ADVERTISEMENT

Trevon Grimes is coming back!!

Awesome news. Grimes, Pitts, Copeland, and hopefully #1, name escapes me, will make a great receiving corps.

tenor.gif

Just saw it on FB...good decision IMO...he'll be featured more and great for the football program. He has all the tools.

Draftniks have called this WR class one of the best and deepest ever. If there was ever a year to choose to come back to school, it's this year. Also helps to explain Terry coming back at FSU.

Just look at the 4 coming out of Alabama alone.

The field heading to the NFL draft is also why i still remain adamant that Fromm will not leave early this year for the NFL. Too many QB's leaving who are either better or are seniors. Sheabutter Patterson from MU. Tua most likely. Joe Burrow of course. I'm sure there are a dozen or more from teams in other conferences that I don't follow as well. Just seems to me a very heavy QB class going in this year. It'd be a year I'd stay out and return for my senior season unless I could pretty much guarantee top 4 rounds. Beyond that and you risk becoming a Brady Quinn.

Just look at the 4 coming out of Alabama alone.

The field heading to the NFL draft is also why i still remain adamant that Fromm will not leave early this year for the NFL. Too many QB's leaving who are either better or are seniors. Sheabutter Patterson from MU. Tua most likely. Joe Burrow of course. I'm sure there are a dozen or more from teams in other conferences that I don't follow as well. Just seems to me a very heavy QB class going in this year. It'd be a year I'd stay out and return for my senior season unless I could pretty much guarantee top 4 rounds. Beyond that and you risk becoming a Brady Quinn.

Good argument but in next year’s draft he is no better than the #3 QB behind Lawrence and Fields. Who knows what will happen by May 2021. I think Fromm is gone this year. Get it while you can.

Good argument but in next year’s draft he is no better than the #3 QB behind Lawrence and Fields. Who knows what will happen by May 2021. I think Fromm is gone this year. Get it while you can.

I think it possible that Fromm will also be rated behind Trask next year... :cool:

=====

A good start on the 2020 receiving corp:

Grimes Sr - 33 for 491 yds, 14.9 Yds/Rec, 3 TD's

Toney Sr - 10 for 194 yds, 19.4 Yds/Rec, 1 TD

Pitts Jr- 54 for 649 yds 12.0 Yds/Rec, 5 TD's

Copeland rsSo - 21 for 273 yds, 13.0 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's

Last edited:
Regardless of who ugly plays at the position, if our safety play doesn't massively improve between this year and next, the result might very well be the same. Their defense wont let up no matter how many they lose as kirby keeps stocking up there relentlessly. It's the lack of high level safety play that killed us against them this year in stopping their offense.

Maybe he is waiting to see what Tua does? If Tua stays, then he would be no better than the #4 QB next year and might actually be higher on the totem pole this year.

We had talent and depth at WR this year. But Swain, Cleveland, Jefferson and Hammond are going to be hard to replace. No doubt Grimes, Copeland and Toney will be the go-to guys next season, assuming Toney returns. But who will step up in the rotation? Rick Wells has the talent if he can stay out of trouble. The next guys in line appear to be Dionte Marks, Ja'Markis Weston and maybe Trent Whittemore. I think these are the only other wideouts on the current roster. The Fraziers kid from Dunnellon is signed and will get a chance to play early, I would imagine. Leonard Manuel is a big time player, but I don't expect to see him qualify. WR Jordan Pouncey has transferred from Texas, but he may have to sit out 2020. To me, this is a position we definitely could look to get a transfer portal guy, like the Shorter kid from Penn State. And some experts are thinking we get him.

We had talent and depth at WR this year. But Swain, Cleveland, Jefferson and Hammond are going to be hard to replace. No doubt Grimes, Copeland and Toney will be the go-to guys next season, assuming Toney returns. But who will step up in the rotation? Rick Wells has the talent if he can stay out of trouble. The next guys in line appear to be Dionte Marks, Ja'Markis Weston and maybe Trent Whittemore. I think these are the only other wideouts on the current roster. The Fraziers kid from Dunnellon is signed and will get a chance to play early, I would imagine. Leonard Manuel is a big time player, but I don't expect to see him qualify. WR Jordan Pouncey has transferred from Texas, but he may have to sit out 2020. To me, this is a position we definitely could look to get a transfer portal guy, like the Shorter kid from Penn State. And some experts are thinking we get him.

I keep hearing "if Toney returns". Where is he going to go? In 3 years I've seen him make about 4 plays. He's small and gets hurt easily. He would be in the last couple of rounds or undrafted.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Regardless of who ugly plays at the position, if our safety play doesn't massively improve between this year and next, the result might very well be the same. Their defense wont let up no matter how many they lose as kirby keeps stocking up there relentlessly. It's the lack of high level safety play that killed us against them this year in stopping their offense.

I accept that the safety position needs improving, but I put that game on the SEC officials.
Zero OL holding calls in the entire game. o_O
UF led the SEC in sacks (49), but had zero (held & mugged) vs UGly. :mad:

And you can't blame the safeties when the officials call two 'trapped balls' completions, that led to 10 Pts for the buttsniffers. :mad:

Last edited:
They didn't play as true Fr, but then with the Gator receiving depth (WR-TE-RB) they had no reason to...But it was not any lack of talent on their part imo, and now they've has a year with Savage & BillyG.

2020 Roster

WR/KR Dionte Marks 6-2 178 rsFr - Deland, FL
Sr Rec: 45 for 964 yds, 21.4 Yds/Rec, 10 TD's (1 Jet-sweep TD)
~ Standing Broad Jump - 11'-3" - Also a sprinter and long jumper.

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/dionte-marks/Bvt8VWY7Eea-8KA2nzwbTA/default.htm

WR Trent Whittemore 6-3 192 rsFr - Gainesville, FL (S-CB-WR-QB)
This kid is a baller... Played at S-CB-WR and QB (when QB went down injured) for Buchholz, where he started on varsity as a freshman. For his HS career:
Rec - 93 for 1,374 yds, 17 TD's plus 3 rushing TD's.
Pass - 1,026 yds, 12 TD's
DB - 196 Tkls, 28 P-BU's, 7 TFL, 7 Ints, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 Blk FG.

WR Ja'Markis Weston 6-3 217 rsFr - Clewiston, FL (Ath/DE)
Note: Dan's eval was a lot better than his *** recruiting service rankings. Who do you trust?
http://www.hudl.com/profile/6512412/JaMarkis-Weston

=====

And nobody seems to know about this kid from Tampa, but he might be more than just an after-thought.
Ath/QB-dt/WR/RB/CB/KR Jaylin Jackson 5-8 172 rsSo
He went 30-5 as the starting QB.
He had ship offers including UK, but chose to W-O to be a Gator.
Passing 5,621 yds, 66 TD's
Rushing 1,858 yds 30 TD's
CB 40 Tkls, 6 Ints.
He reminds me a bit of a more talented Brandon James.
Dan and BillyG need to get this kid on the field a little bit and see.... jmoho of course. :cool:

So yep, 4 Sr WR"s are gone, but that just means it's 'next man up' time.... o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT