ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting - early signing day just ahead....

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2019/all-teams/football

Some late movement going on and we will move up some places but hard to see us not being in the teens on Rivals after the early signing period.

I think Mullen needs to bring in a known good recruiter if possible for the classes after the 2019 class.

Our main issue compared to the top teams in recruiting is we are getting more of the 5.8 level blue chippers than the 5.9, 6.0 and 5 star blue chippers.

To get where we need to be in the SEC classes outside the top 10 and not having some years where you are getting top 5 level classes won't get you SEC Championships or put you in position for National Championships. We also have the Georgia situation now where he is stockpiling Bama level talent.

SEC classes that don't even make the top 5 of the SEC will not cut it.

Recruiting is going very good. Dan knows what he is doing and has a plan and he is filling needs. The 2020 & 2021 classes will be Elite.

We know Dan can flat out coach. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: testy524
Because it isn't where it needs to be - that is why. So far that article about August appears to be right with its claims about SEC recruiting.

Yep, still the incessant fevered 'barkin' at da moon' crappola..... :rolleyes:

The biggest needs for the 2019 class were said to be at OL and LB, along with another QB-dt:

QB-dt Jalon Jones 6-4 205 4.45/40 at Elite-11- Baltimore, MD (247-#6 QB-dt ****)
Offers: UF Hard Commit - UA, MsSt, Miss, TN - UL, Ore, tOSU MichSt, VaT.
He will be an Early Enrollee, so he's in the Spring QB competition.
-----
Ath/OLB Diwun Black 6-4 230 - Forest, MS (247-#3 ILB - E-#4 OLB ****)
Offers: UF 100% - Ark, AU, Ms, MsSt, TN - TX, USCw
~ 247 lists him as the #3 ILB.-- Ole Miss Flip

ILB Mohamoud Diabate 6-4 220 - Auburn, Al. (247- #8 OLB **** - #12 DEw)
Offers: UF - UA-AU-LSU-MS-MsSt-SCa-aTm-VU--FSU-Mich-Neb-GaT-UL-VA

ILB Jammal Abrams 6-3 224 - Birmingham, AL (E-#24 ILB ***)
Offers: UF 100% - Miss, UL, Ore, Memp, Fl-Atl, UAB

OLB Tyron Hopper 6-2 205 - Roswell, GA (247-#18 OLB ****, Top 150)
Offers: UF 100% - UA, UK, MsSt, Miss, SCa, TN - GaT, Mia, N.C. USF, WVa.

OLB Jesiah Pierre 6-2 207 - Mount Dora, FL (E-#30 OLB ****)
Offers: UF--UGA-UK---Mia-Neb-NC (scUM flip)

~ 2018 xfer in - ILB Umstead Sanders 6-2 240 Jr *** - Juco P-WO
-----
OT Michael Tarquin 6-5 290 **** - Citra, FL (247-#23 OT ****)
Offers: UF - AU-UGA-LSU-MsSt-Miz-SCa-TN-aTm.-- Mia flip
Clem-FSU-Mia-Mich-Neb-tOSU-OK-Ore-USF-UCF-USCw

OT Ethan White 6-5 315 - Clearwater, FL (E-#11 OG ****)
Offers: UF Hard Commit - UL, Neb, N.C, WVa, Pitt, USF, UCF BC, Duke

OG Wardrick Wilson 6-4 295 - Miami, FL (247-#33 OT ****) -- EE
Offers: UF Hard Commit - MsSt, UK, LSU, Miz - UL, Mich, Neb, NCSt, USF

OG Riley Simonds 6-3.5 324 -- Buford, GA (247-#18 OG ***) - way under-rated
Offers: UF -- UA-AU-Ark-aTm-LSU-Ms-MsSt-SCa-UK-VU - 11 SEC's
Colo-GaT-KSt-MichSt-Neb-Ore-UL-Va-VaT

OC Kingsley Eguakum 6-3 293 *** - Jacksonville, FL (E-#7 OC ***)
Offers: UF - UA TN - Mia, UL, UCF, USF, UAB -- Mia-Flip

And 15 of the already committed 18 are projected ESD LOI's.

The MAJOR needs have been met, while it's still months away from NSD. More quality recruits will be added between now an then, just like last year. o_O

Recruiting is going very good. Dan knows what he is doing and has a plan and he is filling needs. The 2020 & 2021 classes will be Elite.

It may end up good but it is very substandard right now if you want to be winning SEC Championships. Georgia, Bama, A&M etc are blowing us away at this point getting the top talent. We are not even hardly beating teams like Tennessee and Arkansas in recruiting.

Bama, Georgia and LSU are the only teams in the SEC we have any excuse to not be in front of in recruiting every year since we are in Florida.

I don't care about kids in classes way down the line until they are recruits that actual year as most don't even end up at the school they first name. The 2019 class is what is the here and now and hopefully we step things up.

Have to see next Weds but should end up Top 10-12 unless we either pop Sanders (top 6-7) or miss on a top target that should sign.

I don't disagree - we do need to get in the top elite players if, year in year out we're pushing for SEC championships but recruiting wise, this is a 3-4 year rebuild. 9-10 wins doesn't change that.

Our % of Blue Chippers last year was 66% and should be about the same this year - that's a great base to have an elite recruiting 2020 and 2021.

We are leaps and bounds ahead of the last 2 staffs in terms of balance and quality. For now that's more than good enough. One step at a time.

Have to see next Weds but should end up Top 10-12 unless we either pop Sanders (top 6-7) or miss on a top target that should sign.

I don't disagree - we do need to get in the top elite players if, year in year out we're pushing for SEC championships but recruiting wise, this is a 3-4 year rebuild. 9-10 wins doesn't change that.

Our % of Blue Chippers last year was 66% and should be about the same this year - that's a great base to have an elite recruiting 2020 and 2021.

We are leaps and bounds ahead of the last 2 staffs in terms of balance and quality. For now that's more than good enough. One step at a time.

We need more of the highly ranked recruits 5.9 and above like Steele (I know one person that always claims a 5 star defensive recruit from CA is usually equivalent to a lower 4 star defensive recruit from the rest of the country but I haven't seen any numbers to back that claim up) to sign here. It sounds like we have a good chance to get him but Muschamp is making a late push to get him and he is friends with one of their recruits from CA. I think he says he won't officially announce until just after the holidays.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Fever...

giphy.gif

We need more of the highly ranked recruits 5.9 and above like Steele (I know one person that always claims a 5 star defensive recruit from CA is usually equivalent to a lower 4 star defensive recruit from the rest of the country but I haven't seen any numbers to back that claim up) to sign here. It sounds like we have a good chance to get him but Muschamp is making a late push to get him and he is friends with one of their recruits from CA. I think he says he won't officially announce until just after the holidays.

I agree. You do have to be encouraged with the tragectory of recruiting though and the fact we are at least getting visits with top talent. We've been way off for 3+ years. In addition you have to be pleased with the fact there's balance in recruiting and the glaring holes we have are getting smaller.

Next step are top 5 classes in 2020 imo.

I agree Paco.

I do think that Fever's overall point is very valid though. If we are going to get to and stay at championship levels you have to be Top 5 year in/out, plus or minus a year here and there.

It just feels like we're en route. I'll enjoy the process.

Also - we probably will end up with the best LB and Secondary class we've had in 10 years. That speaks to how terrible things have been but both positions should be legit on the recruiting side.

I agree Paco.

I do think that Fever's overall point is very valid though. If we are going to get to and stay at championship levels you have to be Top 5 year in/out, plus or minus a year here and there.

It just feels like we're en route. I'll enjoy the process.

I hope you are right but every year we aren't near the top teams is another year in delay with getting there. I could live with it getting done starting with the 2020 class but will still be a little nervous with the situation after signing day if we don't make a big move into the top 10 this class.

Keep in mind that UF's 3 stars continue to go to the NFL, after having very good careeres at UF. Guys like DE Polite happen all the time, so I don't worry about what some amature star giver thinks a kids potential is going to be, I'm a lot more interested in what the Gator coaching staff can accomplish with a solid student/athlete than I will ever be with class rankings.
=====

5. Tennis-sea
23. UF

5. Tennis-sea
8. UF

Tennis-sea's average class was #5
UF's average class was 15.5

So, how have those B-2-B #5 Classes worked out for the rubber dolies? :cool:

Keep in mind that UF's 3 stars continue to go to the NFL, after having very good careeres at UF. Guys like DE Polite happen all the time, so I don't worry about what some amature star giver thinks a kids potential is going to be, I'm a lot more interested in what the Gator coaching staff can accomplish with a solid student/athlete than I will ever be with class rankings.
=====

5. Tennis-sea
23. UF

5. Tennis-sea
8. UF

Tennis-sea's average class was #5
UF's average class was 15.5

So, how have those B-2-B #5 Classes worked out for the rubber dolies? :cool:

Class rankings almost always will tell you if you have a realistic chance for the SEC or National Championship if you are an SEC team. I think Auburn was the only team in recent years to buck that trend just a bit but they had Cam Newton winning probably 4 games they don't win otherwise. Clemson showed you can be down the list a little bit due to smaller classes some years if you are getting the key elite players at the top of the individual recruiting rankings.

There is nothing suggesting recruiting rankings in the teens most years with mostly 5.8 four star recruits will put you in that position.

Now we’re differentiating 4-star recruits because we can’t complain about not getting 4-star recruits anymore. Convenient. Any data to back your 5.8 vs. 5.9 or 6.0 4-star argument? Because the vast majority of 4-stars are 5.8. So I find what you’re arguing hard to believe. Nobody even bothered to differentiate those in class rankings before now.

Now we’re differentiating 4-star recruits because we can’t complain about not getting 4-star recruits anymore. Convenient. Any data to back your 5.8 vs. 5.9 or 6.0 4-star argument? Because the vast majority of 4-stars are 5.8. So I find what you’re arguing hard to believe. Nobody even bothered to differentiate those in class rankings before now.
Fever will try just about anything he can.

And just to confirm what I already knew Rivals only gives the 6.0 designation to numbers 30-55 in the Rivals 100, so only 25 recruits. And then 5.9 from 56-169. A recruit can legit move up a handful of spots and go from 5.8 to 5.9. It’s really meaningless. There’s almost no difference once you move past the top 50 prospects or so. From there it’s all about who fits what you want to do.

Reactions: PacoGator19
So, how good is Dan and his staff at their jobs?
Recruiting Class Rankings and number of recruits:

2015 #23 - 21
2016 #14 - 25
2017 #9 - 23
2018 #17 - 18
Average Class Ranking 15.8
Average number in class = 22

With that for a roster, coming off a 4-7 season, in Dan's 1st year....
They finished 9-3, #10 CFP ranking, with a New Years 6 Bowl.

I'd say that was an OUTSTANDING job by Dan and his staff!

And just to confirm what I already knew Rivals only gives the 6.0 designation to numbers 30-55 in the Rivals 100, so only 25 recruits. And then 5.9 from 56-169. A recruit can legit move up a handful of spots and go from 5.8 to 5.9. It’s really meaningless. There’s almost no difference once you move past the top 50 prospects or so. From there it’s all about who fits what you want to do.

I think what Fever and I agree though is that you need those top elite guys like a harvin tebow spikes to get your class over the top the championship level. Those two or three guys in addition to what we are currently bringing in is what makes for championships. I think overall that's really his main point although he loves to argue LOL

Dan can coach....right now fsu is ahead of UF after our disaster on the field the last 2 yrs. If Dan signs a master recruiter....i would feel scared. Hes not a bad recruiter but i dont think he is elite like Jimbo or Meyer was.

We have a class of 6 oline man right now and may even add more, which makes up one third of the recruiting class right now. We have a class of 3 LBers. We are filling needs unlike what Mac and Muschump did with unbalanced classes.

Recruiting is going very good.

We have 1 o lineman lol

The 2 guys most likely to leave early for the NFL were both 3 stars...

DE Jachai Polite *** 5.6
RT Jawaan Taylor *** 5.5
=====

S Donovan Stiner *** 5.7
S Shawn Davis *** 5.6
S Quincy Lenton *** 5.6
OLB Kylan Johnson *** 5.6
ILB/OLB Vosean Joseph *** 5.6
ILB David Reese *** 5.7
ILB/OLB James Houston *** 5.7
OLB Ventrell Miller *** 5.7
OLB/DE Jeremiah Moon *** 5.7
DE Jordan Smith *** 5.6
DE Jabari Ziniga *** 5.5
-----
RT/RG Fred Johnson *** 5.5
LG/RG Tyler Jordan *** 5.7
C/OG Nick Buchanan *** 5.5
LG/C Brett Heggie *** 5.7
LT Stone Forsythe *** 5.6
Ath Kadarius Toney *** 5.6
==========

2018, even according to rivals, Dan's 1st small class had 14 ****'s 4 ***'s . o_O

15 of Dan's current 2019 18 commits have a 4 star ranking in at least one of the services.

I guess that 2 star choke-la-homo fans are using dust-bowl math to come up with 3 star Dan... And that's another reason that the choker got his head-nailed-to-da-flor.... :cool:

Go look at Bama etc. and them and see why they get so many recruiting points for their blue chippers. Its because they are getting the top ranked 4 stars that are in the top 170 rankings or so of players. We are lagging there and only have I think 2 of them so far.

Of course there are busts and players that excel well over their projections but the higher the rating the better chance they end up being a top player.

Makes me wonder why NONE of the top coaches say that they follow recruiting stars to chose who they recruit.... :confused:-- :oops: --- :rolleyes: ---- o_O ----- :cool:

There's a cart and a horse in there somewhere... ;)

Makes me wonder why NONE of the top coaches say that they follow recruiting stars to chose who they recruit.... :confused:-- :oops: --- :rolleyes: ---- o_O ----- :cool:

There's a cart and a horse in there somewhere... ;)

Yep the top coaches just seem to land the most of them. The recruiting services definitely follow who the top coaches are going after however.

Yep the top coaches just seem to land the most of them.
The recruiting services definitely follow who the top coaches are going after however.

Which is why I use recruits utube highlight and their coaching offers, with just a little weight given to the stars. Perine was a 3 star RB to UF, until Saban attempted to flip him. At the end because of that, rivals slipped him a 4th star. It was post season, so what was rivals basing their 4th star rating on? :cool:

While not 100% either, ESPN does the best evaluations on the recruits, imoho.
If I'm going to use stars, then I chose to use a recruits best ranking from whichever service.
Service stars and rankings are only good for fan-fodder on the boards, not much else. I'll use them as such, but it's mostly just for entertainment purposes... o_O

Go look at Bama etc. and them and see why they get so many recruiting points for their blue chippers. Its because they are getting the top ranked 4 stars that are in the top 170 rankings or so of players. We are lagging there and only have I think 2 of them so far.

Of course there are busts and players that excel well over their projections but the higher the rating the better chance they end up being a top player.

Nobody disagrees with that overall but the difference between a 6.0 or 5.9 or 5.8 could be a handful of spots. Who cares? If a guy is ranked 169 he’s a 5.9 and if he’s 170 he’s a 5.8. That one spot determines one player is gonna be better than the other? The rankings aren’t that exact. Sign as many 4 and 5-stars as possible and with good coaching it’ll work out.

Nobody disagrees with that overall but the difference between a 6.0 or 5.9 or 5.8 could be a handful of spots. Who cares? If a guy is ranked 169 he’s a 5.9 and if he’s 170 he’s a 5.8. That one spot determines one player is gonna be better than the other? The rankings aren’t that exact. Sign as many 4 and 5-stars as possible and with good coaching it’ll work out.

Currently:

Bama - 21 blue chippers with seven 5.9 recruits, one 6.0 recruit and two 5 star recruits
GA - 17 blue chippers with six 5.9 recruits, three 6.0 recruits and two 5 star recruits
A&M - 16 blue chippers with six 5.9 recruits and two 5 star recruits
LSU - 11 blue chippers with five 5.9 recruits, one 6.0 recruit and three 5 star recruits
Aub - 10 blue chippers with two 5.9 recruits, one 6.0 recruit and two 5 star recruits
Ark - 12 blue chippers with three 5.9 recruits
Tenn - 10 blue chippers with two 5.9 recruits

FL - 9 blue chippers with two 5.9 recruits
-----------------------

I fully expect us to pass Arkansas and Tenn but that is concerning especially looking at the top 4 teams there.

ILB David Reese *** 5.7
DE Jachai Polite *** 5.6
Ath Kadarius Toney *** 5.6
RT Jawaan Taylor *** 5.5
DE Jabari Ziniga *** 5.5
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2019/all-teams/football

Some late movement going on and we will move up some places but hard to see us not being in the teens on Rivals after the early signing period.

I think Mullen needs to bring in a known good recruiter if possible for the classes after the 2019 class.

Our main issue compared to the top teams in recruiting is we are getting more of the 5.8 level blue chippers than the 5.9, 6.0 and 5 star blue chippers.

To get where we need to be in the SEC classes outside the top 10 and not having some years where you are getting top 5 level classes won't get you SEC Championships or put you in position for National Championships. We also have the Georgia situation now where he is stockpiling Bama level talent.

SEC classes that don't even make the top 5 of the SEC will not cut it.

23v7zx.jpg

The head-nailed-to-da-flor choke-la-homo agrees with the fevered moe-ron.... :eek:

A Top Class is virtually guaranteed now...

mail

mail

I just know we're 9-3, ranked in the top 10 heading to a major bowl. I'm very pleased. We're heading in the right direction and there seems to be a lot of buzz about this class, especially the fact that needs are being fully addressed. We all want a Top 5 class and if we keep winning games we'll get there. Mullen has done a great job, IMO, and the s**tstorm he inherited isn't going to be fixed overnight.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Dan can coach....right now fsu is ahead of UF after our disaster on the field the last 2 yrs. If Dan signs a master recruiter....i would feel scared. Hes not a bad recruiter but i dont think he is elite like Jimbo or Meyer was.
Time will tell but he's never had the resources like he does at UF as a HBC...to hire a good staff...get players that want to come to a big football school that has the tradition of winning and can get it done for a lot of different reasons. It's pretty unfair to compare the state of UF to what Meyer, Jimbo or Kirby...they all were freely given day one as far as talent goes. We haven't had to reputation over the last 8 solid years that we did before that and the recruiting has been spotty/bad. All of those other coaches have done a great job with what they got IMO so you can't knock that but Mullen is exceeding EVERYONE'S expectation on almost every level.

Oh BTW not sure that your boys in Tallahassee are ahead of anyone. You look like you have a terrible coach and a disorganized program...pretty sure that's the consensus outside of some Delusionoles.

Time will tell but he's never had the resources like he does at UF as a HBC...to hire a good staff...get players that want to come to a big football school that has the tradition of winning and can get it done for a lot of different reasons. It's pretty unfair to compare the state of UF to what Meyer, Jimbo or Kirby...they all were freely given day one as far as talent goes. We haven't had to reputation over the last 8 solid years that we did before that and the recruiting has been spotty/bad. All of those other coaches have done a great job with what they got IMO so you can't knock that but Mullen is exceeding EVERYONE'S expectation on almost every level.

Oh BTW not sure that your boys in Tallahassee are ahead of anyone. You look like you have a terrible coach and a disorganized program...pretty sure that's the consensus outside of some Delusionoles.

I meant ahead in the recruiting rankings. Im just being realistic, not trying to slight Dan at all. I think hes a fantastic coach, an elite gameday coach and developer but hes not an elite recruiter so far. Hes still good at it. No coach is elite at both except saban which is why saban is who he is.

We are obviously a dumpster fire right now but we were discussing your coach, not the crap bag in tally. Not sure why you reverted to the defense mechanism of saying something bad about fsu. Its ok, i know we suck.

I meant ahead in the recruiting rankings. Im just being realistic, not trying to slight Dan at all. I think hes a fantastic coach, an elite gameday coach and developer but hes not an elite recruiter so far. Hes still good at it. No coach is elite at both except saban which is why saban is who he is.

We are obviously a dumpster fire right now but we were discussing your coach, not the crap bag in tally. Not sure why you reverted to the defense mechanism of saying something bad about fsu. Its ok, i know we suck.
lmao...fair enough.

Reactions: fsu939913
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT