ADVERTISEMENT

Urb To Texas?

rhavill

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2008
I live in Ohio and the buzz around here the last few days has been that Texas has reached out to Urban Meyer and he is in the process of assembling a staff. Just rumors, but I will say the same sources told me he would be OSUs coach many days before it was announced.

I do think Texas would be a good fit for him. Endless resources, win at all cost environment, fertile recruiting environment.

If he’s smart, he waits until Clay Helton gets himself fired. Way better fit for a guy who struggles handling pressure, Texas boosters would piss him off so easily. At USC, he’d have similar recruiting advantages, an almost easier route to the playoff, and 100x less pressure from admin.

I don’t get everyone saying Texas boosters will give urban problems. The reason he had trouble here is because they wouldn’t make football king...that won’t be a problem at Texas.

Reactions: Sgator23
I don’t get everyone saying Texas boosters will give urban problems. The reason he had trouble here is because they wouldn’t make football king...that won’t be a problem at Texas.

Its probably because they’re notorious for being hard to deal with. They have so many big money guys that there’s a lot of infighting and wanting to be the biggest guy. So you get a lot of differing opinions and voices and stuff from a bunch of important people in your program. I heard recently that you have to be a great “CEO” type of guy there not just a great coach in order to deal with it. That’s why Mack Brown did well. He’s that guy that can mingle with everyone at the party and make them all feel important and tickle egos. Not saying urban isn’t that but if you don’t want to deal with it then it’s a major turn off probably. And based on his recent departures it may not be something he wants to deal with. Whether consciously being aware of that or just what it will do to his health over time.

If he’s smart, he waits until Clay Helton gets himself fired. Way better fit for a guy who struggles handling pressure, Texas boosters would piss him off so easily. At USC, he’d have similar recruiting advantages, an almost easier route to the playoff, and 100x less pressure from admin.

Only Oklahoma every year...no Tex A&M?
Not in that easy ass conference... He never has to leave the state to recruit ...it will be like Bowden in the ACC ...he will kill them.

Its probably because they’re notorious for being hard to deal with. They have so many big money guys that there’s a lot of infighting and wanting to be the biggest guy. So you get a lot of differing opinions and voices and stuff from a bunch of important people in your program. I heard recently that you have to be a great “CEO” type of guy there not just a great coach in order to deal with it. That’s why Mack Brown did well. He’s that guy that can mingle with everyone at the party and make them all feel important and tickle egos. Not saying urban isn’t that but if you don’t want to deal with it then it’s a major turn off probably. And based on his recent departures it may not be something he wants to deal with. Whether consciously being aware of that or just what it will do to his health over time.
If they hire urban it’s to win football games...to hire urban they’ll need every big donor to get on there knees and beg with an open check book or else they might end up 2nd-3rd fiddle in their own state. His position with boosters will be decided before he even gets hired because it’ll take them getting off their Texas high horse to do so. If they want to win again, they all know what they need to do...get out the way!

Reactions: jamminjethro
If they hire urban it’s to win football games...to hire urban they’ll need every big donor to get on there knees and beg with an open check book or else they might end up 2nd-3rd fiddle in their own state. His position with boosters will be decided before he even gets hired because it’ll take them getting off their Texas high horse to do so. If they want to win again, they all know what they need to do...get out the way!

Yup I agree on that. May be a problem that resolves itself because if it happens then it will only be because they stopped politicking and started actually trying to win

There was a report 4 days ago that Shelley Meyer was in Austin shopping for a house.
Real Estate Watch 2020: Urban Meyer's wife reportedly considering real estate in Austin (saturdaydownsouth.com)

Then 2 days ago Texas fans were claiming that Meyer had taped a show from a resort outside Austin.

Also on December 2nd there were reports that Texas officials had returned from meeting with Meyer.
Update on Urban Meyer and Texas (footballscoop.com)

Now there are reports that Meyer is trying to build a "core 4" if he takes the job at Texas
Sources: An update on Urban's meeting with Texas, and his status (footballscoop.com)

Only Oklahoma every year...no Tex A&M?
Not in that easy ass conference... He never has to leave the state to recruit ...it will be like Bowden in the ACC ...he will kill them.
Not saying its difficult per se, but think it'd be even easier in the Pac12. Oregon is probably on Oklahoma level, but the rest of the conference is worse IMO than the secondary teams of the Big12. Plus, he wouldn't have to leave Cali to recruit either. Could become USC's Pete Carroll 2.0 just as easily, (if not easier) as becoming Texas's 2.0. Urbs just doesn't strike me as the type of guy to put up with the politics you hear about at UT.

Reactions: webtu
I think UT would be the job for him. Not sure if he is a southern cal guy and its nicer to be able to take home more of your pay. USC would have to pay 20 percent more for him to have the same take home.

I live in Ohio and the buzz around here the last few days has been that Texas has reached out to Urban Meyer and he is in the process of assembling a staff. Just rumors, but I will say the same sources told me he would be OSUs coach many days before it was announced.

I do think Texas would be a good fit for him. Endless resources, win at all cost environment, fertile recruiting environment.
It is Texas fans creating the rumors and Herman has not been fired. Shameful. Meyer was walking around OSU with their polo on last night. He loves his TV gig and a less stressful life. Don’t forget he still has a cyst in his brain!

Reactions: jmlabree

He'd do well there, but I laughed at your assertion that there is a "win at all cost environment". If so, they've been terrible at it and aside from Daryl Royal and Mack Brown, and have been notorious for making mediocre to bad hires.

Agree with @E3PO, USC is the better job ...

Last edited:
USC is a better job. Less competition for recruits, less competition on the field, private school will likely give him more autonomy and coverage.
And, much higher taxes. I have a group of friends and colleagues in L.A./Beverly Hills that are in the process of moving themselves and their company to Austin. They've had enough of the lifestyle restrictions and are afraid of where the state taxes are headed.

That said, it will probably come down to where Urban and his family want to live, if he even decides to do it.

If that man goes to USC & wins a chip there hes the GOAT no question about it

Reactions: bigg8tr
In other words egos vs egos 😭

He'd do well there, but I laughed at your assertion that there is a "win at all cost environment". If so, they've been terrible at it and aside from Daryl Royal and Mack Brown, and have been notorious for making mediocre to bad hires.

Agree with @E3PO, USC is the better job ...
Lol you do know that we hired WMC for UT right!? And then shark humper after. Idk if that’s worse than strong and Herman but it’s dam close.

USC is a better job. Less competition for recruits, less competition on the field, private school will likely give him more autonomy and coverage.

No it isn't. And it hasn't been ever. Why do you think Carroll left and they haven't been much of anything since? The school doesn't support the football program the way the prestige in the name suggests they should. Texas does. Far better job, and likely the best job you could have in college football from a resources standpoint.

It is Texas fans creating the rumors and Herman has not been fired. Shameful. Meyer was walking around OSU with their polo on last night. He loves his TV gig and a less stressful life. Don’t forget he still has a cyst in his brain!

spent some time with urban earlier this year and I’d say this sentiment is in line with what he told me.

I just don’t think he says NO to Texas. One of the best jobs in the country and he will get whatever he asks for. Plus, I think he wants a chance to end his career in the good note and not how it ended at UF and once again at OSU. He is going to need a QB and there is a perfect guy at Ole Miss and another from UCF that could fit the offense perfectly.

Lol you do know that we hired WMC for UT right!? And then shark humper after. Idk if that’s worse than strong and Herman but it’s dam close.
Yes, but Pell, SOS, Urban and now Mullen have been very good to great. The history of UF football doesn't compare to Texas before 1980. Zook, Muschamp and Mac were bad, but they were a blip compared to Texas history of mediocrity as the flagship school in the state. I'm not just talking recent hires here ...

He should take the USC job this year if they offer. There is a very Good QB in Jake Garcia available. Urbs would dominate the Pac12.

Reactions: FresnoGator
Many of you are putting aside his serious health and stress issues, he said he doesn’t need the $$$ and enjoys his life what he is doing on TV. His family does not want to lose him.

yes FSU fans were crying for him last year and claiming he was sighted in Tallatrashee, and now Texas fans are creating the same rumors. The man, the coach, the husband, father and now grandfather has made his legacy, is happy and rich. He doesn’t need to risk what is more important to him and his family for Texas fans.....who by the way....still have Herman as their HC!!

Last edited:
Reactions: jamminjethro
There was a report 4 days ago that Shelley Meyer was in Austin shopping for a house.
Real Estate Watch 2020: Urban Meyer's wife reportedly considering real estate in Austin (saturdaydownsouth.com)

Then 2 days ago Texas fans were claiming that Meyer had taped a show from a resort outside Austin.

Also on December 2nd there were reports that Texas officials had returned from meeting with Meyer.
Update on Urban Meyer and Texas (footballscoop.com)

Now there are reports that Meyer is trying to build a "core 4" if he takes the job at Texas
Sources: An update on Urban's meeting with Texas, and his status (footballscoop.com)

I didn’t realize there were reports on this. I’ve been hearing rumors here in Ohio though

Zach Smith said he could confirm that Meyer was getting certified mail from USC a year ago....

it’s really shocking Helton is still coaching there...

Reactions: bigg8tr
And, much higher taxes. I have a group of friends and colleagues in L.A./Beverly Hills that are in the process of moving themselves and their company to Austin. They've had enough of the lifestyle restrictions and are afraid of where the state taxes are headed.

That said, it will probably come down to where Urban and his family want to live, if he even decides to do it.

Urban has more money than god already. If he really cared about money, he would be coaching today, not broadcasting. If he comes back, it’s to seek competitive glory and I’m sure USC would still compensate him well, regardless of the high tax rates we enjoy in California.

Yes, but Pell, SOS, Urban and now Mullen have been very good to great. The history of UF football doesn't compare to Texas before 1980. Zook, Muschamp and Mac were bad, but they were a blip compared to Texas history of mediocrity as the flagship school in the state. I'm not just talking recent hires here ...

If it wasn’t for Vince Y, erase that NC.

Urban has more money than god already. If he really cared about money, he would be coaching today, not broadcasting. If he comes back, it’s to seek competitive glory and I’m sure USC would still compensate him well, regardless of the high tax rates we enjoy in California.
I think winning would be easier at Texas. There would be more resources, more in-state talent and they are just desperate enough to sell their souls at this point

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT