ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Defenses

slnbot

Baby Gator
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
How do Kentucky and Arkansas have better defenses than LSU and Florida?

Well, as for UK, they have quietly and consistently been recruiting 3 and 4* players and they are obviously good at evaluating and developing, as evidenced by turning a 2* DE into a #1 draft pick as well as placing several DB's & Safeties in the NFL! Not sure about Arky, I don't follow their recruiting, but if I had to guess I'd say coaching on their behalf.....Prior to Stoops arrival the highest ranked UK class was around #69. Since, they have been between #17 and #23 or so. Will that get them a Natty? Doubtful.....but it has made them MUCH more competitive.

Last edited:
LSU lost a ton of peeps from last year’s championship team. UF....? Grantham? Underwhelming defensive recruiting under Mac? Player buy-in to the system? Hard for me to tell

The SEC Officials use and/or non-use of the offensive line's blatant holding.

In the past, it was accepted that OL holding could be called on almost every play by rule.

In 2019, UF lost 2 games, by 14 Pts (LSU) and by 7 pts (UGA).
In both of UF's losses, the SEC officials made ZERO holding calls on passing plays.
The UF defense led the SEC in sacks in 2019.
Does anyone suspect that OL holding with no calls by the SEC's excuse for game officials, might have been a factor in the outcomes of both of those games??? 🤓

So, my point is this: Do the SEC team defenses suck, or is it the SEC's excuse for officials that Suck?
And if the officials are only doing what they have been told to do, then who in the SEC's front office is to blame? Some questions seem to never be answered, or even be brought up for that matter.... 😏

The Lame Kitten just got fined for telling the truth about the SEC officials that cost MS the game.
Sometimes it's worth the monetary fine, to get your words in about a chit-job.

The SEC home offices sure do protect their crappy game officials. 😏
And I continue to wonder if it's the game officials, or the SEC Home Office / Commissioner that's the problem??? 🤓

Since I've bitched a couple of times here about the 'no holding calls,' I noticed that this past weekend they called more OL holding than they have for the rest of the previous season so far. 😏

The Wash DC swamp, and the Birmingham SEC home offices, seem to have something ugly in common.... 🥴

Well, as for UK, they have quietly and consistently been recruiting 3 and 4* players and they are obviously good at evaluating and developing, as evidenced by turning a 2* DE into a #1 draft pick as well as placing several DB's & Safeties in the NFL! Not sure about Arky, I don't follow their recruiting, but if I had to guess I'd say coaching on their behalf.....Prior to Stoops arrival the highest ranked UK class was around #69. Since, they have been between #17 and #23 or so. Will that get them a Natty? Doubtful.....but it has made them MUCH more competitive.
Kentucky has been sneaky decent on defense for a few years now. Improved recruiting has helped. Natty? I would start with trying to be competitive in the east first.

LSU lost a ton of peeps from last year’s championship team. UF....? Grantham? Underwhelming defensive recruiting under Mac? Player buy-in to the system? Hard for me to tell

Grantham is part of it. His defenses aren't fundamentally sound. Even in a decent performance like this was, I still saw us running delayed blitzes from defenders 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Any blitz where the guy can't make an impact within 4 seconds is a wasted player, you are basically playing with 10 men on defense. And these delayed blitzes from 10 yards downfield, they take about 6 seconds for the guy to reach the QB.

He did do a smart thing and simplified the defense, but that is a two edged sword, as it makes it easier for teams to scheme. However, it doesn't matter what the offense calls if the defenders don't run their assignments properly, so I'd rather have a simpler, more aggressive defense than an exotic defense where everybody isn't on the same page half the time.

Not sure what you mean by players not buying into the system. Buy-in is to the culture the head coach brings, not so much about the X's and O's. The only player I ever saw not buy into the scheme was Rex Grossman, he continued to call Spurrier plays after the HBC left for Washington.

Just talkin' chit, or talking facts??? 🤓

Restoring the tradition of defensive excellence at the University of Florida, Todd Grantham’s impact in his first two seasons as UF’s Defensive Coordinator has been immense.

Grantham’s scheme has given Florida’s defense a reputation for being one of the most distributive defensive units in the nation while keeping offenses out of the end zone.

In Grantham’s two seasons, the defense has registered 49 takeaways, tied for 6th most in the nation over that span. With a turnover margin of plus-12 in 2018 and plus-5 in 2019, UF also finished with a turnover margin of at least plus-5 in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2014 and 2015.

In 2019, Florida finished 7th nationally in scoring defense (15.5 points)
and has been one of the best teams in the nation at keeping its opponents out of the end zone, completing three shutouts in a season for the first time since 1988.

The Gator defense has been distributive in their ability to rush the passer and force turnovers. Florida ranked 5th nationally with 49 sacks, leading the SEC by a whopping 12. In total, Grantham’s defense registered 102 tackles for loss on the season, tying for 11th nationally and leading the SEC by 6.

Florida finished 2019 tied for 9th in the FBS with 16 interceptions and was only one of 6 FBS teams with at least 3 interceptions in 3 games this year.

Additionally, UF kept offenses fenced out of the end zone, finishing 3rd in the FBS in opponent red zone touchdown percentage (40 percent / 14 TDs in 35 trips).

In 2018, UF also led the nation in 4th quarter opponent passing efficiency (66.25) and were 2nd nationally in 4th quarter opponent completion percentage (40.5) last season. In addition, the Gators’ 26 takeaways in 2018 ranked tied for 11th nationally, and they scored 85 points off those turnovers

For the rest of the story/history, go here, or just keep on talkin' chit... :rolleyes:

Restoring the tradition of defensive excellence at the University of Florida, Todd Grantham’s impact in his first two seasons as UF’s Defensive Coordinator has been immense.

Grantham’s scheme has given Florida’s defense a reputation for being one of the most distributive defensive units in the nation while keeping offenses out of the end zone.

In Grantham’s two seasons, the defense has registered 49 takeaways, tied for 6th most in the nation over that span. With a turnover margin of plus-12 in 2018 and plus-5 in 2019, UF also finished with a turnover margin of at least plus-5 in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2014 and 2015.

In 2019, Florida finished 7th nationally in scoring defense (15.5 points) and has been one of the best teams in the nation at keeping its opponents out of the end zone, completing three shutouts in a season for the first time since 1988.

The Gator defense has been distributive in their ability to rush the passer and force turnovers. Florida ranked 5th nationally with 49 sacks, leading the SEC by a whopping 12. In total, Grantham’s defense registered 102 tackles for loss on the season, tying for 11th nationally and leading the SEC by 6.

Florida finished 2019 tied for 9th in the FBS with 16 interceptions and was only one of 6 FBS teams with at least 3 interceptions in 3 games this year.

Additionally, UF kept offenses fenced out of the end zone, finishing 3rd in the FBS in opponent red zone touchdown percentage (40 percent / 14 TDs in 35 trips).

In 2018, UF also led the nation in 4th quarter opponent passing efficiency (66.25) and were 2nd nationally in 4th quarter opponent completion percentage (40.5) last season. In addition, the Gators’ 26 takeaways in 2018 ranked tied for 11th nationally, and they scored 85 points off those turnovers

For the rest of the story/history, go here, or just keep on talkin' chit... :rolleyes:

As I have said, good offenses torch us, bad offenses get completely shut down. This is reality. GO back and review the past two seasons, heck, just look at the scores.

Here's the reality: Grantham is a bully. If he can overwhelm an offense, he does so . But if we play a team that can stand up to us, we do what bullies do, we become cowards, we go into a shell where the DB's are playing 10 yards off the ball and allowing completions. How many times do we have to have a 3rd and 8 with the defensive backs playing 10 yards back, which is 2 yards behind the sticks, before you figure this out? How many blitzes do you have to see where the defender is still 3 yards away from the pocket when the ball is thrown for you to realize that there are fundamental flaws in his scheme?

The statistics lie, as statistics often do. Try to understand this.

You are certainly allowed your own much biased OPINIONS. :rolleyes:

Go argue with the 'OFFICIAL' Gator website about how you're so much smarter than Dan Mullen is on who he should hire as his DC.... 🤓

You are certainly allowed your own much biased OPINIONS. :rolleyes:

Go argue with the 'OFFICIAL' Gator website about how you're so much smarter than Dan Mullen is on who he should hire as his DC.... 🤓

I may not be smarter than Dan, but I'm a helluva lot smarter than YOU.

You MAY-NOT be smarter than Dan???
LMFAO at that one... :D:D:D

In your own (much self-vaulted) opinion.
Not your 1st or largest idiot opinion btw... :p

Not so "self-vaulted". Gump would give you a run for your money.

BTW, I think the word you were looking for is "vaunted".

In 2019, Florida finished 7th nationally in scoring defense (15.5 points) and has been one of the best teams in the nation at keeping its opponents out of the end zone, completing three shutouts in a season for the first time since 1988.

I really hate to be Debbie Downer after such a fine victory over our biggest rival but you've been watching a different defense than I have this year. We've had some REALLY bad breakdowns on defense that would have destroyed lesser offensive teams. All day long yesterday receivers were running wide open, safeties rotating to the wrong side of the field, thank goodness UGA doesn't have a QB to exploit that. I still don't know if that is due to the schemes or just inexperience. I don't even want to talk about the first play of the game yesterday.o_O

I really hate to be Debbie Downer after such a fine victory over our biggest rival but you've been watching a different defense than I have this year. We've had some REALLY bad breakdowns on defense that would have destroyed lesser offensive teams. All day long yesterday receivers were running wide open, safeties rotating to the wrong side of the field, thank goodness UGA doesn't have a QB to exploit that. I still don't know if that is due to the schemes or just inexperience. I don't even want to talk about the first play of the game yesterday.o_O

100% agree. Terrible defense, worse offense. I watched with my kids and told them several times, if this was Clemson's offense we would be getting destroyed.

I agree our defense is bad but people have to defend our offense as well. Right now it looks like nobody is really playing good defense this year.

I agree our defense is bad but people have to defend our offense as well. Right now it looks like nobody is really playing good defense this year.

I don't disagree, but I think a game against Clemson would look like the LSU game last year. We would score, but they would look like they were playing against air.

The Gator O line played like champions yesterday. They completely dominated the LOS and kept Trask clean almost every play. I have not seen that kind of line play in Gainesville since Charley Pell's Great Wall in 1984. It was incredible.

The Gator O line played like champions yesterday. They completely dominated the LOS and kept Trask clean almost every play. I have not seen that kind of line play in Gainesville since Charley Pell's Great Wall in 1984. It was incredible.

Georgia did what they could, cheap-shotting and knocking out a couple of our olinemen (although I have to say they did it VERY cleverly against one, because it didn't look like anybody touched him. You have to be a VERY good cheap shotter to make a dirty play from 6 feet away.)

FWIW as bad as our defense has been playing Bama gave up more yards and more offensive points than we did against UGA. I’d pick Bama to beat us if we were playing today but I don’t see a lot of defense being played anywhere in college football right now.

Reactions: instaGATOR
FWIW as bad as our defense has been playing Bama gave up more yards and more offensive points than we did against UGA.

Grantham's Defense as UF DC:

2018 - 10-3

Loss to 11-3 UGly
Loss to 10-3 UK
Loss to 8-5 Mizzou
With 10 wins.
Beat 10-3 LSU
Beat 10-3 Mich
Beat 8-5 MsSt
Finished in the Top 10 in the Nation in Total D.

2019 - 11-2
Loss to 15-0 LSU
Loss to 12-2 UGly
With 11 wins.
Beat 9-4 AU
Beat 9-5 Va
Beat 8-5 UK
Beat 8-5 Tenn
Finished in the Top 10 in the Nation in Total D.

2020 - 4-1 so far.
Loss to #5-6 @ aTm by -3 (5-1)
Beat #5 UGly by +16 (4-2)

Grantham's W/L Record at UF is 25-6 (.806)

So far, Grantham's D has lost to teams with a combined record of 52-14 (.788)

Only one that can be called a bad loss imo was to 8-5 Mizzou in his 1st season.

All losses coming from SEC bowl teams, with 3 of 6 to NC Playoff teams.

Mullen and Grantham are still playing games without a team that they've recruited.

They look to be on schedule in returning UF to SEC & Playoff contention. Exceeding all expectation so far... 🤓

Whiners gonna whine....
😏

Now it's time for a little '3rd & Grantham' information....

Florida allowed Georgia to convert just two of its 13 third downs (15.4 percent).

- Although it fell into a 14-0 hole and gave up 136 yards on Georgia’s first two possessions, the Gators’ defense responded and allowed just 141 yards on 51 plays (2.76 yards per play).

• The Gators snared 3 interceptions in the win over Georgia, setting a season high for takeaways.
Last year, the Gators, Florida Atlantic, Oklahoma State, San Diego State, and Tennessee were the only FBS teams with at least 3 interceptions in 3 different games (UF had 3 against Kentucky, Tennessee, and Auburn).

- UF has 8 takeaways this season, bringing its total since the start of 2018 up to 57 -- which is tied for 11th among FBS teams.
- The Gators are 3rd in the SEC in tackles for loss per game this season (6.4).
- UF is coming off its 4th win over an AP Top-10 team with Grantham as the DC. 🤓

Now it's time for a little '3rd & Grantham' information....

Florida allowed Georgia to convert just two of its 13 third downs (15.4 percent).

- Although it fell into a 14-0 hole and gave up 136 yards on Georgia’s first two possessions, the Gators’ defense responded and allowed just 141 yards on 51 plays (2.76 yards per play).

• The Gators snared 3 interceptions in the win over Georgia, setting a season high for takeaways.
Last year, the Gators, Florida Atlantic, Oklahoma State, San Diego State, and Tennessee were the only FBS teams with at least 3 interceptions in 3 different games (UF had 3 against Kentucky, Tennessee, and Auburn).

- UF has 8 takeaways this season, bringing its total since the start of 2018 up to 57 -- which is tied for 11th among FBS teams.
- The Gators are 3rd in the SEC in tackles for loss per game this season (6.4).
- UF is coming off its 4th win over an AP Top-10 team with Grantham as the DC. 🤓

And they had guys running wide open all over the place, and on their last score we did that thing AGAIN where the delayed blitz is coming from so far away it has no impact on the QB.

Florida's defense is still not good, we have just been playing bad offenses the past two weeks.

As usual, cherry picking the stats/facts at it's finest.... 😏

But this much is true, Grantham hasn't made a single play out of the field on defense.... :rolleyes:

As usual, cherry picking the stats/facts at it's finest.... 😏

But this much is true, Grantham hasn't made a single play out of the field on defense.... :rolleyes:

You can continue to spout your "facts". Doesn't change the reality that his defensive structure doesn't work.

You can continue to spout your "facts". Doesn't change the reality that his defensive structure doesn't work.

What you don't seem to ever get is that YOUR constant repeating of biased stupidity doesn't make it true. And not MY FACTS, straight from his official UF Bio: 🤓

In Grantham’s two seasons, the defense has registered 49 takeaways, tied for 6th-most in the nation over that span. With a turnover margin of plus-12 in 2018 and plus-five in 2019, UF also finished with a turnover margin of at least plus-five in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2014 and 2015.

The Gator defense has been distributive in their ability to rush the passer and force turnovers. Florida ranked 5th nationally with 49 sacks, leading the SEC by a whopping 12. In total, Grantham’s defense registered 102 tackles for loss on the season, tying for 11th nationally and leading the SEC by six.

For the rest of the story,,,,

I will say this. I’m not a Grantham supporter but I do think the defense has improved since the beginning of the year. Yes there still are problems. The secondary issues I’m seeing I don’t think are schematic but rather personnel.

I will say this. I’m not a Grantham supporter but I do think the defense has improved since the beginning of the year. Yes there still are problems. The secondary issues I’m seeing I don’t think are schematic.

Maybe it's improved, maybe Missouri and Georgia just aren't very good. Jury will remain out for a while; we have 4 games coming up where the offenses will be pretty pedestrian. But at least it's good to see that we have gotten back to form where we can hold down the bad offenses.

LSU we will see, and Bama seems pretty potent. Hoping we can be "potenter". I just don't think we have the defense for title contention, and I don't think we ever will under Grantham.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Maybe it's improved, maybe Missouri and Georgia just aren't very good. Jury will remain out for a while; we have 4 games coming up where the offenses will be pretty pedestrian. But at least it's good to see that we have gotten back to form where we can hold down the bad offenses.

LSU we will see, and Bama seems pretty potent. Hoping we can be "potenter". I just don't think we have the defense for title contention, and I don't think we ever will under Grantham.
Yes I don’t think Mizzou or UGAs offense is very good. We did hold UGA to less yards and less points than Bama’s D did.

Insta will continue to love Grantham and Mike White and any Gator coach until they get fired, and then he'll make fun of them as always.

Hell, he even defends Mike White by pointing out how bad of shape the program was due to Billy Donovan.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
I will say this. I’m not a Grantham supporter but I do think the defense has improved since the beginning of the year. Yes there still are problems. The secondary issues I’m seeing I don’t think are schematic but rather personnel.
Felipe will exploit our DB‘s if they let the receivers get behind them like in the UGA game.

Sacks vs Ark/Franks:

SDE Carter - 1
OLB Burney - 1
-----
DT Campbell - .5
ILB Miller - .5
OLB Hooper - .5
OLB Umanmielen - .5

~~ Plus the D had 8 TFL split up between 9 players

The 75/25 Safeties are still a weak point imo, but even they are improving from being 50/50's in the 1st 2-3 games....

:cool:

Sacks vs Ark/Franks:

SDE Carter - 1
OLB Burney - 1
-----
DT Campbell - .5
ILB Miller - .5
OLB Hooper - .5
OLB Umanmielen - .5

The 75/25 Safeties are still a weak point imo, but even they are improving from being 50/50's in the 1st 2-3 games....

There is definitely improvement. Just look at third down conversion rate first three games compared to the last three.

Sacks vs Ark/Franks:

SDE Carter - 1
OLB Burney - 1
-----
DT Campbell - .5
ILB Miller - .5
OLB Hooper - .5
OLB Umanmielen - .5

Burned for 3 big plays against 3-3 Arkansas. How many big plays will Bama get against us with that offense? 6? 8? We have a championship level offense and a defense pulling it down. That should never happen at UF.

DO NOT THINK you will be allowed to plead Grantham's case after we beat the sad sacks left on our schedule, such as Vandy and Kentucky and Tennessee (are we playing LSU or not?). As Grantham has shown, he has the ability to allow bad offenses to stop themselves. And that is what we will get these next few weeks. But he has never shown the ability to stop, or even slow down, good offenses, which is what we will get against Bama.

He needs to go. We can never make the next step with him on the sideline.

Hurry up little Lizzy, and inform Dan that you're a lot smarter than he'll ever be.... :rolleyes:

No worries pea brain, Mullen sees it too.

Of course, and that's obviously why when Grantham was offered several jobs by other schools and the NFL, that Dan made him Ast-HC and got him a nice raise to keep him, instead of encouraging him to take one of those other offered jobs.... :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT