ADVERTISEMENT

This loss all on White

Left Osifo the game too long, slowed the game down, 1-3-1 zone, the list goes on. We all have known he's not a good coach, but this just summed it up.

Reactions: gatordad3
What a frickin joke. He needs to be canned next season if he keeps it up in the regular season again. Never seen so many games where we do stupid crap late to let teams come back and beat us.

What a frickin joke. He needs to be canned next season if he keeps it up in the regular season again. Never seen so many games where we do stupid crap late to let teams come back and beat us.

Mira literally his entire career here.

but no, it's not his fault.

can't be.

meh should be fired tomorrow.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I'm sure in the press conference he'll do his usual thing of blaming the players. We had numerous chances to blow the game open and turnovers and stupid shots, plus White's decision to slow the game down the last 10 minutes of the game, got them back in the game. Their guys made the plays down the stretch and ours didn't. Capt. Obvious and Major Inconsistency (Mike White) strike again.

Well if we fire White. We should fire everybody in the Athletic department.

right insta? That's your thing.
It sucks we're stuck with White for next season as we're screwed by having 3rd and Grantham. I'm not confident that Scott Stricklin will even have the nads to fire White if this team struggles again next season.

The talent level was over powering, I watched the whole game, seems like we are trending in the wrong direction, MW has done a pretty good job, no way we should have loss this one but everyone thought we were 1 in gone, I saw the presser too.

The talent level was over powering, I watched the whole game, seems like we are trending in the wrong direction, MW has done a pretty good job, no way we should have loss this one but everyone thought we were 1 in gone, I saw the presser too.
The post game PC was horrendous. Especially his answer to why we slowed it down. He’s incompetent

Both ORU & UF had overtime wins on Friday. Oral Roberts had a shorter bench than we did for those games and yet White felt like we were tired and needed to slow it down, while ORU kept up the pace on offense, as well as defensive pressure. Both teams used 8 players Sunday night, with their 2 main guys playing every minute. And one of their guys played less than a minute. They didn't seem fatigued at the end, but we did!? Here's part of an article from Bob Redman, with quotes from Major Inconsistency:

The Gators did use a shorter bench than usual as only eight played and Scottie Lewis was certainly going to be used as a defender on the elite shooters and he wouldn’t play much because of foul trouble. It led to White seeing his team tired and just slowing down on offense. As it turns out The Golden Eagles played just eight players and their two high scorers Max Abmas (26 points) and Kevin Obanor (28 points) both played every minute of the game.

Most of those outlier things were relatively close, but Oral Roberts kept coming.

“You know, the slowing it down… as I go back, and if I had more time to digest it and really study the film, I might think otherwise. But in the moment right now, we were tired,” White said after the game. “I mean, these guys get you in rotations. You have to cover so much of the floor defensively. We were mixing in 13, which is our 1-3-1 call, and with that, you know, you've got to be super energetic and play with a ton of energy for that to be effective. And I thought that part of slowing it down would help us settle in with some of the erratic decisions that we were making offensively.”

His team has been a much better team this year when they play in transition or move to score quickly on the offensive end, but the decision was still made to slow it down and be more definitive and it seemed to be costly with turnovers like it has for a lot of the season.

“We made some passes that, boy, I wish we had back, but some of the turnovers -- part of the slowing it down is so we would make better decisions,” he said. “And I thought we would need to exert so much energy down the stretch in the half-court again as they space you with five shooters to get some stops.”

Another thing to consider. Tre Mann lit it up the first part of the 2nd half, but after a timeout, with us up by 10 or 11, their defense put more focus on Mann and he wasn't a factor down the stretch. That's coaching on their part. What coaching adjustments did Mike White make to slow down Abmas and Obanor? None that I could see. I read on another board that White is under consideration for the Indiana job and that he may be approachable about the opportunity.

Here's a great analysis from GatorsWire:

Last edited:
Did not see the presser Paco. Why did he say we slowed it down?
He said he was worried about our fatigue. Yet Oral Roberts only played 7 guys in the game and they played a ton of minutes against Illinois a few days earlier. They couldn’t guard us or stop us so he actually slowed it down to help them with fatigue. I couldn’t believe his answer. He’s just making excuses at this point. He’s incompetent

Found White's contract situation. He was extended last season. He makes a little over 3 million a year and is under contract until the 24/25 season now. His buyout is pretty low if he decided to leave himself.

It looks like UF would owe him 1.75 million for any season left on the contract minus whatever he made coaching elsewhere that season. Prior to that extension UF was only on the hook for 1 million a season minus his coaching income elsewhere. Don't see why they didn't keep the extension to just a year or two since he wasn't in a good position at that point last season.

• Sad
Found White's contract situation. He was extended last season. He makes a little over 3 million a year and is under contract until the 24/25 season now. His buyout is pretty low if he decided to leave himself.

It looks like UF would owe him 1.75 million for any season left on the contract minus whatever he made coaching elsewhere that season. Prior to that extension UF was only on the hook for 1 million a season minus his coaching income elsewhere. Don't see why they didn't keep the extension to just a year or two since he wasn't in a good position at that point last season.
Well ain't that a b!tCh! Getting paid over $3 mil to lose well over 10 games per season?
Not that I see this happening, but word on the other Gator board is Mike White is on the Hoosiers wish list.

Well ain't that a b!tCh! Getting paid over $3 mil to lose well over 10 games per season?
Not that I see this happening, but word on the other Gator board is Mike White is on the Hoosiers wish list.

Please be true. The only issue is if the big boosters actually have paid attention to White they would know the deal on him. Too bad it isn't a school where the boosters aren't as likely to know the deal with White.

Please be true. The only issue is if the big boosters actually have paid attention to White they would know the deal on him. Too bad it isn't a school where the boosters aren't as likely to know the deal with White.
It's just too bad that not even Mike White would be dumb enough to know that IU has become nothing but a graveyard for head coaches.

Reactions: PacoGator19
It's just too bad that not even Mike White would be dumb enough to know that IU has become nothing but a graveyard for head coaches.

lol I highly doubt it happens but I wonder what White would do if they made him a nice offer. If it was Ole Miss he might leave but that coach will be there at least 2 more years probably.

This rumor reminds me of the Grantham to NFL one they used to give him a raise but I don't think any NFL team was truly considering him as a finalist for that job. It would be nice with Indiana being desperate that they decided to offer him and he accepted.

Praying_Hands_at_dusk_on_the_campus_of_Oral_Roberts_University.jpg

Reminded me of the Choke in Doak and the Fade in Dade.

What the hell were we doing from the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half...up 11 points?

JUST BRUTAL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT