ADVERTISEMENT

NM

With Mertz, Miller, Engel, and now Gile, they don't need Brown, so it's okay that he's playing baseball instead of QB for the Gators.....

Between their 2 portal acquisitions and the 3 WO's, they're all set for 2023.
I put this in the xfer portal thread, but it fits here just as well I guess...

#3 QB-pp Graham Mertz 6-3 216 Grad-Sr - **** 0.9689 out of HS
Wis *** as a xfer - 4Yr starter, Career = 38 TD's to 26 Ints, 49 sacks

#13 QB-pp Jack Miller rsSo - **** 0.8951 out of HS
tOSU *** as a xfer - Bowl Zero TD's, lost 3-30 OreSt

#96 QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 200 *** rsFr-
Offers: Wash, C.Mich, Temple
Napier managed to flip/steal him from C.Mich, to warm the Gator bench.
=====

NR QB-pp Kyle Engel 6-1 190 no stars rsJr - WO
Offers: None listed on 247

#144 QB-pp Parker Leise 6-2 215 *** Fr - PWO
Offers: Kan, Brown, Butler, Toledo, Miami-OH, Stetson

#162 QB-pp Jordan Gile 6-0 190 ** Fr - PWO
Offers: Kan, FL-Int, Miz S&T, Miz W.St

Why,,, I've never seen better QB recruiting at UF.
Heisman Candidates one and all for sure, the rest of the SEC is in big trouble now!
There is obviously going to be a massive battle in Fall practice to determine the 2023 starter....

Last edited:

A decision that may end up contributing to Napier not making it possibly since he hasn't landed a blue chipper in the first 2 classes. I can't remember another higher level SEC team where the coach didn't land a blue chipper QB recruit his first 2 classes.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Transfer Portal In's = 6 + 10 = 16
Recruiting Classes = #17/20 + #13/19 = Total 39 / Ave. #15/19.5 (an exceptional recruiter)
So Billy has added 55 players to the Gator's roster so far...
==========

QB-pp Graham Mertz looks to get the nod as the 2023 starter,,, because?

Simply looking at his box score, Mertz tossed 1.4 TD's to every one Int, his completion percentage regressed every season he started (from 61.1 to 59.5 to 57.3) and he topped 2,000 passing yards in a season just once (2,136 in 2022) during his time with the Badgers. After throwing 5 TD's in his 1st game against powerhouse Illinois, Mertz posted more than 2 passing TD's in a game just 3 times more in his Wis. career before transferring to UF. But to balance that, he had 5 games with 2 or more interceptions in the same span.

Wisconsin football backslid during his tenure with the program. No longer were the Badgers the 10+ win team they had been in 5 of the 6 seasons prior to 2020, and a 2-3 start to 2022 led to 8-year head coach Paul Chryst's firing, showing what a great QB can do for his coach and school....

So at QB-U now daze, that makes him a shoo-in as the 2023 starter, because Billy has already proven that he can turn any QB's poor performance around....

That's 2 xfer in QB's, + 3 WO QB's, while the one highly under-rated HS recruited QB goes to baseball after being ignored on the bench for a full season. Marvelous.... 😎

• Haha
Reactions: Gator Fever
Transfer Portal In's = 6 + 10 = 16
Recruiting Classes = #17/20 + #13/19 = Total 39 / Ave. #15/19.5 (an exceptional recruiter)
So Billy has added 55 players to the Gator's roster so far...
==========

QB-pp Graham Mertz looks to get the nod as the 2023 starter,,, because?

Simply looking at his box score, Mertz tossed 1.4 TD's to every one Int, his completion percentage regressed every season he started (from 61.1 to 59.5 to 57.3) and he topped 2,000 passing yards in a season just once (2,136 in 2022) during his time with the Badgers. After throwing 5 TD's in his 1st game against powerhouse Illinois, Mertz posted more than 2 passing TD's in a game just 3 times more in his Wis. career before transferring to UF. But to balance that, he had 5 games with 2 or more interceptions in the same span.

Wisconsin football backslid during his tenure with the program. No longer were the Badgers the 10+ win team they had been in 5 of the 6 seasons prior to 2020, and a 2-3 start to 2022 led to 8-year head coach Paul Chryst's firing, showing what a great QB can do for his coach and school....

So at QB-U now daze, that makes him a shoo-in as the 2023 starter, because Billy has already proven that he can turn any QB's poor performance around....

That's 2 xfer in QB's, + 3 WO QB's, while the one highly under-rated HS recruited QB goes to baseball after being ignored on the bench for a full season. Marvelous.... 😎

We will will see if Brown can beat out all the walk-ons this time unlike last season but watching Mertz at WI a few games I would say he probably is a little better than Miller has appeared to be in his limited playing time. We better hope a young WR steps up or one breaks out finally as a deep threat or it might not matter who is at QB when we face the better teams.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Dual Threat run/pass QB.

Dual Sport football/baseball scholar athlete.

Brown has juggled two sports while planning out a future career in Sports Management.

Here at UF getting a free college degree.

Don't know or care anymore, if he ever starts in either sport.....

Dual Threat run/pass QB.

Dual Sport football/baseball scholar athlete.

Brown has juggled two sports while planning out a future career in Sports Management.

Here at UF getting a free college degree.

Don't know or care anymore, if he ever starts in either sport.....
Dang Insta you’re killing my buzz

• Haha
Maybe this will help you out Nick... (doubtful)

"The next step is to show it on the field this spring and fall camp." - Miller

"Jack is benefiting from being in his second year,'' Napier said.

Despite his winding college career and the fact that the Gators signed Mertz as a mid-year enrollee – Napier has also said the Gators will add another scholarship quarterback over the summer – Miller is undeterred.

"I embrace competition,'' he said. "I love it. It's just going to make us all better. It's been a really good competition. We both (Mertz) embrace it and Max [Brown] as well. We all love to compete, so it's been a really fun spring so far. I mean, I'm just trying to get better every single day. I'm not too worried about all that stuff."

"But then, talk is cheap during 'Talking Season,' and it always has been..." - iG

We will will see if Brown can beat out all the walk-ons this time unlike last season but watching Mertz at WI a few games I would say he probably is a little better than Miller has appeared to be in his limited playing time. We better hope a young WR steps up or one breaks out finally as a deep threat or it might not matter who is at QB when we face the better teams.
Mertz at least has legit higher-end talent, which some of the others seem to lack. We'll see what happens though.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Mertz at least has legit higher-end talent, which some of the others seem to lack. We'll see what happens though.
No comments from me, just the facts ma'am....

Mertz rsJr finished his Badgers career with a (38 TD, 26 Int) 1.4-to-1 TD/Int ratio with 49 Sacks, and he struggled to find consistency across his 32 starts at Wisconsin. Career W/L 19-13. --- His HC was fired at the end of the 2022 season....

2022 - His best season at Wis.

Pass -164 of 286, 57.3% for 2,136 Yds, 19 TD's, 10 Ints, 23 Sacks, QBR 52.9
Run - 50 for -40 Yds, -0.8 YPC, 2 TD's

Miller rsSo Has very limited college stats:
tOSU (2 seasons)
Pass - 7 of 14, 50% for 101 Yds, 7.2 Ave, 0 TD's, 0 Int
Rush - 7 for 22 Yds, 3.1 ypc, 1 TD
UF
Pass - 13 of 22 59.1% for 180 Yds, 8.2 Ave, 0 TD's, 0 Int, 4 Sacks.
Rush - 13 for 13 yds, 1.0 ypc, 0 TD

Brown rsFr 2022 - DNP - So we have no idea how well he might play at this level.
Only his 2nd season playing organized football, W/L 25-2
HS Sr Season:
13-1, 6-0 - State Runner-up, but named the MVP over the State 3A Champ QB.
P - 167 of 235, 71.1% for 2,750 yds, 16.5 yd/comp, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6
R - 173 for 1,343 yds, 7.8 ypc, 20 TD's, ZERO fumbles.

* O'Sul has accepted him on the Baseball Team, with Napier's consent.
He is currently back at football Spring practice.

Some selected comments after the Tues night scrimmage:

"Overall, the quarterbacks looked prepared to take on their first game-like reps of the spring on Tuesday evening. The trio moved through its throwing lines with a good pace and command of the operation while Napier, the program's offensive play-caller and quarterbacks coach, observed the drills. Brown, noticeably, put extra juice on the ball to display arguably the best arm strength when working outside of the numbers of the trio on the day.

Some selected comments after the Tues night scrimmage:

"Overall, the quarterbacks looked prepared to take on their first game-like reps of the spring on Tuesday evening. The trio moved through its throwing lines with a good pace and command of the operation while Napier, the program's offensive play-caller and quarterbacks coach, observed the drills. Brown, noticeably, put extra juice on the ball to display arguably the best arm strength when working outside of the numbers of the trio on the day.

Hopefully Brown can do something. If Mertz is no better than Miller we might be in trouble.

Reactions: gatordad3
Strongest Arm/Consistently Accurate - Far and Away the Best/Strongest Runner.
Aided by Baseball Physical Development at Shortstop (arm) - Catcher (legs)

So leave him ignored on the bench, so he can return to baseball after Mertz and Miller compete for the starting job and backup in the O&B game.... 🙄

So leave him ignored on the bench, so he can return to baseball after Mertz and Miller compete for the starting job and backup in the O&B game.... 🙄

I have a hard time thinking Brown is looking great in practice if it ends up being close at the end of spring between Miller and Mertz. From what they have shown in their playing time it shouldn't make a coach default to them over someone that appears to look better in practice. Maybe Brown will be considered in play for the starting job at the end of spring. We will see I guess.

So Napier recruited Brown, but hates him so much he refuses to play even though you have been very clear that he's a Heisman contender? What was Napier's response when you called him about this?

• Haha
So Napier recruited Brown, but hates him so much he refuses to play even though you have been very clear that he's a Heisman contender? What was Napier's response when you called him about this?
Cg1, keep in mind that those are YOUR words not mine. Looks like your usual level of pure BS trolling...

The iG's own 'talking season' Speculation:

Maybe Brown's a no-talent 3-star that Billy flipped, just to poke a finger in McLame's eye for the UF homie elite haters that he's now working for???

He's also Billy's highest rated HS QB that he's been able to recruit and actually put on the current roster, but maybe he'll never be an SEC level talent. Maybe he's just around to be used as another arm at WR practice???
Mertz was a HS 5-star - Miller was a HS 4-star - Brown is just a 3-star practice player, football or baseball.

Now, why don't you give us your own 'professional' opinion on the 3 current ship QB's, instead of attempting to put YOUR own chickenchit words into someone else's mouth?
Step up, or STFU, or whatever.... 🙄

Cg1, keep in mind that those are YOUR words not mine. Looks like your usual level of pure BS trolling...

Maybe Brown's a no-talent 3-star that Billy flipped, just to poke a finger in McLame's eye for the UF homie elite haters that he's now working for???

He's also Billy's highest rated HS QB that he's been able to recruit and actually put on the current roster, but maybe he'll never be an SEC level talent. Maybe he's just around to be used as another arm at WR practice???
Mertz was a HS 5-star - Miller was a HS 4-star - Brown is just a 3-star practice player, football or baseball.

Now, why don't you give us your own 'professional' opinion on the 3 current ship QB's, instead of attempting to put YOUR own chickenchit words into someone else's mouth?
Salt Bae Sport GIF by UFC

• Haha
Reactions: Countygator1

So does that mean Napier didn't take your call?

So does that mean Napier didn't take your call?
So that means that you have no professional opinions on the 3 ship QB's to give.
Instead you'll just keep on running your mouth with your own clueless troll idiocy?
"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Dirty Harry
=====

“Just keep gaining understanding with fronts and defenses, I don’t think you can gain enough knowledge at that aspect of it,” Brown said. “So I think that’s a big part of everybody’s game – just keep improving with knowing defenses, knowing fronts, keep making plays. And keep showing people you can do it."

“He’s talented, he’s got a talented arm. He’s really gifted, you know, he’s got a good touch on the ball, he’s got that zip to it," wide receiver Ricky Pearsall said of Brown. "So he’s gonna be really good."

So that means that you have no professional opinions on the 3 ship QB's to give.
Instead you'll just keep on running your mouth with your own clueless troll idiocy?
"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Dirty Harry
=====

“Just keep gaining understanding with fronts and defenses, I don’t think you can gain enough knowledge at that aspect of it,” Brown said. “So I think that’s a big part of everybody’s game – just keep improving with knowing defenses, knowing fronts, keep making plays. And keep showing people you can do it."

“He’s talented, he’s got a talented arm. He’s really gifted, you know, he’s got a good touch on the ball, he’s got that zip to it," wide receiver Ricky Pearsall said of Brown. "So he’s gonna be really good."
Too many idiots not enough bullets...much more appropriate.

more housefly drivel...
=====

Graham Mertz 6-3 214 rsJr - failed at Wis, so xfer to UF - W/L 19-13 career.
Jack Miller 6-3 214 rsSo ---- failed at tOSU, so xfer to UF - 3-30 Bowl
Neither have a 60% completions percentage and both have poor rushing stats....
Poor college 'experience' is not a plus imoho, and I'm long past wanting any more xfer QB's.... 😏
=====

Max Brown 6-2 209 rsFr - QB & Baseball - Already On Both Rosters
DJ Lagway 6-2 225 --------- QB & Baseball - 2024 Commit
Austin Simmons 6-2 190 - QB & Baseball - 2025 Commit
"And the tradition and opportunity to play both baseball and football at a high level.
It’s the best opportunity I can get.”

Note: None of those last 3 resemble Mertz or Miller, so WTF-Over???
No more xfer QB's
'marking time' please, just move on already....

In his only 2 years, 27 Gms (25-2) of organized football, these are Brown's stats:

P - 255 of 356 71.6%, for 4,416 Yds, 17.3 Yds/Comp, 12.4 Yds/Att, for 68 TD's 10 Ints.
R - 327 for 2,335 Yds, 7.1 YPC, 86.5 Yds/Gm, 33 TD's, 1 Fumble.
Total offense
- 683 Plays, 9.9 Yds/Play, for 6,751 Yds, 101 TD's, 11 Turnovers.
From his Jr to Sr season, he was consistent (70+%) while improving in his 2nd year.

And Napier after watching his tape, called 3-star Brown UNDER-RATED coming out of HS.

"We were able to go out to his school, observe him and was very impressed.
So there's some pedigree there," Napier said. Max Brown is the son of former Tulsa and Atlanta Falcons WR Corey Brown.

"The guy's a winner. I've been impressed with his leadership skills.
And I think his best football is in front of him. (I agree that he came in as a Fr developmental project)
We think he has upside. He just started playing quarterback two years ago."
"I think Max when you turn the tape on, you can immediately see the baseball background," Napier continued. "The off-platform throws. Really a natural thrower. A guy that is projected to be kind of a middle-round draft pick in baseball (coming out of HS). And a good runner. The guy can make some plays with his feet."
Now the iG wants to finally see Billy live up to his own player/QB evaluation.....🤓
FEB 7, 2022
https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-billy-napier-max-brown-upside-quarterback

PS ---- McLame = Del Rio + Appleby + Zaire = Fired...
>> McLame 2.0 = Miller + Mertz + Wants another xfer-in QB this summer = ???
Here's to praying (for everyone's sake) that this doesn't turn into another DeJa Vu all over again....

In his only 2 years, 27 Gms (25-2) of organized football, these are Brown's stats:

P - 255 of 356 71.6%, for 4,416 Yds, 17.3 Yds/Comp, 12.4 Yds/Att, for 68 TD's 10 Ints.
R - 327 for 2,335 Yds, 7.1 YPC, 86.5 Yds/Gm, 33 TD's, 1 Fumble.
Total offense
- 683 Plays, 9.9 Yds/Play, for 6,751 Yds, 101 TD's, 11 Turnovers.
From his Jr to Sr season, he was consistent (70+%) while improving in his 2nd year.

And Napier after watching his tape, called 3-star Brown UNDER-RATED coming out of HS.

"We were able to go out to his school, observe him and was very impressed.
So there's some pedigree there," Napier said. Max Brown is the son of former Tulsa and Atlanta Falcons WR Corey Brown.

"The guy's a winner. I've been impressed with his leadership skills.
And I think his best football is in front of him. (I agree that he came in as a Fr developmental project)
We think he has upside. He just started playing quarterback two years ago."
"I think Max when you turn the tape on, you can immediately see the baseball background," Napier continued. "The off-platform throws. Really a natural thrower. A guy that is projected to be kind of a middle-round draft pick in baseball (coming out of HS). And a good runner. The guy can make some plays with his feet."
Now the iG wants to finally see Billy live up to his own player/QB evaluation.....🤓
FEB 7, 2022
https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-billy-napier-max-brown-upside-quarterback

PS ---- McLame = Del Rio + Appleby + Zaire = Fired...
>> McLame 2.0 = Miller + Mertz + Wants another xfer-in QB this summer = ???
Here's to praying (for everyone's sake) that this doesn't turn into another DeJa Vu all over again....

Luke Del Rio went 5-1 as a starter beating Kirby Smart's Bulldogs and also led us back from a 27-14 deficit @ KY to win when the starter was yanked for poor play.

• Haha
Luke Del Rio went 5-1 as a starter beating Kirby Smart's Bulldogs and also led us back from a 27-14 deficit @ KY to win when the starter was yanked for poor play.
A former college quarterback at Alabama, Oregon State, and Florida, before ending his 3x failed collegiate QB career with the Gators. The NFL didn't even give him a look. He then went on to coach tight ends and quarterbacks at Santa Margarita Catholic High School.

Luke Del Rio is now entering his fourth season coaching in the NFL and his fourth as Washington's offensive quality control coach and his first as the assistant to the real quarterbacks coach in 2022. Luke Del Rio — son of defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio (who got him that job). The younger Del Rio was recently promoted from a quality control coach to assistant quarterbacks coach. >>> So much for Luke Del Rio. He couldn't play at a high level, but maybe he can coach....

Spurrier would have made Del Rio an above average QB. He just had the misery of being coached by Butters and Nuss.
Posting to your usual level of thought, while you attempt to overlook the coaches at Alabama, Oregon State, and then the NFL, even with his daddy's boost..... 🤓

Posting to your usual level of thought, while you attempt to overlook the coaches at Alabama, Oregon State, and then the NFL, even with his daddy's boost..... 🤓

You do remember Del Rio having to save the coach that unwisely had him on the bench for that 2017 KY game. I think an injury happened right after that game though. Del Rio definitely was limited but the @ Arkansas game was his only really terrible game I think.

Reactions: gatordad3
Del Rio mostly sucked while Trask sat on the bench. End of story....
At least until 'Miller Time' certain'y sucked, while Brown sat on the bench at the bowl....
It's like Deja Vu,,, all over again....

Here's some food for thought during talking season...

What happens to QB recruiting (and current commits) IF:
Xfer Mertz rsJr or Miller rsSo lights it up.

Now compare/contrast that with what happens if dual threat Brown rsFr is lighting it up???
Coaching reasons and decisions can come in many and varied layers....

Last edited:
Del Rio mostly sucked while Trask sat on the bench. End of story....
At least until 'Miller Time' certain'y sucked, while Brown sat on the bench at the bowl....
It's like Deja Vu,,, all over again....

Here's some food for thought during talking season...

What happens to QB recruiting (and current commits) IF:
Xfer Mertz rsJr or Miller rsSo lights it up.

Now compare/contrast that with what happens if dual threat Brown rsFr is lighting it up???
Coaching reasons and decisions can come in many and varied layers....

Well that was Mullen who has a history of being stubborn about putting the less experienced guy in. The same Mullen at one time you liked to say people questioning his decisions were idiots basically. I was calling for Franks to be benched the whole time he was playing basically. And there was no reason whatsoever Trask shouldnt have took over after Franks almost gave that Miami game away.

The recruiting issue falls on Napier if we dont have a good QB ready to go for 2024 (cant count on a true freshman in the SEC usually). I dont remember a modern championship level SEC program failing to recruit one blue chipper high school QB in the new coach's first 2 classes and only having a sole 3 star QB recruit besides walk-ons. Napier better hope the money guys will actually buy a "proven" QB for one season in the portal if none of these 3 QBs show much this season.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT