ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

WR Eugene Wilson III Commits to the Florida Gators​

The Florida Gators have landed a commitment from Tampa (Fla.) receiver Eugene Wilson III, an NFL legacy.
https://www.si.com/college/florida/recruiting/eugene-wilson-commits-florida-gators-football-2023

Wilson, who straps up the pads for Tampa (Fla.) Gaither, checks in as the No. 8 wide receiver and No. 48 prospect regardless of position. That is according to On3’s 2023 Rankings.

As for the On3 Consensus, Wilson ranks as the No. 25 wide receiver and No. 147 player overall. He is a four-star prospect with every major recruiting service after hauling in 62 catches for 925 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior.
https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...3-wr-eugene-wilson-iii-forwards-ufs-momentum/

Why are on3's rankings so much different than the composite ones on many players- anyone know?

Certainly need some help along the Oline...
Country,

Don't know if its NIL money, the lack of an established prior relationship with this staff, or this Staff's lack of a track record at UF, but we seem to keep missing on top tier OTs & DTs.

We have two OL coaches; between them they have NFL playing & coaching experience. Perhaps they are like John Hevesy - good coaches but poor recruiters; or perhaps NIL really has changed the entire CFB landscape.

Even when we get a commit, we have problems. On June 19 3* OT Tommy Kinsler commited to UF & was "recruiting other players to join him." 12 days later, Kinsler decommited.

Kinsler’s decommitment came immediately after his OV with Mario Cristobal & the Canes.

Was it money or something else ?

"...There are two ways to look at this. The first is to shrug and point out that Kinsler is replaceable. He’s big, but so are a lot of other linemen in the country. His three-star rating reflects a possible SEC contributor, but a name-brand school like Florida can put a hard press on just about any three-star recruit and have a good chance at getting them.

On the other hand, it’s alarming that offensive line coaches Rob Sale and Darnell Stapleton, who had such immense success with the Ragin’ Cajuns couldn’t get complete buy-in on their system from a hometown recruit they’ve been on since day one."

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/02/florida-football-recruiting-tommy-kinsler-decommitment/

After you sign a 3* recruit, it is, of course, de rigueur to state that they were under valued & no one else noticed them.

Last edited:
Country,

Don't know if its NIL money, the lack of an established prior relationship with this staff, or this Staff's lack of a track record at UF, but we seem to keep missing on top tier OTs & DTs.

We have two OL coaches; between them they have NFL playing & coaching experience. Perhaps they are like John Hevesy - good coaches but poor recruiters; or perhaps NIL really has changed the entire CFB landscape.

Even when we get a commit, we have problems. On June 19 3* OT Tommy Kinsler commited to UF & was "recruiting other players to join him." 12 days later, Kinsler decommited.

Kinsler’s decommitment came immediately after his OV with Mario Cristobal & the Canes.

Was it money or something else ?

"...There are two ways to look at this. The first is to shrug and point out that Kinsler is replaceable. He’s big, but so are a lot of other linemen in the country. His three-star rating reflects a possible SEC contributor, but a name-brand school like Florida can put a hard press on just about any three-star recruit and have a good chance at getting them.

On the other hand, it’s alarming that offensive line coaches Rob Sale and Darnell Stapleton, who had such immense success with the Ragin’ Cajuns couldn’t get complete buy-in on their system from a hometown recruit they’ve been on since day one."

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/02/florida-football-recruiting-tommy-kinsler-decommitment/

After you sign a 3* recruit, it is de rigueur to state that they were under valued & no one else noticed them.

Would be really surprised if Miami didn't offer him something nobody else was.

Never bothered by losing a 'sell-out' recruit.

Good Riddance to the Gator-bait IMO.

Would be really surprised if Miami didn't offer him something nobody else was.
Fever,

You could be right; & we think Miami booster John Ruiz is throwing obscene amounts of NIL money around, but is he?

It is also the easy way to explain Kinsler's quick decommit.

I bet Ruiz knows the value of a buck & doesn't overspend on anything; that's why he has money !

For Miami to get 5* OT Francis Mawegwa the No. 9 recruit overall in the class (247Sports Composite) - I'm sure he came up with some cash; but 3* Tommy Kinsler - Why ?

His three-star rating reflects a possible SEC (or ACC) contributor, but a name-brand school like Florida (or Miami) can put a hard press on just about any three-star recruit and have a good chance at getting them.

Last edited:
Fever,

You could be right; & we think Miami booster John Ruiz is throwing obscene amounts of NIL money around, but is he?

It is also the easy way to explain Kinsler's quick decommit.

For Miami to get 5* OT Francis Mawegwa the No. 9 recruit overall in the class, according to 247Sports Composite Rankings - sure; but for 3* Tommy Kinsler - Why ?

His three-star rating reflects a possible SEC (or ACC) contributor, but a name-brand school like Florida (or Miami) can put a hard press on just about any three-star recruit and have a good chance at getting them.

Someone convinced Miami he is going to be a really good one. Maybe he will be. Heard Miami was trying to buy another 5 star player also but forgot the name.

Edit: I guess he did commit to Miami. The 5 star was Wayne.

Last edited:

WR Andy Jean Places Florida Gators in Top 5​

Florida makes the top five for one of the highest-rated receivers on its board, Andy Jean.

Andy Jean included the Florida Gators in his top five schools on Saturday alongside Miami, Texas A&M, Alabama and Georgia.

Jean, 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, is considered the No. 45 receiver and No. 322 overall prospect in the class of 2023 by the On3Sports consensus rankings. He tallied 733 yards and eight touchdowns across 40 receptions (18.3 yards per catch) during his junior season.

Of Interest -
It's worth noting that, when Jean spoke with AllGators, he admitted that he wants to join a program that is in the process of being built or rebuilt, to help take the school to a championship level.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/recruiting/florida-gators-recruiting-andy-jean-top-five

Reactions: Gator Fever
Why are Friday Night Light & the Cookout Important ?

Friday Night Lights is not a new concept; it is simply a glorified football camp. The only real differences are: a dark sky, illuminated lights, blaring hip-hop music, and Gator highlight videos that loop on the jumbotron for hours.

The camp, in practice, is not much different than your normal football camp. They begin with coordinated stretching, split into position groups for specific drills, break into pass skeleton, and then wrap up with a motivational huddle at the end.

In past years it has been one of the Gators' premier recruiting events. The cookout on Saturday continues the excitement and adds Pitmaster & Ambassador Shannon Snell & SONNY's BBQ !

The cookout would take place the day after Florida’s annual Friday Night Lights recruiting event, where prospects get hands-on work with the Gators coaches and staff underneath the lights at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Marcus Stokes & other committed Gators, as well as current players will be on hand to talk with recruits.

WRs knowing who their QB will be should be a plus.

“I’m beyond excited to start recruiting for this class,” Stokes said via On3 Sports. “I’m ready to be a part of what we’re building here at Florida.”

We can also hope that some of the recruits who have already announced Commit dates -

Simmons- 7/11; Kirkland, Bryant 7/23; Walker, LeBlanc, & Jackson 7/28​

will be wearing Orange & Blue & keep the momentum going.

It seems to work for Clemson - From Tiger Net -
DL Peter Woods was one of a number on hand for Clemson’s big official visit weekend in early June, which has yielded 11 of the Tigers' pledges since. At 17 members total now, Clemson's class is ranked third by the 247Sports Composite, trailing only Notre Dame and Ohio State.

Last edited:
Last edited:

A pair of 5-star recruits will be at Florida's July cookout​

BBQ is a magic Elixir when it comes to CFB recruiting !

Florida will host a pair of five-star teammates, edge rusher Qua Russaw and defensive lineman James Smith, among several other elite recruits during the July 30 cookout, according to Gators Online.

Florida has a lot of work to do to earn OVs from these players, but a successful introduction to the staff & some good BBG, could go a long way at the end of the month.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/10/florida-football-recruiting-qua-russaw-james-smith-unofficial-visit-co&okout/

Last edited:

Four-star OT Lucas Simmons to make college commitment live Monday (7/11) on CBS Sports HQ

Link below

NOTE: Gators need a good left OT !

6-7, 300 lb , 4* OT Lucas Simmons set to announce his college decision live at 1 p.m. ET on CBS Sports HQ.

Simmons final 5 - UF, FSU, Ok State, Tenn, & USC

He is rated as the No. 16 offensive tackle in the 2023 class and No. 143 player overall, according to the 247Sports rankings.

Simmons is the son of former Oklahoma lineman Able Simmons, who played for the Sooners in the 1990s. He's taken official visits to all five of his finalists, with his latest visit coming at Florida State on June 24.

You can watch the announcement live in the video at the top of this page (or at this link), on the CBS Sports App or via your connected device (Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/watch-four-star-ot-lucas-simmons-to-make-college-commitment-live-monday-on-cbs-sports-hq/

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando

Four-star OT Lucas Simmons to make college commitment live Monday (7/11) on CBS Sports HQ

Link below

NOTE: Gators need a good left OT !

6-7, 300 lb , 4* OT Lucas Simmons set to announce his college decision live at 1 p.m. ET on CBS Sports HQ.

Simmons final 5 - UF, FSU, Ok State, Tenn, & USC

He is rated as the No. 16 offensive tackle in the 2023 class and No. 143 player overall, according to the 247Sports rankings.

Simmons is the son of former Oklahoma lineman Able Simmons, who played for the Sooners in the 1990s. He's taken official visits to all five of his finalists, with his latest visit coming at Florida State on June 24.

You can watch the announcement live in the video at the top of this page (or at this link), on the CBS Sports App or via your connected device (Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/watch-four-star-ot-lucas-simmons-to-make-college-commitment-live-monday-on-cbs-sports-hq/
All that build up and posting effort,,, for another one to go elsewhere (FSUcks)..... 🙄

It looks like Tennessee is playing the NIL game also besides that QB they are giving all that money too. Another 4 of their recruits look to be hired guns and have Tennessee # 5 right now in the composite recruiting rankings

Athletic Background. 2021: As a junior, completed just over 60 percent of his passes for 1,861 yards with 26 TDs and 7 INTs to his credit. Guided a King’s Academy team to a 6-4 record that ...

Well, room's full now anyway....

Hmm a 3 star with a 6-4 record? Would Nick Saban go after him?

Not sure what the deal with this kid is but its strange he hasn't been added on the sites yet. It appears to be his real account though. Maybe not guaranteeing there will be a full scholarship for him?

Hmm a 3 star with a 6-4 record? Would Nick Saban go after him?
Tebow,

After Rashada committed to Canes, I didn't think we had a chance to flip Stokes because of our refusal to actually offer him early on - Billy's "Slow Play". I didn't think we would get a QB for this 2023 class.

The only suggestion I had was to look for a Florida HS QB who "blew up" in his SR year & who didn't have pre-existing relationships with the usual list of schools we contend with.

Perhaps Napier listened & an early move on Will Prichard is the result.
10323687.jpg

Obviously, I can't say for sure that Prichard will have a monumental, blow up SR year. But Billy & his staff must see something in his game.

FWIW - According to TOS, Arizona & Auburn have previously offered him.

Who knows how good his team & his record will be - too many independent variables. One of the biggest reasons for the record is the fact that his HS - King's Academy in West Palm Beach - is a small, private, Christian school with a limited enrollment because of the tuition & location.

"The King's Academy in West Palm Beach, Florida serves 1336 students in grades Prekindergarten-12. View their 2022 rankings, tuition cost, acceptance rates, reviews and more."

Grades 9-12 have approximately 400 student over half of which are GIRLS ! So 200 guys to pick a football team from means his lineman aren't much & its tough to compete.

2021: As a junior, Prichard (6-2, 195) completed just over 60 percent of his passes for 1,861 yards with 26 TDs and 7 INTs to his credit. Guided a King’s Academy team to a 6-4 record that played in Florida’s 3A classification.

2020: Started games on varsity.

Tebow - agree that Saban would not offer him; Bama would not need too, but Billy & UF don't have that luxury !

Until Billy has a track record at UF - actually wins some games. We must turn over rocks & look everywhere to get QBs & OTs & HOPE they can play in the SEC.

Last edited:
Andy Jean to Visit UF for FNL & Cookout

“I was hanging out with Coach Napier,” Jean told Gators Online after his official visit. “Every time I went out to eat, I was sitting with him, so that showed all his focus on me.

“UF Receivers' Coach [Kenny Colbert] showed me the things he does, how my game play will fit into the offense. He showed me I’m a big priority and how I can impact this school.”

Jean, who also visited Florida three times in the spring, plans to return for Friday Night Lights and the recruiting cookout, and again this fall for the LSU game on Oct. 15.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound Jean is ranked the No. 16 wide receiver and No. 109 overall prospect by On3. UF is currently the leader in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine at 86.0 percent.

Jean had already named UF his leader after officially visiting June 24-26.
Jean also included Alabama, Georgia, Miami, and Texas A&M in his top five last Saturday.

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...mari-cooper-shouts-out-andy-jean-tiger-jones/

Andy Jean to Visit UF for FNL & Cookout

“I was hanging out with Coach Napier,” Jean told Gators Online after his official visit. “Every time I went out to eat, I was sitting with him, so that showed all his focus on me.

“UF Receivers' Coach [Kenny Colbert] showed me the things he does, how my game play will fit into the offense. He showed me I’m a big priority and how I can impact this school.”

Jean, who also visited Florida three times in the spring, plans to return for Friday Night Lights and the recruiting cookout, and again this fall for the LSU game on Oct. 15.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound Jean is ranked the No. 16 wide receiver and No. 109 overall prospect by On3. UF is currently the leader in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine at 86.0 percent.

Jean had already named UF his leader after officially visiting June 24-26.
Jean also included Alabama, Georgia, Miami, and Texas A&M in his top five last Saturday.

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...mari-cooper-shouts-out-andy-jean-tiger-jones/

Any idea why so many of our recruits/targets are ranked so much higher on on3? The difference from the composite ranking is very large many times.

"If his name was Arch Smith, I think he'd probably be a high three-star quarterback," Farrell said on the Daily Wistreaming show Crain and Company.

Farell believes Arch Manning hasn't "progressed" as a quarterback since his freshman season and that the level of competition he plays against blurs his quality as a prospect.

"When he has had to step up against other competition, especially in the playoff game where he looked awful, it just hasn't translated," Farrell said. "Every time I watch other quarterbacks in this class, it knocks Arch down in my head."
--------------------------

He is going to get all the training and every opportunity to succeed but I actually agree with him on Manning with the games I watched him play in. Nothing was really sticking out saying he had the "it" factor. Take off the name and he would probably fall short of a 4 star ranking but I do think the last name will at at least ensure he is given every opportunity despite his level of play if he doesn't turn out to have the "it" factor. It would probably be another Chris Simms situation but Texas being so big in NIL might not need real great QB play to have good seasons now.

Last edited:
It looks like Tennessee is playing the NIL game also besides that QB they are giving all that money too. Another 4 of their recruits look to be hired guns and have Tennessee # 5 right now in the composite recruiting rankings
Honestly, I’m looking forward to the say when people say this about us, at least until there’s some kind of downside for it

"If his name was Arch Smith, I think he'd probably be a high three-star quarterback," Farrell said on the Daily Wistreaming show Crain and Company.

Farell believes Arch Manning hasn't "progressed" as a quarterback since his freshman season and that the level of competition he plays against blurs his quality as a prospect.

"When he has had to step up against other competition, especially in the playoff game where he looked awful, it just hasn't translated," Farrell said. "Every time I watch other quarterbacks in this class, it knocks Arch down in my head."

He is going to get all the training and every opportunity to succeed but I actually agree with him on Manning with the games I watched him play in. Nothing was really sticking out saying he had the "it" factor. Take off the name and he would probably fall short of a 4 star ranking but I do think the last name will at at least ensure he is given every opportunity despite his level of play if he doesn't turn out to have the "it" factor. It would probably be another Chris Simms situation but Texas being so big in NIL might not need real great QB play to have good seasons now.
That's what I've been saying for months now fev, like when I said that I wouldn't trade 3-star Max Brown for Arch or for the now scUM thug Rash....

The 2022 Gator QB Room:
QB-dt Richarson So
QB-dt Brown Fr
QB-pp Kitna rsFr
QB-pp Miller III rsFr
UF could easily wait a year if need be imo, to get another QB....
Anders rsSo WO
Engel rsSo WO
=====

2023 Recruits: Apparently not waiting a year to take QB's.

#10 QB-dt Marcus Stokes 6-1.5 190 **** - Ponte Vedra Bch, FL - PSU flip
Jr season stats:
Passing - 196 of 333, 58.9% with 22 TD's to 9 Ints.
Rushing - 92 for 496 Yds, 5.4 ypc, 6 TD's, 2 LPF's

#123 QB-pp Will Prichard 6-3 200 *** - Lake Worth, FL
Jr season stats:
Passing - 112 of 186, 60.2%, 26 TD's to 7 Ints.
Rushing - 48 for 110 yds, 2.3 ypc, 5 TD's, 0 LPF's
He's got a very good arm. He can throw on roll out, and run if needed.

Note - Prichard doesn't appear on the UF recruit commits lists yet???

Last edited:

Brown has a similar issue, which a lot of QBs in high school do, so it's nothing against him, but go look at their stats. Both absolutely dominated in the regular season and their offenses put up big numbers and scores....but...post season? Well....that all stalls out and looks pedestrian. You just don't know until you get them to this level.

I figured that when his name didn't appear. I guess it will show how much he likes UF whether he accepts that or goes to a Vandy like school or a group of 5 school. If we have room they might change their mind and offer him a full scholarship late in the process I guess.
Fever,

If he had to make a decision today, if the offers from Auburn & Arizona are full ride scholarships, he would be foolish (IMO) to be a PWO at UF.

If they are not, Buffalo & Campbell may be better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a WO QB has even become the starter.

People & Coaches don't respect what they don't pay for.

If they don't think you're worth a Scholly, you will never be given a chance.

But if I were him, I would play out my Sr season & see what that brings me.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Fever,

If he had to make a decision today, if the offers from Auburn & Arizona are full ride scholarships, he would be foolish (IMO) to be a PWO at UF.

If they are not, Buffalo & Campbell may be better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a WO QB has even become the starter.

People & Coaches don't respect what they don't pay for.

If they don't think you're worth a Scholly, you will never be given a chance.

But if I were him, I would play out my Sr season & see what that brings me.
You ever heard of Kerwin Bell?

I'm sure he has but whole different era then vs now. So many teams from P5 to G5 turn QB's into NFL draftees or UDFAs these days no matter their ranking. Even the FCS programs. From Drew Brees to Blake Brotles to Trey Lance.

Not saying Prichard won't stay as a PWO but with the chance of exposure with more playing time and NIL deals who knows. The kid could easily go to Illinois, FAU, or Jacksonville State for example, earn the spot for 2-3- or even 4 years and shine all while school is paid for, collect NIL vs fighting hard for mop up duty at an SEC school.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm sure he has but whole different era then vs now. So many teams from P5 to G5 turn QB's into NFL draftees or UDFAs these days no matter their ranking. Even the FCS programs. From Drew Brees to Blake Brotles to Trey Lance.

Not saying Prichard won't stay as a PWO but with the chance of exposure with more playing time and NIL deals who knows. The kid could easily go to Illinois, FAU, or Jacksonville State for example, earn the spot for 2-3- or even 4 years and shine all while school is paid for, collect NIL vs fighting hard for mop up duty at an SEC school.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

My guess is he moves on if not offered a full scholarship eventually.

Paco,

Thank You !

Mia Culpa ! I screwed up !

Kerwin Bell - The Throwin' Mayoan
earned a degree in psychology from the University of Florida in 1987. After beginning his career at UF as a walk-on, he was inducted into the University of Florida Athletics Hall of Fame in 1997 following a four-year career (1984-87) that saw him pass for 7,585 yards and 56 touchdowns.
He was ranked the No. 26 greatest Gator of all-time from the first 100 years of UF football in 2006 by The Gainesville Sun. Bell was named the 1984 SEC Player of the Year after leading UF to a 9-1-1 record, SEC championship and top five national ranking. He was a first team All-SEC selection in 1985 after again leading the Gators to a 9-1-1 record and the program’s first-ever No. 1 national ranking in the AP poll.
He was an honorable mention All-America selection in 1985 and 1986, was a 1987 team captain and earned the program’s Fergie Ferguson Award. He later served a graduate assistant for one season (1990) under Steve Spurrier at Florida.
https://gousfbulls.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kerwin-bell/4350

EDIT
Don't know what Kerwin is doing now, but it would be great for Napier to reach out & offer him a staff position; he could work with the younger QBs & be an offensive analyst.

Gator Club meetings take up a lot of time; in season Billy doesn't have time to spare. If Kerwin showed up in Billy's place, no one would be upset; he could take some of the PR load off Billy's shoulders.

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT