inning pitcher, which I mean he was your closer two weeks ago so of course. So it’s baffling to me that we let him go out there and get lumped in the 5th inning. Bullpen should be going full blast after the third inning I would think.

And then starting Coppola last week, first inning pitched of the year comes on an SEC Saturday and he gets absolutely shelled. We lost that game 10-9.

the starter today is the dreaded TBA.

Reactions: gatordad3
I’m sure it’s basically rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic but some of these pitching decisions are head scratchers. Neely has pretty well shown he is a 2-3 inning pitcher, which I mean he was your closer two weeks ago so of course. So it’s baffling to me that we let him go out there and get lumped in the 5th inning. Bullpen should be going full blast after the third inning I would think.

And then starting Coppola last week, first inning pitched of the year comes on an SEC Saturday and he gets absolutely shelled. We lost that game 10-9.

the starter today is the dreaded TBA.
My guess is Coppola again.

Before I criticize I’m going to need to confirm that our defense in the 8th inning wasn’t actually an audition for “Bad News Bears Part 3.”

Just need to avoid the sweep this weekend. Pick off a win and it gives us a chance to get to 15.
You’re thinking 1 of three then win series vs UT, UK and UGA? I could see it.

I’m thinking, let’s win Friday. We can do it, we’ve got three or four guys that can wreck games with the long ball.

One thing about Arky is they haven’t been running away from anyone (although they haven’t hit against our pitching yet to be fair). They win with pitching. Let’s launch a couple on Friday and give ourselves 2 chances to win a series.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
You’re thinking 1 of three then win series vs UT, UK and UGA? I could see it.

I’m thinking, let’s win Friday. We can do it, we’ve got three or four guys that can wreck games with the long ball.

One thing about Arky is they haven’t been running away from anyone (although they haven’t hit against our pitching yet to be fair). They win with pitching. Let’s launch a couple on Friday and give ourselves 2 chances to win a series.
Possible, but highly unlikely, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT