ADVERTISEMENT

Other Gator Sports

ocalaman

Bull Gator
Sep 4, 2002
Men's Tennis Pre-Season #1 in the nation and won their first 2 matches, 6-1 vs. Furman & 7-0 vs. FAU. https://floridagators.com/news/2020...eason-ranked-no-1-in-oracle-ita-rankings.aspx

Gymnastics Pre-Season #3 and opened their season with an NCAA best score of 198.35 in a convincing win over Arkansas. https://floridagators.com/news/2020/1/10/gymnastics-big-score-for-gators-to-open-2020.aspx

Gator baseball had the #1 ranked recruiting class last summer, but is only ranked #13 in the Pre-Season poll. Lots of new guys and uncertainty on the mound kept them from being ranked higher, but the talent is there for another great season. https://floridagators.com/news/2019/12/23/gators-2019-signing-class-ranked-no-1-by-d1baseball.aspx
https://floridagators.com/news/2020/1/8/baseball-gators-open-at-no-13-in-perfect-game-rankings.aspx
They open their season Feb. 14 with a 3-game series vs. Marshall.

Gator lacrosse opens their season Feb. 8, softball starts Feb. 7.

Reactions: rdgtr
I really do like the focus on addressing the biggest weakness on the baseball team, the pitching.

Last year it felt like none of the starters was immune to getting knocked around.

Yep and we started kicking butt in overall sports prior to Foley.

Well...as FSU could tell you....winning a national championship in baseball is incredibly hard, even with fantastic talent.

Foley hired O' Sullivan back in 2008, and UF wasn't exactly killing it prior his arrival. Almost half of UF's total conference championships came after Foley hired O'Sullivan.

You gotta give credit where credit is due. In the case of baseball, Foley helped a ton by his hiring of O 'Sullivan.

Like Foley or not, but UF owes a lot of overall success to him. UF wasn't always a power athletic program across the board before his arrival. No AD is going to make 100% great hires, but Foley did do a very respectable job overall.

Foley made some hiring mistakes, but overall he was one of the greatest AD's in the history of the NCAA, IMO. he elevated Florida to the status of one of the top 2 or 3 athletic programs in the nation and we have maintained that consistent excellence for over 25 years.

Foley made some hiring mistakes, but overall he was one of the greatest AD's in the history of the NCAA, IMO. he elevated Florida to the status of one of the top 2 or 3 athletic programs in the nation and we have maintained that consistent excellence for over 25 years.

Agreed
He hired Billy Donavon, who raised the bar for the basketball program. He hired O'Sullivan, who raised the bar for the baseball program.

And it doesnt just stop with them, because we could talk about coaches as high profile as Urban Meyer unto coaches like Tim Walton who has made UF softball a consistent powerhouse.

To discredit Foley's impact on UF athletics is to be willfully and purposely wrong.

Last edited:
Very interested with baseball to see how our pitching comes around. Watching a Kevin O Sullivan team get knocked around every night was truly bizarre.

To discredit Foley's impact on UF athletics is to be willfully and purposely wrong.

That's just a thing that the 'fevered brain' excels at doing... o_O
Foley's a bum...
Dan can't recruit...
Quality recruiting ends in Aug...
etc, etc, etc... :rolleyes:

The truth is, while we spend 99% of our time focused on football, Florida is a school focused on all sports. There's a good reason why UF has more SEC championships across all sports than the #2 and #3 SEC teams COMBINED!!!! Not to mention if you throw in the fact that we are NOT a founding member of the SEC so haven't had as many years as the old guys to accumulate those championships.

Reactions: ocalaman
The truth is, while we spend 99% of our time focused on football, Florida is a school focused on all sports. There's a good reason why UF has more SEC championships across all sports than the #2 and #3 SEC teams COMBINED!!!! Not to mention if you throw in the fact that we are NOT a founding member of the SEC so haven't had as many years as the old guys to accumulate those championships.
One national championship I wish we could get is in volleyball. Mary Wise has a coaching record of 905-164, 824-101 at Florida. She has won 23 SEC titles, been to the NCAA Final Four 8 times and national runner-up twice. She is an incredible coach and it would be great for her to get a natty before she retires. Take a look at her accomplishments:
Wise By The Numbers
  • 931 – Career Victories (5th-most in Division I history)
  • .845 – Career Winning Percentage (2nd-highest among active Division I coaches; 4th-highest in NCAA history—all divisions, min. 20 seasons)
  • 850 – Career Victories at Florida (4th-most by any Division I coach at one school in NCAA history)
  • 8 – NCAA Final Four Appearances (One of six programs with eight since 1991)
  • 72 – NCAA Tournament Victories (7th-most in Division I history)
  • 27 – Top-15 Finishes in AVCA Division I Coaches Poll since 1991 (tied for 2nd-most in that span)
  • 25 – NCAA Regional Semifinal Appearances
  • 23 – SEC Championships (4th-most in any SEC sport by a men’s/women’s team since volleyball’s 1979 debut)
  • 15 – SEC Coach of the Year Awards
  • 13 – Undefeated SEC Seasons
  • 12 – SEC Tournament Titles (discontinued after 2005)
  • 3 – AVCA Division I National Coach of the Year Awards (one of two coaches in history with three)
  • Wise’s Trailblazing Feats
    • USA Volleyball All-Time Great Coach
    • Most career victories (931) among women Division I head coaches in NCAA history
    • Only female in NCAA history to coach in the national championship match
    • One of just two female coaches in NCAA history to coach in multiple Final Fours
    • Fastest female head coach to 500 career wins, then 800 career wins
    • At age 21, became the youngest Division I head coach ever hired (at Iowa State)

Last edited:
I dont care for the particular sport, but I always thought it was weird that despite the overall athletic success, UF has been and still is absolutely terrible in women's basketball. It's been over 20 years since they've been to an elite 8.

I dont care for the particular sport, but I always thought it was weird that despite the overall athletic success, UF has been and still is absolutely terrible in women's basketball. It's been over 20 years since they've been to an elite 8.
It's the one sport we truly suck. No clue as to why we can't win in women's hoops. I do believe we are ok this year

It's the one sport we truly suck. No clue as to why we can't win in women's hoops. I do believe we are ok this year
Yet we keep changing coaches when they don't produce after 5 years or so. It's been a mystery to me how ALL UF athletic programs have been built into consistent winners except women's BB. The SEC is stron in that sport and FSU hasn't gotten good as well. No reason why we shouldn't as well.

How is softball team predicted to do this year? I honestly enjoy them as much if not more than Gator baseball.
Preseason rankings and the SEC coach's poll haven't come out yet, but they've got a mixture of experience and quality youth and have talent, including a couple of very good transfers. With 5 pitchers on the team, to me it's going to come down to how the staff steps up to replace Kelly Barnhill. Our new freshman pitcher, Rylee Trilicek, was one of the top 2 or 3 pitchers in the nation last year and pitched for the USA National team over the summer. Another high school All American, Julia Cottrell, a catcher, is supposedly a tremendous hitter with a lot of national and international experience. We picked up a .300+ hitting 3rd baseman, Charla Echols, from Georgia, transferred in from Michigan State and infielder Kinsey Goelz came over from Ole Miss. On returning players, SS Sophia Reynoso is back, as is 2nd baseman Hannah Adams, Jordan Roberts, Jamie Hoover, Jordan Matthews, Kendyl Lindemann, Jade Carraway, Hannah Sipos, and Cheyenne Lindsay, who has tons of speed and talent, but was hurt a lot of last season. Returning pitchers are Katie Chronister, Natalie Lugo, Danni Farley and Elizabeth Hightower.

Bottom line, we'll be good as usual and should be in the hunt for another SEC title. The question is can we compete at the national level with teams like Oklahoma and UCLA?

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Florida gets another preseason Baseball Top 4 ranking. :)

But that's only good enough for the #2 ranking in the SEC.... :(

SEC = 2 Top 5's, 4 Top 10's, and 7 Top 15's.... :eek:

1. VU
4. UF
z.>> 5. scUM
7. UGly
9. MsSt
-----
11. Ark
>>> 12. FSUcks
13. AU
14. LSU
-----
19. choke-la-homo :p

Have two programs, any sport, in the same conference had a better 10 year run then Gators and Vandy in baseball?

They are the two top programs nationally and it’s not even close.

Maybe Duke and UNC hoops in 1990s or 2000s. Nebraska/Oklahoma football in the 1980s?

The list of schools that have won a NC in the men's big 3 sports is very short... :cool:

UF is the only one that has both a football & basketball NC in the same season or calendar year. They almost had one in all 3, 2005 runner up to TX in baseball. :eek:

Vandy brings back a ton from their national title team last year. They will be a load. Let's see how quickly Sully can get the young guys contributing.

Huge gymnastics match tonight with #2 Gators hosting #8 LSU. Being televised on ESPN2 at 7:15. For those who have never watched a gymnastics match, I highly recommend it. Ongoing action and superior athletes on display.

UF's #2 ranked gymnasts beat another ranked team Friday night, beating #12 Kentucky in Lexington 197.800-196.600, a sizable win. Trinity Thomas won the All-Around again, with scores of 9.900 in the Vault, 9.925 in the uneven bars, 9.950 on the beam and 9.950 on her floor exercise, for a total score of 39.725. With 4 straight SEC wins to open the season, the gators step out of conference for the next 2 meets, hosting an always strong Denver team next Friday in Gainesville and thren hosting Iowa State the following Friday.

The #14 UF lacrosse team opens their season Saturday at Noon against #18 Colorado. The game is in Gainesville and can be viewed on YouTube.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
#2 UF gymnastics in a 3-way meet tonight at the O'Dome with #4 Denver & #18 Iowa State. On SEC+ at 7 pm.

Gator gymnastics were impressive tonight, winning the 3-way meet with Denver & Iowa State. Scores were: UF 197.875, Denver 197.250, Iowa State 196.800. Trinity Thomas won the meet All-Around again, racking up 39.775 points, including a perfect 10 on the Beam. This is a fun sport to watch and the O-Dome was big and raucous.

UF lacrosse won their season opener 11-10 in a thrilling match against Colorado. Their next game is 2/15 at noon vs. #1 Maryland in College Park.

Florida's Men's Tennis team is now 9-1 after being pre-season ranked #1. They have beaten Furman 6-1, FAU 7-0, UCF 6-1, Stetson 7-0, Temple 4-0, USF 4-0, FSU 4-1, Illinois 7-0 and Purdue 6-1. Their only loss was to then #2 ranked Texas 2-5.

Men's tennis was good last year too. We used to dominate the woman's side along with Stanford, but seems like we haven't been as strong in recent years.

Men's tennis was good last year too. We used to dominate the woman's side along with Stanford, but seems like we haven't been as strong in recent years.
Yes, tennis fortunes have flipped the last couple of years. We've won several national titles in women's tennis, but struggled last year and are only 1-2 this year so far, with a 4-3 win over Oklahoma and 0-4 losses to #8 N.C. State and #20 Michigan.

UF's #2 gymnastics team beaten #17 Auburn in their gym Friday night 197.875 - 194.750. Trinity Thomas got a perfect 10 on the beam and won the all-around with an amazing score of 39.775.

Saturday, the #14 Gator lacrosse team upset #1 Maryland in College Park, MD 15-14, handing the Terps their first home loss in almost 8 years. Gators are now 2-0 and host #11 Loyola next Saturday. https://floridagators.com/news/2020/2/15/lacrosse-gators-topple-top-ranked-terps.aspx

And at the ITA National Indoor Championships in Madison, Wisconsin, the #4 Gator Men's Tennis team improved to 10-1 with a 4-0 win over #9 Columbia. The Gators play #5 North Carolina this afternoon.

Last edited:
I'm really digging the baseball team. They just took the series against Marshall. People may not think too much on that, but look at how they're winning recently. Last year, it felt like any team in the country had the likely possibility of knocking around UF pitchers for 8 or more runs....even teams like Marshall.

The pitching has been on point thus far.

Fyi, they did well against UGA also.

Reactions: ocalaman
I'm really digging the baseball team. They just took the series against Marshall. People may not think too much on that, but look at how they're winning recently. Last year, it felt like any team in the country had the likely possibility of knocking around UF pitchers for 8 or more runs....even teams like Marshall.

The pitching has been on point thus far.

Fyi, they did well against UGA also.
Yeah, Later today I'm going to start a thread on rhe baseball team so we can focus just on those guys as the season progresses.

Reactions: Justpeachy7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT