ADVERTISEMENT

Our bball offense is so dysfunctional

NorthJerseyGator

Gator Great
Sep 17, 2010
WVU is playing some of the worst D-1 bball I've seen tonight and they are in this game up 1. Partial credit to our D and mostly credit to WVU straight sucking and missing easy shots.

Our offense is like watching molasses move in winter, boring and goes nowhere.

This team is hard to watch.

I was hoping we could make up for losingChiozza, who seemed to have such a command of the offense (even when we wore him out late in games), but I'm starting to really believe White isn't cut out for this. I just don't see what he can do as a coach that makes the difference.

Preseason question?
They've got the offense, but will the Gators be able to play any defense?

Offensively, the Gators were just good enough vs 'Press WVa' o_O

Defensively, the Gators were outstanding.

WVU came to the arena averaging 86+ points a game and ranked 19th in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency. The Mountaineers left with a season-low tally of points (56), shot just 29.7%, including 7-for-23 from the 3-point line 30.4%, and turned the ball over a season-high 21 times. :oops:

The Gator Team's 'individual' offensive bright spot for the night, the only one in double digits.
SG KeVaughn Allen Sr - 19 Pt, 3's 3/7 (42.9%), 4 Rb, 3 Stl, 2 Blk, 3 Ast, 4 TO.

~ WVa came in with all 5 starters averaging double digits, but only 1 finished with (11 Pts) double digits.

The Freshmen Gator's, 'The 3 Amigos'
SF Keyontae Johnson - 9 Pt, FG's 4/5 (80%), 4 Rb, 4 Stl, 1 TO
SG Noah Locke --------- 8 Pts, 5/6 (83%), 3 Rb, 1 Stl, 1 Ast, 1 TO
PG Andrew Nembhard - 7 Pt, FT 4/6 67%. 4 Rb, 2 Stl, 6 Ast, 2 TO,
The 3 Amigos - 24 Pts, 11 Rb, 7 Stl, 7 Ast, 4 TO.

A cold shooting night for the team as a whole, fueled by 'Press WVa,' so they made up for it with and even more smothering 'press' defense of their own.

Last edited:
I don't think WV is much of a pressing team this year. Even Huggins says they don't have the athletes for it. The Gators are much improved on defense though and that will likely be their staple throughout the year. Allen looked good last night. Hudson is barely seeing the floor. I don't know what the heck Ballard is doing out there but if he gets it, he's shooting it. Mike needs to start yanking him for bad shots. I like the freshman though. Nembardt sp? Is very poised.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Preseason question?
They've got the offense, but will the Gators be able to play any defense?

Offensively, the Gators were just good enough vs 'Press WVa' o_O

Defensively, the Gators were outstanding.

WVU came to the arena averaging 86+ points a game and ranked 19th in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency. The Mountaineers left with a season-low tally of points (56), shot just 29.7%, including 7-for-23 from the 3-point line 30.4%, and turned the ball over a season-high 21 times. :oops:

The Gator Team's 'individual' offensive bright spot for the night, the only one in double digits.
SG KeVaughn Allen Sr - 19 Pt, 3's 3/7 (42.9%), 4 Rb, 3 Stl, 2 Blk, 3 Ast, 4 TO.

~ WVa came with will all 5 starters averaging double digits, but only 1 finished with (11 Pts) double digits.

The Freshmen Gator's, 'The 3 Amigos'
SF Keyontae Johnson - 9 Pt, FG's 4/5 (80%), 4 Rb, 4 Stl, 1 TO
SG Noah Locke --------- 8 Pts, 5/6 (83%), 3 Rb, 1 Stl, 1 Ast, 1 TO
PG Andrew Nembhard - 7 Pt, FT 4/6 67%. 4 Rb, 2 Stl, 6 Ast, 2 TO,
The 3 Amigos - 24 Pts, 11 Rb, 7 Stl, 7 Ast, 4 TO.

A cold shooting night for the team as a whole, fueled by 'Press WVa,' so they made up for it with and even more smothering 'press' defense of their own.
Wrong, guess you didn't watch the game and the part where they showed the graphic showing how WVU is nothing like years past this season. They went from 10th in nation in TO's forced last season to 223rd in nation this season. They lost to WKU along with Buffalo. This is a big time down year for Huggie Bear's squad, they suck. Our D gets credit but must understand the context that WVU is down this year and their offensive stats thus far have come against a weak ass schedule before playing us.

Wrong, guess you didn't watch the game and the part where they showed the graphic showing how WVU is nothing like years past this season. They went from 10th in nation in TO's forced last season to 223rd in nation this season. They lost to WKU along with Buffalo. This is a big time down year for Huggie Bear's squad, they suck. Our D gets credit but must understand the context that WVU is down this year and their offensive stats thus far have come against a weak ass schedule before playing us.

I watched the game, o_O I just didn't cross biased eyes while doing so. :confused:

Florida’s half-court defensive pressure was too disruptive, and its offensive drives to the rim too relentless, and West Virginia's offense couldn’t answer during a 66-56 loss. The Mountaineers had averaged nearly 96 points per game during a 4-game winning streak, but they would have needed about 12 overtimes to reach that in this one. They had 10 1st half TO's, then 11 TO's in the 2nd half due to UF's relentless D.

After a dunk in transition from Ahmad gave West Virginia a 31-30 2nd half lead — its only lead of the game — Florida answered with a 18-4 run highlighted by a 3-pointer from Andrew Nembhard with 10:48 left.

My cup is half full, while your cup has a handful of crap mixed in it. :cool:

That was one of the worst played games I've seen in a long time. Horrible foul shooting from both teams, although we did make a bunch down the stretch and still missed 18 for the game. Dumb fouls by both teams throughout. Horrendous passing and even worse shooting. We were bad, but they were worse. But a win is a win. Nembhard is our best player with 52 assists and only 11 turnovers. Only 1 guy averaging double figures in scoring (Allen at 10.0; Ballard is now at 9.9) and Allen is only shooting 29% from the 3-point arc. Hudson has been a huge disappointment so far - just mentally not there. Hayes hustles, but skills just aren't there for the big time. The young guys are good, but they all take too many bad shots, dribble around too much and go 1 on 1 without the ability to win many of those battles. The schedule this year is tough, but this should be a better team than they've shown so far.

Baskertball is like baseball in that slumps happen across a long 30+ game season. It's being able to still win some during a slump that gets a team to the NCAA's.

The Gators are in a 'team' building phase now, and going into next season, but they seem on a solid path to me under White's direction.

As to CG Ballard, he came into the game as the teams leading scorer and the only player with a double digit per game average while playing less than 20 Min/Gm off the bench. Last night, he was ice cold shooting, not taking bad shots, just missing them. And while Allen had 19 Pts, he was just 5 of 13 (38.5%) on the night. A shooters job is to shoot the ball. Making it is a real hit or miss proposition :rolleyes:...

Season Shooting: FG's % so far:

PF C.Johnson ---- .750 - 3/4, 6 Pts - Bench / injured
C/PF Hayes ------ .706 - 24/34, 59 Pts - Starter
SF K.Johnson ---- .550 - 22/40, 54 Pts - Bench
CG D.Ballard -- .508 - 30/59, 79 Pts - Bench
PF/C I.Stokes ---- .500 - 6/12, 21 Pts - Bench
PF D.Bassett ------.471 - 8/17, 21 Pts - Bench
PG M.Okauru ---- .429 - 6/14, 18 Pts - Bench
SF K.Stone ------- .419 - 18/43, 54 Pts- Starter
SG K.Allen ------- .403 - 25/62, 80 Pts - Starter
SG N.Locke ------ .393 - 22/56, 66 Pts - Bench, now a Starter
PF A.Nembhard - .392 - 20/51 58 Pts - Starter
CG J.Hudson -- .302 - 16/53, 48 Pts - Starter, now Bench
C G.Gak - rehabbing knee and has not played.

Last edited:
"When we're not making shots, we just have to make up for it on the defensive end," senior CG KeVaughn Allen said. "We just have to keep playing and eventually the shots will fall."

That was the formula Tuesday night when the Gators, who at one point went nearly nine minutes without scoring, crawled into the jerseys of the West Virginia Mountaineers, played a suffocating 40 minutes of defense against one of the nation's highest-scoring teams, (averaging 96 Pts/Gm in last 4) and left Madison Square Garden with a 66-56 victory in the Jimmy V Classic.

"When you go through an (offensive) dry spell, you have to just run your stuff, stay the course and stay calm," Freshman PG Nembhard said.

It's true that Florida didn't hang their heads on defense when they were missing shots from the field and the free throw line. But West Virginia was horrendous on offense in ways that had little to do with our defense. This was not and is not a typical West Virginia team, which presses the heck out of their opponents and is fast/efficient on offense. Both teams have serious offensive issues and Tuesday night theirs were worse than ours. I have long term confidence in Mike White and the young guys on this team. But this year could be a tough one. Time will tell, but we're not off to the start most expected, including the coaches and players.

Mike White subs too much. Time to shorten the bench and let guys get into some kind of rythm. He’s literally subbing all the time and there’s no continuity.

Reactions: bradleygator
WVa was cold shooting, as was UF. That was best shown by both teams poor shooting while unguarded at the foul line. :confused:

A big part of WVa's poor shooting from the floor however, was UF's smothering defense. They didn't wait for WVa to come to them, they went out to them and harassed them the entire game.

WVa didn't press UF as much as they have some teams, mostly because it was not effective vs UF's guards bringing the ball up the floor. They did however play very tight 1/2 court defense most of the time.

You can't play '40 Minutes of Hell' defense and not sub liberally. :cool:
If the supposedly less talanted bench players can come in cold off the bench and score, then the starters should be able to do it also. o_O

IMOHO, it's not how they've played in the first 8 games that matters the most. It's how they play as the season progresses. Are they getting better or not? I'd say they are, so I'm good with what they are doing and how they are progressing so far. :)

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT