ADVERTISEMENT

Two LSU QBs decide to transfer

GhostOfMatchesMalone

Ring of Honor
Oct 1, 2012
Lowell Narcisse and Justin McMillan.

Steve Ensminger's offense will likely be as bad as Fever thinks Florida's will be.

Lowell Narcisse and Justin McMillan.

Steve Ensminger's offense will likely be as bad as Fever thinks Florida's will be.

I think Burrow might do better than people think there. It was mop up duty but he at least appeared to have some field awareness unlike Franks. They are going to be really screwed if there are any injuries at that position however.

I will not pile on LSU because I am fully concinced if OSU fired Urban this will be his next job. And I do NOT want that, ever

I will not pile on LSU because I am fully concinced if OSU fired Urban this will be his next job. And I do NOT want that, ever

Urban's not returning to the SEC. He doesn't want to compete with Saban in recruiting, that's why he left the first time.

LSU is a trainwreck waiting to happen. It will either be this season or 2019, but at some point Ogre is taking them off the tracks.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Urban might end his career at ND is Kelly craps the bed the next few yrs
Regardless of whether he keeps this job, which I think looks likely, I thought the same. But the connections I have at ND say thats not the direction the admin is interested in going. BUT losing can change a lot of peoples minds in a hurry

Regardless of whether he keeps this job, which I think looks likely, I thought the same. But the connections I have at ND say thats not the direction the admin is interested in going. BUT losing can change a lot of peoples minds in a hurry

Their current coach is as big a dirtbag as Meyer. If they want a good citizen, Chris Petersen would be interesting.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
For now, but I'll be shocked if he doesn't go to Notre Dame.

Looks more and more likely that he will not be fired. The firestorm has quelled, the witch hunt has moved onto Maryland. He lied to the press, if that is his major crime he will not be fired.

I don't know a thing about the case that would tie Urban to being accountable, Zach Smith has said Urban threatened to fire him on the spot if the allegations were found true. Should he have terminated him for an allegation? I don't know, I have never dealt with anything similar to this. Perhaps I would have put him on paid leave while the case was under review. I don't know.

If he is retained at Ohio State, he will finish his career there (barring another incident). He is an Ohio guy, this and Notre Dame were probably his dream jobs. He will not leave a destination job for another imo.

Looks more and more likely that he will not be fired. The firestorm has quelled, the witch hunt has moved onto Maryland. He lied to the press, if that is his major crime he will not be fired.

I don't know a thing about the case that would tie Urban to being accountable, Zach Smith has said Urban threatened to fire him on the spot if the allegations were found true. Should he have terminated him for an allegation? I don't know, I have never dealt with anything similar to this. Perhaps I would have put him on paid leave while the case was under review. I don't know.

If he is retained at Ohio State, he will finish his career there (barring another incident). He is an Ohio guy, this and Notre Dame were probably his dream jobs. He will not leave a destination job for another imo.

Meh. This is Urban Meyer. He doesn't stay anywhere for a long time. Probably because there's a shelf life on what he does.

I've thought that he's jump to Notre Dame whenever they fired Brian Kelley (kinda shocked they've kept him this long, definitely seems like he peaked there a while ago) but now with what's happened at OSU, I think it just hastens his exist. And I have a feeling that if Notre Dame doesn't kill it his year, Kelly is out.

Notre Dame is his true dream job.

Meh. This is Urban Meyer. He doesn't stay anywhere for a long time. Probably because there's a shelf life on what he does.

I've thought that he's jump to Notre Dame whenever they fired Brian Kelley (kinda shocked they've kept him this long, definitely seems like he peaked there a while ago) but now with what's happened at OSU, I think it just hastens his exist. And I have a feeling that if Notre Dame doesn't kill it his year, Kelly is out.

Notre Dame is his true dream job.

While his track record does show he has a habit of jumping around, I doubt at this stage in his life he would want to move again. Again this is if he is retained, has no future scandals.

I think if he really wanted to go to Notre Dame he would have done it while he was with us. I know he was coming off his hot point with us, but if the job was what he really wanted he would have left in '09.

I can't remember a coach leaving a destination job, unless you count Fisher at Florida State. That was for ridiculous money and for better facilities.

Notre Dame is not a better job than Ohio State in anyway shape or form. He coached under Lou Holtz there sure, but he also coached under Earl Bruce at Ohio State. It is much easier to recruit the type of players he likes at Ohio State. The guy doesn't recruit the highest character players in the world, that won't fly at Catholic Notre Dame.

I agree Notre Dame is a dream job of his, but there was a reason he didn't go in '09. He knows his antics wouldn't work there for long. He has everything he wants, needs at his current spot. Guys don't leave A+ jobs for other A+ jobs.

While his track record does show he has a habit of jumping around, I doubt at this stage in his life he would want to move again. Again this is if he is retained, has no future scandals.

I think if he really wanted to go to Notre Dame he would have done it while he was with us. I know he was coming off his hot point with us, but if the job was what he really wanted he would have left in '09.

I can't remember a coach leaving a destination job, unless you count Fisher at Florida State. That was for ridiculous money and for better facilities.

Notre Dame is not a better job than Ohio State in anyway shape or form. He coached under Lou Holtz there sure, but he also coached under Earl Bruce at Ohio State. It is much easier to recruit the type of players he likes at Ohio State. The guy doesn't recruit the highest character players in the world, that won't fly at Catholic Notre Dame.

I agree Notre Dame is a dream job of his, but there was a reason he didn't go in '09. He knows his antics wouldn't work there for long. He has everything he wants, needs at his current spot. Guys don't leave A+ jobs for other A+ jobs.

It just worked out that he went to Ohio State.

Brian Kelly took the job at Notre Dame in 2010, right before Meyer left Florida. So the job was filled. It just so happened to work out that during his year off, Tressel got fired, leaving the door wide open to go where he was a GA.

Onion State is a destination job, but for Meyer, Notre Dame is the job he's always wanted, going back to when he left Utah.

He came to Florida because he wasn't sure he could win at Notre Dame. 14 years and two jobs and 3 national championships later, in his early mid 50s, it makes sense for him to go there and close out his career where he believes it all started. And if he wins at Notre Dame? He is a God to them. No doubt. And that's what he craves.

How many coaches have won titles at 3 schools?

I'm telling you, if that job comes available, I will be truly shocked if he doesn't take it.

It just worked out that he went to Ohio State.

Brian Kelly took the job at Notre Dame in 2010, right before Meyer left Florida. So the job was filled. It just so happened to work out that during his year off, Tressel got fired, leaving the door wide open to go where he was a GA.

Onion State is a destination job, but for Meyer, Notre Dame is the job he's always wanted, going back to when he left Utah.

He came to Florida because he wasn't sure he could win at Notre Dame. 14 years and two jobs and 3 national championships later, in his early mid 50s, it makes sense for him to go there and close out his career where he believes it all started. And if he wins at Notre Dame? He is a God to them. No doubt. And that's what he craves.

How many coaches have won titles at 3 schools?

I'm telling you, if that job comes available, I will be truly shocked if he doesn't take it.

I agree that he would take it if he is feeling the heat baring down on him. If he feels like he has lifetime job security at Ohio State, I would be shocked if he ever left for another school. He already knows he can win at Ohio State, not sure if he could get the players he wants at Catholic Notre Dame.

If that job comes open I think they could poach whomever they wanted, except for schools like Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, USC, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, Georgia, or Penn State . Coaches don't leave these spots, they have money and recruiting prowess like no other.

Like you said though, he does view Notre Dame as dream school. My view is that Ohio State is probably number two, the margin between his preference is likely too small with all things considered. He is from that state, went to Cincinnati, became a grad assistant at Ohio State. Later became an assistant at Notre Dame under Lou Holtz. His ties to both schools are long, I can't see him ever leaving Ohio State if he is secure in his job .

We will see though, Kelly is not long for that job imo.

I agree that he would take it if he is feeling the heat baring down on him. If he feels like he has lifetime job security at Ohio State, I would be shocked if he ever left for another school. He already knows he can win at Ohio State, not sure if he could get the players he wants at Catholic Notre Dame.

If that job comes open I think they could poach whomever they wanted, except for schools like Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, USC, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, Georgia, or Penn State . Coaches don't leave these spots, they have money and recruiting prowess like no other.

Like you said though, he does view Notre Dame as dream school. My view is that Ohio State is probably number two, the margin between his preference is likely too small with all things considered. He is from that state, went to Cincinnati, became a grad assistant at Ohio State. Later became an assistant at Notre Dame under Lou Holtz. His ties to both schools are long, I can't see him ever leaving Ohio State if he is secure in his job .

We will see though, Kelly is not long for that job imo.

The chance to coach at the most storied program in the history of the sport would be pretty tough to turn down.

Yes for a coach of such integrity like Urban Meyer it would be hard to turn down the legacy of touchdown Jesus. He would certainly fit the mold wouldn’t he? Such a pure soul and truthful man.

The chance to coach at the most storied program in the history of the sport would be pretty tough to turn down.

Are they? Michigan was first, I don't view Notre Dame as that majestic elephant. They really haven't carried that cache of the program for a while now.

Army, Navy and the University of Chicago were all great in leather helmets as well.

Your program is on par or above Notre Dame in most peoples eyes under 40. They have Touchdown Jesus, Rudy, and a speech long ago. They aren't the only program that gets put on national television anymore.

Are they? Michigan was first, I don't view Notre Dame as that majestic elephant. They really haven't carried that cache of the program for a while now.

Army, Navy and the University of Chicago were all great in leather helmets as well.

Your program is on par or above Notre Dame in most peoples eyes under 40. They have Touchdown Jesus, Rudy, and a speech long ago. They aren't the only program that gets put on national television anymore.

I don't know what the disconnect is here.

He loves Notre Dame. Damn near went there instead of Florida.

And can he win st Ohio state? Yeah, he won it almost 4 years ago, but they've been left out as well.

Do you think he doesn't know that if he goes to his dream job of Notre Dame and finishes the regular season with one loss that he won't be a lock for the final 4?

It's debatable and a fun debate to have. They've definitely lost some luster since winning their last NC in 1988.

Michigan and Hurry Up Yost had some great teams over a century ago, hell I think Princeton has like 30 or 40 titles back in the late 19th century when only the Ivy League had teams.

Since 1925, I think Bama is the best program. But at the end of the day these kids care what you've done in the last 5-10 years.

And can he win st Ohio state? Yeah, he won it almost 4 years ago, but they've been left out as well.

Do you think he doesn't know that if he goes to his dream job of Notre Dame and finishes the regular season with one loss that he won't be a lock for the final 4?

A difference of opinion.

You think Notre Dame is the end all for Meyer. I don't see it that way, easy to see where the road forks.

Nobody knows the scenarios which would include/exclude any major program from the CFP. I don't doubt he loves Notre Dame, I don't think he would leave Ohio State for them with all things being equal. If things were flipped I would feel the same.

This is kinda the debate I suspect there will be with Dabo and Alabama in about 10 years. On paper, it makes sense that Urban would go to ND. But I do wonder if at some point in his life he doesn't think "I'm too damn old to start over at another school".

I don't think he's at that point yet. If he has to wait 5 more years....who knows?

This is kinda the debate I suspect there will be with Dabo and Alabama in about 10 years. On paper, it makes sense that Urban would go to ND. But I do wonder if at some point in his life he doesn't think "I'm too damn old to start over at another school".

I don't think he's at that point yet. If he has to wait 5 more years....who knows?

Oh I'm definitely assuming it's less than that.

Kelly would have to make a huge turn around for him not to get fired within two years

There are miles between Clemson and Alabama as far as program prestige and history, Ohio State is not behind Notre Dame.

Reactions: bradleygator
It's debatable and a fun debate to have. They've definitely lost some luster since winning their last NC in 1988.

Michigan and Hurry Up Yost had some great teams over a century ago, hell I think Princeton has like 30 or 40 titles back in the late 19th century when only the Ivy League had teams.

Since 1925, I think Bama is the best program. But at the end of the day these kids care what you've done in the last 5-10 years.
True enough, but there is a definite Tier 1. Alabama, USC, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Penn State, Florida, and Georgia are at that level. Resources, history, recruiting and financial support at these 10 are at another level.

You could argue the last three. Florida State may be seen above us by a few people. I argue that Florida is the school in this state.

Edit: Nebraska, Tennessee , and Miami have to be in the mix as well.

Last edited:
Yes for a coach of such integrity like Urban Meyer it would be hard to turn down the legacy of touchdown Jesus. He would certainly fit the mold wouldn’t he? Such a pure soul and truthful man.

He's about as pure as Notre Dame football, so it would work out.

Reactions: oozie7
True enough, but there is a definite Tier 1. Alabama, USC, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Penn State, Florida, and Georgia are at that level. Resources, history, recruiting and financial support at these 10 are at another level.

You could argue the last three. Florida State may be seen above us by a few people. I argue that Florida is the school in this state.

Edit: Nebraska, Tennessee , and Miami have to be in the mix as well.

This is a pretty good list, but some of these are definitely better positioned to succeed moving forward.

I think Nebraska and Tennessee are geographically disadvantaged, as far as recruiting, maybe Notre Dame and Michigan too. Supposedly, Notre Dame is tougher to qualify, but I'm not sure I buy that.

The rest of them you would think, if you plug in the right guy, you're going to be contending for the playoffs every year, but it's turned out to be more competitive than that for almost all of them.

No way is Notre Dame a better football job than OSU, but that's maybe the one program up there where its history and marketability trumps everything.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
This is a pretty good list, but some of these are definitely better positioned to succeed moving forward.

I think Nebraska and Tennessee are geographically disadvantaged, as far as recruiting, maybe Notre Dame and Michigan too. Supposedly, Notre Dame is tougher to qualify, but I'm not sure I buy that.

The rest of them you would think, if you plug in the right guy, you're going to be contending for the playoffs every year, but it's turned out to be more competitive than that for almost all of them.

No way is Notre Dame a better football job than OSU, but that's maybe the one program up there where its history and marketability trumps everything.

I remember having an exchange of words with a Notre Dame supporter back when they fired Weis. He was certain Meyer was going to leave us for that pot of lucky charms. I asked him why, he spouted off the same things I heard all the time. " It's the best job in the land. It's his dream job, blah blah blah.".

I made a 50 dollar bet with him that he would not leave us for them. He stopped talking to me about the best job in the land, after they introduced the former Cincinnati Bearcats head coach for a few weeks. After we settled on the bet the next month ,he was talking up how Brian Kelly was always their number 1 target. Sure.... Who would want a guy that just came off two titles in four years?

I don't know what will happen, only reason I bet the guy was because it was the only way to shut him up for a minute. He was so certain they were gonna nab our coach, I could have bet him 10 percent of all his future earnings and he would have taken it. He was about to enter law school so that might not be much anyhow. Lawyers are like cockroaches, I got ran into by a lady on her phone ,and a week later 5 lawyers offered to represent me in a lawsuit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT