ADVERTISEMENT

The Ghost of Grier is set to materialize...

You know he's going to throw for a million yards and probably end up as a top 10 pick in a couple years and every time you see a highlight, they'll be saying "Florida transfer Will Grier." If I were Coach Mac, I'd figure out a way to move the ball, because these are going to be some tough optics. Thing with Grier is that it really didn't sound like a Cam Newton situation, where we had no choice but to cut ties.

You know he's going to throw for a million yards and probably end up as a top 10 pick in a couple years and every time you see a highlight, they'll be saying "Florida transfer Will Grier." If I were Coach Mac, I'd figure out a way to move the ball, because these are going to be some tough optics. Thing with Grier is that it really didn't sound like a Cam Newton situation, where we had no choice but to cut ties.
Grier's stupid decision to put something in his mouth without having it checked out by UF's medical staff ruined the Gators' season. Even though they went to Atlanta, the offense was totally crippled after Grier was suspended. But I would have preferred that they had worked out the suspension so he would still be at UF. I think he's a real talent and probably better than any QB on our roster at this point.

Reactions: sadgator
Grier's stupid decision to put something in his mouth without having it checked out by UF's medical staff ruined the Gators' season. Even though they went to Atlanta, the offense was totally crippled after Grier was suspended. But I would have preferred that they had worked out the suspension so he would still be at UF. I think he's a real talent and probably better than any QB on our roster at this point.

Agree that they should have tried to work it out. That's if there isn't a lot more to the story. Even if the rumors are true and he was a cokehead, and his dad was a pain in the ass, I wouldn't have run him off.

Agree that they should have tried to work it out. That's if there isn't a lot more to the story. Even if the rumors are true and he was a cokehead, and his dad was a pain in the ass, I wouldn't have run him off.
Yes there's that and the fact he wasn't very well liked by his teammates.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
cleared to play from Day 1 of 2017.

Man, if he starts lighting it up from the first game, it is gonna be tough.

http://m.gatorsports.com/Section/552/Article/170629995

He will get a lot of yards there probably 4,000 or so since the coach said he wont be allowed to run as much as last year's QB but that isn't crazy with what that coach runs. Maybe we can do an over/under bet of him getting more yards than Driskel did at La Tech. He needs to take them to a B12 championship to take them forward. They were an Oklahoma loss away from that last season.

I had a feeling that coach knew the fix was in with the NCAA with how confident he was saying he was pretty sure Grier would be cleared by opening day.

I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Im not buying his bs story. Kids are told time and time again what not to take and what to look for. Sucks what happened

He will get a lot of yards there probably 4,000 or so since the coach said he wont be allowed to run as much as last year's QB but that isn't crazy with what that coach runs. Maybe we can do an over/under bet of him getting more yards than Driskel did at La Tech. He needs to take them to a B12 championship to take them forward. They were an Oklahoma loss away from that last season.

I had a feeling that coach knew the fix was in with the NCAA with how confident he was saying he was pretty sure Grier would be cleared by opening day.

I always love when people think the "fix is in" lol

I don't know what they tell the kids now, but they didn't really tell us anything and expected us to know everything from reading a 7000 page pamphlet on day one they hand out...

I don't know what they tell the kids now, but they didn't really tell us anything and expected us to know everything from reading a 7000 page pamphlet on day one they hand out...

My brother played for usf and they had extensive training. They even had experts come in and show u how to read the back of enhancements to find illegal things. Gave them a printout of all the do's and donts at GNC. Being honest, a 5 yr old could not have messed that up. I do not believe it was an honest mistake unless he is either stupid or UF completely did not do their job in educating him which is highly unlikely considering no other Gator football players get caught. Keanu Neal told me he didnt think it was a mistake because they were educated on that stuff. So 2 of the people who i know who played college football and one at the same university knew exactly what they could and could not take.I jus dont believe it was a mistake and i think that is why he was let go. I hope im wrong cuz he seemed like a nice guy but i just dont think its plausible

U played at bama where deer antler spray was put in ur locker and in ur meals. Not surprised ;)

sadgator thinks the PED thing was an honest mistake, but there was clearly more to the story...there is no way you let a kid that good simply walk...there had to have been other issues.

Mac basically implied he was wanting guarantees in that article when he was asked about it. I think Mac must not have cared for the attitude of him and his his dad or something like that for him to imply that when questioned about it.

Speaking of Mac maybe he should have called the NCAA like Holgorsen did on Grier's suspension instead of letting UF piss them off by hiring that ambulance chaser to try to get his suspension reduced.

sadgator thinks the PED thing was an honest mistake, but there was clearly more to the story...there is no way you let a kid that good simply walk...there had to have been other issues.

Honestly if i was a gator fan i would probably feel this way. I understand it

U played at bama where deer antler spray was put in ur locker and in ur meals. Not surprised ;)

I played for Shula, it wasn't like the Saban cheating... but it was still happening and I can bet everyones lives on the planet if we were 6-0 and our QB at Bama murdered a girl on camera with Cops as witnesses, he would have been playing the rest of the season... Grier came to the wrong school the cheat, and thats why we don't win...

His Dad said Will was a soldier of God so there clearly was more to the story. :).

I played for Shula, it wasn't like the Saban cheating... but it was still happening and I can bet everyones lives on the planet if we were 6-0 and our QB at Bama murdered a girl on camera with Cops as witnesses, he would have been playing the rest of the season... Grier came to the wrong school the cheat, and thats why we don't win...
I asked this question respectfully, how can a former Bama football player hate Bama so much? I've never figured it out.

I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Im not buying his bs story. Kids are told time and time again what not to take and what to look for. Sucks what happened

Maybe he did but I don't think you understand how easy it is to fail one of those tests. They aren't even looking for anything in particular just elevate levels of certain things. You could get a false positive just having coffee the morning of the test.

Why wasn't he given a chance to serve his suspension and come back to the team?

Was there friction between him and Mac?

Gator Coaches - You serve the suspension that you earned by your own actions, and then you can come back out and compete for a starting job.

Grier + Dad - We want a guarantee that UF will fight the NCAA suspension, AND that Will automatically gets his starting job back just as soon as he's eligible.

It basically looked like 'worlds apart' to me. Now, throw in some of that ole 'prima dona entitlement attitude' and they parted ways.
While Will looked to be able to develop into a pretty good QB for the Gators in his short time at UF, he never looked like he was a Spurrier-Wuerffel-Tebow quality of person,,, or QB.
JMOHO's of course.

Why wasn't he given a chance to serve his suspension and come back to the team?

Was there friction between him and Mac?

"I will never beg someone to do anything," McElwain said of his meeting with Grier. "You've got to have it in your heart. To be successful at anything in life, it's got to be a passion, OK.

"And sometimes in life, we all maybe look for, you know, sure things … guarantees. There are no guarantees."
-------------------------------------------------

I think there must be a lot to the strories about the Grier's being arrogant. Heck Mac might have also been ticked off about that stunt of them bringing the ambulance chaser lawyer in addition to the UF lawyer to the appeals process on his suspension with the NCAA. I am sure that made the NCAA not want to bend an inch on his suspension at that time pulling that stunt.

"I will never beg someone to do anything," McElwain said of his meeting with Grier. "You've got to have it in your heart. To be successful at anything in life, it's got to be a passion, OK.

"And sometimes in life, we all maybe look for, you know, sure things … guarantees. There are no guarantees."
-------------------------------------------------

I think there must be a lot to the strories about the Grier's being arrogant. Heck Mac might have also been ticked off about that stunt of them bringing the ambulance chaser lawyer in addition to the UF lawyer to the appeals process on his suspension with the NCAA. I am sure that made the NCAA not want to bend an inch on his suspension at that time pulling that stunt.

Mac did not see a big enough difference between LDR and Grier to bother trying to keep him. One day people will wake up and realize this guy is not some sort if QB expert. Nothing in development or evalutation has shown that Mac or Nuss has much of amything in that area

Mac did not see a big enough difference between LDR and Grier to bother trying to keep him. One day people will wake up and realize this guy is not some sort if QB expert. Nothing in development or evalutation has shown that Mac or Nuss has much of amything in that area

More absolute proof of psychic powers. Michi claims TO KNOW exactly what Mc or Nuss sees and thinks about everything, and so he has the right to condemn him/them for his/their stupid actions. o_O

One day people will wake up and then bow down to Michi as the 'know-it-all' that he is sure to become famous for being....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu939913

I agree Mac hasn't shown much with QBs as of now but there seems to be a lot of smoke the Griers could be headaches. You might be right that he thought LDR was close enough however which he should have been able to see LDR wasn't decent SEC talent or maybe Grier just rubbed him the wrong way and he wanted him to go regardless of what we had behind him.

Maybe he did but I don't think you understand how easy it is to fail one of those tests. They aren't even looking for anything in particular just elevate levels of certain things. You could get a false positive just having coffee the morning of the test.

Lol

Actually, Mc-staff must be the greatest coaches in the history of both UF and the SEC, if not in all of NCAA D1 football history. o_O

They are stupid, they can't coach a lick, and they can't recruit anything but 2-3 stars that no decent coach would want.. :confused:

But somehow, they are the only ones to ever win their SEC division in their 1st 2 season at a school, and they did it with the player cluster that was left behind by a coaching staff that was so bad that they got fired after just 4 seasons....:oops:

Now that's just freakin' incredible imo... :cool: ------- :)

rexbedrinkin.jpg

He shouldn't be underrated, he was our best passer ever in terms of ability and what he did in the short time he started.. I just remember him always throwing like 3 TD's and 300 yards in the first half alone of so many games, and at least 2 were always to Jabar.. They both put up heisman numbers from the mid point of the 2000 season on after MSU and the 01 season... They are still the best college offense Iv'e ever seen in person.. That Auburn game i was at in 01 was such a fluke, we were like 21.5 point favorites too and the wind blew the ball around everywhere because Graham didn't play, and we lost every time he didn't and winged it around probably over 40 times because we couldn't balance the attack with gillespie

and the Orange Bowl when he was suspended and came in for the last two drives of the half and threw two strikes right away... One to Jacobs perfectly on a post high dig over the defense in the back of the endzone, and one bomb to jabar on a 9.. That 2nd one might have been in the 3rd quarter

The snortin' GROSS-boy and the beer-hoser Douggie-J were two of my least favorite Gator QB's in history. They were the other (chitty) side of the Wuerffel/Tebow coin imo, but that's just me. :cool:

I can see how those that value other things would be in love with the 1st two... :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT