ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Spurrier on Texas moving to SEC: Longhorns can't win the Big 12 anyway

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008

"I can understand Texas jumping over," Spurrier said, according to the Orlando Sentinel. "They get to play Texas A&M again. They get to … they can’t win the Big 12 anyway.

"I think they’re only won two in the last 30 years or so. What is it?....

"I’m sort of surprised Oklahoma," Spurrier said, according to the Sentinel. "I just don’t think they’re going to come over to the SEC and win with any regularity the way that they win the Big 12. Their fans might say, ‘Yeah, now we can beat Alabama and LSU and all these dudes.’ It may not happen like that.
----------------------------

Lol.. Not sure how this will play out but Oklahoma is capable of beating top teams and Texas just needs to get their crap in order and they will be tough. The SEC will give them a lot more pounding during the season than the Big 12 did. The likely 9 game SEC schedules will be a literal bloodbath for most teams.

I’m hard pressed to think of any big time FB program that has under-delivered more over the past 20-25 than the Longhorns.
Oh hello…

Jill-Rider%E2%80%8E-1.jpg

I’m hard pressed to think of any big time FB program that has under-delivered more over the past 20-25 than the Longhorns.

Well in the last 20 or so I think they have more accomplishments like winning the conference and playing in Championship games than Michigan. They also got the huge win over that USC team in their win. I think some of Michigan's Rose Bowls were invites due to the BCS or playoff taking the conference winner. I think Carr won a couple conferece championships in the early 2000s and that was it.

Reactions: gatordad3
Ok, point taken…. Thanks for not beating me up too bad on this LOL….

I’m too lazy to rigorously research it right now, but apart from their National Title win over USC (one of all-time great college FB games IMO), over the past 20 years or so the Longhorns have probably been more like UK in FB than UGA…. But yeah UGA has also under-delivered, as has Michigan.
Which brings me to the point...USC has underachieved as much and 1 year more than Texas has.

Another thought after UGA, Michigan, and USC is those green and orange guys down south.

Which brings me to the point...USC has underachieved as much and 1 year more than Texas has.

Another thought after UGA, Michigan, and USC is those green and orange guys down south.
I don't think the U has underachieved so much as they have returned to their natural level. I mean, small school, so small alumni base, which means lower level facilities and amenities for athletes. But, a lot of local talent. So 7-8 wins most years makes sense.

Reactions: NavigatorII
I don't think the U has underachieved so much as they have returned to their natural level. I mean, small school, so small alumni base, which means lower level facilities and amenities for athletes. But, a lot of local talent. So 7-8 wins most years makes sense.

I know it's a private school, but to act like the base doesn't have money to build football things....my god....the football alumni should certainly be good for a haul.

I’m too lazy to rigorously research it right now, but apart from their National Title win over USC (one of all-time great college FB games IMO), over the past 20 years or so the Longhorns have probably been more like UK in FB than UGA…. But yeah UGA has also under-delivered, as has Michigan.

I think Michigan is a good comparison to Texas as well. I think Texas, Michigan, and Miami are all in that tier B category.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Well in the last 20 or so I think they have more accomplishments like winning the conference and playing in Championship games than Michigan. They also got the huge win over that USC team in their win. I think some of Michigan's Rose Bowls were invites due to the BCS or playoff taking the conference winner. I think Carr won a couple conferece championships in the early 2000s and that was it.
Unlike Harbaugh, I believe Carr may have won the Big 10 his first 6 seasons at Meathchicken.

Off topic

Speaking of Michigan, coaches vs certain rivals since being hired at the start of the 2015 season for football and hoops.

Harbaugh: 0-6 vs pOSU
Mike White: 0-6 vs FSU

Reactions: Gator Fever
ADVERTISEMENT