ADVERTISEMENT

Saban's 2008 turnaround at Bama...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Just doing a little daydreaming and was curious how that actually went down to have a turnaround like that in year 2 after a mediocre year 1.

Saban playing with mostly Shula players his first year there in 2007 went 7-6 with a big upset loss to Louisiana Monroe I think it was. Was there some signs there the team was set up to possibly take off the next season.

Here is some info on the season of that 2007 team.

They had a game managing QB Wilson.
They never lost by more than a TD.
They went 2-3 against opponents ranked in the top 25 at game time.
Saban's 1st 2007 class (#12 ranked class) didn't produce a lot of top talent like his classes since then so very few of those true freshman saw the field much in 2007.
Shula had alright recruiting classes prior to Saban but nothing great. Probably in that #12 or so area usually if I remember right.

Some info on the 2008 season.

Still had game managing QB Wilson.
Saban's 2nd 2008 class (#3 ranked class but clearly the top class that year judging things later) produced a bunch of top talent and quite a few of those true freshman were getting significant playing time with a few starting by the end of the 2008 regular season.
It was very apparent that many Bama football players were taking "deer antler velvet" for performance enhancement starting in 2008 also.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Just doing a little daydreaming and was curious how that actually went down to have a turnaround like that in year 2 after a mediocre year 1.

Saban playing with mostly Shula players his first year there in 2007 went 7-6 with a big upset loss to Louisiana Monroe I think it was. Was there some signs there the team was set up to possibly take off the next season.

Here is some info on the season of that 2007 team.

They had a game managing QB Wilson.
They never lost by more than a TD.
They went 2-3 against opponents ranked in the top 25 at game time.
Saban's 1st 2007 class (#12 ranked class) didn't produce a lot of top talent like his classes since then so very few of those true freshman saw the field much in 2007.
Shula had alright recruiting classes prior to Saban but nothing great. Probably in that #12 or so area usually if I remember right.

Some info on the 2008 season.

Still had game managing QB Wilson.
Saban's 2nd 2008 class (#3 ranked class but clearly the top class that year judging things later) produced a bunch of top talent and quite a few of those true freshman were getting significant playing time with a few starting by the end of the 2008 regular season.
It was very apparent that many Bama football players were taking "deer antler velvet" for performance enhancement starting in 2008 also.
Early on Saban and the staff he hired were master developers. That in my opinion was the basis for his success. Then he started getting the cream of the crop because they knew he’d get them to the NFL. I think the last few years he’s been more focused on recruiting and hired staff that maybe weren’t quite the developers of the earlier staffs.

Reactions: Gator Fever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT