ADVERTISEMENT

What's Up With Kadarius Toney ? Film clips from Gator Maven !

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Has he made his decision on whether or not to return for 2020 ?

Article in G'ville Sun, on Special Teams (who eat first at team meals) shows -

Who’s back: Kadarius Toney (kickoffs).

http://www.gatorsports.com/2020/01/an-early-look-at-the-2020-florida-football-teams-special-teams/

Last I saw was Toney saying NFL didn't worry about injuries & that he thought he had "enough tape."

Anything definite ? IMO, he should return as his stats from last year are barely noticeable. There was a reason Mullen only put him on the field occasionally !

Does Kadarius Toney Have the Film to Declare for the NFL Draft?

"The NFL, they don't look at injuries when they do the draft," Toney said. "I feel like I [have enough tape to be drafted]."

"...Far too often, Toney relies upon his agility to make plays rather than follow the course of the play call."

In my opinion, Toney should absolutely return to Florida for his senior season. With Florida set to lose four receivers to graduation, Toney has an opportunity to drastically improve his production and continue developing in a bigger role in 2020.

Zach Goodall
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...-gators-kadarius-toney-declare-2020-nfl-draft

Not knocking the guy but if he wants any real shot at the NFL another year in college would help. If not we have other players that can fill in...we have players. If he leaves I wish him the best.

Honestly I don’t think Toney has much of an NFL career whether he comes back or not. What position is he going to play in the NFL?

Reactions: fsu939913
If he comes back then Dan needs to put him on the field. Can't tell you how many games I watched a game and he was standing on the sideline. Dan gave him the #1 jersey then damnit put him on the field. Dan compares him to Percy Harvin so then let's see the magic.

If he comes back then Dan needs to put him on the field. Can't tell you how many games I watched a game and he was standing on the sideline. Dan gave him the #1 jersey then damnit put him on the field. Dan compares him to Percy Harvin so then let's see the magic.

He missed something like 7 games. By the time he got back the offense was humming. Who was supposed to be benched to give him more touches? It sucks but his injury just ****ed him.

He's dynamic for sure. He needs to come back and prove he can stay healthy. Start him at WR, get him 3-4 touches per game on jet sweeps, etc, and lets see what he can do.

lol...he's no where near Percy....there will never be another Percy. On top of that he's been hurt and hardly has seen the field. If he's better than other players then he can see the field. Not hating on the guy but that's how it works.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
He's dynamic for sure. He needs to come back and prove he can stay healthy. Start him at WR, get him 3-4 touches per game on jet sweeps, etc, and lets see what he can do.

I agree that he needs to play WR, run routes, catch passes. He needs to be on the field for 30+ plays a game, THEN he can run a couple jet sweeps. Right now, defense key on the jet sweep when he is in the game, which is why it never works, and WILL never work as long as that's all he's doing.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I agree that he needs to play WR, run routes, catch passes. He needs to be on the field for 30+ plays a game, THEN he can run a couple jet sweeps. Right now, defense key on the jet sweep when he is in the game, which is why it never works, and WILL never work as long as that's all he's doing.
Ditto

Like comedian appearances on the old Johnny Carson show.
It's better to be 5 years late, than one day early when you make your 1st appearance.
Because it will Make or Break your entire career.... :eek:

Toney is simply just not ready for the NFL yet. o_O

And because of the type/style of his play, he really needs to have that Plan-B in place with his UF degree. So, don't be in a greedy hurry, or life time stupid on this... :cool:

As always, JMOHO's of course...

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Like comedian appearances on the old Johnny Carson show.
It's better to be 5 years late, than one day early when you make your 1st appearance.
Because it will Make or Break your entire career.... :eek:

Toney is simply just not ready for the NFL yet. o_O

And because of the type/style of his play, he really needs to have that Plan-B in place with his UF degree. So, don't be in a greedy hurry, or life time stupid on this... :cool:

As always, JMOHO's of course...
No offense here, but I honestly believe that 9 out of 10 of the guys who try to leave too early, fall into one of 2 categories, a desperate family situation for money at home and they can't wait that extra year, or more likely usually, they know they won't graduate. Have been running along with classes just enough to stay college eligible, but won't have the required credits to graduate once their 4 years are up. We don't know if either of these applies to Toney, but honestly as fans and laymen go, I don't think there's anyone who has spoken up that thinks it is a good idea he leave early and try for the NFL. He truly will be Jachai Polite 2.0, and that's even being generous as Polite had an outstanding season in his junior year, he just screwed it up in the combine and thereafter.

No offense taken at all. I've said previously that circumstances vary and decisions are made by each individual as needed, and as it should be...

If you're as dumb as a rock, unlikely to stay eligible, or your mother is dying this year without a major $$$ operation, and IF you are assured of being drafted, then go.
All things being equal and not critical, stay, get better, get a degree, and then go.

I don't know, or need to know, the personal details of each guys decision. :confused:
They will each do whatever it is that they believe is best for them.
All we do here is comment on what is or might be, for our own personal entertainment.

It's really a 'mind over matter' circumstance...o_O

They don't mind,,,, and we don't matter.... :cool:

PS
I believe that Toney is the only Jr that's not already stated they are back for 2020.
Best of Luck to him either way... :)

What happened to the days when they players would submit a request to the NFL to get graded on whether they should come out early or not? You never hear of any of that anymore and it used to go a LONG ways to getting these juniors to either ignore the sports agents or forego their senior years with some assured chances.

What happened to the days when they players would submit a request to the NFL to get graded on whether they should come out early or not? You never hear of any of that anymore and it used to go a LONG ways to getting these juniors to either ignore the sports agents or forego their senior years with some assured chances.

I'm sure he did, and it told him he wasn't ready.

But after 3 years, you run out of easy classes and find out you probably aren't going to remain academically eligible, so you go pro rather than get stuck in limbo.

Not saying that is Toney's issue, but a lot of times when guys seem to come out for no reason, that's the reason.

~ Dan and their position coaches talk to them about the NFL at the end of the regular season.
~ They can 'if they choose to' get feedback from the NFL on their possible draft status.
(guys like Trask with no immediate NFL interest declined to)
~ They can get 'dubious opinions' from all over the internet...
~ They have until Feb ?? (don't remember exactly -- 17th or so I think) to declare for the draft.

What I'm saying is that they have all of the information that anyone could need to make their decisions, and it still comes down to them and what they want to do.

Agreed.

Not sure you can coach "hands", but he could learn routes and become a real pain in the ass for opponents to cover just in case he does acquire catching skills, even if he is used for a decoy. He should work on catching punts sure handedly, he would be the MOST dangerous return man in the entire country if he did. He's got the most raw potential of anyone I can remember being at UF and just hasn't utilized it...and I'm guessing a good part of it rests on his own shoulders. He needs a rock solid year in college before entering the draft. The difference is MILLIONS in draft status.

~ Dan and their position coaches talk to them about the NFL at the end of the regular season.
~ They can 'if they choose to' get feedback from the NFL on their possible draft status.
(guys like Trask with no immediate NFL interest declined to)
~ They can get 'dubious opinions' from all over the internet...
~ They have until Feb ?? (don't remember exactly -- 17th or so I think) to declare for the draft.

What I'm saying is that they have all of the information that anyone could need to make their decisions, and it still comes down to them and what they want to do.
Mullen seems to be real honest with these guys about their future. Going to the NFL is a big deal but like many have said it's a big risk coming out to early.

Not sure you can coach "hands", but he could learn routes and become a real pain in the ass for opponents to cover just in case he does acquire catching skills, even if he is used for a decoy. He should work on catching punts sure handedly, he would be the MOST dangerous return man in the entire country if he did. He's got the most raw potential of anyone I can remember being at UF and just hasn't utilized it...and I'm guessing a good part of it rests on his own shoulders. He needs a rock solid year in college before entering the draft. The difference is MILLIONS in draft status.

He has football speed but he is nowhere in the ballpark of players like Harvin etc. I think Toney won't even stick out in the pros at all with his football speed actually.

Jan. 20 deadline to declare. College players must be out of high school for at least three years before applying.

Declaring for the NFL Draft versus Getting Drafted

There were 103 underclassmen granted special eligibility for the 2019 NFL Draft, according to NFL Media. An additional 32 players "in timely fashion under NFL rules officially notified the league office that they have fulfilled their degree requirements." Another nine players inquired about their draft status and are eligible for selection without the need for special eligibility.

Of those 103 underclassmen granted special eligibility, 30 went undrafted - 29.12%.

The prior year had seen 35 percent of underclassmen go undrafted. An additional 19 players (out of 41) went undrafted from those other two aforementioned categories.

No offense here, but I honestly believe that 9 out of 10 of the guys who try to leave too early, fall into one of 2 categories, a desperate family situation for money at home and they can't wait that extra year, or more likely usually, they know they won't graduate. Have been running along with classes just enough to stay college eligible, but won't have the required credits to graduate once their 4 years are up. We don't know if either of these applies to Toney, but honestly as fans and laymen go, I don't think there's anyone who has spoken up that thinks it is a good idea he leave early and try for the NFL. He truly will be Jachai Polite 2.0, and that's even being generous as Polite had an outstanding season in his junior year, he just screwed it up in the combine and thereafter.
I wonder also how often ego plays into it. Different sport, but I remember a few years ago a basketball player said “I think I’m ready” for the nba after their freshman season in which they averaged @7ppg. I mean, you can’t even average double figures in college and you think you’re ready? Granted there might have been other factors, but that was the reason he gave. I think you combine that with some other factors and you get some bad decision making.

Toney should come back. He plays a full season and combines his skill with consistency and stays healthy and he could shoot up the draft boards. Plus he won’t have a ton of miles on his body. I’m sure his talent could get him drafted but he’d have to land in the right place with a coach that knows how to use him, or he’ll be exactly what someone else said... a special teams guy for a few years until he gets hurt or some other flavor of the month comes along.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Receiver Kadarius Toney has more highlight-reel plays to make for the Gators.

A dynamic player with the ball in his hands who missed seven games this season due to a shoulder injury, Toney announced Sunday afternoon on social media that he is returning for his senior season in 2020.

Toney joins fellow receiver Trevon Grimes, cornerback Marco Wilson and safety Shawn Davis among UF's junior class to return to school for their senior season.

https://floridagators.com/index.aspx

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT