ADVERTISEMENT

SEC pods/DIVISIONS talk

NorthJerseyGator

Gator Great
Sep 17, 2010
My thoughts on dividing it after seeing internet articles with other ways of doing it:

UF, Uga, SCar, Aubie

UK, UTjv, Vandy, Zou

Bama, Piss, Cowbell, Corndogs

Pigs, Boomer, Horns, Faggies

Then 2 permanent cross division foes to keep historic rivalries in place - UF/LSU and UF/UTjv.

UF played Aubie every year for decades until 2012 and Auburn is the closest geographically to Gainesville of all the SEC towns and we had good rivalry with them that I miss so I think they should be in our division instead of with Bama and the Piss schools. Kingpin Bama boys still get their rivalries with their two cross permanents being Aubie and UTjv.

I think culturally and geographically the above is better than the others 4 division splits I've seen.

Pod A: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina
Pod B: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Pod C: LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M
Pod D: Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma

With the proposed 9 SEC game schedule:

The 1st 2 year block you play home & away the other 3 teams in your own pod, and then 2 from each of the other 3 pods (3+2+2+2 = 9).
The 2nd 2 year block, your 3 and the other 2 teams from the other 3 pods.
This way, you play every team in the 16 team SEC in 2 year blocks (4 years).

UF Years 1&2 - UG-UK-SC--UA-AU--LSU-MsSt--Ark-Mizz -- home & away.
UF Years 3&4 - UG-UK-SC--TN-VU--Miss-aTm--TX-OK -- home & away.

A bit more messy, but you could also do 1&3 then 2&4... That breaks up your home & away games with each SEC opponent. UF would get UA at home in year 1, and away in year 3 instead of year 2 for example.
And this leaves all 16 SEC teams with 3 games for either OoC rivals, or patsies.

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
If they go the no divisions or pods route the 9 SEC games with 3 permanent and 6 rotational opponents would solve a lot of issues.

I wonder who our 3 permanents would be - GA and who else? LSU would have some pressure for the 3 to be current West teams. Tenn maybe as one?

If they go the no divisions or pods route the 9 SEC games with 3 permanent and 6 rotational opponents would solve a lot of issues.

I wonder who our 3 permanents would be - GA and who else? LSU would have some pressure for the 3 to be current West teams. Tenn maybe as one?
I would favor Auburn

Reactions: Gator Fever
Pods looks to me like the best way to go about it with 16 teams.

And if they used the 1/3 then 2/4 method, it would split the home & away games, but you'd play the other 15 SEC teams in every 2 year block.

Now you no longer have any worries or problems playing the in Conf. rival games, while you have 3 OoC games for any old or new rival games.

For a championship game, the pods could be A&B East vs C&D West

Reactions: Gator Fever
Some places claiming now they are being pressured now to keep it at 8 SEC games with only 1 permanent opponent and playing the other 14 teams every other season with no pods or divisions. Teams would be allowed to schedule a 9th SEC game but I think I heard it wouldn't count in the SEC standings. Crazy stuff if that happens and GA-Auburn and Bama-Tenn etc. weren't yearly games.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Just as a general football fan of the south here are some things that can't end involving at least 1 SEC team.

In no particular order

Auburn vs UGA
Alabama vs Tennessee
Florida vs UGA
UGA vs Georgia Tech
Clemson vs South Carolina
Alabama vs Auburn
Florida vs Florida State
Ole Miss vs Mississippi State
Arkansas vs Ole Miss (ok not that important)
Arkansas vs LSU
Ole Miss vs LSU
Alabama vs LSU
Florida vs Tennessee
Kentucky vs Tennessee

Just as a general football fan of the south here are some things that can't end involving at least 1 SEC team.

In no particular order

Auburn vs UGA
Alabama vs Tennessee
Florida vs UGA
UGA vs Georgia Tech
Clemson vs South Carolina
Alabama vs Auburn
Florida vs Florida State
Ole Miss vs Mississippi State
Arkansas vs Ole Miss (ok not that important)
Arkansas vs LSU
Ole Miss vs LSU
Alabama vs LSU
Florida vs Tennessee
Kentucky vs Tennessee

Would be crazy but LSU would lose 2 of those annual games and Tenn would probably get Vandy as their permanent one. The only reason I could see 1-7 over 3-6 is they think it would create more losing record teams and may hurt playoff chances but with 12 playoff teams that shouldn't matter much.

I've said it before and so I'll say it again.... I'd only play the FSUcks Criminoles or the scUM thugs of Mi-Am-I in a CFP or in bowl games... They chose a chump conference, so leave them to play other chumps...

And I wouldn't travel to either Tallycrappy or Mi-Am-I if they gave me prime seating tickets for free....

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
ADVERTISEMENT