ADVERTISEMENT

So I see we fired the soccer coach

TennesseeGator

Bull Gator
May 29, 2001
Memphis, TN
For a poor record as well as disconnect between himself and the athletes. Tony Amato.

This coach was hired by Stricklin.

Wasn't there a similar issue with the lady hoops coach? Again hired by Stricklin.

Then there was Dan Mullen.... again hired by Stricklin.

Then y'all are speaking of rumors of Sully checking out. Not hired by Stricklin but under his watch.

Take Sully out of this conservation.

Is Stricklin in over his head? Does he just plain suck. I know his legacy will be built in how Napier and Golden turn out. But I'm no longer in anyway impressed.

I'd take a Foley with a 8-5 Butters if it meant a good hoops program and national title competing Olympic programs vs a 6-7 football program, lackluster hoops program, and multiple Olympic sports coming up short.

For a poor record as well as disconnect between himself and the athletes. Tony Amato.

This coach was hired by Stricklin.

Wasn't there a similar issue with the lady hoops coach? Again hired by Stricklin.

Then there was Dan Mullen.... again hired by Stricklin.

Then y'all are speaking of rumors of Sully checking out. Not hired by Stricklin but under his watch.

Take Sully out of this conservation.

Is Stricklin in over his head? Does he just plain suck. I know his legacy will be built in how Napier and Golden turn out. But I'm no longer in anyway impressed.

I'd take a Foley with a 8-5 Butters if it meant a good hoops program and national title competing Olympic programs vs a 6-7 football program, lackluster hoops program, and multiple Olympic sports coming up short.

It is a disconcerting trend. I for one kinda liked Foley.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
It is a disconcerting trend. I for one kinda liked Foley.
Jeremy Foley made some mistake in his 24 years as AD, just like any CEO in any business would do. But he made way more excellent decisions and built the UF Athletic Dept. into an elite one. He was at the forefront of developing and promoting women's sports and hired Steve Spurrier, Urban Meyer, Billy Donovan, Becky Burleigh, Tim Walton, Kevin O'Sullivan, Mike Holloway, Roland Thornqvist, Bryan Shelton, Amanda O'Leary, etc. He, also, insisted not straying outside the rules and aside from a few minor issues here and there kept the UF Athletic Dept. free of NCAA trouble his entire tenure. I, too, liked the guy and think he was one of the greatest all time AD's in NCAA history.

Agreed, Foley was one of the best in the business. Zook and Champ hires were not good, but overall he produced a championship athletic department.

While the baseball team has been disappointing the last couple of years and the softball team hasn’t signed any dominant hitters or pitchers lately the women’s basketball team the tennis and golf teams as well as the track teams have improved.

As a person, I didn't care for Foley much, (stories-- rumors).

As an AD, I think that he was a Top 5 in the nation for 2+ decades.

Not impressed with Strickland so far, but we'll see as more time goes by.

Meanwhile, FSU has the best women’s soccer team in the nation. UF won a title super early into their existence and produced arguably the best women’s player ever in Abby Wambach which should have built the momentum,” moving forward, yet here we are.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Sounds like a crazy reason to be fired that soon but I do give him credit for firing Mullen when many thought he might be given another year and he must have had talks with White about the reality with the basketball team.

Reactions: gatordad3
Was he the one making disparaging comments to his players?

Not sure what was said but I guess the players didn't like him telling them they needed to get in better shape. I would have to see video of the exchanges to say where I would fall on that considering how soft many of these young people are now. Depends on the type of language he used imo but the AD seems to say he was warned. Everything is so PC now he might have been canned since it was female players he said it to and him being a man.

It's also crazy he will walk away with like a million bucks in a sport that doesn't bring in any money.

Not sure what was said but I guess the players didn't like him telling them they needed to get in better shape. I would have to see video of the exchanges to say where I would fall on that considering how soft many of these young people are now. Depends on the type of language he used imo but the AD seems to say he was warned. Everything is so PC now he might have been canned since it was female players he said it to and him being a man.

I heard from a softball player at UF that he was basically calling them fat to their face lol I don't know if that is true, as you said I need video evidence or a preponderance of evidence to actually believe it but that is what the soccer players told the softball players

I heard from a softball player at UF that he was basically calling them fat to their face lol I don't know if that is true, as you said I need video evidence or a preponderance of evidence to actually believe it but that is what the soccer players told the softball players

Yep that would be alright before to try and get them motivated but now the PC police wont allow a male coach to say that to a female player. If the AD told him straight up he cant do that and he continued I can see firing him but he is getting his full payout I guess due to it being something like that.

Reactions: fsu939913
You don't tell the players they are out of shape, you tell them you are changing the workout regimine and attendance is mandatory. This moves the team in the right direction without insults.

Seems as if today athletes want to be treated as human beings, and respected as such. I know, crazy, right?

Reactions: fsu939913
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT