ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Gator baseball

We currently have no pitching whatsoever. Need another kill crazy rampage from cags tomorrow to win the series. One thing that I’ve noticed: we never ever throw a breaking ball for a strike. I mean never. It is either fastball or breaking pitch low and away.

St Mary's is actually a decent team, but not 19 runs over two games good. Lots of young arms on the bench, let's see if we can find one to surprise us like has happened the last few seasons.

Ocala I see that Rhode Island put up 11 against Texas AM today.
Yep - But they blew an 11-7 late and the Aggies came back to win the game 12-11. They're 16-0 with a game vs. Sam Houston before coming to Gainesville. FSU comes to town Tuesday night undefeated as well. Pitching staff need to come around really quick.

Bottom line is you can’t go wrong winning a series. St Mary’s is pretty good I think. Be interested to see who gets the start against FSU. Think I’d roll with Fisher Jameson.

Looks like Philpot today. Philpot is pretty nasty, but he does get touched up. His ERA is a little misleading because it seems like he’s allowed a few inherited runners to score. He can really bring it but I have my doubts how long he can keep it up before the base runners start piling up. He’s as good an option as anyone though.

Fisher Jameson might be too important out of the bullpen on the weekends I guess. He and Slater have been the only reliable guys.

Looks like Philpot today. Philpot is pretty nasty, but he does get touched up. His ERA is a little misleading because it seems like he’s allowed a few inherited runners to score. He can really bring it but I have my doubts how long he can keep it up before the base runners start piling up. He’s as good an option as anyone though.

Fisher Jameson might be too important out of the bullpen on the weekends I guess. He and Slater have been the only reliable guys.ts
Anyone of our pitchers could throw lights out, or anyone of them could get the lights thrown out of them. Nolies look pretty good this year.

I'm jumping on board with Ocala, Sully got his work cut out for him. 3 runs in so far off 1 infield hit. Walks and an error. Meanwhile we chase every first pitch we see. This thing could get ugly tonight.

4-0 now. Might get run ruled in our own park. Gators still swinging away at first pitch balls.

Can we please stop swinging at the first pitch. Got the first two guys on then back to back first pitch swings and the inning is over. Just like that. See some freaking pitches.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradleygator
I completely agree as far as our approach at bat and pitching. Throw strikes and make them throw strikes. Easier said than done obviously, but man.

Anyone of our pitchers could throw lights out, or anyone of them could get the lights thrown out of them. Nolies look pretty good this year.
We’re like second in the SEC in strikeouts and 15 out of 16 in ERA.

Noles continue to knock us around. We just have no answers in the bullpen.

Man. Slater comes in and gets shelled. You would hope not to even have to use him midweek and he gets lit up. Smdh.

We're just not very good this year. I lectured Ocala earlier about not hitting the panic button, so I will apologize to him for that. He was spot on, as he usually is. Seems like all night the nole hitters are in 2-0 counts and we are in 0-2 counts. Nolies worked the portal really well and proved how quickly you can turn it around. I didn't realize they were 13 games under .500 last year. But they are light years ahead of us this season.

And is there some reason Dale Thomas is our full time third baseman? Did I miss something? Not a good hitter and average glove.

We're just not very good this year. I lectured Ocala earlier about not hitting the panic button, so I will apologize to him for that. He was spot on, as he usually is. Seems like all night the nole hitters are in 2-0 counts and we are in 0-2 counts. Nolies worked the portal really well and proved how quickly you can turn it around. I didn't realize they were 13 games under .500 last year. But they are light years ahead of us this season.
It’s baseball. And weekday college baseball at that. So I wouldn’t pull the ripcord just yet. But so far we just have no answers from our pitching staff. Sully has to find 5 or 6 guys that can at least slow the bats down a little bit and get them in the game at the right time.

One thing is that HRs are way up in NCAAB. A lot of speculation that the ball is juiced, which obviously doesn’t benefit us. But yeah our pitching is horrific so far. And it was bad last year. And all these guys are top top recruits so it is a head scratcher.

Our offense will be good.

Big thing is in the SEC if we can scratch out one win out of 2, we’ve got Cags going on Sundays, so that is a big advantage.

If we finish +.500 in the SEC, we’ll at least host a regional. And you have to hope some of these freshman pitchers figure it out as the season progresses.

It’s baseball. And weekday college baseball at that. So I wouldn’t pull the ripcord just yet. But so far we just have no answers from our pitching staff. Sully has to find 5 or 6 guys that can at least slow the bats down a little bit and get them in the game at the right time.

One thing is that HRs are way up in NCAAB. A lot of speculation that the ball is juiced, which obviously doesn’t benefit us. But yeah our pitching is horrific so far. And it was bad last year. And all these guys are top top recruits so it is a head scratcher.

Our offense will be good.
I'm hanging on tight to Ocala's parachute! On a serious note, our conference schedule is brutal, absolutely brutal. Arky, AM, Vandy, Tenn, SC and for fun LSU. That's 4 top 10 teams and all in the top 15. Holy smokes...

Reactions: bradleygator
One thing I don’t get is we start Philpot and then come in with F. Jameson after. If you’re not trying to save Jameson, he should start over philpott no question. That’s a mistake. And then you bring in Jameson with guys on base and he’s not as good as he should be.

I'm hanging on tight to Ocala's parachute! On a serious note, our conference schedule is brutal, absolutely brutal. Arky, AM, Vandy, Tenn, SC and for fun LSU. That's 4 top 10 teams and all in the top 15. Holy smokes...

Probably everyone in the SEC is looking at something similar. It is a nutso league. Maybe the best conference out of all the major sports.

Probably everyone in the SEC is looking at something similar. It is a nutso league. Maybe the best conference out of all the major sports.
Then we will throw in Texas and OU next year. Probably talking 12 ncaa bids every year. Could have a 12-18 conference and still be a top 25 team.

This team is not very good. Might be Sully's worst team since he's been in Gainesville. 2nd most runs the noles have scored against Sully. Crazy.

I don’t know if they’re going to be the worst team. Cags is probably the best player we’ve ever had. Shelton is probably a first rounder. Heyman, Kurland. We’re as good at bat as most years under Sully. We’ve been playing good defense but fell off a little bit last few games.

This is the most non competitive our pitching has been this late in the season. All the guys sully is pitching are projected mlb draft picks so just have to hope they figure it out.

They’re just a young talented team. Who knows if the pitching gets there, but sully is the right guy to figure it out. Looks like SEC play is going to be war for us.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Pitching is awful. Lots of talent and we're to score runs, but can't just outscore everybody we play. Start the SEC season hosting undefeated Texas A&M, the go to #2 LSU. Brutal.

Pitching is awful. Lots of talent and we're to score runs, but can't just outscore everybody we play. Start the SEC season hosting undefeated Texas A&M, the go to #2 LSU. Brutal.
Simple things like throwing strikes seems to be a problem. Get ahead in the count doesn't resonate with these guys.

@gatorshime @ih8f$u ☝️

homer simpson crying GIF

Simple things like throwing strikes seems to be a problem. Get ahead in the count doesn't resonate with these guys.
It’s one thing if you throw a fastball and miss. I don’t understand all the breaking balls early in the count. Sully is always complained by about these guys getting in obvious fastball counts and then it seems like we start every batter off with that breaking ball low and away.

I think the weekend rotation has been ok. Not good except cags, but good enough to keep us in games. Bullpen has been non-competitive. Let’s scratch out one out of 2 and then let cags do his thing.

I think the weekend rotation has been ok. Not good except cags, but good enough to keep us in games. Bullpen has been non-competitive. Let’s scratch out one out of 2 and then let cags do his thing.
Totally disagree. You expect your weekend starters to go 5 innings minimum, 6 or 7 on good outings, giving up no more than 3 earned runs. And overall their ERA needs to be well under 5.00. Cade Fisher has 4 starts, has pitched a total of 16 innings (avg. of 4 innings per start), BA against .310, ERA 7.56. Liam Peterson has 4 starts, pitched a total of 16 innings, with an ERA of 5.06. Caglionone has 3 starts, pitched a total of 15 innings (avg. 5 innings per start), with an ERA of 1.86. Cags has been stellar, although he throws too many pitches to go deep into games. Fisher & Peterson have been disasters so far as weekend starters. Granted, the bullpen has been awful and we're last in the SEC in Team ERA at 5.76. But 2 of our 3 weekend starts have NOT been OK. They've been bad. Sully has been forced to go to his bullpen way too early on Friday & Saturday, stressing the staff. Hopefully, starting tonight, they turn it around.

Another terrible start from Cade Fisher. After a clean 1st inning he gives up 5 in the top of the 2nd after being given a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the 1st.

UF baseball overcomes a 5-2 deficit and gives Texas A&M their first loss of the year 8-6. Brandon Neely was great, getting a 3 inning, shutdown save. 5 HR's for the Gator offense against the #1 ERA team in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT