ADVERTISEMENT

OT My nephew from NJ will be attending UF

HeavenUniv.

Baby Gator
Sep 21, 2004
Hello Gator fans,hope it is OK to post this here.My nephew who lives in New Jersey recently decided to go to UF this coming Fall.In addition to Florida,he was accepted at Rutgers,Seton Hall,Penn State,TCNJ,and Monmouth. For those who attended the university,how did you like it?Did any of you major in Business? I know there is a dorm shortage.Are the off campus housing areas and the town overall safe?The dorms I see on the website look pretty nice from the outside.Would appreciate any comments about the university,Gainesville,life as an alumnus,networking among graduates,and anything else about the university. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: GatorNation79
sadgator’s gonna go out on a limb and speculate that fall Saturday’s in Gainesville are just a slightly bit better than ones at Monmouth...your nephew will dig it...

Florida-Cheer_14_0.jpg

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I went to UF after high school in North Jersey. Soooooooo much better than Rutgers and out of state UF was like similar price to in state Rutgers back then (2000-2004), which is sad for NJ residents that their public schools that are supposed to serve the citizenry of the State instead rape them in tuition and fees.

I never lived on campus because I applied to all my colleges late in December and didn't decide where I was attending until after dorms were filled up. I lived Southwest G'ville freshmen year and then a block down from Sorority Row the next 3 years. No matter where I lived, I had a blast in G'ville. Studied, partied, exercised, partied, football, partied, studied harder, and capped it off with a little more party.

Best part about UF, besides warm Florida sunshine, is that the student body is a nice mix of Northeastern (NY, NJ, Mass) social, smart, party kids, Panhandle and North Florida rednecks, Central Florida (Jamlando and Tampa) culturally neutral kids, and South Florida urban/Jewish/Latin/more like NY/NJ than rest of Florida types. Hot ladies from all of these areas! The apartments I lived in near campus were no frills but had tons of international exchange students from all over Europe so I had a blast meeting and getting to know, wink wink, new students every semester.

I was accounting major and UF accounting is top notch. Got an internship and subsequent job offer with a big four accounting firm in NYC before graduating. I wanted NYC being my family was in North Jersey and being young I was enthralled by working near Wall St. Now I'm settled down starting the family life in the Carolinas. I couldn't stand Jersey anymore, lol, well more like I couldn't stand the price of housing and property taxes in the nice suburban North Jersey boroughs.

Let me know any other questions.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
North jersey gator,I just counted and you mentioned partying four times and studying twice.Are you sure you graduated? lol You probably would not recognize Rutgers these days.Lots of new buildings and one of the biggest mergers in American college history was recently completed with the acquisition of UMDNJ medical and dental schools.My nephew is from the Shore,very bright kid,and will probably major in business.He was told he will get a spot on campus as a freshman. Except fior travel,price will be the same as Rutgers.He was accepted,but I think he wants to see other areas.Surprisingly he was turned down by Clemson.They said they are having record applicants.Anyway,he and his Mom really like UF.One person did tell me they think Gainesville is not a safe area,but others have said they disagree.He is really into sports so I think he will be spending most of his free time on campus. Not to into the party scene.He was surprised about the new stadium since he said the current one looked pretty great for college baseball.Is there a good network of people in the business fields that help UFgrads after graduation?

Translation: Straight Tits is Biker for FANTASTIC! :D --- you're welcome...

do your pseudo mixed nephews and nieces like riding with the wild hogs , or do they exist as far as the same realm of Manti Te'o gf that was there with him while he was going through so much with hs mother in the hospital..

I can see this guy pulling a Petrino if he had a bike, or probably does on someone elses harley, except not with a hot co ed/ faculty big breasts members hire.. instead he rides with Bruce Jenner and the little tennis skirts as a 64 year old like the old womens big team rotationat the golf course that Bill Murray was talking dirty too.. in caddyshack

the golf course that Bill Murray was talking dirty too.. in caddyshack

Hold on girls, I've got a salami I've got to hide. Oh, Mrs. Crane, I'm looking at you... You wore green so you could hide. I don't blame you - you're a tramp! Ooh! That was right where you wanted it! Ooh Mrs. Crane, you're a little monkey woman you know that? You're a little monkey woman... You're lean and you're mean and you're not too far between either I bet, are ya? Would you like to wrap your spikes around my head?

Reactions: sadgator
I can see this guy pulling a Petrino if he had a bike, or probably does on someone elses harley, except not with a hot co ed/ faculty big breasts members hire.. instead he rides with Bruce Jenner and the little tennis skirts as a 64 year old like the old womens big team rotationat the golf course that Bill Murray was talking dirty too.. in caddyshack

DaFuq?

If Insta rides, it's on an Indian. One of the original ones, not the new ones.

serveimage

Last edited:
North jersey gator,I just counted and you mentioned partying four times and studying twice.Are you sure you graduated? lol You probably would not recognize Rutgers these days.Lots of new buildings and one of the biggest mergers in American college history was recently completed with the acquisition of UMDNJ medical and dental schools.My nephew is from the Shore,very bright kid,and will probably major in business.He was told he will get a spot on campus as a freshman. Except fior travel,price will be the same as Rutgers.He was accepted,but I think he wants to see other areas.Surprisingly he was turned down by Clemson.They said they are having record applicants.Anyway,he and his Mom really like UF.One person did tell me they think Gainesville is not a safe area,but others have said they disagree.He is really into sports so I think he will be spending most of his free time on campus. Not to into the party scene.He was surprised about the new stadium since he said the current one looked pretty great for college baseball.Is there a good network of people in the business fields that help UFgrads after graduation?
If he loves sports, playing or spectating, well I don't think you can do better than UF. With sunny warm weather to play whatever sports he likes, intramural or just pickup games, and with all the top Gators sports teams to watch on campus, he will love it.

I was accounting major so the accounting school basically sells itself and brings in top employers and they hire like almost every accounting graduate. Being an accountant you can punch your own ticket and go get work, so I haven't needed to rely on an alumni network so to speak in my working life. My buddies from accounting classes back at UF are all doing fine and we stay in touch as we live all over the country now.

Maybe some Finance/Economics/Marketing/Business Administration majors on the board here could speak to the UF network as it relates to jobs and careers here? I only lived in Florida during my college years so I'm not in tune with all the vast network nexus that I'm sure is spread across the State of Florida as that is where most Business grads would be working.

Regarding safety, you first have to realize that because Gainesville is in Florida it will appear more "unsafe" than suburban Jersey. Florida in general is the highest crime state, mostly due to great year round warm weather for criminals to be out and about, so right off the top Gainesville is probably more unsafe that nice Jersey Shore towns. However, like most towns, it will have nice areas and crummy areas. I wouldn't think Gainesville is any more unsafe than semi-urban New Brunswick/Piscataway? The UF campus and neighborhoods surrounding campus are all fine and I wouldn't worry about that area. Gainesville also has rundown, hood, deep South, poor, residential areas that you wouldn't find in Jersey but these aren't adjacent to campus and the off campus student residential areas.

Yale is in New Haven and that town is always listed as high crime in CT but the campus and student areas aren't as unsafe as the non student areas.

For those into Florida Softball,Rutgers just hired a former Gator player and coach to take over the program.Her name is Kristen Butler and was SEC MVP and set a record for all time home runs in a season.I hope she likes a challenge,can recruit ,and doesn't mind helping with fundraising because we have a,ehem,stadium that looks like a high school facility.She certainly is not hard on the eyes.lol

Hev-U -- My kid was offered a full ride to Princeton, but couldn't stand the area, and especially not in the winter. :oops:

Instead took the full ride to 'Public Ivy' UF. A President's List Grad in 3 1/2 years with 'Highest Honors' in 2 degrees and a minor. Gator Nation is millions strong and world wide. Employed immediately and has never looked back on the decision of where to go. At my recommendation -- A Lifetime UF Alumni Member too.
=========

On the other hand, (for the circle jerkers) I've owned 7 motorcycles in my lifetime, none now (health and age). :( I instead ride in leather seat and A/C luxury. Longest bike ride - 3,665 miles solo in 6 1/2 days. Longest day was 868 miles. You twerps couldn't carry my chain lube... :confused:
IF you were smart... You ignorant 'little boyz' would stick to jerkin' each other and leave the old men alone. Of course that's unlikely, considering your oft displayed intellects...:cool:

PS
And no, I really don't G-a-S what you claim to believe, or don't believe, so save your mouth foamin' whining for your (obviously) blind and titless GF's.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hev-U -- My kid was offered a full ride to Princeton, but couldn't stand the area, and especially not in the winter. :oops:

Instead took the full ride to 'Public Ivy' UF. A President's List Grad in 3 1/2 years with 'Highest Honors' in 2 degrees and a minor. Gator Nation is millions strong and world wide. Employed immediately and has never looked back on the decision of where to go. At my recommendation -- A Lifetime UF Alumni Member too.
=========

On the other hand, I've owned 7 motorcycles in my lifetime, none now (health and age). :( I instead ride in leather seat and A/C luxury. Longest bike ride - 3,665 miles solo in 6 1/2 days. Longest day was 868 miles. You twerps couldn't carry my chain lube... :confused:
IF you were smart... You ignorant 'little boyz' would stick to jerkin' each other and leave the old men alone. Of course that's unlikely, considering your oft displayed intellects...:cool:

PS
And no, I really don't G-a-S what you claim to believe, or don't believe, so save your mouth foamin' whining for your (obviously) blind and titless GF's.... :rolleyes:

For the life of me I don't understand why you're being a condescending prick to this guy or why your motorcycle marathon is relevant.

Yeah it seems like pretty standard over sharing and then just becomes completely unhinged. It’s not clear if it’s all addressed to the same person. There’s not a lot of context to work with. Blind and titless?

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
I just re-read this thread from the beginning to remind myself what the hell anyone was talking about. I’m still not sure but this thread delivers pretty good. Covers a lot of ground.

Reactions: sadgator
Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT