ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Franks end up transferring to?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008

Another Power 5 school?

A Sunbelt level conference team?

An FCS team?

I just don't seen anyway he doesn't transfer after how Trask has performed with the same receivers he just threw line of scrimmage area passes the whole game with a few bombs.

I hope he can practice by the Spring also or he may have a hard time winning the starting job just having the camp to do it wherever he goes with the other QBs having the spring under their belt.

I think he's reached his ceiling at the College level. His pride may end up landing him at Boston as a relief pitcher.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I think he's reached his ceiling at the College level. His pride may end up landing him at Boston as a relief pitcher.
A big task to overcome all the time he has missed to make the majors but that would be his best bet imo also. Get in that farm system as soon as possible.

This.

The kid is an athlete but he has reached his potential at what he can do at the college level QB. He is an athlete but not a athletically great if that make sense. Trey Burton to a sense. Good at certain things but not great at anything but athletically good enough to make the league with a position change.

However he could pull a Jeff Driskel and go to a lower level school and put up the stats and later fair combine numbers with measurables and latch onto a team somewhere and be good enough to keep a backup job for years. Back when Driskel was here I always thought he would be best at changing over to TE as well as take a few wildcat snaps on obvious QB runs where the scenario was everyone knows the QB will run, you just have to stop it. However Jeff went to LA Tech, did enough to attract scouts, had good measurables, and put up fair enough numbers. Now he is making a good living running scout teams and wearing a cap sending in signals.

I honestly think Frank's should stay at UF for one more year, play some other position, get his degree, stay in the off season conditioning program, and work on his baseball skills at other times. Play some minor league ball, collect a check, see if it takes him anywhere, use his UF degree to get a civilian job after experimenting with baseball if it doesn't work out.

TE is a position we are loaded at next year so I honestly don't know how often he will be targeted if he ever sees the field at that position. Who knows but I do think next year its Trask and Jones getting the looks and A Rich will be the mop up 4 game player. The guy seems to love UF and have it his all but things did not always run smoothly with him taking snaps.

Reactions: rdgtr
This.

The kid is an athlete but he has reached his potential at what he can do at the college level QB. He is an athlete but not a athletically great if that make sense. Trey Burton to a sense. Good at certain things but not great at anything but athletically good enough to make the league with a position change.

However he could pull a Jeff Driskel and go to a lower level school and put up the stats and later fair combine numbers with measurables and latch onto a team somewhere and be good enough to keep a backup job for years. Back when Driskel was here I always thought he would be best at changing over to TE as well as take a few wildcat snaps on obvious QB runs where the scenario was everyone knows the QB will run, you just have to stop it. However Jeff went to LA Tech, did enough to attract scouts, had good measurables, and put up fair enough numbers. Now he is making a good living running scout teams and wearing a cap sending in signals.

I honestly think Frank's should stay at UF for one more year, play some other position, get his degree, stay in the off season conditioning program, and work on his baseball skills at other times. Play some minor league ball, collect a check, see if it takes him anywhere, use his UF degree to get a civilian job after experimenting with baseball if it doesn't work out.

TE is a position we are loaded at next year so I honestly don't know how often he will be targeted if he ever sees the field at that position. Who knows but I do think next year its Trask and Jones getting the looks and A Rich will be the mop up 4 game player. The guy seems to love UF and have it his all but things did not always run smoothly with him taking snaps.

I think the difference with Driskel was he was at least capable of putting up big passing numbers in a system designed for that with a few tweeks to simplify things. I dont think Franks could even win the starting job if he went to the same situation. His field vision is just too poor along with his quick decision making when its not those simple line of scrimmage passes. Crazy how many times it takes a QB leaving in front of someone to show the backup should have been playing all along probably. Ole Insta ended up being 100% right on this.

I think the difference with Driskel was he was at least capable of putting up big passing numbers in a system designed for that with a few tweeks to simplify things. I dont think Franks could even win the starting job if he went to the same situation. His field vision is just too poor along with his quick decision making when its not those simple line of scrimmage passes. Crazy how many times it takes a QB leaving in front of someone to show the backup should have been playing all along probably. Ole Insta ended up being 100% right on this.
This day in age I can never predict what will happen to any QB that transfers. I see a lot of AAC and a few Sunbelt games in person. He could possibly look great against some of those less talented less depth defenses. He would be a beast on a Tulane type team.

Right now I have watched an Ohio State afterthought leading the Heisman race and has his team in discussion of a playoff top seed. I see a UGA backup running things in the Big 10. I see an athlete who lost his job at Bama due to his lack of passing skills, leading the best team in the Big 12 with excellent passing numbers. On lower levels I see an Arizona State backup ripping through the AAC with Memphis. I see a Texas Longhorn retread writing the record books and having SMU being the Cinderella story of college football. I even see Jim McElwain becoming bowl eligible with a turd who couldn't cut it at UTn putting up stats.

I've seen two past Heisman winners and #1 draft picks that didn't cut the mustard at lesser schools. I've seen Tyler Murphy get signed to a storied NFL team after leaving UF. I even saw Nate Peterman make the NFL.

Anything can happen. It wouldn't surprise me.

This day in age I can never predict what will happen to any QB that transfers. I see a lot of AAC and a few Sunbelt games in person. He could possibly look great against some of those less talented less depth defenses. He would be a beast on a Tulane type team.

Right now I have watched an Ohio State afterthought leading the Heisman race and has his team in discussion of a playoff top seed. I see a UGA backup running things in the Big 10. I see an athlete who lost his job at Bama due to his lack of passing skills, leading the best team in the Big 12 with excellent passing numbers. On lower levels I see an Arizona State backup ripping through the AAC with Memphis. I see a Texas Longhorn retread writing the record books and having SMU being the Cinderella story of college football. I even see Jim McElwain becoming bowl eligible with a turd who couldn't cut it at UTn putting up stats.

I've seen two past Heisman winners and #1 draft picks that didn't cut the mustard at lesser schools. I've seen Tyler Murphy get signed to a storied NFL team after leaving UF. I even saw Nate Peterman make the NFL.

Anything can happen. It wouldn't surprise me.

You are kidding right equating this to Franks I hope. You are talking about QBs with good field vision and improvizasion skills etc. playing in very high powered offenses that everyone already knew they would be stars where they landed except Burrow who looked decent and improvised rather well last season when playing in that dinosaur passing game. I think Burrow ran for more yards than Franks last season also. Not one of the top teams fans would be happy if they found out Franks was going there to compete for the job while the fans were really happy with these transfers.

This.

Maybe not the starting QB but yeah he has to change his attitude to reach his potential. Not sure that he has reached it. I like Franks...he's a good competitor. Some people give him to much crap though and he brings some of it on himself.

Speaking of...I just heard Jeff Driskel will be starting today.

See...one never knows.
Driskell has been a steady back up IN THE NFL...we never got out of him what we could have under those 2 idiot coaches. Brisstte starts for Indy and we had several others. Chump never developed anyone when he was here.

You are kidding right equating this to Franks I hope. You are talking about QBs with good field vision and improvizasion skills etc. playing in very high powered offenses that everyone already knew they would be stars where they landed except Burrow who looked decent and improvised rather well last season when playing in that dinosaur passing game. I think Burrow ran for more yards than Franks last season also. Not one of the top teams fans would be happy if they found out Franks was going there to compete for the job while the fans were really happy with these transfers.
Do you not remember how shitty Jeff Driskel looked? He got benched in favor of Treon Harris.

Burrow, Hurts, Fields, and the OK duo were only examples of right fit for right timing.

You honestly don't think Franks can do what slaw azz Quenton Dormardy is doing? You honestly thought Brady White would be a legit QB? Shane Buechele would be throwing for 400 yards per game? Justice Hansen ran wild in the Sunbelt last year. I do think Franks would be a stud in the Sunbelt, MAC, or CUSA if he chose that route.

As stated Jeff Driskel is starting an NFL game today. His Mizzou fiasco was worse then Frank's Mizzou fiasco. Nate Peterman is in the NFL, do you even remember his tenure at UTn?

Driskell has been a steady back up IN THE NFL...we never got out of him what we could have under those 2 idiot coaches. Brisstte starts for Indy and we had several others. Chump never developed anyone when he was here.
And McElwain couldn't even develop Will Grier to put up multiple 300 yard passing games. Mullen did wonders with Franks last season from what he was playing under Mc.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Do you not remember how shitty Jeff Driskel looked? He got benched in favor of Treon Harris.

Burrow, Hurts, Fields, and the OK duo were only examples of right fit for right timing.

You honestly don't think Franks can do what slaw azz Quenton Dormardy is doing? You honestly thought Brady White would be a legit QB? Shane Buechele would be throwing for 400 yards per game? Justice Hansen ran wild in the Sunbelt last year. I do think Franks would be a stud in the Sunbelt, MAC, or CUSA if he chose that route.

As stated Jeff Driskel is starting an NFL game today. His Mizzou fiasco was worse then Frank's Mizzou fiasco. Nate Peterman is in the NFL, do you even remember his tenure at UTn?

Lol Driskel is only in the NFL due to that Cincy coach picking him up due to his physical traits after SF cut him after the pre-season. He wouldn't be on a roster now if that was never done. Driskel is a 0% threat to ever be a decent starting QB in the NFL over a season. He doesn't have it upstairs enough.

Coaching and QB development matters. It was a shame that Driskel and Brissett had to play under Muschamp.

I see the Brissett situation like this year kind of until the change. The coach was hell bent on playing one over the other even though the starter wasn't improving that much. We were a mess when Brissett got his quick chance so he was never given a decent opportunity. I really thought Trask must be mediocre at best since Mullen left Franks out there but that was proven 100% wrong. Crazy how many times things play out this way.

This is the 3rd time it took an injury for Mullen to put the better QB as the starter.

Lol Driskel is only in the NFL due to that Cincy coach picking him up due to his physical traits after SF cut him after the pre-season. He wouldn't be on a roster now if that was never done. Driskel is a 0% threat to ever be a decent starting QB in the NFL over a season. He doesn't have it upstairs enough.
Thats exactly my point. Franks has as much as the physical traits as Driskel. I wouldnt be surprised if Franks makes the league.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I see the Brissett situation like this year kind of until the change. The coach was hell bent on playing one over the other even though the starter wasn't improving that much. We were a mess when Brissett got his quick chance so he was never given a decent opportunity. I really thought Trask must be mediocre at best since Mullen left Franks out there but that was proven 100% wrong. Crazy how many times things play out this way.

This is the 3rd time it took an injury for Mullen to put the better QB as the starter.
I’m not convinced Trask is better than Franks. Is Trask a better passer? Yes most definitely but he is a square peg into a round hole into what we would like to do on offense. If we were running Spurrier’s system then Trask would be the better fit. The offense has improved a bunch but it won’t take that next step until we get a DT QB.

I’m not convinced Trask is better than Franks. Is Trask a better passer? Yes most definitely but he is a square peg into a round hole into what we would like to do on offense. If we were running Spurrier’s system then Trask would be the better fit. The offense has improved a bunch but it won’t take that next step until we get a DT QB.
Its not even close imo. We lose to KY and SC both with how those games were playing out. We improved late last season due to letting Franks throw less and running more as a % of the plays. We don't have that ability this year and probably won't improve a ton next year with that. Both big comebacks last season were spurred by us just running it down their throats with the help of Franks running also.

Yea seriously that’s nonsense. Trask is a better passer than Franks but he’s worse in every other area of the position. It’s funny how everyone overlooks the major gaffes by Trask because he’s more likeable than Franks. Between the interceptions and fumbles he’s turned the ball over more in 7 games than Franks did in all of 13 games last year. That is not even counting the drive killing sacks that he repeatedly takes game after game. The idea Mullen was playing the worse QB and everybody could see it but him is stupid.

Yea seriously that’s nonsense. Trask is a better passer than Franks but he’s worse in every other area of the position. It’s funny how everyone overlooks the major gaffes by Trask because he’s more likeable than Franks. Between the interceptions and fumbles he’s turned the ball over more in 7 games than Franks did in all of 13 games last year. That is not even counting the drive killing sacks that he repeatedly takes game after game. The idea Mullen was playing the worse QB and everybody could see it but him is stupid.

Disagree. Franks is huge liability as a passer without a good running game out there. One thing I agree with opposing fans was why the heck was he even out there but I figured Trask had to be mediocre which he is better than that.

You can disagree, nothing supports it. Against FBS teams Franks had a better completion %, higher yards per attempt, and a higher QB rating until just recently. Trask probably passed him up after yesterday but there wasn’t some huge difference between their play even if I consider Trask the better passer. Throw in everything else Franks does better like move outside the pocket and it’s obvious Trask isn’t better overall. Y’all just didn’t like Franks so y’all would blame him for stuff that wasn’t even his fault while now excusing every mistake Trask makes.

You talk about how we lose to UK with Franks when at the time of his injury Franks was 12/17 for 174. He wasn’t the issue. Grantham’s garbage defense was getting lit up by a backup QB and we barely possessed the ball until the 4th but that’s conveniently not mentioned. Meanwhile Trask fumbles three times against Auburn leading to all their points and you say we wouldn’t have won that game with Franks as if we didn’t almost lose because Trask couldn’t stop turning the ball over and the defense didn’t save our ass. Y’all just pick and choose to support your biases.

I hope Franks does leave and finds somewhere else and does well. This fan base is trash.

Yes Agreed that Trask has some issues specifically TO related. It gets overlooked because a lot of people just don’t like Franks.

My personal opinion is they are about the same. Each one is better at something than the other one. IMO there isn’t a clear cut starter between the two.

Passing is kinda a big deal for the QB position...We are a better team with Trask behind center.
It is important for sure but so are TOs and taking sacks, etc. Mullen would prefer a more mobile QB as well which Trask is clearly not.

...and ironically, didn’t he have his most productive numbers running it yesterday...if not...it sure felt like it...

Trask was lights out yesterday...there is no debate anyone can even have about it...
He did have a very good game yesterday. Could have done without those 2 pics in the red zone however.

Reactions: sadgator
Franks reminds me a lot of Driskell, yet somehow even less like able because of his immaturity.

I know that what I’m about to say is going to be countered with “BUT HES STARTING FOR THE LIONS TODAY!!!!”, but Driskell and Franks would both be better off focusing on baseball. Especially Driskell. Superb athlete, just not a smart QB.

Myles. BOTH may make a bit of a career as a backup NFL QB, but I think both would have had better baseball careers (Jamies Winston would have as well).

I get it. Being a good baseball player isn’t as glamorous, apparently, as being a backup NFL QB, but they’re better suited to that, in my opinion.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Franks reminds me a lot of Driskell, yet somehow even less like able because of his immaturity.

I know that what I’m about to say is going to be countered with “BUT HES STARTING FOR THE LIONS TODAY!!!!”, but Driskell and Franks would both be better off focusing on baseball. Especially Driskell. Superb athlete, just not a smart QB.

Myles. BOTH may make a bit of a career as a backup NFL QB, but I think both would have had better baseball careers (Jamies Winston would have as well).

I get it. Being a good baseball player isn’t as glamorous, apparently, as being a backup NFL QB, but they’re better suited to that, in my opinion.
When you make the NFL in football you play in the NFL. The least you make is $500,000. When you make the pros in baseball you live in a rental apartment in some remote small town, ride on a bus to and from games, watch things such as sheep races between innings ,make $42,000 at best, and may do this for a decade.

I honestly liked playing baseball more than football and know longterm you can make more of you make the league, but the NFL is instant success.

BTW Jeff Driskel is starting today. :D That's better than being a backup 3rd baseman for the Portland Sea Dawgs hoping that the Lowell Spinners call you up.

If you don’t want Franks we will gladly take him. Most of you are taking that kid for granted. He’s highly competitive and highly athletic.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
If you don’t want Franks we will gladly take him. Most of you are taking that kid for granted. He’s highly competitive and highly athletic.

Right.... The FSU fans would riot if they heard Franks was coming in to start for them.

Reactions: gatordad3
Driskel was not bad today. He’s started 7 games in the NFL and put up better numbers than he did for UF. There was quite a bit of sentiment on this board that he couldn’t play at all.

Our offense is much better with Trask. As far as Mullen’s opinion now that he’s seen them both, we don’t have to speculate. This offseason will tell it.

Driskel was not bad today. He’s started 7 games in the NFL and put up better numbers than he did for UF. There was quite a bit of sentiment on this board that he couldn’t play at all.

Our offense is much better with Trask. As far as Mullen’s opinion now that he’s seen them both, we don’t have to speculate. This offseason will tell it.

That is why Jones won't have a chance to win the job unless he was just crazy good in camp. Mullen is one of those coaches that is kind of hard headed about starting the guy that has been starting based on his past.

Next season will be curious to to see with all these receivers leaving however.

It's amazing to me how we haven't been able to recruit a truly big time QB. Franks & Trask both have their strengths and weaknesses, but neither is an elite QB and THE University of Florida should have one of those most all the time. It's fun to speculate how the record would have been if Franks had remained healthy and compare the stats of the two guys. But nobody truly know and it all comes down to subjective opinion. Franks had some great games last year and led us to a 10-3 record. Trask has had some solid games this year and we are in a position to equal or better last year's record. I'm pulling for whoever is in there, but wish we could get a no-doubter in that position.

I truly believe Driskell would have been an All-American type QB under Mullen. He was a really gifted runner, and opponents would have had to gameplan to stop the QB run game. He wasn't a terribly accurate passer, but in this offense you don't have to be in you are a good enough runner. The WR's run wide open all the time. They did for Tebow.

Reactions: bradleygator

Another Power 5 school?

An FCS team?

I just don't seen anyway he doesn't transfer after how Trask has performed with the same receivers he just threw line of scrimmage area passes the whole game with a few bombs.

I hope he can practice by the Spring also or he may have a hard time winning the starting job just having the camp to do it wherever he goes with the other QBs having the spring under their belt.
You're making one huge assumption, to-wit: that he'll be physically able to play. His injury was as bad as it gets, and football most likely won't be in his future. 'Most likely" means there's still a chance, but he needs to think twice about taking it. It's going to cause him problems the rest of his life as it is.

Another Power 5 school?

An FCS team?

Wow, a Gator with common sense and good judgment starting a thread here? Wonders do persist, that's for sure.

For years, I've been advising every Florida Gator fan with an IQ north of 100 that I've encountered that Franks is out of his element. He's obviously a very gifted athlete but he's not a SEC quarterback. Short on discipline and much too erratic.

The fact that he appealed to such a large segment of your fan base is really not that surprising. Let me review my Twitter feed for those Gator fans and their "Franks for Heisman" predictions for some more solid gold entertainment that you guys provide on such a regular basis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT