ADVERTISEMENT

Yawn….

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
N.I.L. Has ruined college football. Well the Portal has added to that also. There is about 10 teams that will have a chance to win it all EVERY year. You want to make things even again?

portal - you got to sit out a year. That would stop 50% of it immediately.

nil - must be reported by who made the deal, how much it is for
and every payment made public record. How about each school can have a set limit per player? Something to stop the madness. You can’t have the highest bidder crap. Some kind of way to make it an even field. Jimbo Fisher left FSU as he was getting out recruited and sucked as a coach and then he gets the best class EVER per Rivals?
See you MAYBE in August. Snoozeville theae days.

Last edited:
N.I.L. Has ruined college football. Well the Portal has added to that also. There is about 10 teams that will have a chance to win it all EVERY year. You want to make things even again?

and every payment made public record. How about each school can have a set limit per player? Something to stop the madness. You can’t have the highest bidder crap. Some kind of way to make it an even field. Jimbo Fisher left FSU as he was getting out recruited and sucked as a coach and then he gets the best class EVER per Rivals?

I wasn't even thinking about how it could affect the portal when NIL first started. I think once it really kicks in after a few classes these 5 or so teams appear to have the boosters willing to overpay the most - Texas A&M, Texas, Bama, Georgia and OSU followed by the next tier of schools which will include us probably. Miami had a booster (or whatever he was technically) actually calling out a basketball player who was talking about the portal saying the contract he had with him was pretty air tight or something similar.

Agree, it's even worse if you are not in the SEC or Big 10. I saw where the Big is going to get like 70 mill a yr lol The ACC gets like 30. There is just no way to compete with all of that

I understood why NIL came about but again I said it would end up being a terrible outcome for college sports, especially those college sports traditionalists like myself. For the most part gone are the days that kids are going to the school because they really love the university and glad to be an alumnus. Not going to see anymore Spurrier’s, Wuerrfel’s, Tebow’s, Lawrence Wrights and the list goes on and on. Kids that really also loved being a Gator in addition to being an athlete.

Crazy stuff. Now it's basically like having a system with free agency but no limiting contracts/restrictions. With the highest ranked recruits it's literally just a bidding war. Teams and/or boosters will need a NILologist to make sure they are wisely allocating those funds the best they can.

I understood why NIL came about but again I said it would end up being a terrible outcome for college sports, especially those college sports traditionalists like myself. For the most part gone are the days that kids are going to the school because they really love the university and glad to be an alumnus. Not going to see anymore Spurrier’s, Wuerrfel’s, Tebow’s, Lawrence Wrights and the list goes on and on. Kids that really also loved being a Gator in addition to being an athlete.
The NCAA could have gotten ahead of it all and implemented a system with some type of limits that would have held up to legal challenges, I think. But they chose to stick their heads in the sand and do nothing. Now it's a free for all.

It’s funny that services still refer to recruits as “commits,” because there is no “commitment” left in any of college football now.

The player you are cheering for today is the same one you may be rooting against playing for your rival next season.

It’s impossible to have the same level of passion for that like we had years ago…especially knowing the playing field is completely inequitable.

It makes sadgator feel sad and old…but at least we experienced it when it was good.

It’s funny that services still refer to recruits as “commits,” because there is no “commitment” left in any of college football now.

The player you are cheering for today is the same one you may be rooting against playing for your rival next season.

It’s impossible to have the same level of passion for that like we had years ago…especially knowing the playing field is completely inequitable.

It makes sadgator feel sad and old…but at least we experienced it when it was good.

Has not effected my enthusiasm in the slightest.

It's like people think that until recently, every player that chose to play for your team was as rah-rah and die-hard as the fans and now, not a single player cares about the team at all.

Yall should chill.

It's going to correct itself with, or without legislation.

Also, let's pretend that there's ever been some sort of "equity" in college football.

Read the story about the BC wide receiver Flowers.... he was offered 600k to ENTER the portal and come to a team. Tampering galore right now. Bama is raiding ACC playmakers (RB from G Tech and the WR from Louisville), hey I'm not complaining that makes our job easier. However, the tampering is terrible, we had 2 of our starters being tempted to enter the portal for money, luckily we had money to match the offers. Crazy what's being allowed. The tampering is INSANE

Has not effected my enthusiasm in the slightest.

It's like people think that until recently, every player that chose to play for your team was as rah-rah and die-hard as the fans and now, not a single player cares about the team at all.

Yall should chill.

It's going to correct itself with, or without legislation.

Also, let's pretend that there's ever been some sort of "equity" in college football.
Good points. But it does feel different now. The immediate no wait to play makes it feel much more transient and unstable than it was in the old days.

It all started with that damn bogus NCAA approved “immediate play” transfer of Justin Fields from UGA to Ohio St. sadgator firmly believes that every bad thing that has ever occurred in college football has roots in Athens.

The NCAA could have gotten ahead of it all and implemented a system with some type of limits that would have held up to legal challenges, I think. But they chose to stick their heads in the sand and do nothing. Now it's a free for all.
Mark Emmert was a complete disaster as the head of the NCAA….. but then it’s the NCAA presidents fault for hiring a nut-less, glad-handing, tone deaf, lifelong bureaucrat for that position

Reactions: nail1988

So...

Currently we have had a CFB playoff where 4 teams have taken 75% of the slots, and you are concerned that NIL is going to concentrate power? Idiot.

We had a rule where players had to sit out a year, but everybody had a sob story to get an exemption, so the NCAA was pretty much just playing favorites. Now everybody is playing by the same rules. Idiot.

NIL: There are privacy laws to keep people from having to publicly disclose their personal dealings. But you would force athletes to provide info you don't have to provide? Idiot.

So you want to limit the amount a player can be paid, how many can be paid, and the total amount per team? So basically, you want communism for players but free enterprise for yourself? Idiot.

Jimbo Fischer was getting out recruited because Bammer, LSU, tOSU, Okie, etc, were paying players and the FSU admin wouldn't allow the same (any more). Now the playing field has been levelled, and this is a bad thing? Idiot.

I hope I haven't been too subtle in describing my impression of you and your "thought processes".

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EvilWayz
Read the story about the BC wide receiver Flowers.... he was offered 600k to ENTER the portal and come to a team. Tampering galore right now. Bama is raiding ACC playmakers (RB from G Tech and the WR from Louisville), hey I'm not complaining that makes our job easier. However, the tampering is terrible, we had 2 of our starters being tempted to enter the portal for money, luckily we had money to match the offers. Crazy what's being allowed. The tampering is INSANE
When this sort of thing was being discussed 5 years ago, this is EXACTLY what I said would happen. So don't act surprised now, you'd been warned.

But if it makes you feel better, wealthy people in this country are wealthy because they know how to make a profit. There is zero profit in this for the donors. Let's get through a few years, let people see that, even though they gave 5M to their school to buy players, they still finished 8-4, there will be a revolt by the donors. I expect the next step to be the creation of a super-division where semi-pro teams license the name and logo of the schools and the schools are out of the equation, and the smaller schools can then go back to amateur athletics. This will also be a boon to schools concerning Title IX, when the football and men's basketball (and baseball) schools are no longer part of the university, and 90% of the budget has vanished, they can go back to ignoring all the unprofitable sports again.

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
…and can we all just take a second to acknowledge that LakerGator started this thread…

just wanted to put it out there so we don’t forget…
That bastard! The only thing worse would be a guy who has never paid Rivals a dime in the 1/4 CENTURY that’s he’s been a member.

Who is that?

One thing NIL has shown so far is most of those schools out west with the really rich donors don't care that much about football like these SEC and Texas school ones do. USC seems to be a late arriving player however with a bunch of bought portal guys though.

Reactions: fsu939913
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT