ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Beamer's views on portal players and the bowl games etc...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008

I found his views on it kind of interesting considering he had a starting QB and others who were portal players. Since bowl games dont mean much anymore I can see telling them they are not playing in the bowl game and letting a young guy get the experience. As far as some portal players not finding what they are expecting I think you treat that like a business deal just like the players are now. If you arent at least real good quality 2nd string depth yank the scholarship and use it on another player.

Beamer seems to be a good coach…funny how teams with good coaches have no problem getting up for “meaningless” bowl games…while others use excuses to explain why they were unprepared to play…
You mean the same coach that got destroyed by UF by 30 points this past year? Didn’t South Carolina also lose their “meaningless” bowl game? Did Beamer have to play his 3 string QB as well?

I do think Beamer is a pretty decent coach though.

You mean the same coach that got destroyed by UF by 30 points this past year? Didn’t South Carolina also lose their “meaningless” bowl game? Did Beamer have to play his 3 string QB as well?

I do think Beamer is a pretty decent coach though.
Understand they lost, but they did play ND better than anyone would have expected of South Carolina….and UF did kick their asses, so yeah…

Reactions: PacoGator19
It is interesting to see the differing thoughts/approaches on guys who have entered the portal. Beamer has chosen to pretty my h cut them off when they enter; I saw Saban discussing it & he offered the portal kids the opportunity to play if they wanted to do so. Norvell let them all continue to work out & practice with the team; I know some of them dressed out & I am pretty sure at least a few played some in the bowl.
Personally, I would be inclined to let them play as long as they are leaving on good terms & I was comfortable that they would not make trouble r be a distraction (for instance, McCall had displayed a bad attitude on the sideline for the last few weeks if the season, and was critical of the staff when announcing he was transferring...him I would not allow to play)

Last edited:
Beamer seems to be a good coach…funny how teams with good coaches have no problem getting up for “meaningless” bowl games…while others use excuses to explain why they were unprepared to play…
Pretty much all of these games in the last week or so, everyone has shown up to play. I haven’t seen anyone treat it like a spring game, as various UF coaches have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT