ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits who have not lived up to the hype

Ronald Powell was kinda meh. He went through the transition to Muschamp and it seemed as soon as he was growing into the Buck position injury got him.

As for Ivey...it is absolutely a product of sucky coaching resulting in a sucky unit. We’ll see what happens this year.

sadgator honestly had no idea we even had a player named Antonneous Clayton until he read this article.

I always thought ivey played well

LT Martez Ivey 6-5 315 Sr -- Every OL wants to be LT, but very few can do that job well.
It's the 'glory' position for the OL, and the highest paid at the NFL level, so that's understandable.

I believe that Ivey's best position is at LG, not at tackle. IMOHO, he's just not big/strong/quick enough to keep the best edge rushers away from the QB for 5 seconds, sometime not even for 3 seconds. However, he plays very well inside at LG. If he wants the NFL, IMO he should spend 2018 perfecting the LG position. Center is the #2 OL position, and he might well have missed his best boat by not playing center all along....

2014 - Apopka Class 8A State Champs.
HS Army AA, Parade AA, MaxPreps AA 1st Team, Nike 'Opening', FL 2013-14 1st Team All State. #1 OT 5 star Rating from the recruiting service.

2015 - 12 Gms, final 8 Gms as starting LG - SEC Coaches All Fr Team.

2016 - 13 Gms, 12 starts, 11 at LG - SEC Coaches 2nd Team All SEC,,, among others.

2017 - 11 Gms, 9 starts at LT, final 2 at LG - SEC Coaches & AP 2nd Team All SEC

So I don't think that he missed out on his HS hype, I just think that the 'hype' had his college position incorrect.
=====

#2 DE Antonneous Clayton 6-2 218 Fr
2015 - A 4-5 star and a Top 10/50 1st Team All State, UA-AA out of Georgia

"His college career got off to an unlucky start, he lost a significant amount of weight from an illness."
He was undersized for a DE to begin with, and then he got sick as a tFr.
And then he suffered a season-ending injury prior to the UF’s game at FSUcks.

2017 - 6-2 220 - Getting his health back and finally starting to put some weight back on.
Played 9 Gms as a reserve DL behind bigger, better, and more experienced players.

2018 6-2 254 Jr - Now he finally looks like the player that UF wanted when they recruited him. A high potential player that has finally begun to come into his own, I'm hoping....
HS recruiting hype is undetermined so far, 2018-19 will tell the tale.
=========

For Ivey and Clayton, the hype is a lot like the recruit rankings, always questionable stuff that rarely has the whole story included in it's own hype/ratings.... :cool:
-----

I don't follow the others so I'll only say that from the outside, Cowart looks like he did UF a favor when he flipped to AU, saving UF a ship for a better player/person... ;)

Last edited:
LT Martez Ivey 6-5 315 Sr -- Every OL wants to be LT, but very few can do that job well.
It's the 'glory' position for the OL, and the highest paid at the NFL level, so that's understandable.

I believe that Ivey's best position is at LG, not at tackle. IMOHO, he's just not big/strong/quick enough to keep the best edge rushers away from the QB for 5 seconds, sometime not even for 3 seconds. However, he plays very well inside at LG. If he wants the NFL, IMO he should spend 2018 perfecting the LG position. Center is the #2 OL position, and he might well have missed his best boat by not playing center all along....

2014 - Apopka Class 8A State Champs.
HS Army AA, Parade AA, MaxPreps AA 1st Team, Nike 'Opening', FL 2013-14 1st Team All State. #1 OT 5 star Rating from the recruiting service.

2015 - 12 Gms, final 8 Gms as starting LG - SEC Coaches All Fr Team.

2016 - 13 Gms, 12 starts, 11 at LG - SEC Coaches 2nd Team All SEC,,, among others.

2017 - 11 Gms, 9 starts at LT, final 2 at LG - SEC Coaches & AP 2nd Team All SEC

So I don't think that he missed out on his HS hype, I just think that the 'hype' had his college position incorrect.
=====

#2 DE Antonneous Clayton 6-2 218 Fr
2015 - A 4-5 star and a Top 10/50 1st Team All State, UA-AA out of Georgia

"His college career got off to an unlucky start, he lost a significant amount of weight from an illness."
He was undersized for a DE to begin with, and then he got sick as a tFr.
And then he suffered a season-ending injury prior to the UF’s game at FSUcks.

2017 - 6-2 220 - Getting his health back and finally starting to put some weight back on.
2017: 9 Gms as a reserve DL behind bigger, better, and more experienced players.

2018 6-2 254 Jr - Now he finally looks like the player that UF wanted when they recruited him. A high potential player that has finally begun to come into his own, I'm hoping....
=========

For Ivey and Clayton, the hype is a lot like the recruit rankings, always questionable stuff that rarely has the whole story included in it's own hype/ratings.... :cool:
-----

I don't follow the others so I'll only say that from the outside, Cowart looks like he did UF a favor when he flipped to AU, saving UF a ship for a better player/person... ;)

Cowart would have made 3 Lizzerd busts?:eek:

Hard to bust on Ivey too much. When you read reports of the almost criminal amount of negelect that strength training saw under Mac. The kid was woefully under-trained and under-coached. Hopefully he has a great year now that he will see real strength training and some quality coaching

Ivey is a very good guard. Unfortunately the oline has been so bad and underdeveloped and lack of talent that he’s had to play tackle. He will be a guard in the NFL.

Reactions: sadgator
Ivey is a very good guard. Unfortunately the oline has been so bad and underdeveloped and lack of talent that he’s had to play tackle. He will be a guard in the NFL.

I doubt that myself. I see him as a Tackle this season and in the NFL. His reaction time when his brain isn't freezing is good enough to play Tackle in the NFL I think.

Reactions: dakid_0812
I don't think Ivey's been all that bad. He's been in an awful situation all-around; cupboard was bare when he arrived, so he was forced to play a major role as a true freshman - which virtually never works out well. OL typically are just not ready, mentally or physically, to play right away in college. His situation was made all the worse by being stuck playing a major role in an offense that didn't have a great deal of talent around him & that was very poorly coached.
Most of the others on the list, I'd agree with (I'd probably have Henry higher on the list, maybe in the top 3).

I don't think Ivey's been all that bad. He's been in an awful situation all-around; cupboard was bare when he arrived, so he was forced to play a major role as a true freshman - which virtually never works out well. OL typically are just not ready, mentally or physically, to play right away in college. His situation was made all the worse by being stuck playing a major role in an offense that didn't have a great deal of talent around him & that was very poorly coached.
Most of the others on the list, I'd agree with (I'd probably have Henry higher on the list, maybe in the top 3).

Agree. Ivey is gonna leave here a 4 year starter and has already made All-SEC twice, that’s in no way a bust. People just expect 5-stars to be otherworldly for some reason to the point where just being good isn’t good enough. He hasn’t been dominant but who would be in that garbage McElwain offense.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Agree. Ivey is gonna leave here a 4 year starter and has already made All-SEC twice, that’s in no way a bust. People just expect 5-stars to be otherworldly for some reason to the point where just being good isn’t good enough. He hasn’t been dominant but who would be in that garbage McElwain offense.

We need to find players like Maurkice Pouncey again on the O line. He held his own real well as a true freshman. Heck Bama has had a few true freshmen in recent years that have started and kept top grade NFL talent defensive linemen in check. They are rare but there are some out there.

We need to find players like Maurkice Pouncey again on the O line. He held his own real well as a true freshman. Heck Bama has had a few true freshmen in recent years that have started and kept top grade NFL talent defensive linemen in check. They are rare but there are some out there.

I’m all for that but those types don’t come along often man. Both Pouncey’s have been Pro Bowlers since their first year in the league. They’ve even had a few All-Pro selections. That’s special.

Reactions: Gator Fever

Meh...it is when he was a top recruit to be a dominating LT.

Being a good guard is a disappointment in that context.

Martez Ivey is a talented football player and he’s not a bust. However he is a guard. That is his best position.

Meh...it is when he was a top recruit to be a dominating LT.

Being a good guard is a disappointment in that context.

Can see that. But if I remember it right he blocked in like a wing-t offense where he was always run blocking and pulling. So basically the responsibilities of a guard. His 5-star projection at tackle was almost 100% based on him being crazy athletic but he never really displayed tackle skills. And then Mac and Nuss happened.

Can see that. But if I remember it right he blocked in like a wing-t offense where he was always run blocking and pulling. So basically the responsibilities of a guard. His 5-star projection at tackle was almost 100% based on him being crazy athletic but he never really displayed tackle skills. And then Mac and Nuss happened.
You are correct. He played at Apopka high school. They run the ball 90% of the time. Ivey only basically run blocked his entire high school career. And again he’s not a tackle. He’s a guard. That is his best position.

Reactions: oozie7

I mean....that would make sense, right?

Neither coach envisioned passing the ball effectively.

ADVERTISEMENT