ADVERTISEMENT

Where did you go to College?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admitted to UF Honors College
Went to Sewanee, full ride
Vanderbilt Business School

Would I do it all over again the same way? In broad strokes - probably. Had a great time, learned a tremendous amount and despite a few "twists and turns" early on, have had more financial and career success then I ever thought I would have.

Applied here and to today's context, when people speak of "separating", even though I spent the first years of my life on the upper east side of NY, I read Jefferson Davis' piece on the Confederacy and spoke about it with fraternity brothers. The reasons back then, were horrific and it is hard to create a metaphor for "way of life", but at some visceral level, I have understanding for the comments being made in today's context.

Thanks. I've never heard the term outside of its use with black Muslims.

The Alabama Crimson Tide fan base is the dumbest in the country and there isn't a close second.

Alabama's fan base stupidity is not a function of a small minority of bad apples ruining it for the rest of the fans, nope, it's the majority of the fan base that gives Alabama fans a bad name.

Let's be clear about this, Harvey Updyke was not an outlier.

When news broke that authorities had arrested a man for poisoning the trees at Auburn, millions of Alabama fans secretly thought to themselves, "God, I hope it's not Uncle Ray."

That's because Harvey Updyke could have easily been in many Bama families.

Easily.

Alabama fans are so dumb that every single other SEC fan base thinks, "Damn, you Bama fans are really stupid."

Kentucky fans are like, "These Bama fans need to get their lives in order."

The Alabama fan base is a fractious mix of two distinct groups who can't really stand each other.

At the top of the list is the 10-15% of the fan base that could actually be admitted to Alabama or attended the school.

This group hates most of the rest of the Alabama fan base with a passionate fury.

Right now they are reading this column and silently nodding.

The other 85% of Bama fans are incapable of coherent thought and have a deep-seated insecurity about all things in life. Alabama football comprises, and this is not an exaggeration, 99% of their self esteem.

——————​

20 reasons every Auburn fan hates Alabama​

Chris Marler | 5 years ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...ll/20-reasons-every-auburn-fan-hates-alabama/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/20-reasons-every-auburn-fan-hates-alabama/&text=20+reasons+every+Auburn+fan+hates+Alabama

Ah, Thanksgiving. That special time for family, love and Auburn fans being eternally thankful that they’re not Alabama fans …
Alabama grads? That’s funny. Alabama fans aren’t even Alabama grads. That’s just one of the 20 reasons we hate Alabama.

1. The 85%: As in the running joke that 85 percent of Alabama’s fans never went to school there. It must be nice to have extra money to pay Nick Saban since you don’t have to spend it on student loans from going there …

• Haha
Reactions: Mdfgator
1 class room course in economics at Gonzaga while stationed at Fairchild AFB, where I was introduced to African leaders Lamumba, Kasavubu (Kasa-vubu), and Mobutu. A few correspondence credit hours at U of Maryland in economics while isolated tour at Goose AB, Labrador.

MI-6 and British Gurkha Mercenary battle tactics training while stationed at Goose AB. Her Majesty's Secret Service candidate had to live in a chamber for 30 days with a chambermaid never knowing. I can still do it.

The Gurkha would rather walk a mile and slit a throat than shoot an enemy from long range. I'd rather take the shot.

1 class room course in economics at Gonzaga while stationed at Fairchild AFB, where I was introduced to African leaders Lamumba, Kasavubu (Kasa-vubu), and Mobutu. A few correspondence credit hours at U of Maryland in economics while isolated tour at Goose AB, Labrador.

MI-6 and British Gurkha Mercenary battle tactics training while stationed at Goose AB. Her Majesty's Secret Service candidate had to live in a chamber for 30 days with a chambermaid never knowing. I can still do it.

The Gurkha would rather walk a mile and slit a throat than shoot an enemy from long range. I'd rather take the shot.

👍
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u5.jpg

Sunburnt Indian...for the win!!!

c0689af20a01c11150b075492da3fecdd77b8843.gif

Well done. I knew you would come through.

Still waiting on Ghost, the Welcher, and a few others. Ghost is most certainly an 85%er

I had a high school classmate who is very successful in business and life and could have gone to any college he wanted, National Merit Scholar over 1550 out of the then 1600 on SAT. He started a plumbing business out of school and eventually had a multi million dollar company.

Once in high school we had a pompous asshole as a substitute teacher, maybe BCS's dad?;
but he asked how many of us had been to an opera. This was a group of students where a drive-in theater would be considered a high brow event. After several seconds this idiot told us you have never lived if you have not been to the opera. Well my friend raised his hand and asked the sub if he had ever been on a lake at sunrise fishing for bass, and when the teacher said he had not, he told the man that maybe he had not lived yet either.

He retired at 45 and fished any day he was not helping at the local food bank or helping at his church. He never went to college or the opera.

I had a high school classmate who is very successful in business and life and could have gone to any college he wanted, National Merit Scholar over 1550 out of the then 1600 on SAT. He started a plumbing business out of school and eventually had a multi million dollar company.

Once in high school we had a pompous asshole as a substitute teacher, maybe BCS's dad?;
but he asked how many of us had been to an opera. This was a group of students where a drive-in theater would be considered a high brow event. After several seconds this idiot told us you have never lived if you have not been to the opera. Well my friend raised his hand and asked the sub if he had ever been on a lake at sunrise fishing for bass, and when the teacher said he had not, he told the man that maybe he had not lived yet either.

He retired at 45 and fished any day he was not helping at the local food bank or helping at his church. He never went to college or the opera.
LOL. My father grew up on a farm.

Good for your friend. I never said you had to go to college to be successful, although it certainly helps. And I’ve never been to an opera either.

Uf. Chemistry 76
Emory DDS 81

SSA U 2018
I interviewed at Emory Dental in '83, among other schools. I remembered it, in particular, because of a pompous a-hole admissions director named Dr. Going. He told me that many students were turning down state schools to go to Emory and if they by some longshot deemed me worthy of admission, which was unlikely, I would be foolish not to jump on the opportunity. I was equal parts amused and pissed at his boundless arrogance.

Fast forward to 1987, I had recently graduated from UOP and had done well enough to get into a great perio residency when I caught wind that Emory was closing its doors in '88.

My thoughts went to Dr. Going and his soon to be unemployed ass. I tinkered with the idea of calling him, but got too busy, haha ...

Last edited:

The Alabama Crimson Tide fan base is the dumbest in the country and there isn't a close second.

Alabama's fan base stupidity is not a function of a small minority of bad apples ruining it for the rest of the fans, nope, it's the majority of the fan base that gives Alabama fans a bad name.

Let's be clear about this, Harvey Updyke was not an outlier.

When news broke that authorities had arrested a man for poisoning the trees at Auburn, millions of Alabama fans secretly thought to themselves, "God, I hope it's not Uncle Ray."

That's because Harvey Updyke could have easily been in many Bama families.

Easily.

Alabama fans are so dumb that every single other SEC fan base thinks, "Damn, you Bama fans are really stupid."

The Alabama fan base is a fractious mix of two distinct groups who can't really stand each other.

At the top of the list is the 10-15% of the fan base that could actually be admitted to Alabama or attended the school.

This group hates most of the rest of the Alabama fan base with a passionate fury.

Right now they are reading this column and silently nodding.

The other 85% of Bama fans are incapable of coherent thought and have a deep-seated insecurity about all things in life. Alabama football comprises, and this is not an exaggeration, 99% of their self esteem.

——————​

20 reasons every Auburn fan hates Alabama​

Chris Marler | 5 years ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...ll/20-reasons-every-auburn-fan-hates-alabama/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/20-reasons-every-auburn-fan-hates-alabama/&text=20+reasons+every+Auburn+fan+hates+Alabama

Ah, Thanksgiving. That special time for family, love and Auburn fans being eternally thankful that they’re not Alabama fans …
Alabama grads? That’s funny. Alabama fans aren’t even Alabama grads. That’s just one of the 20 reasons we hate Alabama.

1. The 85%: As in the running joke that 85 percent of Alabama’s fans never went to school there. It must be nice to have extra money to pay Nick Saban since you don’t have to spend it on student loans from going there …

Ok.

I've never had an issue with our non-alum fan base.

LOL. My father grew up on a farm.

Good for your friend. I never said you had to go to college to be successful, although it certainly helps. And I’ve never been to an opera either.

I've fished at sunrise and I've been to the opera and I've enjoyed both and had a sh1t time at both.

But I absolutely prefer the activity where there isn't a fat girl singing.

If any, And did you graduate.

Just curious to know who I am conversing with.

UF here, of course. Two business degrees.

Now don’t be embarrassed Alabama freeloader T-shirt fans. We know you are an 85%er. (Look it up). And I’m curious if FakeMensa even went to college.

PS. No judgment.
University of Kentucky-B.S. Chemical Engineering

McNeese State - MBA

LOL….. UK fans save their disdain for UT fans.

My lovely wife the LSU fan in our household hates the Tide with a passion; I’m personally indifferent except when they’re playing UK or LSU - UK for obvious reasons and LSU for other obvious reasons.

• Haha
Reactions: BamaFan1137
OU B.S Business communication 1988

Building Construction License

Light industrial
commercial
residential
real estate

I’m the smartest SOB I know 😭😭

61Q+HgD3NiL._AC_SX300_SY300_.jpg
🤛

I knew you’d finally show up.

Unlike some others that are too afraid, I guess.

• Wow
Reactions: nail1988
I remember nail1988 was a fierce warrior at the SoonerSpinZone. A great medicine man worthy of a seat at the Kiowa Medicine Lodge.

Sunny and I have dealt with the slow for many years now.

OOB on Soonerscoop and the soonerspinZone. We have dealt with many slow like Skeptic, and PBHG

We have takin our talents to to the SEC on the lizard board to root out the lowIQ and very slow like my best buddy @BSC911 😭( im still waiting on my boat ride) 🙃

Last edited:
That's awesome! Good for your sons. The hitting was the fun part of the game. My bro played at UMD and lives near Baltimore, he still plays old man lax, but spends much of his time reffing high level club and HS games in the area. He tells me I would have gotten thrown out of 80% of the games he refs today delivering legal hits of old. That's sad to me.

There is a great story to go with the pic above. I wrote it up a few years ago. Here it is:

It's spring 1989 and I'm playing club ball with Memphis Lacrosse Club. We go to a tourney outside of St. Louis in Fenton, MO, held at the complex where the US National Soccer team trains. Great complex with nice artificial turf fields. We are getting ready to play our first game against New Orleans LC, a decent team, but one we had beaten at their Mardi Gras tourney a few months earlier.

Watching them warm up, I see a guy who looked really familiar to me, but hadn't played for them the last time. He was a big dude 6'4" and maybe 230 lbs. with red hair and a red moustache. It was bothering me that I couldn't place him, so I approached him while he was stretching and told him he looked familiar. He said the same. He told me his name and I instantly placed him. I remembered seeing him play in HS in NY - Nyack HS was a lax hotbed (he was 2 years ahead of me) and had seen him at a few parties thrown by Nyack guys, who I lifeguarded with several years earlier or at the bars in Nyack, I didn't recall which. I asked him what he was up to and he said he was in the Air Force, stationed in Biloxi, MS, and NOLC was the closest lax club to him. I saw he had a short stick and asked him why he wasn't playing in the goal. He said he only played goalie in HS (he was a 1st team all-county goalie) because it was the only place he could start, since the team was so stacked with future D-i and D-II players. I wished him luck and went back to my team.

I tell my teammates about my conversation with the big dude and warn them that he's really good and probably better than most of the guys they come up against. They just kinda pooh poohed my comments and said we beat them before, we'll beat them again. I shook my head and said if you take him lightly, you will be sorry. Again, they were unimpressed. I finally said he's really good, ignore him at your own risk. I got a bunch of sarcastic ok signs in return.

The game starts and Wally is playing attack and lighting us up. It's a really good, really tight, back and forth game. He played a few runs at middie when not on attack, but I never went up against him. My guys were in disbelief at the performance he was having. We end up winning a squeaker, 14-13. I had a good game with 3 goals and 2 assists, but that was nothing compared to the 11 goals and 2 assists Wally put up. It was an incredible performance. A couple of my guys approached me after the game and said, no promises, but next time you say something, we might consider listening. Take home message: On any given topic, never dismiss what people have to say who know more than you do..
Questions occurred to me today as I don’t know many refs.

I know it varies but can you ask your brother two questions?

In the rule book there’s nothing about slashing that mentions location of the strike. It’s about “intent to injure” and if “a player would reasonably be considered injured if not wearing protective gear”. Obviously strikes (not brushes) to the head are always a flag. But can you ask him how he decides when a strike is a slash?

And then hard checks. Is there a limit to how hard one player can hit a ball carrier if his hands are together and he’s not hitting high? I coach “just hard enough to dislodge the ball” but I don’t think that makes sense to kids. I’m also a football guy…you are hanging out on our crease I’ll take the penalty if it prevents a goal. Hopefully next time the offensive player feels rushed when in a dangerous position.

And that’s a great story….more than other sports I’ve coached (basketball and football) you cannot judge a book by its cover in lax. Our best player is an elf, but he’s absolutely filthy stick skills-wise and strong as an ox. If he was 3” taller I’m convinced he’d be getting D1 attention. He’s a rising Jr so who knows, maybe he will.

OOB on Soonerscoop and the soonerspinZone. We have dealt with many slow like Skeptic, and PBHG

We have takin our talents to to the SEC on the lizard board to root out the lowIQ and very slow like my best buddy @BSC911 😭( im still waiting on my boat ride) 🙃
I barely go to Scoop anymore.

It’s been overrun with the promo members.

I interviewed at Emory Dental in '83, among other schools. I remembered it, in particular, because of a pompous a-hole admissions director named Dr. Going. He told me that many students were turning down state schools to go to Emory and if they by some longshot deemed me worthy of admission, which was unlikely, I would be foolish not to jump on the opportunity. I was equal parts amused and pissed at his boundless arrogance.

Fast forward to 1987, I had recently graduated from UOP and had done well enough to get into a great perio residency when I caught wind that Emory was closing its doors in '88.

My thoughts went to Dr. Going and his soon to be unemployed ass. I tinkered with the idea of calling him, but got too busy, haha

I got out in 81, and I think Dr. Going was with oral surgery and by 83 the writing was on the wall. Federal capitation ended and the tuition grew from 1400 my freshman year to 6000 my senior year and UF had graduated several classes and UGA was up and running. Emory had some great instructors and was clinically focused and I had a great effing time in Atlanta. You were lucky not to be there after 83. Retired three years ago and the young gun that took over my practice had 325,000 dollars in loans; different world. I worked during dental school and had a total of 5000 in debt when I graduated. Practiced for 38 years in one spot and had the same two hygienists for all 38 years. I had one assistant for 35 years; luckiest mfer in the world.

I got out in 81, and I think Dr. Going was with oral surgery and by 83 the writing was on the wall. Federal capitation ended and the tuition grew from 1400 my freshman year to 6000 my senior year and UF had graduated several classes and UGA was up and running. Emory had some great instructors and was clinically focused and I had a great effing time in Atlanta. You were lucky not to be there after 83. Retired three years ago and the young gun that took over my practice had 325,000 dollars in loans; different world. I worked during dental school and had a total of 5000 in debt when I graduated. Practiced for 38 years in one spot and had the same two hygienists for all 38 years. I had one assistant for 35 years; luckiest mfer in the world.
That's fantastic, but my question is: was Going always a pompous jackass or did I just catch him on a bad day?

LOL….. UK fans save their disdain for UT fans.

My lovely wife the LSU fan in our household hates the Tide with a passion; I’m personally indifferent except when they’re playing UK or LSU - UK for obvious reasons and LSU for other obvious reasons.

Two of my sisters graduated from LSU. One would be hard-pressed to realize that we all do actually love one another on game day....save those 3 hours. 😂

And my fellow Bammer will gut me for this but LSU is actually my 2nd favorite team. My nephew (who is the son of my sister who passed from cancer) also graduated from LSU and he was a GA on their 2019 National Championship team.

Me, my dad (ChE like you) and my grandfather graduated from UA. I'd love for my son to follow suit (he's 16) but a certain cow college down the road offers the degree that he is leaning towards as of this moment...so we will see.

That's fantastic, but my question is: was Going always a pompous jackass or did I just catch him on a bad day?
Everyone in administration were pompous except one dean. He and I had a smartass to smartass relationship. He had us all senior year make appointments with him to discuss setting up our donations as graduates. I took a small box placed a roll of pennies wrapped in tissue paper with a note: Dean Williams
I WOULD LIKE TO CANCEL OUR TIME AND I HAVE HAPPILY PROVIDED EMORY WITH MY FIRST 50 YEARS DONATION.

Geez, so I guess you’ve had to hear about Sunny’s fake Mensa test for years. talk about torture.

You seem like a decent guy but “rooting out” posters isn’t the object of message boards. Your little crew has run off anyone with half a brain as they get tired of the antics. Why are you guys so afraid of opposing views. That’s what makes a good message board. But I guess you all would rather have an echo chamber.

Who’s smarter, you or Ghost of UKAlum?
Probably Ghost1988…..he made a good choice in college…. The young lady talent in the Chem-E classes was far superior to that within the Mech Department - drank many a Salty Dog with the female Chem-E talent at a Lexington hole-in-the-wall pub called Thoroughbreds; listening to Jimmy Buffett

A number of my "fake" questions have been asked on these pages, none of which BSC911 can answer.

I have 3 gold coins identical to the eye. One is counterfeit. How do I very quickly determine the fake?

BSC911 would score lowest of any board member on my 60 question, 60 minute time limit "silly quiz." goldmom would abuse BSC911 in an intelligence quotient test session.

Probably Ghost1988…..he made a good choice in college…. The young lady talent in the Chem-E classes was far superior to that within the Mech Department - drank many a Salty Dog with the female Chem-E talent at a Lexington hole-in-the-wall pub called Thoroughbreds; listening to Jimmy Buffett
A man's got to know his limitations.

A number of my "fake" questions have been asked on these pages, none of which BSC911 can answer.

I have 3 gold coins identical to the eye. One is counterfeit. How do I very quickly determine the fake?

BSC911 would score lowest of any board member on my 60 question, 60 minute time limit "silly quiz." goldmom would abuse BSC911 in an intelligence quotient test session.
The fake is less dense than Gold or @BSC911?

I'm not familiar with what the ME women look like but the ChE woman mostly look like Amy from Big Bang Theory. So if they were hotter than your chicks...just DAMN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT