ADVERTISEMENT

Today marks 4 months with shingles...

Sunburnt Indian

Bull Gator
Nov 7, 2001
It was May 14 when pink itching skin first showed. My doctor diagnosed worst case shingles he'd ever seen May 15 with oozing blisters. Doctor took pix. I have a purple itching stripe from the middle of the chest around the left to the middle of the back. Chest pain lingers. Weight loss is well under control. This AM, I weighed 194.0. I weighed 209.8 March 28 at Moderna stab II. I've held steady at around 194-195 probably for at least 3 weeks. Ibuprofen makes my chest feel better. Sometimes I hold off on the ibuprofen.

If I make November 14 with purple skin, I'll match the copperhead bite for purple.

If you had chicken pox or don't know and are over 50, get a vaccine. This is no fun.

Shingles vax is actually the one that scares me. I know or know of too many people who have had side effects for real. My neighbors best friend has been at Brooks Rehab here in Jax for six months after getting a shingles vaccine. Her right side is paralyzed.
A former co-worker missed work for seven days because they had severe side effects.

I had a mild case of shingles years ago long before I turned fifty. I know I can possibly get it again, but I'm just not confident I won't have problems.

Shingles vax is actually the one that scares me. I know or know of too many people who have had side effects for real. My neighbors best friend has been at Brooks Rehab here in Jax for six months after getting a shingles vaccine. Her right side is paralyzed.
A former co-worker missed work for seven days because they had severe side effects.

I had a mild case of shingles years ago long before I turned fifty. I know I can possibly get it again, but I'm just not confident I won't have problems.
“No causal link”

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq

Wife, daughter and her hubby took Shinglex vax. All is well. They looked at me and wanted no part of what they're seeing. Wife's gripe is $176 copay with each stab at Walgreens. How we miss AT&T health insurance before Mugabecare.

It was May 14 when pink itching skin first showed. My doctor diagnosed worst case shingles he'd ever seen May 15 with oozing blisters. Doctor took pix. I have a purple itching stripe from the middle of the chest around the left to the middle of the back. Chest pain lingers. Weight loss is well under control. This AM, I weighed 194.0. I weighed 209.8 March 28 at Moderna stab II. I've held steady at around 194-195 probably for at least 3 weeks. Ibuprofen makes my chest feel better. Sometimes I hold off on the ibuprofen.

If I make November 14 with purple skin, I'll match the copperhead bite for purple.

If you had chicken pox or don't know and are over 50, get a vaccine. This is no fun.
Sucks man
I’m very sorry

Reactions: Sunburnt Indian
SI hope you recover soon. Even my “mild” case was pretty miserable.
The sad part is, without the vaccine you can get this again so I'm told. Walgreen won't give me a vaccine till all signs disappear. I'm sitting here now with no chest pain, but with itching. Hot showers always ease the itching.

Can we be sure you had shingles and not the herp? 😉😂😂😂

Can we be sure you had shingles and not the herp? 😉😂😂😂
Why .... you got the Herp w/the exact same symptoms ??

Never mind, I know, you're ..........

just-checking-pulp-fiction.gif

My shingles is gone!!!!

At 4 months, I am now diagnosed with "posterpetic neuralgia" (PHN). Average symptoms of PHN lasts an average of 3 1/2 years my doctor tells me. My next agenda is pain management. I may get referred to a doctor in pain management.

I would trade this for a copperhead bite on each foot and another attack by a pit bulldog. Heck, I'll throw in another scorpion sting.

If needed, take your Shinglex vax!!!

My shingles is gone!!!!

At 4 months, I am now diagnosed with "posterpetic neuralgia" (PHN). Average symptoms of PHN lasts an average of 3 1/2 years my doctor tells me. My next agenda is pain management. I may get referred to a doctor in pain management.

I would trade this for a copperhead bite on each foot and another attack by a pit bulldog. Heck, I'll throw in another scorpion sting.

If needed, take your Shinglex vax!!!
My dad still takes Gabapentin on and off for nerve pain from shingles. Going on 4 years. Thankfully, its not that often now.

I've been prescribed Gabapentin for my peripheral neuropathy for years, doesn't do shit.

Gabapentin is often used for peripheral neuropathy, but it's actually not FDA-approved for that purpose. Its only FDA-approved use is for post-herpetic neuralgia and a specific type of seizure. All other uses are off-label, and frankly the only studies that have shown it being beneficial for peripheral neuropathy are ones sponsored by the company that makes Gabapentin, so there's a good deal of skepticism toward Gabapentin in the medical community.

With that said, that med can be taken at pretty high doses as long as it doesn't cause too much drowsiness. I've found many providers prescribing it low doses and never titrate it up when it doesn't work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT