ADVERTISEMENT

Tag team wrestling from 1986-1990

GhostOfMatchesMalone

Ring of Honor
Oct 1, 2012
@gatordad3 I didn't want to hijack the covid thread, but saw your mention of The Hart Foundation. 1986-1990 or so had to be the Golden Age for tag team wrestling.

The WWF had The Hart Foundation, The British Bulldogs, The Can-Am Connection. Then when the NWA merged with the UWF, they had The Road Warriors, The Midnight Express, the Rock N Roll Express, the Fantastics, the Horsemen.

So many great teams, this was back when both federations actually emphasized tag team wrestling.

This is one of my favorite tag matches ever.

@gatordad3 I didn't want to hijack the covid thread, but saw your mention of The Hart Foundation. 1986-1990 or so had to be the Golden Age for tag team wrestling.

The WWF had The Hart Foundation, The British Bulldogs, The Can-Am Connection. Then when the NWA merged with the UWF, they had The Road Warriors, The Midnight Express, the Rock N Roll Express, the Fantastics, the Horsemen.

So many great teams, this was back when both federations actually emphasized tag team wrestling.

This is one of my favorite tag matches ever.
Is that guy Rick Flair? Looks like him. I haven't watched wrestling since Gordon Soley said
"So long from the Sunshine State!" 😂

I heard Barry Windham is struggling with his health right now.

I think Tully Blanchard became a pastor soon after he left pro wrasslin.

Lex Luger is totally unrecognizable now.
Yeah I think Windham just had a heart attack. I honestly thought he had died but apparently he's recovering. Good for him.

That's what I love about that match above, you have three of the best workers ever, one of the worst (luger) and they still pulled him to a great match.

Reactions: gatordad3
Saw a documentary on Dusty Rhodes the other night that was exceptional. A&E has been doing several I think and give some incredible insight on the business as well.
Was it an A&E documentary? Stone Cold also had Dusty on his podcast a few months before he died, it was a really good show he talked about getting started in the business, him and Dick Murdoch.

Eesh. I'd rather read Area 51 chronicles than this tripe. 😂

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: EvilWayz
Was it an A&E documentary? Stone Cold also had Dusty on his podcast a few months before he died, it was a really good show he talked about getting started in the business, him and Dick Murdoch.
Yes, it was a biography on him and also great insight into the business side along with the impact on his family. Great watch and very.nostalgic of the wrestling era in my childhood days.

Yes, it was a biography on him and also great insight into the business side along with the impact on his family. Great watch and very.nostalgic of the wrestling era in my childhood days.
You were right, it was very good. I found it on Daily Motion if anyone wants to watch it. I had no idea he wrestled Superstar Billy Graham in Madison Sq Garden, that was cool.

Here's the interview Stone Cold did with him, he talked a lot about getting started in the business before he went to Crockett in the late 70s:

@SwampRock while I'm thinking about it, here's another great podcast. It's Ric Flair talking to David Manning, Manning was a referee and booker in World Class during the 80s. His stories are absolutely hilarious, but he also tells a lot of stories about the business, even has a hilarious story about going hunting with Dusty. "Dusty is that you? Nah that aint me, brother!" LOL

Reactions: BCSpell
@SwampRock while I'm thinking about it, here's another great podcast. It's Ric Flair talking to David Manning, Manning was a referee and booker in World Class during the 80s. His stories are absolutely hilarious, but he also tells a lot of stories about the business, even has a hilarious story about going hunting with Dusty. "Dusty is that you? Nah that aint me, brother!" LOL

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

This sucks. RKO had a hell of a career. I've always been a fan of his old man, Cowboy Bob Orton.

I remember going to watch wrestling a few times at the Ft. Pierce Civic Center. Those were the best years with Gordon Solie announcing. The last time I went Lex Luger, Cowboy Ron Bass, Dusty Rhodes and Kevin Sullivan were there. Its crazy Luger is still alive after how close he was to dying. I think him and Miss Elizabeth were doing drugs big time when she died.

Damn! Loved Super Star Billy Graham.
I remember in the 80's as The Natural Butch Reed and Graham were in the ring for a pose down during a WWF segment. As Graham was getting a deafening reaction from the crowd, Reed nailed Graham on his hip with a 2x4, or it may have been a cane. It was obviously an act but that 2x4, or cane, totally injured Graham. Doctors later found some major deterioration of his hip. My guess is the roids. I didn't realize he was still alive before today.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Damn! Loved Super Star Billy Graham.
I remember in the 80's as The Natural Butch Reed and Graham were in the ring for a pose down during a WWF segment. As Graham was getting a deafening reaction from the crowd, Reed nailed Graham on his hip with a 2x4, or it may have been a cane. It was obviously an act but that 2x4, or cane, totally injured Graham. Doctors later found some major deterioration of his hip. My guess is the roids. I didn't realize he was still alive before today.

Butch Reed had some crazy ass overhead press strength. I think he was the only one I remember doing a legit full overhead slam on Big John Stud and he actually moved Andre the giant a few inches in a full overhead slam position but that just wasnt going to happen.

I heard Barry Windham is struggling with his health right now.

I think Tully Blanchard became a pastor soon after he left pro wrasslin.

Lex Luger is totally unrecognizable now.
Your right bro, Barry is recovering from a massive heart attack, and Lex has had it rough since breaking his neck which caused Partial paralysis

Butch Reed had some crazy ass overhead press strength. I think he was the only one I remember doing a legit full overhead slam on Big John Stud and he actually moved Andre the giant a few inches in a full overhead slam position but that just wasnt going to happen.
When was this with Andre? A few weeks ago I found an old match from 1982 (?) where Hogan slammed Andre, it was back when Hogan was a heel and had just joined the WWF. And another match from I think 1977 where Stan Hansen slammed Andre. But Andre looked to be a bit lighter then versus 1987, he just looked like deadweight at WM3.

When was this with Andre? A few weeks ago I found an old match from 1982 (?) where Hogan slammed Andre, it was back when Hogan was a heel and had just joined the WWF. And another match from I think 1977 where Stan Hansen slammed Andre. But Andre looked to be a bit lighter then versus 1987, he just looked like deadweight at WM3.

Hogan and them never full pressed slammed Andre like Reed did Big John Stud. Not sure if Hogan even could full press Big John Stud without assistance from him. It would have been in the 80s sometime maybe like 82 or 83. I think I was like 13 then. Reed would take people and press them fully over his head. He must have had crazy strength in a clean and jerk lift.

Last edited:
Hogan and them never full pressed slammed Andre like Reed did Big John Stud. Not sure if Hogan even could full press Big John Stud without assistance from him. It would have been in the 80s sometime maybe like 82 or 83. I think I was like 13 then. Reed would take people and press them fully over his head. He must have had crazy strength in a clean and jerk lift.
No, Hogan and Hansen definitely didn't press slam Andre, I don't think anyone is doing that.

Reactions: Gator Fever
  • Wow
Just caught Jon Jones, current UFC heavyweight champion, in an interview after watching the Gator baseball game.

I remember back around 2015 or 2016 he called out Brock Lesnar and challenged him while still a light heavyweight. Too bad that never happened. I can’t get enough of Lesnar getting kicked around the octagon like a b1tch .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT