ADVERTISEMENT

Terrible what happened at FIU

-MDVOL

Bull Gator
Nov 1, 2013
Condolences for anyone who had friends or loved ones killed or hurt today.

That was a brand new bridge. There should be some Dade County building in$pectors who get charged with manslaughter

I would love to see the plans on that bridge. This is what happens when morons come into my field. This should NEVER happen.

Reactions: JWtruthsquad
My guess is faulty materials or somehow they f'ed up the design where a part of the bridge was taking weight simultaneously when it shouldnt be. I mean.... This isnt some huge bridge...its hard to screw something like this up

Condolences for anyone who had friends or loved ones killed or hurt today.

That was a brand new bridge. There should be some Dade County building in$pectors who get charged with manslaughter

Not Just them but the contractors also

The contractors may have done everything right. Not sure if its materials, design, or the builders/inspectors. More than likely its materials or design.
Treding on politics but I wonder if it was mostly imported or domestic material?

Regardless very sad for all involved.

Cheap made sh it. That's what I'm blaming it on.

The bridge cost $14.5 Million dollars for it from what I read. Seems a tad high to me but Union Scale does tend to be more costly.

Somebody cut corners to make a larger profit and inspectors are either incompetent or corrupt.( I know that Dade County officials could NEVER be accused of corruption. But there it is)

UT has several Pedestrian Bridges near the Campus.One Crosses 4 lanes and has been up for 50 or so years. Steel( American made with an expansion joint in the middle. Concrete path and sides) No problems so far.But it doesn't have 920 tons of concrete in it either.

pedestrian-bridge.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeGator
Im not an engineer but it seems like it wouldnt be that hard to build a pedestrian bridge.

Its not. There is guidelines u have to follow when designing such as weight and tension. Im guessing the weight got dispersed in the wrong place or something was wrong with the tension. Could have also been faulty materials.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT