ADVERTISEMENT

QB Jake Allen officially announces transfer

Yep not a fit at all. If he wants to start eventually he would be better off looking for a smaller program probably.

I wonder what Burrow does now. People seem to think he will leave most likely but nothing really out there except total speculation on where he might look to transfer to. I think he would win the job here easily myself with how Franks is upstairs. Not sure if Mullen wants a grad transfer coming in that has 2 years of eligibility left however.

First mistake for the Mullen staff IMO. :rolleyes:
Allen to xfer for a better fit.

I would have made it Trask, and then Allen & Jones at the 2-3 spots.
Instead they keep Franks and send Allen down the road. :confused:
But in the end, this may turn out better for Allen's career.

I've always liked Allen as a student/athlete, and I wish him the best in his future. He's got QB skills, but it will be up to some other coach to utilize them.
Spring game: 4 of 7, 57.1% and 3 runs for 18 yds, 6.0 ypc, and he never looked lost on the field....

He will likely be best remembered by Gators fans for his early commitment (HS Soph) to UF and for being a vocal booster for the program on social media long before he stepped foot on campus.

Next year at this time, it will likely be Trask, E.Jones & J.Jones, with Franks going down the road. I think that Trask can, because of his accurate passing and decision making, but Franks won't be able to keep up with Trask or with the Jones's...

SEC-Country - "J.Jones is the QB that Mullen wanted all along in the 2019 cycle and for good reason. The 6-foot-4, 205-pound signal caller tested in the 99th percentile at the Elite 11 camp on Sunday, including a 40-yard dash time of 4.45 seconds and a power ball toss of 39 feet."

SEC-C Ryan Young - "Two things have me leaving the spring feeling Trask was Florida’s best QB."

1) While Franks can hit the deep bomb downfield, he doesn’t make enough plays in the second level. It’s usually either the deep shot or short passes. Trask has looked more proficient attacking the middle of the field, which again, was an element of the passing game that was glaringly lacking last fall.

2) There is some benefit of the unknown with Trask. It may not be fair, but it’s hard to ignore the experience of watching Franks struggle from start to finish last fall and expect he’ll be dramatically different on Saturdays a year later while learning a new offense.
=========

For those yammering for a 4th option at QB with Allen leaving, Mullen already has multiple options on the roster, if he would develop them.
Ath/QB Nick Sproles 6-2 211 rsSo - (he did well in the Spring game)
Ath/WR/QB Kadarius Toney 5-11 194 So
-----
Ath/QB Harry Gornto V 6-1 189 rsJr
Ath/QB Jake Ruskell 6-2 194 rsFr
> ENOUGH with the Grad-xfer QB's already! They don't need some other team's throw-aways... o_O

Some current roster players like Franks, Lewis, and a couple of the OL are being kept and played for reasons other then their solid athletic ability at their position. JMOHO's, as always.... :cool:

Best of luck to the kid. All student-athletes have to do what's best for their own future and he obviously saw that he wasn't going to play much, if at all, and had apparently been passed up by Emory Jones. This is a transition period for the program and an article posted on another board claims Mullen's rebuilding process is going to take longer than most people think. Link: https://www.seccountry.com/florida/cole-cubelic-florida-spring-game-rebuild

Yep not a fit at all. If he wants to start eventually he would be better off looking for a smaller program probably.

I wonder what Burrow does now. People seem to think he will leave most likely but nothing really out there except total speculation on where he might look to transfer to. I think he would win the job here easily myself with how Franks is upstairs. Not sure if Mullen wants a grad transfer coming in that has 2 years of eligibility left however.
If Burrow has two years to play I wouldn't be totally against it. Its the same as a Juco recruit. I do however hate the one year grad transfers that are here and gone. It takes development time away from the other guys getting snaps.

Insta, had Trask not had that bad foot last year...who knows how well our season would have turned out. Despite Franks inabilities he was still better than Malik Zaire. Zaire just didn't have what it takes. Not saying we would have won 8-9 games with Trask playing last year but I could see 6 wins...maybe 7. That beats 4 wins by any mathematics.

If Burrow has two years to play I wouldn't be totally against it. Its the same as a Juco recruit. I do however hate the one year grad transfers that are here and gone. It takes development time away from the other guys getting snaps.

Only reason Burrow is different is we are trying to buy a year until Emory is ready and he is a better system fit than Trask or Franks.

Only reason Burrow is different is we are trying to buy a year until Emory is ready and he is a better system fit than Trask or Franks.
I understand that and have no problem with a transition coach taking in players who fit his system the first year. With the two Jones I hope it's minimized to one year.

@instaGATOR have an honest question for you.

--Since Mullen has a good track record of developing QB's do you think he could do to Franks what the La Tech coaches did for Driskel? You put a lot of stock on how Driskel did at La Tech...why can't Mullen do the same for Franks at this point?

He hasn't played a lot but when he did get into games he seemed like he had some field awareness which we have lacked at QB mostly since Tebow left.

I say bring him in and him and Jones can battle it out to start in 2019 if he is our starter in 2018.

Off topic: La Tech dumbed things down for Driskel. They just had an offense the QB always gets 4,000 yards. Driskel didn't do anything special there.

Last edited:
He hasn't played a lot but when he did get into games he seemed like he had some field awareness which we have lacked at QB mostly since Tebow left.

I say bring him in and him and Jones can battle it out to start in 2019 if he is our starter in 2018.

La Tech dumbed things down for Driskel. They just had an offense the QB always gets 4,000 yards. Driskel didn't do anything special there.
I understand they "dumbed it down" for Driskel...all while they won games and Driskel put up descent stats. Unlike our stupid former coaching staff did. They stuck with the same ish that didn't work. La Tech was pretty smart in my opinion. Better coaching in adjusting vs the past two UF staffs.

Mullen already something along the lines if he had a square peg he wasn't going to make it fit in a round hole. That he would make it a square hole. Very smart how he adjusted the system when he inherited Chris Leak.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I understand they "dumbed it down" for Driskel...all while they won games and Driskel put up descent stats. Unlike our stupid former coaching staff did. They stuck with the same ish that didn't work. La Tech was pretty smart in my opinion. Better coaching in adjusting vs the past two UF staffs.

Mullen already something along the lines if he had a square peg he wasn't going to make it fit in a round hole. That he would make it a square hole. Very smart how he adjusted the system when he inherited Chris Leak.

I agree with this.

Insta, had Trask not had that bad foot last year...who knows how well our season would have turned out. Despite Franks inabilities he was still better than Malik Zaire. Zaire just didn't have what it takes. Not saying we would have won 8-9 games with Trask playing last year but I could see 6 wins...maybe 7. That beats 4 wins by any mathematics.

TG, I've wondered if the Franks mafia somehow got someone to leg-whip or roll up on Trask, to insure that Franks would be the starter... :rolleyes:

Then Allen should have been rewarded with the practice and playing time that was wasted on the neutered lame, Jelly-Belly-Kelly reject. :mad:

This year, it should have been Trask, with Allen as his backup, and Jones as the true QBdt with plenty of wildcat packages. Trask and Allen can both scramble/run some, but Jones is the true dual threat speedster QB.

LDR was an average QB, but he had a classic 'glass jaw,' making him a waste of time and effort.
Happyby was a one&done waste of time, SEC back-up quality at his best.
Zaire was the biggest waste of time and effort of all.
Not putting the time in with Trask/Allen from the get-go cost McNuss their jobs. Not playing Stephens was a minor contributing factor.

I agree with this.
Mc once it's all said and done just stunk in all areas of the game. So he is not worth lengthy replies.

Muschamp did have strong defensive scheme's. With his defensive potential why couldn't he get in place something for Driskel that could have been at least half of what La Tech did. He let a non P5 staff let a QB have 4,000 yards in stats all while letting Driskel have like 400 yards in stats per year.

Sure I used scarcsm but we get the point.

TG, I've wondered if the Franks mafia somehow got someone to leg-whip or roll up on Trask, to insure that Franks would be the starter... :rolleyes:

Then Allen should have been rewarded with the practice and playing time that was wasted on the neutered lame, Jelly-Belly-Kelly reject. :mad:

This year, it should have been Trask, with Allen as his backup, and Jones as the true QBdt with plenty of wildcat packages. Trask and Allen can both scramble/run some, but Jones is the true dual threat speedster QB.

LDR was an average QB, but he had a classic 'glass jaw,' making him a waste of time and effort.
Happyby was a one&done waste of time, SEC back-up quality at his best.
Zaire was the biggest waste of time and effort of all.
Not putting the time in with Trask/Allen from the get-go cost McNuss their jobs. Not playing Stephens was a minor contributing factor.
All fair points but this question...

Do you think that Mullen and staff can do for Franks what La Tech staff did for Driskel?

Whatever we call it, dumbing it down...adjusting the system...whate whatever we want to call it. Can they make it work descent with Franks as Skip did with Jeff Driskel?

@instaGATOR have an honest question for you.

--Since Mullen has a good track record of developing QB's do you think he could do to Franks what the La Tech coaches did for Driskel? You put a lot of stock on how Driskel did at La Tech...why can't Mullen do the same for Franks at this point?

Driskel was also drafted to the NFL and is still getting a paycheck from them, so apparently the 'smart' Professionals in the NFL don't share the opinions of the 'dumbed-down' Jeff-Haters.... :cool:

Some here that constantly rag on Driskel, never address the FACT that in the 6 games before being benched, the receivers had 22 DROPPED passes, and Jeff was not playing behind the 'Great Wall of Florida' OL...

Jeff did well at LaTech because they had a better offense/coaches, a weaker SoS, and most important, receivers that could get open and CATCH the damn ball. o_O

UF 2014 Driskel - 9 Gms, 6 Starts, 9 TD's + 4 rushing TD's.
UF 2017 Franks - 11 Gms, 8 starts, 9 TD's, + 0 rushing TD's.

Jeff - Earned the President’s Academic Award for his work in the classroom. o_O

Driskel was/is a smart QB, (dumbing down is BS), while Franks, to say the least, is not. Therefore, IMO, Mullen won't be able to do for Franks, what LaTech did for Jeff. But hey, maybe Franks will surprise me and many others that have similar opinions of his ability.

Driskel was also drafted to the NFL and is still getting a paycheck from them, so apparently the 'smart' Professionals in the NFL don't share the opinions of the 'dumbed-down' Jeff-Haters.... :cool:

Some here that constantly rag on Driskel, never address the FACT that in the 6 games before being benched, the receivers had 22 DROPPED passes, and Jeff was not playing behind the 'Great Wall of Florida' OL...

Jeff did well at LaTech because they had a better offense/coaches, a weaker SoS, and most important, receivers that could get open and CATCH the damn ball. o_O

UF 2014 Driskel - 9 Gms, 6 Starts, 9 TD's + 4 rushing TD's.
UF 2017 Franks - 11 Gms, 8 starts, 9 TD's, + 0 rushing TD's.

Jeff - Earned the President’s Academic Award for his work in the classroom. o_O

Driskel was/is a smart QB, (dumbing down is BS), while Franks, to say the least, is not. Therefore, IMO, Mullen won't be able to do for Franks, what LaTech did for Jeff. But hey, maybe Franks will surprise me and many others that have similar opinions of his ability.
I'm not sure of Felipe Frank's academic achievements or lack of them.

What makes Felipe totally dumb in your opinion and Driskel wasn't?

I'm not sure of any stats for dropped balls thrown by Felipe but it would be interesting to find out.

Note, I was and still am a Driskel supporter.

So therefore I'm not bickering with you or being a circle jerk, just discussing opinions and analysis with you.

Not having any problems with you TG, so stop sweating... :cool:
In depth information is available, but few are willing to find it and read it.
I do, most don't.

I never claimed that Franks was 'totally dumb,' that's what you said, not me.
I said that things didn't need to be 'dumbed down' for Driskel, and I showed why I believe that's true (President’s Academic Award), other than watching him play.

HS Highlights - Army AA Bowl - 3 UF Spring games - the 2017 season.
Watching Franks play with my own eyes, plus reading and hearing what others have commented about him, along with reading his bio, leads me to believe that he's not the sharpest pencil in the box.

That does not however, make him the village idiot either. I think that he could be a pretty good starting QB at somewhere like a S-Ms or S-Ala or Troy, or FL-Atl etc. He can be an SEC backup, but not the starter. But that's JMOHO and not chiseled in stone or handed down from the Mount... :)

IF he can make me and my opinions look like the village idiot by Sept, then more power to him... :D

why couldn't he get in place something for Driskel that could have been at least half of what La Tech did. He let a non P5 staff let a QB have 4,000 yards in stats all while letting Driskel have like 400 yards in stats per year.

Lol I don't know how many times @oozie7 has to reiterate it, hopefully he has it saved somewhere.

The only two differences between Driskel at Florida and Driskel at La Tech are 1) he threw the ball twice as many times and 2) he consistently played much poorer competition.

So he literally DID do have as much with him. Probably because Driskel slinging the ball 50 times a game against SEC competition would be a turnover machine.

Pretty much. His completion %, yards per attempt, yards per completion, etc. all pretty much stayed the same. He just got to sling it a lot more times and against worst competition which gave him a boost in yards. For some reason I don't think if we wanted to win having Driskel throw a bunch of times against SEC defenses would have been a good idea. BUT I have no interest in talking about Driskel again.

Not having any problems with you TG, so stop sweating... :cool:
In depth information is available, but few are willing to find it and read it.
I do, most don't.

I never claimed that Franks was 'totally dumb,' that's what you said, not me.
I said that things didn't need to be 'dumbed down' for Driskel, and I showed why I believe that's true (President’s Academic Award), other than watching him play.

HS Highlights - Army AA Bowl - 3 UF Spring games - the 2017 season.
Watching Franks play with my own eyes, plus reading and hearing what others have commented about him, along with reading his bio, leads me to believe that he's not the sharpest pencil in the box.

That does not however, make him the village idiot either. I think that he could be a pretty good starting QB at somewhere like a S-Ms or S-Ala or Troy, or FL-Atl etc. He can be an SEC backup, but not the starter. But that's JMOHO and not chiseled in stone or handed down from the Mount... :)

IF he can make me and my opinions look like the village idiot by Sept, then more power to him... :D
Im about of the same opinion as you. I do think the staff can see if they can work the magic with Felipe. Give it a shot and see. However I jusr don't think it will happen. He is athletic enough to change positions if need be...it's worked out the best for C
Lol I don't know how many times @oozie7 has to reiterate it, hopefully he has it saved somewhere.

The only two differences between Driskel at Florida and Driskel at La Tech are 1) he threw the ball twice as many times and 2) he consistently played much poorer competition.

So he literally DID do have as much with him. Probably because Driskel slinging the ball 50 times a game against SEC competition would be a turnover machine.
Fair points indeed.

Pretty much. His completion %, yards per attempt, yards per completion, etc. all pretty much stayed the same. He just got to sling it a lot more times and against worst competition which gave him a boost in yards. For some reason I don't think if we wanted to win having Driskel throw a bunch of times against SEC defenses would have been a good idea. BUT I have no interest in talking about Driskel again.
It's a fair assessment.

Spring - Some Remaining Questions?

DE/OLB CeCe Jefferson (shoulder, 1st half O&B, projected back by Aug)
OL - Starters, and the depth chart? RB Malik Davis (knee)
WR's - Van-Grimes, NCAA Eligibility Waivers?
QB's - Franks or Trask or Jones, or some combination?

~ iG sees both Trask and Jones playing, i.e. Leak/Tebow...
Tebow took 18% of the snaps on their way to the 2006 NC.
Note: Trask is a much better runner than he or the coaches have chosen to show so far. (sandbaggin' for the season maybe?) :cool:

SEC-C's Ryan Young -- "Its possible to envision Trask, who has stated he’s not afraid to lower his shoulder and pick up yards on the ground, winning the job on the strength of his arm and field vision, while Jones becomes the freshman dual-threat option who rotates in when needed."
~ Young, (among others), seems to be now seeing what iG's been seeing/saying.

IMOHO -- QB Grad-xfer questions:
It would further stymie the current roster QB development.
It would dampen any additional QB recruiting for the 2019.Class.
It would virtually kill any QB recruiting for the 2020 Class.
~ Just Say NO - to any more grad-xfer QB's... o_O

Does the fact that he had 'worse' OLs and playmakers matter or only that he had worse defensive competition? I think the offensive play calling better suited him at Latech. Shorter developing plays, get the ball out quicker, etc.

Reactions: sadgator
Does the fact that he had 'worse' OLs and playmakers matter or only that he had worse defensive competition? I think the offensive play calling better suited him at Latech. Shorter developing plays, get the ball out quicker, etc.

What difference does it make if he had a worse OL and playmakers than what he had at UF? Was he playing the teams on UF's schedule? The only thing that matters is the talent level of his supporting cast relative to the talent level of the opposing defenses he played, and LA Tech wasn't lacking there. LA Tech actually averaged 38 a game the year before. Not to mention, at 6'4, 230 running 4.5 in Conf USA he was by far the most talented player on the field each week.

JD was such a bad QB that he was drafted to the NFL and still has a job there. :rolleyes:
=====

The biggest Summer/Fall question that I have for the 2018 team is this:
JMOHO's as always.

1) Do you want to (4-7) struggle along, with your bubba-buddies in the starter positions?
OR
2) Do you want to win, with the best-players in the starter positions?

This should 'stir the off-season pot' up real good...

This is what happens when 'weak' coaches put their inmates in charge of the asylum.
Look back at what happened when the inmates chose their bubba-buddy TH, over JD (22 drops).

Both players eventually ended up elsewhere, one was a solid winner, and he's now in the NFL.
The other was going to be moved to WR for a lack of QB talent, so he bailed out to go QB elsewhere. He was 58 of 106, 54.7% for 729 yds, 2 TD's, 2 Ints at TennSt before being benched again. So, he couldn't even be the QB at TennSt, (he lasted 5 games) so now he's switched over to WR. :rolleyes:

The jerkers are likely 'foamin' at the mouth' about now.... :D

The cowards posting here will snivel, whine, and/or post personal attacks on me.
The MEN will instead put up their own guesses and/or desires with position depth charts.
Everyone (including the non-posters) will then easily see which are which....

I have my popcorn ready, and I'm ready to sit back and watch the show.... :cool:

What difference does it make if he had a worse OL and playmakers than what he had at UF? Was he playing the teams on UF's schedule? The only thing that matters is the talent level of his supporting cast relative to the talent level of the opposing defenses he played, and LA Tech wasn't lacking there. LA Tech actually averaged 38 a game the year before. Not to mention, at 6'4, 230 running 4.5 in Conf USA he was by far the most talented player on the field each week.

For @oozie7 and @Dannygator1989 both. I understand that assessment with Driskel padding stats against weaker competition and wouldn't have been able to do such against SEC competition.

However that 3 yards and a cloud of dust or that get a 3 point lead and sit on it offense was pure garbage. It didn't work...so he'll let Driskel...Harris...Grier...whoever do something else. Both have looked better once leaving UF although it's weaker competition, at least their coaches can play to their players strengths.

Last edited:
For @oozie7 and @Dannygator1989 both. I understand that assessment with Driskel padding stats against weaker competition and wouldn't have been able to do such against SEC competition.

However that 3 yards and a cloud of dust or that get a 3 point lead and sit on it offense was pure garbage. It didn't work...so he'll let Driskel...Harris...whoever do something else. Both have looked better once leaving UF although it's weaker competition, at least their coaches can play to their players strengths.

That is part of my point. The type of offense he was in at LaTech was more suited for him to excel. The LT coaches put them in a better situation to thrive.

Sure, weaker competition helps, but he also had a weaker supporting staff on offense to get things done.

Point is, it was not all about just the defensive comp. that was faced.

Reactions: sadgator
He was in a spread his last year at UF running read option the exact offense everybody says he would excel in and the exact offense he 'succeeded' in at Tech. Wtf were y'all watching? I have no idea why people try to make it an either or when it comes to him. The offense at UF sucked and so did he. During all this excuse making for him no one can ever answer as to why the offense always improved with another QB, even shitty Treon Harris. What's the explanation for that? They were playing in the same bad offense.

Saying he's in the NFL is about as generous as you could possibly be with the definition. He was a late round pick, is on his 3rd team after being cut twice already, and prior to this year had never even made an official roster. He's been on a practice squad 2 of his 3 years in the league. But by all means keep tooting that horn. Meanwhile we have a QB in Brissett who we lost out on who actually went on to be a 3rd round pick and actually has started NFL games and he's not constantly brought up here. Let it go already.

Competition is not as good? So, that is why he made it there and not at UF?

Driskel did nothing to earn that spot in Cincy. He was kept simply due to his physical attributes I guess. He won a mini lottery with that move by Cincy after SF cut him for Driskeling.

Thank Goodness we now have a head coach that has an actual proven track record of developing QB’s, so we’ll likely never have to have these chicken/egg discussions about QB performance again.

That being said, Muschamp completely destroyed and mismanaged Driskell. And our play calling when he was here was shameful. It is inconceivable and astonishing to sadgator that some very fine and well-respected posters here still refuse to acknowledge it to this day...

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Mouths that would get the butts kicked by any NFL Cheerleader, spewing their crap on an NFL QB, always amuses me. No talent at all, but for some strange reason, those NFL 'PROFESSIONAL'S are keeping him around and continue spending money on him... :rolleyes:

He sucked in HS so much that the Gator's gave him an undeserved ship.
He sucked at UF, (got his UF degree) so LaTech took him to be their immediate starter.
He sucked at LaTech so much, that an NFL team drafted him.
He sucked so much that when one team cut him for their own roster reasons, another NFL team immediately snapped him up. :cool:

He is still drawing an NFL paycheck because he never has had any QB talent since HS... o_O
ROTF -- LMFAO!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Board Stalkers don't exist any more than Ancient Aliens or UFO's do. :cool:

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT