ADVERTISEMENT

Zaire to Florida

What's going on with the Notre Dame QB's heading to the Sunshine State? Malik Zaire and Everett Golson were the top two QB's on the ND roster in 2014. Then Golson started for FSU in 2015.

Yeah, and do let me know when the UAA comes knocking down your door to offer you ANY job at UF,,,, since you're both so smart about phootball...

Now I'm really LMFAO!!!
hysterical-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif

I just really wish that I could buy the both of you for what you're REALLY worth,,,
and then sell you both for what you THINK you're worth...

I'd be livin' the good life, on some high-$$$ tropical beach somewhere...

you wanna make a bet that I will end up getting a job at UF in your lifetime?

Can't cure stupid. He thinks that because Trask played on his 3rd and 7th series ONLY in HS that somehow proves his argument that he's good enough to be starting for UF. Stop for a second and digest that one. Because top QB prospects only play two series a game in HS. Oh wait....

I did digest it, and I could only come up with one word to respond to it earlier in the thread...

Now that you both have proven your inability to give an Eval. I can move on and leave you two kissing and fawning over each other's mutual stupidity. :confused:
===============

Basic QB Eval on Kyle Trask by iG:

Size-Strength-Mobility -- 6-4 238 4.68/40

Mental-Makeup -- Eagle Scout, Scholar Athlete, Calm

Accuracy -- 70+% completions. (HS Sr 17 TD's, 0 Ints)

Release / Arm Strength -- 55 yards standing flat footed or on the run. Longer when set up.

Bottom Line -- We'll never know for sure until and unless the Mc-Nuss combo puts him in a game.
===========

Zaire has yet to throw his 100th career college pass. He hasn’t had any reps in front of the Florida coaches like Franks and Trask did all spring. He isn’t as experienced as Del Rio, who went 5-1 as the team’s starter last year. Zaire and LDR have each had ONE good game in college, :rolleyes: so not that much to go on is it?
=========

What iG saw:

Trask was the best QB in the 2015 Spring game, not even close.

Trask was the best QB in the 2016 Spring game, not even close.

Then why Franks?

Speculation from iG:
They had to promise Franks something to get him to flip from LSU. They should never have done that, but there you go... Now in consecutive Springs they have done so, but Franks still stinks on ice (never went against the 2017 1-D), and Trask is still the better option imo.

How do they get out of this QB quandary? They being in Zaire, then they do the ole Grad-xfer + LDR shuffle again, hoping to get Fields in 2018 when it will be just fine to start a true Fr QB. -- This will get them past all of the former cluster at QB: LDR-Happyby-Zaire-Trask-Franks, and without ever having to own up to anything that might have gone on before? :cool:

Now, that could be all 100% correct, 50% correct, or total bs, and I have no real clue what the reality is, but I've been smelling a rat for 2 years now.... Remember--- Speculation!

So what? Allen and Toney will battle to be Fields backup in 2018? As the QB cluster will apparently continue... I see both Franks and Trask finally having enough of this chit and moving on to greener pastures. Not what I'm hoping at all, just what is running through my mind as I watch this continuing QB cluster unfolding... :oops:

Im so glad insta just reverse jinxed my dream job for sure...

i might need a drink for the first time in a year now, dannys buying on this fateful day in history... i'd have to delete this account and any history

Reactions: Dannygator1989
That's simply not true.

But it makes you feel good to think I'm some sort of loser, moronic failure.

Naw, I actually feel kinda sorry for your dumb loser azz. :oops:

It's just that you're such a flamin' A-hole that it eats up any real sympathy that I might have ever had for you. o_O

Naw, I actually feel kinda sorry for your dumb loser azz. :oops:

It's just that you're such a flamin' A-hole that it eats up any real sympathy that I might have ever had for you. o_O

I'm an "A-Hole' because I respond to you (on a message board) and don't agree with you?

Surely you know how absurd that sounds.

The polite thing to do when you've been shown to be an ignorant idiot,,, is to say excuse me, and then STFU. Of course, for a typical moron like yourself, the BS never ends, while your 'selective memory' shifts into over-drive... o_O
=============

PS -- edit

I couldn't find any site that lists fumbles for the players, (only defensive fumbles caused) as I was curious about it. Anyone who knows where to look is free to list them for us, unlike many here, I never duck the stats. o_O

Now, let's just address your main whine about a single Thompson catch, shall we? :cool:

Thompson receiving, without his longest reception - 3 for 20 yds, 6.7 yds/rec (L-85 yds for an Outback Bowl record TD)

Scarlett receiving, without his longest reception ----- 3 for 10 yds, 3.3 yds/rec (L-13 yds)

Is that better for you, or would you like to try something else on RB's receiving out of the backfield, which is where this started before you barged in with your usual ignorant chit. :rolleyes:

All I can say is this Insta, Scarlett and Zaire are guys I have liked since they were first mentioned as Gators. You have latched yourself to Trask and Thompson. Lets see how it plays out over the course of the season, we'll see whose evaluations are more accurate.

Listening to Spurrier talk about Zaire arriving at Florida it almost gave you the feeling he thinks Franks may end up starting against Michigan due to Zaire only having 3 weeks or so to get ready in practice before the opener. He didn't specifically say that but it seemed to come off that way despite him saying Zaire was really ready to get going. He hardly mentioned LDR at all. I just hope Mac and them are willing to change things up at halftime if the stage looks too big for Franks in his first start if he does get named the starter for game 1.

Listening to Spurrier talk about Zaire arriving at Florida it almost gave you the feeling he thinks Franks may end up starting against Michigan due to Zaire only having 3 weeks or so to get ready in practice before the opener. He didn't specifically say that but it seemed to come off that way despite him saying Zaire was really ready to get going. He hardly mentioned LDR at all. I just hope Mac and them are willing to change things up at halftime if the stage looks too big for Franks in his first start if he does get named the starter for game 1.

I can definitely see that but I would assume the game plans would be different so I would think its something they will decide early on. Maybe not share, but decide

Reactions: Gator Fever
I can definitely see that but I would assume the game plans would be different so I would think its something they will decide early on. Maybe not share, but decide

Yep my guess is they wont announce a starter until just before the game but I just hope they don't go in saying its Franks the entire game no matter what basically. They need to play to win whatever it takes. Franks may show he is a natural but if he is hurting the team and the game is still in reach they should make the switch imo.

Yep my guess is they wont announce a starter until just before the game but I just hope they don't go in saying its Franks the entire game no matter what basically. They need to play to win whatever it takes. Franks may show he is a natural but if he is hurting the team and the game is still in reach they should make the switch imo.

And its not a cupcake so its harder to do the every other series thing. I would just start the guy they think will be the guy for the year. If they truly think Zaire is the man for the year then just go with it. This is a big game for setting the tone for the season and Brown is one of the best DC out there, so who knows, Zaire game experience may be the best bet

And its not a cupcake so its harder to do the every other series thing. I would just start the guy they think will be the guy for the year. If they truly think Zaire is the man for the year then just go with it. This is a big game for setting the tone for the season and Brown is one of the best DC out there, so who knows, Zaire game experience may be the best bet

Zaire is a smart guy, and he has plenty of time with the playbook, so that shouldn't be an issue really.

Three weeks to get cohesion with the first team unit may be an issue, but, if he comes in and really shows that he can be better than Franks overall, then I think he should start, regardless.

Also, hasn't he had to gameplay before against Harbaugh? That might help as well.

Zaire is a smart guy, and he has plenty of time with the playbook, so that shouldn't be an issue really.

Three weeks to get cohesion with the first team unit may be an issue, but, if he comes in and really shows that he can be better than Franks overall, then I think he should start, regardless.

Also, hasn't he had to gameplay before against Harbaugh? That might help as well.

I don't think he has faced Harbaugh because Harbaugh hasn't faced ND at Michigan yet and Zaire was not at ND while Harbaugh was at Stanford.

And I think we pretty much agree on Zaire. As a 5th year player I think he should be fine catching up. Plus, like Numbers as stated, our playbook looks like a kids coloring book compared to Brian Kelly's.

So it comes down to cohesion with the first unit v. overall game experience. But after hearing the game is too fast for Franks and Trask when they rep against the first D I cannot see how throwing them out there against a Harbaugh team with a Don Brown defense is a good idea. Just seems like the best bet is to go with Zaire, especially if that is Mac's plan for the year.

I don't think he has faced Harbaugh because Harbaugh hasn't faced ND at Michigan yet and Zaire was not at ND while Harbaugh was at Stanford.

And I think we pretty much agree on Zaire. As a 5th year player I think he should be fine catching up. Plus, like Numbers as stated, our playbook looks like a kids coloring book compared to Brian Kelly's.

So it comes down to cohesion with the first unit v. overall game experience. But after hearing the game is too fast for Franks and Trask when they rep against the first D I cannot see how throwing them out there against a Harbaugh team with a Don Brown defense is a good idea. Just seems like the best bet is to go with Zaire, especially if that is Mac's plan for the year.

Yep I watched that Michigan defense a few times last season and Brown just has them blitz like crazy. I think Zaire with his mobility and having played a little already would be better prepared to deal with it. Michigan's defense feasts on teams that don't get rid of the ball quick or can't impose their will on them physically. FSU scored on them but it was all big plays for the most part and I think the FSU QB only completed like 1/3 of his passes but he burnt them on a few passes that went for a bunch of yards and that RB broke off some big runs on them.

first game will be a low scoring ugly game and the mistakes will decide it, we could start him that game and be very vanilla and limit turnovers.. you need a guy like that to start in a first game like this on a huge stage in a huge stadium neutral site like the UGA game.. Zaire is perfectly capable of doing enough to run the football and add some PA and safe easy passes not panicking and turning the ball over, because on the other end you have a FIRST time starter ever against a really good coached defense with some talent new players or not that come after you and good DC.. With Zaires legs on top of that mixed in when needed or dialed up runs, i literally can't think of a reason not to start him for that game EVEN if you want to work Franks in more for the next game and ease him into the rest of the season and his career even if you wanted him to be the starter.. That's just too much risk unless he flat out takes over the huddle in fall camp and wins the team over and is playing much better than Zaire, and the fans that know enough about football know that just ain't gonna happen or be the case in August-september... Having Zaire for this first game is big and im sure our coaches know enough to know what im seeing

I guess Notre Dame going to a semi-ACC schedule kept them from playing Michigan as much as they used to.

And what Numbers said about experience and limiting turnovers, is pretty true.

The angst that some have shown about wasting the young guys is overblown as well.

Franks and Trask are both RS freshman. I'll be surprised if one of them doesn't get any playing time this year, but regardless, they'll be sophomores next year.

The concern about a RS Sophomore meaning they could leave after that year is also a bit much.

Most GMs are weary of guys with such limited experience...on top of that...it would imply the QB had one hell of a year.

'Experience' at the QB position the way people talk about it now is overrated. It meant a whole lot more 15-20 years ago when every QB in HS ran the Wing-T or triple option and coaches literally had to teach them how to play QB from the ground up when most of them had not even done something as simple as take a 3-step drop. That's why QB's had to sit for years to learn how to play. Now most HS's run the spread and have their QB's throwing it 30+ times a game and the top QB's have personal QB coaches from the time they're teenagers. Not to mention things like year round 7-on-7 where they get exposed to more complicated route trees at an early age. The belief that you need an upperclassman QB to win is antiquated.

Besides, bad experience doesn't mean anything. What y'all are essentially saying is you'd rather a guy who's proven to be mediocre at best rather than take a chance on a player who is unknown but might be better (or worse too). It's a scared mentality. And why are we acting like Zaire didn't play last year and looked like trash when he still had every opportunity to win the job?

TX: 2-5, 40%
Nevada: 4-9, 44.4%

After those performances Kelly ended the QB battle and made Kizer the starter for good. And both those defenses were god awful. But everybody keeps wanting to point to an LSU game from 3 years ago like we don't have any recent performances. Even the game he got hurt against UVA in 2015 he was 7/18, 39% completion and their defense sucked too. Regardless, call me a pessimist but I don't think its gonna matter anyway. Nuss against Don Brown is a laughable mismatch in favor of Michigan, I don't care how many starters they've lost. Barring turnovers and/or our defense and special teams giving us short fields all night we aren't scoring more than 20.

'Experience' at the QB position the way people talk about it now is overrated. It meant a whole lot more 15-20 years ago when every QB in HS ran the Wing-T or triple option and coaches literally had to teach them how to play QB from the ground up when most of them had not even done something as simple as take a 3-step drop. That's why QB's had to sit for years to learn how to play. Now most HS's run the spread and have their QB's throwing it 30+ times a game and the top QB's have personal QB coaches from the time they're teenagers. Not to mention things like year round 7-on-7 where they get exposed to more complicated route trees at an early age. The belief that you need an upperclassman QB to win is antiquated.

Besides, bad experience doesn't mean anything. What y'all are essentially saying is you'd rather a guy who's proven to be mediocre at best rather than take a chance on a player who is unknown but might be better (or worse too). It's a scared mentality. And why are we acting like Zaire didn't play last year and looked like trash when he still had every opportunity to win the job?

TX: 2-5, 40%
Nevada: 4-9, 44.4%

After those performances Kelly ended the QB battle and made Kizer the starter for good. And both those defenses were god awful. But everybody keeps wanting to point to an LSU game from 3 years ago like we don't have any recent performances. Even the game he got hurt against UVA in 2015 he was 7/18, 39% completion and their defense sucked too. Regardless, call me a pessimist but I don't think its gonna matter anyway. Nuss against Don Brown is a laughable mismatch in favor of Michigan, I don't care how many starters they've lost. Barring turnovers and/or our defense and special teams giving us short fields all night we aren't scoring more than 20.

Nuss could lose angame with Tom Brady as his starting QB. I mean Inam pulling for Zaire as much as anyone based in the skill set, but to pretend Brown v Nuss isn't on par with Tuson v Spinx is just silly

Nuss could lose angame with Tom Brady as his starting QB. I mean Inam pulling for Zaire as much as anyone based in the skill set, but to pretend Brown v Nuss isn't on par with Tuson v Spinx is just silly

Right. And that's why to me this is all just baseless wishing. Much as it may come off that way I don't hate the idea of Zaire, I just know he isn't good enough to overcome the disaster that is Nuss. And I still have zero reason to believe they're changing the offense to compensate for the fact that he's a mediocre at best passer. So good luck with that. Y'all might be in for a rude awakening.

Reactions: seffnergator
Right. And that's why to me this is all just baseless wishing. Much as it may come off that way I don't hate the idea of Zaire, I just know he isn't good enough to overcome the disaster that is Nuss. And I still have zero reason to believe they're changing the offense to compensate for the fact that he's a mediocre at best passer. So good luck with that. Y'all might be in for a rude awakening.

I thought Zaire was your boy?

That's what the rumor is.

All I can say is this Insta, Scarlett and Zaire are guys I have liked since they were first mentioned as Gators. You have latched yourself to Trask and Thompson. Lets see how it plays out over the course of the season, we'll see whose evaluations are more accurate.

Your attempts to speak for what and who I like as Gator players is laughable, besides being incorrect more often than not. :confused:

I liked Perine long before he got to UF, and I said so. Last summer, I called him my 'dark-horse' for UF's best new player, and he came through admiralty imo. I did and do like Thompson on the field, while I was a bit disgusted with him off the field. IF he gets squared away off the field, then he has a chance to be one of the better 'all around' RB's on the field, like an older Perine. That's yet to be seen, but he has a chance.
I have the same feeling/opinion about Malik Davis that I had about Perine, while Lemons seems to have some of the same 'off the field' issues that Scarlett and Thompson have had.

As to Trask, I've yet to see him given a real 'fair/equal' chance to do anything at UF. Franks seem to me to be the 'anointed' one, as opposed to actually being the one that's out performed the others on the field. Flip promises could be the issue there??? :oops:

Zaire is another Grad-xfer 'waste of time joke' in the overall program imo, but we'll see. Scarlett is a decent enough RB, but not much of a receiver so far, and he was spoon fed his rushing TD's last season imo. :rolleyes:

And if you don't think that 'team/school politics' play a huge part in who plays, and how much they play at UF, then you're even dumber than you look/sound... o_O
=============

Should we all put the correct names on things?
Calling it 'Coach Speak' and shrugging it off as the expected behavior norm needs to end imo. o_O

I'll just call it what it is from now on, when/if it's detected, it's 'Lying Fake News' from a coach.....

I believe that most people realize that a coach can't tell the fans everything, without also telling it to his rivals and to everyone else in the world, but outright lying, especially to his teams own fans should be off the table.

If they don't want to put out certain facts or details, well and good, but what they do put out needs to be 'real' instead of total BS. Because IF outright lying has become a part of everyday coaching, then in the future I'll never bother to listen to, or give any credibility at all to anything coming out of a coaches lying mouth. o_O

Withholding from the world, information that could harm your own team is okay, but flat out lying to your own fan base is not okay. As always, jmoho's. :cool:

And here is the ugly counter to that position... :oops:

~ The secret to success in life is honesty and fair dealing.
So, if you can fake that, you've got it made.
o_O

Last edited:
http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/notre-dame-figures-out-qbs-keeping-brandon-wimbush-engaged-priority

Keeping a redshirting quarterback engaged is a difficult challenge: Notre Dame lost Zaire for a stretch during his redshirt 2013 season, for example. Wimbush has only received sparing reps in seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 work during preseason camp, and unless something happens to Kizer or Zaire, those intermittent third-team reps will continue through the end of the regular season.
-------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a big can of worms might be opening up for our QB situation as Zaire's dad says they will be petitioning the NCAA for a 6th year in Zaire's eligibility window. At first I thought he wouldn't be eligible but the NCAA does have the authority to treat an initial redshirt season as a non-voluntary lost year if the player was injured during it and missed a lot of practice time if there are medical records to back that up.

If that was likely to materialize Franks would probably transfer if Zaire gets the job over him.

Last edited:
http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/notre-dame-figures-out-qbs-keeping-brandon-wimbush-engaged-priority

Keeping a redshirting quarterback engaged is a difficult challenge: Notre Dame lost Zaire for a stretch during his redshirt 2013 season, for example. Wimbush has only received sparing reps in seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 work during preseason camp, and unless something happens to Kizer or Zaire, those intermittent third-team reps will continue through the end of the regular season.
-------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a big can of worms might be opening up for our QB situation as Zaire's dad says they will be petitioning the NCAA for a 6th year in Zaire's eligibility window. At first I thought he wouldn't be eligible but the NCAA does have the authority to treat an initial redshirt season as a non-voluntary lost year if the player was injured during it and missed a lot of practice time if there are medical records to back that up.

If that was likely to materialize Franks would probably transfer if Zaire gets the job over him.

Well if that happens, we need to hope Zaire is the real deal.

And recruit a QB to take over when Zaire is done.

I don't think Mac has ever recruited a kid harder than he is Justin Fields. Seem to be a UF-UGA race for him. Kirby is promising to change his offense to one that uses a DT-QB. If we successfully demonstrate anything to that degree with zaire we mau gain an edge, who knows

FACT #1 -- Mc-Nuss have not and can not choose or recruit a single good QB's.

FACT #2 --
Mc-Nuss can't coach up any QB and their offense sucks.
==================

Result #1 -- They are bringing in Zaire because they have judged him to be a great QB.

Result #2 -- They will be successfully recruiting Fields because he wants to play for great coaches that can further his abilities with their great coaching skills....
===========

But I'm the one that's clueless and makes no 'logical sense' about the Gator Coaches and/or their chosen QB's?

ROTF -- LMFAO
hysterical-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'm starting to forget what it's like to NOT have a season that's injury riddled.
There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

Malik Zaire's incredible 2016 QB stats for the neutered lame:
On the negative-nellie side of things:
Passing - 8 of 18, 44.4% for 92 yds, 5.1 yds/att, 0 TD's.
Rushing -
20 for 34 yds, 1.7 ypc, 0 TD's.

I guess that Ole Jelly-Belly-Kelly just doesn't recognize true QB talent when he sees it.
No wonder they put MZ on the Maxwell Award Watch List for the 3rd straight year. :rolleyes:

That award is for the College Player of the Year, and he's a sure thing to win it I'm guessing... :confused:
---------------
But to be fair about it, he did do a bit better way back in 2015 when he started their 1st 2 games against 2 power house teams; 5-7 TX and 4-8 VA.... :oops:

Passing - 26 of 40, 65% for 428 yds, 10.7 yds/comp, 4 TD's.
Rushing - 19 for 103 yds, 5.4 ypc, 0 TD's.

MZ's 3 year college Career:
Passing - 34 of 58, 58.6% for 510 yds, 8.8 yds/comp, 4 TD's.
Rushing - 39 for 137 yds, 3.5 ypc, 0 TD's.

Before being 'dual-threat' injured out for the rest of the season. All of this leads me to believe that he should have no trouble at all in leading the Gators to big wins over the likes of Mich, TN, LSU, aTm, UGa, SCa, FSU, UA, plus a Jan. Bowl opponent. o_O
================

I just thought of something. What IF I've got it all wrong about why Mc brought MZ in? What if it's his own subtle way of lighting a bon-fire under the 2 rsFr QB's, Franks and Trask, for one of them to really step up during August and take the starting job..... yeah, I'm prolly just dreamin'....:confused:

Now, IF they start MZ,,, and IF he plays well,,, I'll be a somewhat content Gator fan. Not happy though, because of all of their other recruited QB's rotting on the sidelines, and then who starts in 2018?

Here we go,,, yet again.... And oh BTW, who's out there as a future Grad-xfer to bring in for 2018??? Never to early to start looking for their next johnny come lately hero... :cool:
===================

And lastly, why the heck didn't Mc take MZ with him to SEC Media-Daze so he could talk all about being a Gator student/athlete..... doh!
=========
============

Next year should be the year. There are only 10 departing Sr's on the roster (not counting W-O's) and only 7-8 of them are starter/players. They could also lose a few early departure Jr's, but the total of departures should not be more than about a dozen. Then add back the 2018 class and they are Lay-O-Ded for 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT