ADVERTISEMENT

The trumpanzees here say Slavery is completely abolished but 5 states have abolishing slavery on the upcoming docket for November

RayGravesGhost

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2021
Somebody better tell these 5 states that the ballot measure isn't necessary because slavery doesn't exist in America

Even though 3 states fixed the problem already recently and Nevada will be doing the same

Looks like Alabama is on the list even though the mall cop swears it doesn't exist

https://news.ballotpedia.org/2022/0...ude-as-criminal-punishments-or-debt-payments/
Voters in five states will decide in November on removing constitutional language permitting enslavement or servitude as criminal punishments or debt payments
By Jackie Mitchell In Ballot measures June 27, 2022 at 4:07 PM

In 2022, voters in five states — Alabama, Louisiana, Oregon, Tennessee, and Vermont — will decide on ballot measures to repeal language from their state constitutions that allows slavery or involuntary servitude for the punishment of a crime, or, in Vermont, for the payment of debts, damages, or fines.

As of 2022, 10 states had constitutions that included provisions prohibiting enslavement and involuntary servitude but with an exception for criminal punishments. Nine states had constitutions that included provisions permitting involuntary servitude, but not slavery, as a criminal punishment. One state—Vermont—had a constitutional provision permitting involuntary servitude to pay a debt, damage, fine, or cost. These constitutional provisions were added to state constitutions, in their original forms, from the 1850s to the 1890s.

Measures on the ballot in November:

• Tennessee Remove Slavery as Punishment for Crime from Constitution Amendment (2022): Removes language that allows the use of slavery and involuntary servitude as criminal punishments and replaces it with the statement, “Slavery and involuntary servitude are forever prohibited.”
  • Oregon Remove Slavery as Punishment for Crime from Constitution Amendment (2022): Repeals language from the state constitution that allows the use of slavery and involuntary servitude as criminal punishments and adds language that authorizes an Oregon court or a probation or parole agency to order alternatives to incarceration for a convicted individual as part of their sentencing.
  • Vermont Proposal 2, Prohibit Slavery and Indentured Servitude Amendment (2022): Repeals language stating that persons could be held as servants, slaves, or apprentices with the person’s consent or “for the payments of debts, damages, fines, costs, or the like” and add “slavery and indentured servitude in any form are prohibited.”
  • Alabama Recompiled Constitution Ratification Question (2022): Ratifies an updated and recompiled state constitution that was drafted to, among other changes, remove racist language. In 2020, voters authorized the Legislature to repeal racist language from the Alabama Constitution. The Committee on the Recompilation of the Constitution considered the servitude language to be racist, as well as having no practical impact on the state’s current practices. The section stating “That no form of slavery shall exist in this state; and there shall not be any involuntary servitude, otherwise than for the punishment of crime, of which the party shall have been duly convicted,” was removed in the updated constitution.
  • Louisiana Remove Involuntary Servitude as Punishment for a Crime from Constitution Amendment (2022): Removes language in the state constitution that allows involuntary servitude as punishment for a crime. The constitution would be amended to say, “Slavery and involuntary servitude are prohibited.” The amendment would add language stating that the section of the constitution “does not apply to the otherwise lawful administration of criminal justice.”
Previously decided ballot measures:

Before 2022, voters approved measures to repeal such language from their constitutions in three states — Colorado (2018), approved with 66% voting in favor; Nebraska (2020), approved with 68% voting in favor; and Utah (2020), approved with 80% voting in favor.

Future ballot measures:
Voters in Nevada could decide in 2024 to repeal language in the state constitution that allows the use of slavery and involuntary servitude as criminal punishments. In Nevada, a majority vote is required in two successive sessions of the Nevada State Legislature to place an amendment on the ballot. The amendment was introduced in the Nevada House of Representatives as Assembly Joint Resolution 10 (AJR 10). On April 13, 2021, it was approved by the House in a vote of 42-0. On May 17, 2021, it was approved in the Senate by a vote of 21-0. The amendment must also pass in the 2023 legislative session.

Not a problem Jason...you have the same 1 post restriction for the conservatives here?

Not a problem Jason...you have the same 1 post restriction for the conservatives here?
I did not say anything about a 1 post restriction did I? I welcome you to post as many times as you would like. I only mean if you have numerous topics in the same day you would like to start make them in the same OP so it is easier for myself to moderate in case things get out of hand.

OK, no one is trying to bomb the board....

How many new topics are acceptable to exist individually before they have to be merged?

2 per day...3 per day? What's the number?

@ Little Dickey
dc6cb38c593fd449845874e4b51f8a23.gif

Last edited:
So the slavery exception exists and is used in current day America....
Multiple states use it to support their prison work operations

So I don't know if you can't take a bath in the winter or single females parachuting on Sunday....but hundreds of thousands of inmates are in forced servitude that hasn't been prohibited by the 13th amendment,,,

The exception clause exists and states are individually closing that exception that allows forced servitude

I did not say anything about a 1 post restriction did I? I welcome you to post as many times as you would like. I only mean if you have numerous topics in the same day you would like to start make them in the same OP so it is easier for myself to moderate in case things get out of hand.
If you look down the list of threads OTB, the ones from conservatives far outweigh the liberals. Just saying.

personally, I rarely start a thread so I make sure they count.

If you look down the list of threads OTB, the ones from conservatives far outweigh the liberals. Just saying.

personally, I rarely start a thread so I make sure they count.
Yes, that is true, but not the point. The point is to spur discussion. All opinions are welcome as long as the rules are not broken.

As I said to another poster earlier :

If you spam the board with 8-10 new topics in a short period of time, that get very few responses, they get the same treatment as all of the Covid / Vax threads - merged into 1 mega thread.

Yes, that is true, but not the point. The point is to spur discussion. All opinions are welcome as long as the rules are not broken.

If you spam the board with 8-10 new topics in a short period of time, that get very few responses, they get the same treatment as all of the Covid / Vax threads - merged into 1 mega thread.
Agreed, but that was the same topic.

Why don't you just merge all of the Biden threads in my GOAT. That would make everyone happy 😊

BTW. Have you heard about the fish I caught?

Hey Ray, appreciate your opinion on all these topics. I would ask you make one post vs so many new topics in the same day. Much easier to moderate and keep up with if they are all in the same thread. Thank you sir.
@JasonHigdon - thank you.

@RayGravesGhost - if I can offer some constructive advice, just link the article you’re wanting to post from, and if the reader wants to read it, they can. Nothing wrong with making a key point to go with the link, but posting the entire lengthy article is a huge turn-off and I’ve already decided to scroll past these articles without reading them.

This is sound advice that all posters on this board should follow.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
ukalum obviously believes that the trumpanzee set here is well read
They aren't.

We even have bama who is supposedly a cop...and he doesn't know that his home state is one of the 5 states with the abolishment of the slavery exception on the ballot this year

Well informed law enforcement officer right there... 🤣

You want less 3rd party information? I want less unfounded opinion

Right now bama still believes that Big Pharma funds the R&D in new drug development
It does not

people like bama, capt ron, malone, & navi pretty much post nothing but biased opinion with no empirical proof of what they believe

That makes for quick responses but very little factual information

And your solution is that everyone should post that way?
A debate of unverifiable opinions?

I post my opinion & 3rd party information/data that confirms my opinion

You don't have to argue with me....argue with the data

And that usually means conservative here will quickly blame the media source, the media in general, or choose to ignore the information completely and stick to their unverified beliefs

They aren't.

We even have bama who is supposedly a cop...and he doesn't know that his home state is one of the 5 states with the abolishment of the slavery exception on the ballot this year

Right now bama still believes that Big Pharma funds the R&D in new drug development
It does not

people like bama, capt ron, malone, & navi pretty much post nothing but biased opinion with no empirical proof of what they believe

And that usually means conservative here will quickly blame the media source, the media in general, or choose to ignore the information completely and stick to their unverified beliefs
Unless it's their own biased media. They really do want an echo chamber.

Reactions: RayGravesGhost
They aren't.

It does not

Your OP on this thread is baiting, pure and simple. Throwing out 3rd-grade putdowns like “trumpanzee” shows how unserious you are, your protestations to the contrary notwithstanding.

Your OP on this thread is baiting, pure and simple. Throwing out 3rd-grade putdowns like “trumpanzee” shows how unserious you are, your protestations to the contrary notwithstanding.

So there aren't 5 states that have the abolishment of the slavery exception clause on the ballot?

You provided a link…. I’m not disputing what 5 states are voting on. I stand behind what I said a few posts above. Again, you’re obfuscating as you are prone to do.

I'm obfuscating? How?

Many here claimed slavery in any form wasn't still legal

Are those 5 states crazy and don't know their own state laws?

Agreed, but that was the same topic.

Why don't you just merge all of the Biden threads in my GOAT. That would make everyone happy 😊

BTW. Have you heard about the fish I caught?
Threads that are themselves generating discussion will be largely maintained.

Dumps of multiple new threads from the same few people can push good discussions off the 1st page and are discouraged.

Much like in The Swamp forum, duplicate thread topics will be merged (usually) or deleted.

hope this helps

and have no heard any fish stories of late ...

I'm obfuscating? How?

Many here claimed slavery in any form wasn't still legal

Are those 5 states crazy and don't know their own state laws?
Most people don’t consider private ownership of other people (slavery) to be morally equivalent to the state compelling forced labor as punishment for criminal behavior.

I’m not saying the latter action is in any way laudable, but it’s not in the same league as the institutionalized form of slavery that existed prior to the Civil War.

I consider this topic closed as far as I’m concerned.

😂

What made you think that I didn't know that? Did I post otherwise somewhere?

We actually have had this discussion on this board before. So yep, I knew....and you failed, proving that you aren't well read.

Well informed law enforcement officer right there...

Apparently I am. 😂

BTW, you do realize that, even if I hadn't known, which I clearly did, that law enforcement officers are not state legislators...like we have totally different responsibilities. Now once they codify law, that I really need to know. 😂

Right now bama still believes that Big Pharma funds the R&D in new drug

The money that makes it all possible still comes from Pharma. People aren't creating new medicines through charity alone. They expect to get paid...and if they make a good drug, they do get paid. By Pharma ftr.

I wish I could help you. Sadly you won't accept the help I offer.

Looks like Alabama is on the list even though the mall cop swears it doesn't

You should defs make a trip to Alabama and attempt to purchase a slave. Let me know how that goes for you.

OTOH, forced labor by convicted felons...that's legal according to the constitution.

FTR I don't believe that it still occurs in Alabama. "Trustee" status in Alabama prisons and jails is a highly sought after status. Almost all of them apply for it, so that they can work, but very few are actually given the privilege.

Gun to my head, maybe 10% are given the privilege.

The news for the trump supporters here is that constitutions still have an exception clause for slavery
I believe in giving people credit where credit is due, and I'm sure it caused you massive discomfort to write "trump supporter. "

So Kudos to you, sir.

That said, I am pretty sure confining someone and making them work is not involuntary servitude or slavery, it's punishment for a crime that they have been found guilty of and adjusted thusly. When I was in the service, if I became a prisoner of war, the only work I can lawfully refuse is work that aids the enemy's war effort.

I can't imagine, for instance, you'd have an issue with inmates maintaining their own quarters.

Or perhaps you would.

Last edited:
I believe in giving people credit where credit is due, and I'm sure it caused you massive discomfort to write "trump supporter. "

So Kudos to you, sir.

Nice catch and well done.

That said, I am pretty sure confining someone and making them work is not involuntary servitude or slavery, it's punishment for a crime that they have been found guilty of and adjusted thusly. When I was in the service, if I became a prisoner of war, the only work I can lawfully refuse is work that aids the enemy's war effort.

I can't imagine, for instance, you'd have an issue with inmates

I know very little about the Alabama prison system (ADOC) but in the county jails the work they are "forced to do" (that is completely voluntary on their part and maybe 1 out of 10 volunteers are selected) is all about what you referred to.

They work in the kitchen to prepare meals for the rest of the inmates, they work in the jail laundry, a few work at a local animal shelter and this job is highly sought after because it can lead to permanent employment after release. We also have a grounds crew that mows grass and the like around the county complex and a wash rack crew that washes county vehicles. We also have 1 or 2 that assists the county maintenance workers do work on all of the county buildings.

Probably the least popular job is roadside trash pickup but they volunteer like hell for it because if they do a good job they will move to a more desirable spot quickly.

Almost every inmate covets these jobs and if I'm taking someone to jail they almost always ask me to put in a good word for them to become an inmate worker (trustee).

This doesn't sound like slavery to me. But maybe @RayGravesGhost knows better.

Most people don’t consider private ownership of other people (slavery) to be morally equivalent to the state compelling forced labor as punishment for criminal behavior.

So why is the exception that allows forced labor for criminal behavior in all of the abolishment of slavery amendments?

I’m not saying the latter action is in any way laudable, but it’s not in the same league as the institutionalized form of slavery that existed prior to the Civil War.

Its part of the 13th amendment language that abolished institutionalized slavery that existed prior to the Civil War.

I consider this topic closed as far as I’m concerned.

Because you don't have a clue about what's being discussed

But I hope you learned something along the way

So why is the exception that allows forced labor for criminal behavior in all of the abolishment of slavery amendments?

Its part of the 13th amendment language that abolished institutionalized slavery that existed prior to the Civil War.

Because you don't have a clue about what's being discussed

But I hope you learned something along the way

@ghost_of_ukalum1988 takes dumps that are smarter than you.

He treated you with respect, he simply disagreed with you. That doesn’t compute for you. I guess that's why I'm here.

You know less than nothing. You've read something in a book or in an article and you think that makes you an expert. You have zero practical knowledge. I'd recommend that you get some...but you don't take recommendations, even from people smarter and more experienced than yourself.

You won't believe this but I actually pity you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT