ADVERTISEMENT

So when Florida beats Tennessee…

I heard a coach say the same thing. He mentioned that Napier has an audible built into every play...this helps to optimize overall potential for each play.

That metioned, for the formation going to the mismatch throw was the right call - but in that scenario you have to understand the game overall and still run the ball.
Not to mention it was a poorly thrown pass. The receiver had no chance.

I heard a coach say the same thing. He mentioned that Napier has an audible built into every play...this helps to optimize overall potential for each play.

That metioned, for the formation going to the mismatch throw was the right call - but in that scenario you have to understand the game overall and still run the ball.
You could see that pick coming before the ball was even snapped. The formation was so obvious…and everybody in the stadium knew what was coming.

Reactions: Razorback_Nole
The throw was bad and the decision to throw in that situation was worse.
There's no doubt it was a disastrous play given the context of the game. The only point is that in isolation this is generally what coaches would have wanted.

It was the wrong decision but only because it was applied at the wrong time - he wasn't confused at the defense or making an abnormally bad read. That is a nuance we should keep in mind.

The throw was bad and the decision to throw in that situation was worse.

I want to go back and look at it again but watching it one time afterwards there was a guy watching the QB but AR against a safety near the endzone is odds AR should take every time with a chance to scramble for a TD.

Edit: just looked again wasn't opened up to running it in. Just a bad throw.

Last edited:
I want to go back and look at it again but watching it one time afterwards there was a guy watching the QB but AR against a safety near the endzone is odds AR should take every time with a chance to scramble for a TD.

Edit: just looked again wasn't opened up to running it in. Just a bad throw.
On the replay, you can see the OL opened a huge lane for MJ. Would have walked in, probably untouched.

Yeah we only gained 594 yards of offense.

And did UF win? Games aren't won on total yards. We aren't going to make a ring at the end of the season and hold parades because we scored lots of yards, much less win the SEC

The playcalling cost us points, opportunities, and put us in bad situations. But hey, almost 600 yards, amiright? What's different from taking comfort in that and UCF's mentality years back? No....I take that back....at least UCF was celebrating à win.

C'mon, man, I used to hear USC gamecock or other fans of meh football programs bring up total yards at the end of losses all the time.

Last edited:
And did UF win? Games aren't won on total yards. We aren't going to make a ring at the end of the season and hold parades because we scored lots of yards, much less win the SEC

The playcalling cost us points, opportunities, and put us in bad situations. But hey, almost 600 yards, amiright? What's different from taking comfort in that and UCF's mentality years back? No....I take that back....at least UCF was celebrating à win.
You said bad play calling. The offense wasnt the problem in that game. The defense lost the game. Napier took gambles because he knew the defense wasn’t stopping anybody. The defense hasn’t stopped anybody all year to be honest. We punted 1 time the entire game. I don’t believe Tennessee punted once. We have major defensive issues.

You said bad play calling. The offense wasnt the problem in that game. The defense lost the game. Napier took gambles because he knew the defense wasn’t stopping anybody. The defense hasn’t stopped anybody all year to be honest. We punted 1 time the entire game. I don’t believe Tennessee punted once. We have major defensive issues.

So, when Napier chose to not take a garunteed 3 points in the first half....that had no influence on the loss? When he chose to needlessly call timeout before the half and résulted in UT scoring it's all on the defense? Even a defense you already know is prone to lapses? Napier gets off scott-free? You said it yourself that the defense has problems...So why in the world would he do that?

So the 3rd down oline statue play that was mocked when performed by FSU years back, and endangers a qb....even one concerned about injury is a good decision?

The one and only running sweep play(that I saw) was indictive of créative playcalling??? Even though we we almost always getting stuffed up the middle specifically on 2nd down? I expect that from a Muschamp offense.

I could keep going on and on....I really could.

We have defensive issues, true....but dont act like that when we had many opportunities....even one that could have given UF a double digit lead before the half...but it didnt happen...it wasn't because we weren't hamstringed by playcalling and decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff from Jax
So, when Napier chose to not take a garunteed 3 points in the first half....that had no influence on the loss? When he chose to needlessly call timeout before the half and résulted in UT scoring it's all on the defense? Even a defense you already know is prone to lapses? Napier gets off scott-free?

So the 3rd down oline statue play that was mocked when performed by FSU years back, and endangers a qb....even one concerned about injury is a good decision?

The one and only running sweep play(that I saw) was indictive of créative playcalling???

We have defensive issues, true....but dont act like that when we had many opportunities....even one that could have given UF a double digit lead before the half...but it didnt happen...it wasn't because we weren't hamstringed by playcalling and decisions.
Hindsight is always 20/20. I had ZERO problem with the end of the first half decision. You would be screaming if we let the clock run out. Defense didn’t do their job or more specifically Trey Dean got beat again. If we make that 3rd down stop we get the ball back with over a minute to go and good field position.
Most of the decisions Napier made were because he knew the defense wasn’t going to stop them.
We scored enough points to win the game.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I had ZERO problem with the end of the first half decision. You would be screaming if we let the clock run out. Defense didn’t do their job or more specifically Trey Dean got beat again.
Most of the decisions Napier made were because he knew the defense wasn’t going to stop them.

What hindsight do you think anybody had for the lack of the fieldgoal?

Look, if it were one situation I could humor the notion of hindsight 20/20 about the time out, even though people called that out before UT scored as well.

The problem is that wasn't just one situation.....it was a pattern all game long and the cherry on the top was the trying a 2 point conversion when UF didn't need to do it the first time. That's a golden rule of football......don't risk 2 point conversations unless you need to.

That's not hindsight. Take the extra points both times....and look....all UF has to do at the end is get a field goal.....not a desperate series of trying to get a touchdown.

You may not want want to go to OT on the road, but you have a qb that that has proven to cause turnovers when pressed under extrême pressure. Putting him in a situation to cover a whole field late in the game with a lack of timeouts....., as opposed to covering 25 yards, if need be, in OT? Do you really have more confidence in the former option?

If we are going to point fingers, let's not play favorites here and acknowledge all who had a part to play.

Last edited:
So, when Napier chose to not take a garunteed 3 points in the first half....that had no influence on the loss? When he chose to needlessly call timeout before the half and résulted in UT scoring it's all on the defense? Even a defense you already know is prone to lapses? Napier gets off scott-free? You said it yourself that the defense has problems...So why in the world would he do that?

The one and only running sweep play(that I saw) was indictive of créative playcalling??? Even though we we almost always getting stuffed up the middle specifically on 2nd down? I expect that from a Muschamp offense.

It’s easy to look back now. Suppose we scored a TD on that opening drive. It was a 50-50 gamble. The whole outlook changes. Anyone can say it was a bad choice after seeing the results.

Last edited:
It’s easy to look back now. Suppose we scored a TD on that opening drive. It was a 50-50 gamble. The hole outlook changes. Anyone can say it was a bad choice after seeing the results.

I think the "hindsight" excuse gets abused in it's overusage. This wasn't going for a 60 yard field goal. This was garunteed points on the board with an offense that needed some confidence after the last couple weeks.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I had ZERO problem with the end of the first half decision. You would be screaming if we let the clock run out. Defense didn’t do their job or more specifically Trey Dean got beat again. If we make that 3rd down stop we get the ball back with over a minute to go and good field position.
Monday morning QB is an easy job.

This times like a million.

sadgator was actually really impressed with Napier’s game plan…which worked to perfection…

Florida really controlled the pace and flow of the game and put themselves in a position to possibly win…

But the defense is the problem. We have a few good players who rise up at times…and they do play hard, but they just aren’t great. Simple as that.

Look at Tennessee’s efficiency on offense in the stats of that game. Imagine if we hadn’t controlled it as well as we did on offense.

The reason I wouldn't have done it is because of how our pass defense had looked so shaky despite us having the lead. That is a timeout you normally take though. Maybe it was payback for Napier getting away with all those 4th down tries.
This is true. However, you ensure that the other team is going to punt before calling that TO.

This times like a million.

sadgator was actually really impressed with Napier’s game plan…which worked to perfection…

Florida really controlled the pace and flow of the game and put themselves in a position to possibly win…

But the defense is the problem. We have a few good players who rise up at times…and they do play hard, but they just aren’t great. Simple as that.

Look at Tennessee’s efficiency on offense in the stats of that game. Imagine if we hadn’t controlled it as well as we did on offense.
Same here x10!!

I generally like to get the 3 early in a game but Napier understood that if we don't score 30+ we had not chance to win. Going for 2 while down 11 was going for the win, in advance - love that ish.

Same here x10!!

I generally like to get the 3 early in a game but Napier understood that if we don't score 30+ we had not chance to win. Going for 2 while down 11 was going for the win, in advance - love that ish.
He put us in a position to win. Sucks that we didn’t, but it’s pretty amazing that they even had a chance to win given the circumstances.

On the other side - I'm not sure TN is nearly as good as they'd like to think they could.

Take this all in - they think they are a legit Top 10 program with Heupel on a roll. They barely beat a UF team at home, that was in complete disarray the last 2 weeks, undermanned and thin all over.

They aren't what they think they are.

Reactions: Gator Fever
What hindsight do you think anybody had for the lack of the fieldgoal?

Look, if it were one situation I could humor the notion of hindsight 20/20 about the time out, even though people called that out before UT scored as well.

The problem is that wasn't just one situation.....it was a pattern all game long and the cherry on the top was the trying a 2 point conversion when UF didn't need to do it the first time. That's a golden rule of football......don't risk 2 point conversations unless you need to.

That's not hindsight. Take the extra points both times....and look....all UF has to do at the end is get a field goal.....not a desperate series of trying to get a touchdown.

You may not want want to go to OT on the road, but you have a qb that that has proven to cause turnovers when pressed under extrême pressure. Putting him in a situation to cover a whole field late in the game with a lack of timeouts....., as opposed to covering 25 yards, if need be, in OT? Do you really have more confidence in the former option?

If we are going to point fingers, let's not play favorites here and acknowledge all who had a part to play.
Oh yeah UT averaged 8.22 yards per play. I don’t know how you can’t say the defense lost that game for us. That’s really bad.

They aren't what they think they are.
Heupel probably isn’t the deity they think he is…but Hooker is a serious baller. That guy was really good. He made every read we gave him and he was cool and composed even when he got dinged up. He exposed our defensive flaws and mistakes at every chance he had. He will definitely help UT win a few more big ones this season. The real verdict will come when we see what happens when Heupel has to develop somebody behind Hooker…

that said…they beat us, so we really can’t say much…

Heupel probably isn’t the deity they think he is…but Hooker is a serious baller. That guy was really good. He made every read we gave him and he was cool and composed even when he got dinged up. He exposed our defensive flaws and mistakes at every chance he had. He will definitely help UT win a few more big ones this season. The real verdict will come when we see what happens when Heupel has to develop somebody behind Hooker…

Oh yeah - tha'ts not talking crap after we lost. It's just saying what I watched is all - I expected TN to be WAY better across the board. And saying that, we played about as well as I could have expected so it's not meant as sour grapes.

Heupel probably isn’t the deity they think he is…but Hooker is a serious baller. The real verdict will come when we see what happens when Heupel has to develop somebody behind Hooker…

Sad,

One interesting QB all ready on UT's Roster is Navy Shuler - son of Heath Shuler.

Jan 14, 2020: Enrolled - Early Entry

Navy Shuler enrolls at Appalachian State...

Dec 19, 2021: Transfer- In time for spring practice

Navy Shuler transfers to Tennessee Volunteers

The other is Tenn's $8MM QB -

NICO IAMALEAVA
PRO STYLE QUARTERBACK •6'6" | 205 LBS•CLASS OF 2023

Not sure an entering FR QB - even if he goes early Entry & spring practice is what you want to replace Hooker; but for the money they paid to get him, I'm sure Heupel will give him every chance to earn QB1 status.

Would fall out if Navy (cool name) Shuler pulled a Stetson Bennett & put IAMALEAVA on the bench.

Since someone has to win it & I'm tired of Bama; would love to see Stetson (another cool name) beat Bryce Young & Bama for Nattie.

My only issue with calls the entire game was going for 2 when down 11. Being down 9 isn't any better than being down 10. That isn't hindsight, I said it at the time. Other than that, was happy with the coaching.

But, looking forward to when Napier has his own recruits on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
My only issue with calls the entire game was going for 2 when down 11. Being down 9 isn't any better than being down 10. That isn't hindsight, I said it at the time. Other than that, was happy with the coaching.

But, looking forward to when Napier has his own recruits on both sides of the ball.
https://www.readandreaction.com/2022/09/25/florida-falls-to-tennessee/

Explains the go for 2 when down 11 - analytics stuff :) Essentially he was going for the win in advance. So if we had the 3 already and then scored a TD, he was going for the 2 point conversion anyhow.

There's also backup reasoning if it didn't work out - the article is pretty good.

Reactions: PacoGator19
https://www.readandreaction.com/2022/09/25/florida-falls-to-tennessee/

Explains the go for 2 when down 11 - analytics stuff :) Essentially he was going for the win in advance. So if we had the 3 already and then scored a TD, he was going for the 2 point conversion anyhow.

There's also backup reasoning if it didn't work out - the article is pretty good.
GBO,

Realize that as Descartes said - "nothing is constant but change !" so perhaps analytics' time has come - Todd Golden ?
BUT
another quotation states that "logic (analytics) is just a way to go wrong with confidence !"

Posters here have beaten Napier's decisions to death; so I will keep this short -

What would Nick Saban (G.O.A.T. ?) have done ?

Would he have used analytics to justify going for 2 or would he, as Tebow & others (myself included) have said - take the points when they came !
Would Saban have kicked that 1st qtr FG from short range & gone for the PATs & been in position to win with a time running out FG ?

How did Saban come back to beat Texas ?

Analytics or tried & true SEC coaching ?

EDIT
Saban beat Texas (20-19) by kicking the game winning 33 yd FG with 10 seconds left

Last edited:
GBO,

Realize that as Descartes said - "nothing is constant but change !" so perhaps analytics' time has come - Todd Golden ?
BUT
another quotation states that "logic (analytics) is just a way to go wrong with confidence !"

Posters here have beaten Napier's decisions to death; so I will keep this short -

Would he have used analytics to justify going for 2 or would he, as Tebow & others (myself included) have said - take the points when they came !
Would Saban have kicked that 1st qtr FG from short range & gone for the PATs & been in position to win with a time running out FG ?

That's really the question. Above I was just explaining why it was done - not that it was the right call. But personally, it was the right call haha.

GBO,

BUT

I challenge anyone to find me a power 5 football coach that ever went for 2 near the end of a game to try and make the deficit 9 points instead of 10 points. Don't care if OT odds etc. somehow says that isn't a bad decision as it was a crazy call.

I challenge anyone to find me a power 5 football coach that ever went for 2 near the end of a game to try and make the deficit 9 points instead of 10 points. Don't care if OT odds etc. somehow says that isn't a bad decision as it was a crazy call.
Throw those stupid cards in the trash and coach by knowing the game well enough to make rational decisions at critical moments.

Throw those stupid cards in the trash and coach by knowing the game well enough to make rational decisions at critical moments.
This is what I have an issue with. Don’t let the card coach the team. Make the decision that you think gives you the best chance to win. If that’s informed by statistics, fine. But don’t shrug and say, sorry my hands were tied by this index card.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT