ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Kyree Campbell?

Yeah, cause who'd want a DC that was Top 10 in the nation, #2 in the SEC in Defense, ahead of #3 Bama with all of their 4-5 recruits? 🥴
I couldn't tell against Georgia the last 2 seasons. Try bragging about our top 10 DC to the Georgia fans. They've done nothing but laugh at us for having 3rd and Grantham. Pathetic how a Muschamp led offense had so much success against our defense.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Yeah, cause who'd want a DC that was Top 10 in the nation, #2 in the SEC in Defense, ahead of #3 Bama with all of their 4-5 recruits? 🥴

Last year we had three shutouts and another game where we only gave up 3 points, but gave up 20+ points 5 times. So we are great at abusing outmatched teams but anybody with a pulse we can't stop. But you want to keep him because it all averages out. Well, I gotta say, that's really stupid.

Last year we had three shutouts and another game where we only gave up 3 points, but gave up 20+ points 5 times. So we are great at abusing outmatched teams but anybody with a pulse we can't stop. But you want to keep him because it all averages out. Well, I gotta say, that's really stupid.
You guys were right about James Coley. We were right about Grantham.

I couldn't tell against Georgia the last 2 seasons. Try bragging about our top 10 DC to the Georgia fans. They've done nothing but laugh at us for having 3rd and Grantham. Pathetic how a Muschamp led offense had so much success against our defense.
I’m by no means defending Grantham but USCjr only had 329 yards of offense on 83 plays. That’s under 4 yards per play. The issue with the defense is we gave up too many 3rd and 4th downs instead of getting them off the field. If a team only has 329 yards of offense they shouldn’t be scoring 24 points. That was the issue in that game.
I’m not a huge Grantham fan but he actually probably is one of the top 10 DCs in college football. Look around the country there isn’t exactly a lot of great DCs in the college game right now. If you look around in college football through the first weeks it has been mainly been an offensive game. Even in the SEC you are getting these high scoring games.

Just to play contrarian...but isn't this college football now?

LSU's defense last year was average...but they scored 50 points/game. It may be a trend that to win nattys now you have to score 40+ per game and plan to "hold" other teams to 30.

Last year, NC LSU beat us by 2 TD's in their house.
Last year, UGly best us by 1 TD.
Last year, the SEC officials didn't call a single holding call on passing plays vs LSU or UGA, so maybe it's the SEC officials more than Grantham.
Even so, UF led the SEC in Sacks, when they weren't being held. 🤓

This year, SCa was holding a lot, but rarely got called on it. I watched an OL hold Cater until the RB went past, then released him but pushed him to the ground from the back as he went for the RB. NO CALL....

2019 SEC Defense:
1. UGly
2. UF
3. UA
-----
8. LSU
10. Musclecramp

This year, in B-2-B weeks, a Gator has been named the SEC Defensive PoW. (MLB Miller - DT Carter)

"Stupid is, as stupid does...". -- Forrest 🥴

Just to play contrarian...but isn't this college football now?

LSU's defense last year was average...but they scored 50 points/game. It may be a trend that to win nattys now you have to score 40+ per game and plan to "hold" other teams to 30.

LSU beat the single season passing yards by 1,400 and touchdowns by 16. Burrow threw for an average of 375 yards and 4 touchdowns per game. If you are going to have that level of performance you are going to win a lot of games. But, it's unlikely that's going to happen again any time soon.

Look, if our goal is to go 8-2 and win a bowl game, then we are having a great season. If we aspire to reach the top, though, then our performance isn't good enough yet. Even if we somehow get past the gauntlet and go 10-0, we still have to beat Bama, who has an offense and a defense, and Clemson, who has an offense and a defense. And another team, such as OSU or Notre Dame, who will also be a stiff challenge.

All I'm saying is, we have been looking for a decade for an offense good enough to compete, and we finally have one, and just as we do, the defense seems to have taken a step back.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
LSU beat the single season passing yards by 1,400 and touchdowns by 16. Burrow threw for an average of 375 yards and 4 touchdowns per game. If you are going to have that level of performance you are going to win a lot of games. But, it's unlikely that's going to happen again any time soon.

Look, if our goal is to go 8-2 and win a bowl game, then we are having a great season. If we aspire to reach the top, though, then our performance isn't good enough yet. Even if we somehow get past the gauntlet and go 10-0, we still have to beat Bama, who has an offense and a defense, and Clemson, who has an offense and a defense. And another team, such as OSU or Notre Dame, who will also be a stiff challenge.

All I'm saying is, we have been looking for a decade for an offense good enough to compete, and we finally have one, and just as we do, the defense seems to have taken a step back.

I don't disagree - but the old days of have a defense winning Natty team are over. Hell - even Alabama today isn't Alabama from 2009ish. That's all.

If we have a top 5 offense and a top 20 defense...that might get it done. I'm just looking at the changing landscape is all.

2020 is a crazy year in so many respects. But it's obvious that offenses, in general, are way ahead of defenses at this point. But if Florida is going to beat Georgia and compete with Alabama for an SEC title or a shot at the Final 4, the defense must get better. I don't think anyone will question that. Our front 7 has been nothing like last year so far and the secondary has been weak as well. There was some improvement from Game 1 to Game 2 and I'm hoping they will be even better this week.

Reactions: gatordad3
5-star LB/SDE Cox Jr. considers himself a natural in defensive coordinator Todd Grantham's attacking system. "It fits me as a player because it makes me versatile as a player,'' Cox Jr. said. "I can do a lot of different things on the D-Line. The schemes he has puts me in the best positions I can be. Everybody here took me in and made sure I was welcomed. I'm in a different place in life right now, a more positive place, and I'm doing better,'' Cox Jr. said.

At least the important ones are feeling more positive.... ;)

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
TID-BITS... (or tiddy-bits if you prefer)

The 2019 Gators were aggressive, physical and confounding for offenses. UF ended the season as the SEC leader in sacks and red-zone defense while allowing fewer points than any team in the league but Georgia.

17 – Tackles for Loss by the Gators, which leads the 2020 SEC.
Note: The players have changed, not the DC or his defense. The D has lost 6 2019 starters plus Campbell & Stewart have yet to play in 2020. -- Needs JELLEN

ESPN's Heisman Watch currently has Trask in 2nd place and Pitts in 5th.

Don’t expect him back

"... Florida coach Dan Mullen said he hopes to have Campbell for UF’s next contest, which would allow Carter to play more defensive end."
https://florida.rivals.com/news/no-ceiling-carter-transforms-body-diet-with-laser-like-focus

Wonder how Campbell's suspension is worded; is he out for a certain number of games or is it for a specified length of time ?

With the LSU & Missouri games on hold, if he can play now, will he then have to sit out one or both of those games when they get rescheduled ?

Obviously a serious off the field faux pas by Campbell.

Paco, care to shed some light on the situation ?

Defense is as much effort, passion and "want-to" as it is talent. This year's edition of Gator defense has plenty of talent, but lacks in all the other areas, IMO.

After watching film if the coaching staff is worth their pay the defense should be much improve. Yes personnel is a issue however technique and discipline is a big issue. Now I am not sure if the line responsibility is two gap responsibility or gap assignment. if we are two gapping were just not big enough. however if we are gap penetrating the only guy I seen getting penetration or playing on the other side of line of scrimmage was Carter. Slaton held his own some of the time on the double teams . but what made me think we maybe two gapping is that our defensive line with the exception of Carter have poor get off (they are catching blocks .the times they did well on the run is when carter got penetration.
cox is talented but get out of position and lose gap integrity trying to make plays, but give up big plays at the same time love to see chatfield on run down a little more . Also don't be surprise to see Lang in there giving Carter a break he seem to hold his own.
As for as the LBs the biggest issue I saw was there was several times they were dropping in coverage when it was a run play . which lead me to me to believe we are far behind on disecting plays. The line backer are still in the same spot when the ball is snap as the line blocks them No movement! So correcting this issues as coaching will improve the defense I am more worried about teams running the ball down out throat then the pass defense.

The coaches coach.
The players have to make the plays.

The TEAM either comes together and plays for each other to win.
OR
The don't come together, they try to play for themselves, and they lose.

TEAM Captains and position group leaders have to be the one's to pull the individual players together.
The selfish drama queens, if they exist on this team, need to hit the transfer portal.

He's back
Sorry but I don't think one player is going to dramatically affect this team. Throw in the fact that we haven't been able to practice at all for 2 solid weeks where Missouri has and is getting better each week? Do we even get a single FULL day of practice this week as a team before we face them Saturday? I mean not even allowed in the weight room for 2 solid weeks, no film room. No nothing. That is going to have a MAJOR setback on this football program I'm telling you all. Be ready to drop Missouri and Georgia. Everyone is now so far ahead of us with half the season under their belts, and we are almost back to fall training camp.

Yeah I would agree that basically being off 2 weeks isn’t a good thing for the team in general. Not sure not being able to practice for 2 weeks that we were able to improve or focus on much.

Yeah I would agree that basically being off 2 weeks isn’t a good thing for the team in general. Not sure not being able to practice for 2 weeks that we were able to improve or focus on much.
Right. We might not improve, but we're going against a team who HAS been practicing nearly every day and has 2 more games under their belt now than we do. A team that looked pretty impressive somehow last weekend.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Sorry but I don't think one player is going to dramatically affect this team. Throw in the fact that we haven't been able to practice at all for 2 solid weeks where Missouri has and is getting better each week? Do we even get a single FULL day of practice this week as a team before we face them Saturday? I mean not even allowed in the weight room for 2 solid weeks, no film room. No nothing. That is going to have a MAJOR setback on this football program I'm telling you all. Be ready to drop Missouri and Georgia. Everyone is now so far ahead of us with half the season under their belts, and we are almost back to fall training camp.

The team has Zoom. No physical practice, but don't think they haven't been preparing.

Defense is as much effort, passion and "want-to" as it is talent. This year's edition of Gator defense has plenty of talent, but lacks in all the other areas, IMO.
I don't know what to think. During the Spurrier days, it seemed like our offenses were scoring against air, without even facing tackling dummies. Spurrier's defenses were usually good but gave up a lot of points because the offense was barely on the field after scoring so quickly. Now it's like our defense is the air. WTF?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT