ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Sad,

See your point.

When I saw Venables' tweet or whatever, I was reminded of Dabo's policy - if we take your commit to play for Clemson, no more visits.

Now Venables seems to encouraging them to take all their visits before they commit. Makes no sense !
All would be fair but love is war. Vena is still recruiting players committed elsewhere and has some visiting that are committed to other schools.

Reactions: sadgator
Norvell can’t recruit. His staff sucks outside Atkins and Haggins. Norvell has had 3 recruiting classes and they have all been ranked 20th or worse. I don’t think their 2023 class will be much better. Their ceiling is probably already only about 15th or so. He makes Dan Mullen look like a great recruiter.
I'll admit. I thought it would be nostalgia. I was expecting the 90's again. Spurrier/Bowden 2.0. Heismans and nattys for both of those coaches.

All we ended up with is Larry Jones/Doug Dickey 2.0

Napier early on, decided to bring in a tOSU backup QB:
#13 QB-pp Jack Miller 6-3 211 rsFr (3rd Yr) **** 0.8951
His 1st and only glaring mistake as I see it so far.

IMO, Napier's decision forced out this yet to play Gator roster QB:
#17 QB-dt Carlos Del Rio-Wilson 6-2 225 rsFr (2nd Yr) **** 0.9357
This made no practical sense to me.
Which would be a better fit to what Billy will be working with for 2022?
#9 QB-dt Anthony Richardson 6-4 237 **** 0.9204

Jones had graduated and was most likely leaving anyway.
Unless Kitna can transition quickly, or has other goals (coaching?), he might be gone after 2022. QB-pp #56 Jalen Kitna 6-4 210 *** 0.8609
Good kid, good QB, great family, but maybe not the best fit with Dan gone.

Pro Pocket's Kitna and Miller could likely start elsewhere at smaller D1's.
Because neither are as good as highly under-rated 2022 Fr QB Brown:

QB-dt Max Brown 6-3 200 *** 0.8374 -- HS Sr 13 Gms:
P - 167 of 235, 71.1% for 2,750 yds, 41 TD's, 4 Ints
R - 173 for 1,343 yds, 7.8 ypc, 20 TD's, 1 LPF --
😲

Or the 2023 QB Commit Stokes:
#22 QB-dt Marcus Stokes 6-2 190 **** 0.8927 -- HS Jr 13 Gms:
P - 196 of 333, 58.9% for 2,672 yds, 32 TD's, 9 Ints
R - 92 for 496 yds, 5.4 ypc, 6 TD's, 2 LPF's
I'm looking forward to seeing his HS Sr progression in 2022....
===============

The IG's projected QB's back for the 2023 Season:
The 3 Dual Threat QB's, leading and feeding an outstanding RB committee.
Richardson rsJr (if he wants a long term post football future with his UF degree)
Brown So or rsFr
Stokes Fr
And maybe Kitna or Miller if they choose to stay on the bench for deep depth?

The sad thing for me, is if Billy continues to put his personal AZ-St relationship with Miller, ahead of what's best for the Gator team, because Miller puts ZERO push on AR-15 at QB, where Del Rio-Wilson would have, and Brown can as backups. (talking season begins to end on Aug 3rd....)
😉

Alabama's coaching staff extends offer to Florida commit 2023 DB Sharif Denson​

Alabama already has four defensive back commits in the 2023 recruiting class. The class is headlined by defensive backs Jahlil Hurley, Caleb Downs, Tony Mitchell and Brayson Hubbard.

It will be interesting to see how the Tide decides to pursue Denson. ...Ideally, Alabama will sign five or six defensive backs in the 2023 class.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/l...-to-florida-commit-and-2023-db-sharif-denson/

Predictions for DL Will Norman & Kamran James

On3’s RPM gives the Gators a 63.3% chance to land Will Norman, a 6-4, 276 lb Camden, New Jersey, native who plays his high school football at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

Meanwhile, Kamran James has skyrocketed to the top of On3’s recruiting rankings; he is the No. 3 defensive lineman and No. 23 overall player in the 2023 class.

On3’s RPM gives the Gators a 96.2% chance to land the 6-5, 265 lb Olympia High School (Orlando) lineman.

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...l-norman-kamran-james-on3-prediction-machine/

Last edited:
ON3 Director of Recruiting Chad Simmons on Kelby Collins

“Based on what I’m hearing, Alabama and Florida are battling this one out,” Simmons said. Collins is expected to commit Aug 13th.

Collins was scheduled to visit the Crimson Tide twice last week before heading to Florida over the weekend for an unofficial visit. But he never made either trip to Tuscaloosa and did end up in Gainesville. The Gators have been pushing hard for him in recent months, now getting him on campus twice since June.

https://www.on3.com/news/simmons-scoop-two-team-race-for-4-star-dl-kelby-collins/

Last edited:

OT Caden Jones Updates Recruitment - 2nd Gator Visit​

Offensive tackle Caden Jones discusses what's next in his recruitment following his second visit with the Florida Gators.

Jones made his way back to Gainesville this past weekend for UF's Friday Night Lights camp, his second visit with the Gators this year, and noticed significant progress as the Gators put the finishing touches on their new Heavener Football Training Center, which is scheduled to officially open on August 14.

Napier, as well as running backs coach Jabbar Juluke, have grown close with Jones in particular. Juluke especially, as he is from New Orleans as well and coached prep ball in the area, allowing him to develop a personal bond with Jones and other Boot State prospects that many other coaches aren't quite as capable of.

"That really goes a long way because [Juluke] can kind of relate better to me than people can from other places," Jones stated. "Because not everybody is from New Orleans or Louisiana, so it goes a long way."

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...recruiting-update-caden-jones-visit-interview

4* DL Kayden McDonald - Suwanee (Georgia) North Gwinnett - stopped in for the recruiting cookout on Saturday, his third visit to the Swamp this summer.

However, the 6-foot-3-inch, 310-pound lineman has a tough decision ahead. Florida is not the only school in pursuit. The Clemson Tigers, Michigan Wolverines, Georgia Bulldogs and Michigan State Spartans are also heavily in the mix. Predictably, he plans to take his time before announcing his choice.

“I’ll make a decision in October. I’m waiting until October because when I find a home my recruitment will be 100% locked down with no visiting other schools. My mom is coordinating with my big brother’s game schedule.”
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...recruiting-kayden-mcdonald-decision-timeline/

Would be nice to clone Corey Raymond to recruit linebackers and defensive linemen.

Our Dline coach Sean Spencer is a very good recruiter. Oline and LBer a different story.
Paco,

Hopefully, our Oline coaches good at teaching & developing; but no real evidence for that as yet.

Neither one has shown much in the way of recruiting skills. While not as bad as John Hevesy, neither Sale nor Stapleton has recruited at the SEC level before.

But, I have to ask you, Paco, how much of that is their inability, & how much is NIL $$$ & the stature of the targets they went after; such as 5* OT Francis Mauigoa ?

Let's me be honest if I had that sort of athletic talent & was part of today's NIL environment, & had today's opportunity to cash in on it, I know I would go for the money - what about you ?

Paco,

Hopefully, our Oline coaches good at teaching & developing; but no real evidence for that as yet.

Neither one has shown much in the way of recruiting skills. While not as bad as John Hevesy, neither Sale nor Stapleton has recruited at the SEC level before.

But, I have to ask you, Paco, how much of that is their inability, & how much is NIL $$$ & the stature of the targets they went after; such as 5* OT Francis Mauigoa ?

Let's me be honest if I had that sort of athletic talent & was part of today's NIL environment, & had today's opportunity to cash in on it, I know I would go for the money - what about you ?
I don’t know how good of recruiters they are. It is still early on. Sale is a very good oline coach and a good developer. He’s developed some good olineman while he was at Louisiana with Napier and mainly credited with the development of O’Cyrus Torrance.

Sale joined the Gators after serving as the New York Giants' offensive line coach in 2021.

A 14-year collegiate coaching veteran, Sale spent three seasons at Louisiana (2018-20) as the Ragin' Cajuns offensive coordinator and offensive line coach under Napier.
Sale's unit produced three NFL Draft picks out of Louisiana, including Robert Hunt and Kevin Dotson in 2020, and Max Mitchell in 2022.
Easy enough for anyone to go to his bio and read it's entirety for yourselves....
https://floridagators.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/rob-sale/1469

Darnell Stapleton enters his first season with the Gators after being hired as Florida’s assistant coach/offensive line. Stapleton joined the Gators staff after spending the 2021 season with Napier at Louisiana, where he helped the Ragin' Cajuns to a Sun Belt Conference championship.

Stapleton's unit blocked for 2021 Sun Belt Conference Championship Game MVP Levi Lewis, who compiled 2,646 yards of passing, the second-best in the league, threw the third-most touchdowns in the conference (19) and ranked fifth with 203.5 passing yards per game through 13 games.

On the ground, Louisiana's offensive line helped the Ragin' Cajuns to 31 rushing touchdowns and 2,496 rushing yards, ranking 14th and 24th respectively in the nation, while placing second and third in the conference in 13 games.

Prior to Louisiana, Stapleton spent four seasons at Sam Houston State, where he was the offensive line coach and the run game coordinator from 2017-20. In 2019, the Bearkat offensive line produced a pair of All-Southland Conference selections in first teamer Colby Thomas and third teamer Tyler Edwards, who helped running back Donovan Williams finish second in the Southland in rushing with 925 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Last edited:

4-star RB Cedric Baxter is "so ready" to announce his commitment​

Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater four-star running back Cedric Baxter Jr. is revealing his college destination on the night of Aug. 10. He is deciding between Florida, Miami, Texas and Texas A&M, but has known his top school for the last few weeks. As Baxter Jr. put in, he is “so ready” to announce his commitment.

“Over the last three or four months, I have had three different schools on top of my list,” Baxter Jr. told On3. “Since late June, early July though, it has been one school. I feel confident in this school and I am ready to announce it.”

Only two of Baxter Jr.’s finalists — Florida and Texas — have a running back prospect committed in the 2023 class.

According to the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine, Texas has a commanding lead to land Baxter Jr.’s commitment at 75.9%. He has visited the Longhorns twice, including on June 10 for an official visit.

https://www.on3.com/news/4-star-rb-cedric-baxter-is-so-ready-to-announce-his-commitment/

EDIT
FWIW - Baxter to Texas

Last edited:
NIL not going our way, but Napier working hard at recruiting - Jaden Robinson, the latest to join Marcus Stokes in switching to UF.

Napier's focus on athletes from the State of Florida is paying off.

As several posters on this board have noted, TAMU's success at winning a legal (?) recruiting championship last year has generated many imitators - Miami, Texas, USC, Tenn, & others (ND ?) seem to be taking that same road.

UF & Napier, perhaps due to our administration, have not gone out of bounds throwing NIL$ around as a recruiting tool. And, of course there is only 1 NC per year, so perhaps that urge to throw money away will subside shortly.

Doubt we get a Top-10 recruiting class - too much money being thrown around - but, IMO, a Top-15 (where we currently stand in Rivals) is possible.

Next few weeks - DL class - very important.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3
NIL not going our way, but Napier working hard at recruiting - Jaden Robinson, the latest to join Marcus Stokes in switching to UF.

Napier's focus on athletes from the State of Florida is paying off.

As several posters on this board have noted, TAMU's success at winning a legal (?) recruiting championship last year has generated many imitators - Miami, Texas, USC, Tenn, & others (ND ?) seem to be taking that same road.

UF & Napier, perhaps due to our administration, have not gone out of bounds throwing NIL$ around as a recruiting tool. And, of course there is only 1 NC, so perhaps that urge to throw money away will subside shortly.

Doubt we get a Top-10 recruiting class - too much money being thrown around - but, IMO, a Top-15 (where we currently stand in Rivals) is possible.

Next few weeks - DL class - very important.

Just eyeballing what is left and who teams are targeting I would say we end up from #9 to #12. Not too bad considering most at the top are using NIL to get the very top ranked recruits

Just eyeballing what is left and who teams are targeting I would say we end up from #9 to #12. Not too bad considering most at the top are using NIL to get the very top ranked recruits
That feels right to me as well. If we flip the right 5-star towards the end that could push us up. This weekend is cricital though - we get 2-3 DLs by Sunday and we're REALLY bringing in a good group regardless.

With NIL my guess is there will be a lot of signing day flipping...

You think some of those teams playing that game will be pulling that on early signing day? It does seem a lot of teams are trying to lock in recruits prior to the season starting this year - even more than they normally do.

The current 8-13-22 Fall QB Depth Chart:
1. AR-15
2. Miller
3. Kitna
4. Brown
==========

Gator QB-dt's, now, and looking into the future:

Anthony Richardson 6-4 238 4.4/40 So **** - Gainesville, FL (on the freaks list)
Has potential as a dark-horse Heisman,,, IF he plays up to it and he stays healthy.

2022 - Max Brown 6-2 200 Fr *** - Tulsa, OK - OK Dist 3 3A MVP
2021 - P 167 of 235 71.1%, 2,750 Yds, 16.5 yds/comp 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6
14 Gms - R- 173 for 1,343 yds, 7.8 ypc, 20 TD's, 1 LPF's
😲
That's 4,000+ Yds, with 61 TD's, to 5 Turnovers.
A late under-rated 3-star Cen-Mich flip, choosing UF over Wash.

2023 - Marcus Stokes 6-2 190 **** - Ponte Vedra Bch, FL - Hard (100%) Verbal
2021: Had a breakout Jr season as a 1st year starter, leading Nease to the regional finals in Florida’s 2nd-highest classification. Went 9-4 leading the team in both passing and rushing.
P-196 of 333 58.9%, 2,672 yds, 13.6 yds/comp, 22 TD's, 9 Ints, QBR 95.3
13 Gms - R- 92 for 496 yds, 5.4 ypc, 6 TD's, 2 LPF's. -- Chose UF over PSU.

2024 - DJ Lagway - 6-3 225 *****- Willis, TX - A Commutable Offer with a UF lean.
Also plays baseball and basketball. Hopes to play baseball in college as well.
Averaged 4.9 ppg, 6.2 rpg, and 1.6 bpg for varsity B-Ball as a HS Fr in 2020-21.
2021: Starting QB as a Soph. Went 6-6 and a Texas 6A D-II 2nd-round playoff.
P- 137 of 247 55.5%, 1,579 Yds, 17TD's, 2 Ints -- R- 127 for 715 Yds, 5.6 ypc, 6 TD's.
2020: Played safety on varsity as Fr, 18 Tkl's (1 TFL). Also got limited snaps at QB.
>>> aTm is looking to buy him.....

Gator recruiting is going from 3-star Dan,,, to Billy 4-star....
😉
2023 -- #13 UF - 17 - 0 5-stars, 15 4-stars, 2 3-stars...

Kelby Collins Commits to GATORS !!

Class: 2023

Position: Defensive lineman

Height/Weight: 6-foot-4, 265 pounds

Location/School: Gardendale (Ala.) High

Committed to: Florida Gators

On3 Consensus Ranking: No. 60 player overall | No. 7 defensive lineman | No. 8 prospect in Alabama

EDIT

Collins' pledge comes three days after Florida flipped linebacker Jaden Robinson from South Carolina. He's the tenth prospect to commit to UF since the beginning of July.

Collins will likely serve as a three-technique for Florida at the next level, where he can utilize his rare mixture of explosive athleticism as a pass rusher and size to fill gaps in the middle against the run. As a junior, he accounted for 75 tackles, 20 tackles for loss and 12 sacks.

I expect DL coach Sean Spencer & the entire gator's coaching staff to be tweeting, texting, calling, & riding by Kamran James' house blowing their horns, to emphasize he won't be alone in Gators' DL class !

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-gators/news/iynside-the-film-room-dissecting-the-skill-set-of-gators-commit-kelby-collins/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT