ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on CFP Teams

It doesnt matter, Bama equals MONEY and lot's of it. People want the 4 best teams in there and DAMNIT TCU isnt one of them. Put them in there like last years's Cinci and any of the other 3 will ROLL their ass.

I think they may hang with Michigan some if they play them.

That leaves a question as to whether TCU or the Crimson Tide should be the other team included. TCU has a win over No. 10 Kansas State in the regular season and No. 20 Texas. Alabama's best wins are over No. 20 Texas and No. 24 Mississippi State. TCU's lone loss was on Saturday in overtime. Alabama lost to No. 7 Tennessee on the road on a last second field goal and to No. 14 LSU on the road in overtime.

Pulling out the microscope even more, TCU beat Texas 17-10 in Austin. The Crimson Tide won 20-19 in Austin. That gives TCU a slight edge in similar matchups if the CFP committee puts the two side-by-side.

Alabama has had a tougher schedule, though. The Crimson Tide is ranked No. 8 in strength of schedule, per ESPN's college football power index. The Horned Frogs are No. 36 in strength of schedule.

TCU has a better resume with the higher-ranked win, and Alabama doesn't have as impressive of a win. Still, perhaps the CFP committee gives more weight to Alabama's strength of schedule.

That said, TCU probably makes more sense to take a spot in the four-team field over the Crimson Tide considering TCU"s only loss was in overtime. Computers don't make the decision, though. There's a human element to the CFP committee's selection process. That's the wild card no one can anticipate.

It doesnt matter, Bama equals MONEY and lot's of it. People want the 4 best teams in there and DAMNIT TCU isnt one of them. Put them in there like last years's Cinci and any of the other 3 will ROLL their ass.
Tebow,

You have made this statement several times. In the context of the CFP I fail to understand how Bama being in the field has any effect on the "money."

CFP is national & bigger than any one team - Bama included.

Revenue stream, as I understand it, is already generated & independent of any one team; Bama's name / franchise no more important than any other team.

Ticket prices / sales & TV contract for each game already established; money to schools & their conference predetermined.
The only way for a school to get more money is to win & advance to the finals.

Total revenue stream MAY have some variability, but the teams will not benefit from it.

Bama has cheated for generations but I don't see their name/brand being any more national than Ohio State & less recognizable / marketable than Notre Dame.

Tebow,

You have made this statement several times. In the context of the CFP I fail to understand how Bama being in the field has any effect on the "money."

CFP is national & bigger than any one team - Bama included.

Revenue stream, as I understand it, is already generated & independent of any one team; Bama's name / franchise no more important than any other team.

Ticket prices / sales & TV contract for each game already established; money to schools & their conference predetermined.
The only way for a school to get more money is to win & advance to the finals.

Total revenue stream MAY have some variability, but the teams will not benefit from it.

I wonder what the TV ratings for 2019 were without Bama in the playoff. May look and see what the deal was with that.

It's a damn joke that Michigan is playing a team that is 8-4 in the Big 10 Championship game

I wonder what the TV ratings for 2019 were without Bama in the playoff. May look and see what the deal was with that.
Fever,

Your missing the point !

Did they rewrite the multiyear contract because of variability in viewership for one year ?

Do you have figures that prove that viewership actually declined & that it is attributable solely to Bama not being in the CFP or are you just blowing smoke ?

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
Tebow,

IMO, you tossed out a bull sh*t answer that you can't verify & expected everyone to accept.

Post your proof - an industry source - when you get it.

Let me Help You with the Research -

Feel free to contest this !

National championship TV ratings revealed to be second-lowest since start of Playoff​

Georgia’s win over Alabama in Monday’s national championship saw a large television audience, but another dip in the ratings historically since the College Football Playoff began in 2015.

Austin Karp of Sports Business Journal reported that the game on 3 of the ESPN networks averaged 22.6 million viewers, which is up from last year’s record-low of 18.7 million for Alabama’s win over Ohio State.

However, the more alarming issue is that, outside of last season, it was the least-watched title game since Southern Cal-Oklahoma in 2005.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/g...d-to-be-second-lowest-since-start-of-playoff/

Last edited:
Tebow,

IMO, you tossed out a bull sh*t answer that you can't verify & expected everyone to accept.

Post your proof - an industry source - when you get it.
My goodness please quit asking me questions over and over, I just threw that number out there. Can't believe any of you would actually believe 30 damn percent.

Last edited:
It's about the 4 best teams and TCU isnt one of them. GO ahead and put Kermit the Frog in the final 4 and watch him get croaked out on December 31st.

The country (outside the s.e. US ) is suffering from acute SEC fatigue.
Nick,

Afraid you are right !

Until I researched it, I would not have guessed that to be true.

But Alabama has been involved in CFP games with the lowest viewership since the CFP started.

Guess fans outside the SEC are tired of Saban's cheating.

As SOS said -
“In 12 years at Florida, I don’t think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama. Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more ... ! LOL

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Wonder if selection committee will take note of that for this year and get their head out of their A$$?
Tebow,

Article is One man's opinion AKA Click Bait.

By tomorrow we will have a dozen different opinions. - no matter who they pick, Selection Committee will feel compelled to defend their choices.

Comes down to subjective vs objective; I trust objective criteria more than I do subjective ones - you may not & that is your right.

Easier to defend objective choices that are evenly applied to all teams. May or may not be the correct choices - no way to tell.

After "Mo Money; Mo Money" - probably the major reason to expand CFP - give more teams a chance to play in CFP & theoretically produce a "truer" National Champion.

IMO, Bama this year not a great team & trying to justify 2 SEC teams this year will be difficult.

As Nick pointed out, Country as a whole has SEC fatigue so I doubt Bama gets in.

Last edited:
Reactions: TEBOW TIME
Tebow,

Article is One man's opinion AKA Click Bait.

By tomorrow we will have a dozen different opinions. - no matter who they pick, Selection Committee will feel compelled to defend their choices.

Comes down to subjective vs objective; I trust objective criteria more than I do subjective ones - you may not & that is your right.

Easier to defend objective choices that are evenly applied to all teams. May or may not be the correct choices - no way to tell.

After "Mo Money; Mo Money" - probably the major reason to expand CFP - give more teams a chance to play in CFP & theoretically produce a "truer" National Champion.

IMO, Bama this year not a great team & trying to justify 2 SEC teams this year will be difficult.

As Nick pointed out, Country as a whole has SEC fatigue so I doubt Bama gets in.
Oh I agree that Bama probably won't get in cause of the 2 losses but if you put OSU at 3 then they will play Michigan AGAIN and who wants to see that? If TCU is 4 then Kermit the Frog gets blowed off the field by mighty Georgia. The committee needs to think long and hard about which games they want for December 31st and the match-ups.

Fever,

Right on schedule - a dissenting opinion on Bama making the CFP.

There will be many more; IMO, presentation will depend on what region of the country you live in.

Selection committee's ranking will be out by midafternoon & their decision is final ! LOL

I'll wait for it.

Oh I agree that Bama probably won't get in cause of the 2 losses but if you put OSU at 3 then they will play Michigan AGAIN and who wants to see that? --- The committee needs to think long and hard about which games they want for December 31st and the match-ups.
Tebow,

Agree - Nobody wants a rematch !

Decline in viewership shows they didn't want a UGA/Bama rematch last year & doubt they want a Mich/tOSU rematch this year.

Thought Selection Committee's job was to pick 4 best teams - not to worry about the matchups.

Yep. There's a difference between the 4 best teams and the 4 most deserving, IMO. However, I do think the committee this year will put in TCU over Bama.
If It is HONESTLY the 4 BEST teams then TCU doesnt belong. But if the COMMITTEE HONESTLY believes that TCU can WIN it all then put them in and see what happens. What happened to Cinci last year?

Yep. There's a difference between the 4 best teams and the 4 most deserving, IMO. However, I do think the committee this year will put in TCU over Bama.
Just watched an interview with Nick Saban a while ago on ESPN that was live and he said the committee needs to put 4 teams in the final 4 that the Committee believes can win the National Championship. Who thinks TCU can beat all of the other 3? I know they only have to win 2 games to win it all but that wont happen?

Reactions: PacoGator19
I don’t disagree that maybe TCU is more deserving. They only have 1 loss that was a loss that happened in OT. I do think Bama is a better team.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Just watched an interview with Nick Saban a while ago on ESPN that was live and he said the committee needs to put 4 teams in the final 4 that the Committee believes can win the National Championship. Who thinks TCU can beat all of the other 3? I know they only have to win 2 games to win it all but that wont happen?
Tebow,

Honestly !

What did you expect Saban to say ?

He's politicking for his team because he knows it isn't good enough to EARN a CFP invite.

Saban desperately wants one last chance in the Big Dance before he has to go home & retire.

Luckily, the Selection Committee shuts off all media input while they build the Final Four of CFB.

Tebow - here on a Gator Board - you have become a Dyed-in-the Wool Alabama apologist - WHY ?

Ever since LSU put Bama on the Bench with a gutsy call in OT, you have been whining for Bama.

You pointed out the drop in viewership numbers - which is evidently true; just not for the reason you put forth - Bama's absence.

Bama has actually played in two of the lowest rated CFP Finals.

You also put forth something I believe to be true - no one wants a rematch.

Yes, they want the four "Best" teams; but they also want to see how different teams, with different styles, from different parts of the country matchup against each other.

Granted, UGA & Bama did not play this year - Bama not good enough to win the SEC West & make it to the SECCG.

So a UGA-Bama game would not be an actual rematch, just another SEC matchup in the CFP - which, on a national scope, many would find boring & of limited appeal.

Nick the Slick hit it dead-on - rest of the country has SEC fatigue.

Stop blowing smoke on this board.

Give your undying tribute to Saban & Bama a rest.

Neither you; nor Fever, NO ONE picked Utah to Beat the Brakes Off USCw - 23 pts.

Games are won/lost on the field - not in someone's head.

Let's put some new blood in the CFP & see what happens.

Well the committee avoided another Michigan vs OSU rematch But Kermit the Frog gonna get his head bit off by the Wolverine. He better have Miss Piggy close by to console him for being one and DONE. But Congrats on getting in for one game.

Last edited:
Well the committee avoided another Michigan vs OSU rematch But Kermit the Frog gonna get his head bit off by the Dawg. He better have Miss Piggy close by to console him for being one and DONE. But Congrats on getting in for one game.
TCU gets the Wolverine, not the Dawg.

Reactions: TEBOW TIME
I wonder if OSU shows up this time. They might be the only team to have enough weapons to beat GA but can they match GA at the line enough.

Reactions: ocalaman
I wonder if OSU shows up this time. They might be the only team to have enough weapons to beat GA but can they match GA at the line enough.

I think that will be a good game. The Michigan -OSU game was a lot closer than the final score made it look. With 8 minutes left it was an 11 point game, OSU ball 1st & 10 at Michigan's 25. Drive stalled, kickwd a FG to make it a one score game, then Mich broke off a 75 yard TD run to extend the lead. Then OSU drove it down into scoring position again with 5 minutes left, threw a pick, and Mich broke off a 90 yard td run.

Turnovers, stalled drives, and a couple of long TD runs turned it into a blowout late.

Reactions: Gator Fever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT