ADVERTISEMENT

The Pussification Of College Football....

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
...by way of all the ridiculous rules and administration of them against defensive players (i.e. targeting and pass interference) has resulted in no defense being played by anyone this year....

if Ohio State and/or some Big 10 team comes in and actually starts playing defense, they will rule the world....

unfortunately, and it makes sadgator sick to say it, the one team poised to actually play any semblance of defense in our league is UGA. We’ll see how they do next week...

On the other hand...games were tremendously entertaining yesterday...especially that OU-Texas game...

...by way of all the ridiculous rules and administration of them against defensive players (i.e. targeting and pass interference) has resulted in no defense being played by anyone this year....

if Ohio State and/or some Big 10 team comes in and actually starts playing defense, they will rule the world....

unfortunately, and it makes sadgator sick to say it, the one team poised to actually play any semblance of defense in our league is UGA. We’ll see how they do next week...

On the other hand...games were tremendously entertaining yesterday...especially that OU-Texas game...
You might be right, I don't know what it is. Probably a variety of things but the pussy rules may be a factor.

I brought up the names Todd Johnson and Marquand Manuel in another thread. Remember those two? This day in age they would be suspended every other game. Especially Todd Johnson. He put his helmet to busting a WR coming over the middle or a smaller sizes RB who got past the LBers.

That play Lawrence Wright put on the UT WR these days would be a first down for Tennessee and Wright in the locker room. Also remember when Andra Davis(I believe) knocked out Tee Martin's tooth by knocking his ass into the camera man? These days the offensive drive would still be alive.

However that is a small factor. I'll tell you what happened to defenses. You now have to account for 6 skilled players.

- Offenses usually use 3 WRs every single play, sometimes up to 4 to 5. In the past years it was one, a few times 2, 3 was a rarity. A team would be fine with a depth chart of 7 WR's on the roster, now you roll 5 out on the field.

- The FB is a rarity. The assignments of some LBers were to key in on the FB first. Instead of a borderline chubby dude with a little speed who had the assignment of carrying for 3 yards and a cloud of dust or be a blocker for the lead back they have eliminated that position and put a more skilled player on the field. No more neck role wearing MLB assingned to the 4.87 40 RB. He has to worry about another 4.5 40 guy.

- The evolution of the skilled TE. Tell me a TE remotely similar from the 90's remotely similar to the skill set of Kyle Pitts. Back then players with Pitts speed and size were OLBers. Now the game has evolved into taking advantage of their skills on moving the ball. Back then TE's were undersized OL with good hands and a tiny bit of speed. This not only makes the defense have to account for a player with this skill set this also takes away from the talent of what use to be a damn good OLB.

- The evolution of the Duel Threat QB. (I wish they would have had these offenses in my days) Now you don't have many slow footed statues taking snaps. Even Trevor Lawrence, Matt Corrall, Kyle Trask, and others can halfway run the ball. Did you ever worry about Jay Barker or Peyton Manning picking up a first down on 2nd and 4 with their feet? Now you have fast athletes you have to account for in the running game. Back in the days, these guys were CB's or FS's. Back then besides the Nebraska's of the world or the teams who ran some wishbone, flex one, option I, etc didn't have the pure athlete at QB. The Mike Vick's, Randall Cunningham's, Donovan McNabbs, were a delicicy...now they are 10 out of 12 teams per conference. Seriously think, Felipe Franks and Jeff Driskel would have either been TE's or on defense. Now one is in the NFL and the other is starting for his second SEC team.

In summary, you have to have an overload of skilled talent on the offensive side of the ball and it takes away from the defensive side of the ball. Many kids who would normally be DB's and LBers are now playing offense. If not for P5 schools they are using their talents at non P5 schools.

Look up the name Darrell Henderson, former All American, All AAC RB, plays for the Rams. I asked him if any SEC schools recruited him. He told me Saban and Bama talked to him heavily about being a DB. He said he hadn't played full-time at DB since like the 9th grade, that he knew he was a legit RB. So therefore he took his RB talents to another team and got himself into the NFL by doing such. Back in the early 00's and beyond he would have been a DB like Guss Scott or something. Players like Kardarious Toney would have put on defense, instead he is scoring TD's. If somebody like Lito Sheppard came up these days, he'd be on offense.

So in simple terms, offenses traded in the FB and old prototype TE and QB and now need 4.5 guys at 5 different positions. Tell me who benefitted, offense or defense?

Yes agreed. It is going back of the way where the best athletes are playing on offense, etc. You also have DT QBs and 4-5 good WRs and a good TE and other teams don’t have the athletes on defense to match up.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Yes agreed. It is going back of the way where the best athletes are playing on offense, etc. You also have DT QBs and 4-5 good WRs and a good TE and other teams don’t have the athletes on defense to match up.
The past decade it has been the upper teams in the SEC and Big 10 with good defenses....then Clemson after it shifted from FSU were the only teams to consistently put out good defenses. The Big 12 and Pac 12 struggled to do such. All of that prep talent in Texas and California but you don't see the Horns, Red Raiders, Baylor Bears, Bruins, Cal Bears, or even the Aggies tossing out good defenses.

Currently it has hit the upper tier of the SEC. I've never seen a Saban led Bama team give up yards like they have the past 3 games. As much as it hurts to say, UGA is the only strong defense in the league, and I think they will eventually struggle.

It seriously feels(without looking up stats) that the 2nd best defensive team in the SEC is SCar. WTH?

Reactions: PacoGator19
I don’t think anyone expected UF’s defense to be this bad. I knew Georgia was predicted to have a decent defense, but there’s no way you could have convinced me that our D would be epically awful this year. We could legitimately have the worst defense in the east division at end of year.

• Haha
Reactions: CatClause
The past decade it has been the upper teams in the SEC and Big 10 with good defenses....then Clemson after it shifted from FSU were the only teams to consistently put out good defenses. The Big 12 and Pac 12 struggled to do such. All of that prep talent in Texas and California but you don't see the Horns, Red Raiders, Baylor Bears, Bruins, Cal Bears, or even the Aggies tossing out good defenses.

Currently it has hit the upper tier of the SEC. I've never seen a Saban led Bama team give up yards like they have the past 3 games. As much as it hurts to say, UGA is the only strong defense in the league, and I think they will eventually struggle.

It seriously feels(without looking up stats) that the 2nd best defensive team in the SEC is SCar. WTH?

To be fair, whats happening to saban is the forward pass. The SEC for a good part of sabans run struggled with the forward pass and was more of a dominant running league. Since it was a dominant running league, saban got the biggest and best front 7 he could find. This shutdown everybody. However, anytime he went against a good QB or most times they lit his secondary up. Now the SEC has some better QBs and better offensive coaches. Its happening to the ACC as well, King, Howell, Book, etc will run through the ACC or any other league because they are good QBs. I also agree with your other points that the better players have been moving to offense. My personal opinion is they should allow 12 players on defense.

I don’t think anyone expected UF’s defense to be this bad. I knew Georgia was predicted to have a decent defense, but there’s no way you could have convinced me that our D would be epically awful this year. We could legitimately have the worst defense in the east division at end of year.
It's possible we could be towards the bottom of the east in defense but on the west side of things those guys are playing Big 12 type of defense. LSU makes me laugh. However without looking at stats SCar and Kentucky seem better than UF defensively. Probably UT but it's too early to tell. Ole Miss lit Bama up better than they did us.

It's a business. The smart business people will sell whatever people are buying.
You got what you wanted, even if you didn't realize that you wanted it.

If you really don't like it, then stop paying to watch it,
otherwise, you're just peeing into the wind.

To be fair, whats happening to saban is the forward pass. The SEC for a good part of sabans run struggled with the forward pass and was more of a dominant running league. Since it was a dominant running league, saban got the biggest and best front 7 he could find. This shutdown everybody. However, anytime he went against a good QB or most times they lit his secondary up. Now the SEC has some better QBs and better offensive coaches. Its happening to the ACC as well, King, Howell, Book, etc will run through the ACC or any other league because they are good QBs. I also agree with your other points that the better players have been moving to offense. My personal opinion is they should allow 12 players on defense.
You could be right. Bama always shut down LSU when they had a powerful run team. Such as Leonard Fournette and such. When LSU ever had a QB with a brain and pulse they gave Bama fits. Johnny Football and the A&M air show back that one year. Ole Miss with Chad Kelly and that good group of WRs. Auburn when they had Cam or other good QBs that had decent targets. Hell we had them on the ropes that one year until Brantley got hurt. They got us in 09 but that was one of Meyers/Tebow lower rating passing years. They handled Texas after Colt McCoy got injured.

He has had a few shut down DBs in years past but it's not always consistent.

But yes the skilled players are playing offense these days. Had Patrick Mahomes been a player back in the 90's Spurrier would have had him at DB. Lito Sheppard would be a WR these days. Reche Caldwell would have been a QB in the ACC or AAC or even Big 12.

You might be right, I don't know what it is. Probably a variety of things but the pussy rules may be a factor.

I brought up the names Todd Johnson and Marquand Manuel in another thread. Remember those two? This day in age they would be suspended every other game. Especially Todd Johnson. He put his helmet to busting a WR coming over the middle or a smaller sizes RB who got past the LBers.

That play Lawrence Wright put on the UT WR these days would be a first down for Tennessee and Wright in the locker room. Also remember when Andra Davis(I believe) knocked out Tee Martin's tooth by knocking his ass into the camera man? These days the offensive drive would still be alive.

However that is a small factor. I'll tell you what happened to defenses. You now have to account for 6 skilled players.

- Offenses usually use 3 WRs every single play, sometimes up to 4 to 5. In the past years it was one, a few times 2, 3 was a rarity. A team would be fine with a depth chart of 7 WR's on the roster, now you roll 5 out on the field.

- The FB is a rarity. The assignments of some LBers were to key in on the FB first. Instead of a borderline chubby dude with a little speed who had the assignment of carrying for 3 yards and a cloud of dust or be a blocker for the lead back they have eliminated that position and put a more skilled player on the field. No more neck role wearing MLB assingned to the 4.87 40 RB. He has to worry about another 4.5 40 guy.

- The evolution of the skilled TE. Tell me a TE remotely similar from the 90's remotely similar to the skill set of Kyle Pitts. Back then players with Pitts speed and size were OLBers. Now the game has evolved into taking advantage of their skills on moving the ball. Back then TE's were undersized OL with good hands and a tiny bit of speed. This not only makes the defense have to account for a player with this skill set this also takes away from the talent of what use to be a damn good OLB.

- The evolution of the Duel Threat QB. (I wish they would have had these offenses in my days) Now you don't have many slow footed statues taking snaps. Even Trevor Lawrence, Matt Corrall, Kyle Trask, and others can halfway run the ball. Did you ever worry about Jay Barker or Peyton Manning picking up a first down on 2nd and 4 with their feet? Now you have fast athletes you have to account for in the running game. Back in the days, these guys were CB's or FS's. Back then besides the Nebraska's of the world or the teams who ran some wishbone, flex one, option I, etc didn't have the pure athlete at QB. The Mike Vick's, Randall Cunningham's, Donovan McNabbs, were a delicicy...now they are 10 out of 12 teams per conference. Seriously think, Felipe Franks and Jeff Driskel would have either been TE's or on defense. Now one is in the NFL and the other is starting for his second SEC team.

In summary, you have to have an overload of skilled talent on the offensive side of the ball and it takes away from the defensive side of the ball. Many kids who would normally be DB's and LBers are now playing offense. If not for P5 schools they are using their talents at non P5 schools.

Look up the name Darrell Henderson, former All American, All AAC RB, plays for the Rams. I asked him if any SEC schools recruited him. He told me Saban and Bama talked to him heavily about being a DB. He said he hadn't played full-time at DB since like the 9th grade, that he knew he was a legit RB. So therefore he took his RB talents to another team and got himself into the NFL by doing such. Back in the early 00's and beyond he would have been a DB like Guss Scott or something. Players like Kardarious Toney would have put on defense, instead he is scoring TD's. If somebody like Lito Sheppard came up these days, he'd be on offense.

So in simple terms, offenses traded in the FB and old prototype TE and QB and now need 4.5 guys at 5 different positions. Tell me who benefitted, offense or defense?
Man, you put a lot of thought into that response...well done...

You could be right. Bama always shut down LSU when they had a powerful run team. Such as Leonard Fournette and such. When LSU ever had a QB with a brain and pulse they gave Bama fits. Johnny Football and the A&M air show back that one year. Ole Miss with Chad Kelly and that good group of WRs. Auburn when they had Cam or other good QBs that had decent targets. Hell we had them on the ropes that one year until Brantley got hurt. They got us in 09 but that was one of Meyers/Tebow lower rating passing years. They handled Texas after Colt McCoy got injured.

But yes the skilled players are playing offense these days. Had Patrick Mahomes been a player back in the 90's Spurrier would have had him at DB. Lito Sheppard would be a WR these days. Reche Caldwell would have been a QB in the ACC or AAC or even Big 12.

Mobile QBs that can throw accurately on the run have always given Saban's defenses fits. To be fair, they give most defenses fits.

I agree with the changes being an issue, not necessarily effecting the bad defenses we see this year as the same rules were applicable last year. The two biggest factors I have witnessed have been extremely poor tackling, it is really bad and players playing grossly out of position.

UGA had a great defense last year, they have recruited well and it is no surprise they are good again this year, what is a surprise is how poorly, BAMA and US have been.

We don't know just yet that BIG 10 teams wont have the same issues as the lay off, covid, lack of fall practice etc has affected the outcomes of these poor displays of defense.

UGA had a great defense last year, they have recruited well and it is no surprise they are good again this year...

sadgator’s gonna pump the breaks for a day on calling UGA the kings of defense this year. If Bama torches them for 600 tomorrow, that narrative will die real quick...if not...then they might be...

sadgator’s gonna pump the breaks for a day on calling UGA the kings of defense this year. If Bama torches them for 600 tomorrow, that narrative will die real quick...if not...then they might be...
Pretty good point. UGA hasn’t exactly played any offensive juggernauts yet. Tennessee has been the best offense they’ve played but when was the last time anyone was scared of a UT offense. But fundamentally UGA has looked good and sound. This weekend should be interesting in your conference. Also interested to see if UNC can give Clemson hell again this year.

Reactions: sadgator
Well sad Gator, speaking to yourself in the third party. I don’t think their the king but they have a Solid D

Reactions: sadgator

That pissed me off when Brantley got hurt. Up 10-0 and should have been 14-0. It was over at that point. And we'd would have been better off if Charley Wise had a golf cart to roam the sidelines with. He would have been able to get the play calls in on time that way. :p

Reactions: TennesseeGator
That pissed me off when Brantley got hurt. Up 10-0 and should have been 14-0. It was over at that point. And we'd would have been better off if Charley Wise had a golf cart to roam the sidelines with. He would have been able to get the play calls in on time that way. :p

Golf cart's too big for the sidelines, he'd be running people over, and he was too fat for a Segway. He'd have fallen on his ass for sure.

Besides, he was the epitome of why coaches struggle in the SEC. Almost all college coaches succeed because they have the bigger stronger faster players. But in the lower leagues that talent gap can be huge. So these guys look like they are all world, then they come to the SEC, where the 14th best recruiting class in the nation is only the 8th best in the conference, and suddenly they have to coach against teams with squads almost as good if not better. That's when we REALLY see if they have what it takes.

Weis wasn't in the lower leagues, per se, but Notre Dame had a huge talent advantage in at least 9 out of 12 games a year; when he came to the SEC, we saw that his self-proclaimed "decided schematic advantage" was actually a "decided talent advantage". and when he didn't have that any more, he struggled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT