ADVERTISEMENT

The Doors Are Opening For the NCAA to close in on NIL violations...?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008

"The NCAA and enforcement staff will no longer be hamstrung by uncooperative witnesses when it comes to potential name, image and likeness (NIL) violations, thanks to a new bylaw that went into effect Jan. 1.

Investigators can now use circumstantial evidence (like a tip or news story) instead of on-record sourcing to presume a school violated NCAA rules. Schools can disprove the allegation or else be potentially charged. The move strengthens the enforcement staff’s ability to charge schools and allows more leeway for investigators.

“If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck,” Duncan said. “Instead of putting the burden on the enforcement staff to always come up with a smoking gun, which we don’t always have, there is a presumption. It puts the burden on the school. It’s a really powerful tool.”...

Now, things have changed, giving investigators the ability to better police NIL deals that are obviously in violation of the association’s interim guidelines. The guidelines most notably prohibit pay-for-play and recruiting inducements. Investigators can now presume a violation without obtaining documented, on-record assistance from witnesses.
----------------------------

🤣 I want to see how this works out for them and if they really try and police this. The article makes it sound like all these big boosters and collectives are violating the rules by luring high school recruits and transfers with NIL deals. Not sure how the courts would look at this either if the NCAA enforces penalties on some schools and they get taken to court. I highly doubt the courts would say they could enforce this on current college players using the portal to get NIL. Not sure what they would say about a high school player getting an NIL deal that takes effect once they are in school.

Fever,

funny that the article mentions Ruiz. The two "biggest" recruits he went after - once they were identified by UF - were Cormani McClain & Rashada.
Neither one of them actually signed with Miami.

Maybe he will just save his money !

LOL

Reactions: ih8f$u
Fever,

funny that the article mentions Ruiz. The two "biggest" recruits he went after - once they were identified by UF - were Cormani McClain & Rashada.
Neither one of them actually signed with Miami.

Maybe he will just save his money !

LOL

Surprised he hasn't commented on this article yet since it mentions them.

Fever,

another development I believe will be forthcoming is UF will tighten the oversight on all our NIL dealings; no more going off half cocked
a 'la Rashada.

If the NCAA could actually enforce this stuff some with the high school recruits I wonder what would happen. The same schools would just go back to doing it old school style?

My guess is if that ever happened we would still be recruiting about like we are now since we don't have as many bagmen as some schools do. I could also see collectives maybe shutting down and the boosters just doing all deals directly with the real good players on the roster and with the highly ranked portal players. I think the boosters like doing things through a collective/guard like setup to try and deflect from their business if the kid does something crazy after giving them these deals.

If the NCAA could actually enforce this stuff some with the high school recruits I wonder what would happen. The same schools would just go back to doing it old school style?

...we don't have as many bagmen as some schools do. I could also see collectives maybe shutting down and the boosters just doing all deals directly with the real good players on the roster and with the highly ranked portal players.

Fever,

Another alternative would be to just let players hold part time jobs. No different than the current NIL scenario where a player's NIL "Value" is based on the number of people who follow him on social media.

That way we could avoid the expense & the ecological damage/litter caused by all those McDonalds Bags.

Always wondered what a bagman got paid; would love to have a part time job doing that.

Working for Rick Pitino at Louisville with the sex & strippers would have been the ultimate !

LOL

Wow that's some Spanish inquisition type shit there. We accuse you and you have to prove you didn't do it.

Maybe a civil court more than 50/50 chance you broke the rules. I want to see them actually try enforcing this as things will get interesting then. Heck Saban is right out there saying he told kids they weren't getting what they are asking for when the coach is supposed to have nothing to do with NIL by NCAA rules I think.

Investigators can now use circumstantial evidence (like a tip or news story) instead of on-record sourcing to presume a school violated NCAA rules. Schools can disprove the allegation or else be potentially charged. The move strengthens the enforcement staff’s ability to charge schools and allows more leeway for investigators.
This is asinine.
OK, so if I'm a blogger, I can just accuse all of my rivals of cheating, throw in some names to make it look official and make them prove their innocence.
Salem witch trials all over again.

Reactions: EvilWayz

“A representative of the institution’s athletics interests (e.g., individual booster or collective) contacts a prospect or their family about potential NIL opportunities prior to the prospect signing with the institution.” Collectives can’t proactively reach out to unsigned recruits, in other words."

"Other examples emphasize that pay-for-play via NIL isn’t allowed, nor is entering a college-related NIL deal prior to enrollment. I assume the latter is the NCAA’s attempt to dodge laws that allow high school athletes to profit from NIL, but again, I’m not a lawyer and don’t know whether that’s good enough to avoid an insta-lawsuit in a state like California."
--------------

🤣 Most of the SEC is already in violation status then. Literally Vandy (and probably not even them) is the only school that possibly hasn't violated that. As far as the high school recruits signing a deal that takes effect upon enrollment they need to go ahead and have a court test case against the NCAA if they are truly going to start enforcing this. I would love the high school recruits to be restricted that way but not sure how a court would look at that contract if it doesn't begin until the player is officially enrolled. I think the courts would definitely tell the NCAA they couldn't enforce rules like that on a portal transfer.

Wow that's some Spanish inquisition type shit there. We accuse you and you have to prove you didn't do it.

spanish-monty-python.gif

• Haha
Reactions: EvilWayz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT