ADVERTISEMENT

The men of Georgia don’t have enough inches...

Enzyte.jpg

Reactions: GordonGecko
I want so bad to believe that. Yet here he was, in the NC title game in Year 2. And recruiting like a mofo on both sides of the ball.

Meh. Remember its not like he took over a bad situation, they fired Richt because they were tired of 10 win seasons. Think about that. He took over a 10-3 team made of up top 5 classes.

Their team had 31 seniors in the 2-deep. And I remember hearing during the broadcast their starters didn't miss a single game this year to injury. Throw in a loaded experienced team with UF and UT being dumpster fires and there you go. They went 1-2 against the best teams they played. He's recruiting well but Richt did too. Richt when 13-1 with a Sugar Bowl win in year two too. Would have been in the playoffs if they had one back then. Let's see what he does the next couple of years with his players.

Meh. Remember its not like he took over a bad situation, they fired Richt because they were tired of 10 win seasons. Think about that. He took over a 10-3 team made of up top 5 classes.

Their team had 31 seniors in the 2-deep. And I remember hearing during the broadcast their starters didn't miss a single game this year to injury. Throw in a loaded experienced team with UF and UT being dumpster fires and there you go. They went 1-2 against the best teams they played. He's recruiting well but Richt did too. Richt when 13-1 with a Sugar Bowl win in year two too. Would have been in the playoffs if they had one back then. Let's see what he does the next couple of years with his players.

Agreed.

He’s obviously going to have good defense but I’ve really seen nothing that tells
Me he’s offensively any different than Muschamp (other than he can get players).

If Muschamp would have been handed an Eason and had Chubb and Michel on the team when he got there, pretty sure he would have looked very similar.

He will have very little talent depletion. Yea, I get it that Chubb and Michele are elite athletes. But Smart's recruiting classes are elite too.

Recruiting has never really been UGA's problem though. When Richt got fired they were projected to have the #1 class with Eason and those guys. Honestly Smart kinda does strike me as another Muschamp. Go back and look at what our classes were ranked then, even offensively. We signed a lot of highly rated offensive players under Muschamp too but we had no direction on offense. I don't think UGA does either. They pushed out Eason for Fromm when Eason is a perfect fit for that offense. Now they signed a spread option QB in Fields to play in a prostyle scheme...why? He seems like he's just recruiting the most highly rated players he can recruit without taking into account system.

And I find it funny he's copying Bama's formula when not even Bama plays that way anymore. You aren't gonna line up in I-Formation and run over people on the way to a championship. As long as he keeps trying to do that they'll drop a few games a year unless he has overwhelming talent.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
To add to my point...UGA ran the ball 70% of the time this year. Just so happens they had two of the best backs in their programs history on the team at the same time with a loaded, experienced defense to win games. The QB just had to stay out of the way. Very similar to Muschamp's second year. Gonna be interested to see what happens when that QB is forced to do more and more the next few years. If that offense can't adapt they're gonna take a step back.

Fromm threw the ball about 23 times in the first half against Bama. That was close to a season high for a whole game. UGA lead 13-0.

26 times. But that's not the norm for then. NOBODY runs on Bama even them, so their only hope was to pass to try to open up the run. But over the course of the season they ran the ball 70% of the time. Well 68% to be exact.

I understand your point. But if you are using it to suggest that Fromm won't be a good to great college QB, then I think that is wrong. UGA ran the ball nearly 70% of the time because;

1. They could, with that line and with those RB
2. They needed to to protect a true freshman QB. Who BTW did pretty damn well when he was asked to trhow the ball. He had a top ten national QBR rating for the year

But when they had to rely on Fromm, they did and he was successful. He was asked to throw the ball in the Bama game because that was a formula to win. He threw the ball in nearly 50% of the plays in that game. And it worked in the sense that Bama, in trying to protect against the pass, gave up more long third down conversions via the run they they probably have all year.

I have no real feeling on Fromm either way, I just don't believe their philosophy is a formula for success. Yes in part I think they ran the offense to protect him but even against teams like Vandy he only threw 11 times. I think that's just how Kirby wants to run the offense. A year ago their running game was much less successful (50th in the country vs. 9th this year) and he still lined up in I-Formation and ran into a brick wall with one of the more physically gifted QB's in the country in Eason under center. And I don't believe they'll be able to replicate having a combo like Chubb and Michel on the same team again either, even with them recruiting like they have. Those guys were rare talents.

I have no real feeling on Fromm either way, I just don't believe their philosophy is a formula for success. Yes in part I think they ran the offense to protect him but even against teams like Vandy he only threw 11 times. I think that's just how Kirby wants to run the offense. A year ago their running game was much less successful (50th in the country vs. 9th this year) and he still lined up in I-Formation and ran into a brick wall with one of the more physically gifted QB's in the country in Eason under center. And I don't believe they'll be able to replicate having a combo like Chubb and Michel on the same team again either, even with them recruiting like they have. Those guys were rare talents.

Ironic that Fromm was committed to Alabama last year, went to UGA...and then Tua shows up.

Fromm flipped when smart went to uga
Fromm always wanted to be a dog

Uga wasn't recruiting him that hard when richt was there

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT