ADVERTISEMENT

$15 an hour to flip burgers at McDonalds

passoverGator

Bull Gator
Sep 26, 2002
sick0006.r191677.gif

In Europe McD;s is installing thousands of automated teller machines, and there are machines in development which can cook hundreds of burgers per hour. So, besides the obvious question of just how much are people willing to pay for fast food so these clowns can get $15/hr, just how many of them will really be needed?

Originally posted by Ghost of Spaceheater:
Fast food jobs SHOULD NOT pay a living wage.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Agree.
I never in a million years expected to make enough $ to live off of when I worked at Capt'n D's in High School!

No,at least in entry level positions, but it can be a huge oppurtunity for those individuals with integrity and work ethic. You can make a living wage in management.

dje-

You hit on the issue I always try to sell to my liberal co-workers. I tell them to sit in Wal-Mart and watch the employees. Most people I know would work circles around most those people and would be compensated better for better positions in no time. Same is true of fast food. If one wants to display work ethic and a proper personality they will move in the right direction.

Originally posted by Gator Bait96:

This^^^^^^^
Unless they're willing to, the rest of us are stuck subsidizing groceries (SNAP / food stamps), housing (Section 8), medical coverage (Medicaid), and personal savings (Unemployment Compensation) etc. for the "fast food" labor pool. How nice that Wally doesn't have to be competitive and offer benefits, etc??

With the decline in workers being able get together and collectively
sell their labor for a fair market price (Unions), something that seems
wholly capitalistic to me- We're stuck picking up the tab in the absence of a labor market.

I'd rather choose where I spend my $ by cutting down on my McRib consumption (gasp!) than to let the 'gubment decide on what I'm subsidizing..

Anyone else get pissed when you see someone pull a food-stamp card out of a $400 Coach purse? Pay them the $ and let them pick their priorities like the rest of us.

I'd rather see that current subsidy money going into a culture shift that emphasizes self-sufficiency, education and job training that provides a bit of leverage for the individual to actually improve their station, but we're a long way off.

This post was edited on 12/16 5:57 PM by CommieGator

Every time labor unions are described as a free market phenomenon, a welfare queen gets a tiara.

Unions are designed to eliminate competition the same exact way that cartels do. If you are against monopoly power for suppliers, you are against labor unions or your personal philosophy is dangerously inconsistent.

An individual, low-skilled worker has essentially no leverage to negotiate wages. When an employer knows that they can find someone else and train them to do your job in less than a day, they are immune to pressure, and can dictate terms. The only (non-violent) way around this is through organizing unions or legislation.

Or, learn a skill that is not so easy to find.

Originally posted by Uniformed_ReRe:
An individual, low-skilled worker has essentially no leverage to negotiate wages. When an employer knows that they can find someone else and train them to do your job in less than a day, they are immune to pressure, and can dictate terms. The only (non-violent) way around this is through organizing unions or legislation.

Did you think of this all by yourself or did you read it somewhere..?

Originally posted by CommieGator:
Originally posted by Gator Bait96:

This^^^^^^^
Unless they're willing to, the rest of us are stuck subsidizing groceries (SNAP / food stamps), housing (Section 8), medical coverage (Medicaid), and personal savings (Unemployment Compensation) etc. for the "fast food" labor pool. How nice that Wally doesn't have to be competitive and offer benefits, etc??

With the decline in workers being able get together and collectively
sell their labor for a fair market price (Unions), something that seems
wholly capitalistic to me- We're stuck picking up the tab in the absence of a labor market.

I'd rather choose where I spend my $ by cutting down on my McRib consumption (gasp!) than to let the 'gubment decide on what I'm subsidizing..

Anyone else get pissed when you see someone pull a food-stamp card out of a $400 Coach purse? Pay them the $ and let them pick their priorities like the rest of us.

I'd rather see that current subsidy money going into a culture shift that emphasizes self-sufficiency, education and job training that provides a bit of leverage for the individual to actually improve their station, but we're a long way off.

This post was edited on 12/16 5:57 PM by CommieGator
Unless you are in the top 10% of wage earners you likely are not subsidizing anything.

Originally posted by Dr. Nole:

Agree.
I never in a million years expected to make enough $ to live off of when I worked at Capt'n D's in High School!
Ha!

That's where I worked in HS/....

nothing like the smell of COD when you get off of work on a Friday night and go out....The ladies LOVED it

Originally posted by SwamiG8R:
Originally posted by Dr. Nole:

Agree.
Ha!

That's where I worked in HS/....

nothing like the smell of COD when you get off of work on a Friday night and go out....The ladies LOVED it
I'll bet!
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by steffen91:
Originally posted by Uniformed_ReRe:

Did you think of this all by yourself or did you read it somewhere..?
Yes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT