ADVERTISEMENT

Opening line Gators +13 Saturday night vs. LSU

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
I still wouldn’t touch it as LSU has been tearing it up and Death Valley at night will be tough. Did they say anything about Trask and his knee? The way he was on the field I thought he was done for the year. You gotta give Emory Jones credit for the way he played on his field goal drive. I watched some of the LSU game vs. USU and Burrows is great unless you can get pressure on him. The Texas game their defense was vulnerable. Go Gators.

How about this one, FSU is a 24 1/2 point DOG at Clemson. I might actually bet on that one as Clemson has not been that great this year and that’s a huge line.

Who has LSU beaten that's really good? Texas? I'm not sold that they are anything more than about a top 20-25 team. They have looked really good so I think they should be favorites but from a betting standpoint 13 is easy money for UF.

They may beat the brakes off of us but I think we're their first real test.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Who has LSU beaten that's really good? Texas? I'm not sold that they are anything more than about a top 20-25 team. They have looked really good so I think they should be favorites but from a betting standpoint 13 is easy money for UF.

They may beat the brakes off of us but I think we're their first real test.
We can hang with them. Their defense isn't as good as Auburn, can we stop them... that's the question IMO.

Trask needs to work on that pocket awareness this week.
He holds on to the ball way too long, get out and scramble or throw the ball away.
Can't afford to get blindsided this week and lose points in the redzone. Very fortunate the green monster caught Brown on that fumble return.
He's a good passer but has to step up in the pocket and let it go or throw it away like you said. Only 2 starts under his belt... he's done a good job but he needs to take the next step or give Emory more reps. Trask is a good kid, I like him.

Reactions: Wuerffel2Doering
I’m with y’all, I think we can score on LSU. I think we will be able to run it and pass it but it will come down to our defense stopping their pass attack. LSU doesn’t run the ball great which is crazy to think about when talking about LSU. I think that plays into our strength on defense. I think we are better equipped at stopping the pass than the run. We just aren’t that huge up front to stop a power running game even though we did well against auburn. My prediction is Joe Burrow with get a couple TD passes but he’s throwing at least two interceptions.

I will also add that our coaching staff is better than LSU so I give us an edge on game prep and game plan. Emmitt Smith got these boys fired up for this week and let them know that it’s not one game that defines greatness!

I think your fan base is giving Trask too much of a pass on his pocket presence and how turnover prone he is. He’s a feel good story no doubt, he’s a more accurate passer than Franks, but he turns it over just as much as Franks. In the games I’ve seen when Trask is touched in the backfield he loses the ball. Jones was pulled for Trask on a third down, he held onto it too long and backside pressure got him again. Running QB likely takes off in that situation and at least gets you three points. Teams are going to start dialing up blitzes on Trask because if they put their hands on him in the backfield he’s most likely going to fumble. if he doesn’t learn to secure the ball you won’t beat LSU or UGA. Your turnover trend is what is going to hold you back from a any kind of title. Half way through the season and it hasn’t gotten better. LSU given the ball on a short field 4-5 times like Auburn was given will lead to a blowout win.

Your defense is great but your offense is still a liability and Trask is only marginally improving your offense in the passing game but he’s a turnover machine.

And I know FSU sucks. We are terrible and will be lucky to make a bowl game. Let’s get that out of the way.

Reactions: gatordad3
Ummmm...that was only his third...start...ever....just sayin’...
But he’s not a freshman. And regardless if he doesn’t start securing the ball better either tucking it or getting rid of it you won’t win the east this year. He’s a talented passer but his drawbacks are going to cost you. It’s a shame (for Florida fans at least) because you have a national title worthy defense this year.

I think Mullen will work with him this week on that very thing. Auburn’s defensive line is way better than LSUs let’s get that straight

I think your fan base is giving Trask too much of a pass on his pocket presence and how turnover prone he is. He’s a feel good story no doubt, he’s a more accurate passer than Franks, but he turns it over just as much as Franks. In the games I’ve seen when Trask is touched in the backfield he loses the ball. Jones was pulled for Trask on a third down, he held onto it too long and backside pressure got him again. Running QB likely takes off in that situation and at least gets you three points. Teams are going to start dialing up blitzes on Trask because if they put their hands on him in the backfield he’s most likely going to fumble. if he doesn’t learn to secure the ball you won’t beat LSU or UGA. Your turnover trend is what is going to hold you back from a any kind of title. Half way through the season and it hasn’t gotten better. LSU given the ball on a short field 4-5 times like Auburn was given will lead to a blowout win.

Your defense is great but your offense is still a liability and Trask is only marginally improving your offense in the passing game but he’s a turnover machine.

And I know FSU sucks. We are terrible and will be lucky to make a bowl game. Let’s get that out of the way.
I think this is a fair assessment. But the kid has 4 starts now since 9th grade, nor has he been in a game with this type of magnitude. He will need to protect the ball better. Good news for him we won't see a better defense, especially d-line, the rest of the season.

Turns the ball over just as much as Franks, but they are fumbles not interceptions. What is the common denominator here? Trask got blindside sacked/hit 3 times Saturday against Auburn and all 3 of them resulted in his fumbles. If you go back and look at those, they weren't because he was holding the ball too long either, not the first two at any rate. Those defenders were outright unblocked and he never expected to be hit that fast on those plays.

Essentially the same turnovers are happening with Trask as they were with Franks. That tells me someone is consistently letting the pass rushers get to our QBs.

Turns the ball over just as much as Franks, but they are fumbles not interceptions. What is the common denominator here? Trask got blindside sacked/hit 3 times Saturday against Auburn and all 3 of them resulted in his fumbles. If you go back and look at those, they weren't because he was holding the ball too long either, not the first two at any rate. Those defenders were outright unblocked and he never expected to be hit that fast on those plays.

Essentially the same turnovers are happening with Trask as they were with Franks. That tells me someone is consistently letting the pass rushers get to our QBs.
Trask has two interceptions on the season to Franks’ three. Add in Trask’s fumbles and inability to be a run threat and it’s a wash. Feleipe was more seasoned with more starts. Had a better feel for his OL and when to bail. Trask is more green than Feleipe but the reality is Trask is taking more sacks and giving it up more. Trask has been sacked 9 times (looked it up) already with at least five fumbles I can remember in just the little bit I’ve seen of yalls last few games. I’m not trying to be a dick and I’m clearly biased but trying real hard to be objective about the reality of UF’s situation. Both QBs are turnover prone and will keep UF from a title if bad habits are not broken.

Trask has two interceptions on the season to Franks’ three. Add in Trask’s fumbles and inability to be a run threat and it’s a wash. Feleipe was more seasoned with more starts. Had a better feel for his OL and when to bail. Trask is more green than Feleipe but the reality is Trask is taking more sacks and giving it up more. Trask has been sacked 9 times (looked it up) already with at least five fumbles I can remember in just the little bit I’ve seen of yalls last few games. I’m not trying to be a dick and I’m clearly biased but trying real hard to be objective about the reality of UF’s situation. Both QBs are turnover prone and will keep UF from a title if bad habits are not broken.
I do hope Trask looks very hard at the moments when he should have tucked the ball and ran rather than hanging in the pocket as well as pitching the ball to the RB rather than keeping it for barely a yard. Perine possibly had a TD on that play prior to Trask coughing it up for a 3rd time.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
total defense
aub - 276 yds a game -- avg per play 4.5 yds
lsu - 287 yds a game -- avg per play 4.4 yds

rush defense
aub - 93 yds a game -- 2.9 yds per att
lsu - 81 yds a game -- 2.6 yds per att

pass defense
aub - 183 yds a game -- 6.3 yds per att
lsu - 206 yds a game -- 6.1 yds per att

numbers are almost identical. lsu has been without three starters on front seven these last three games. hoping to have two of the three back this week.
To be fair, lsu has played Texas and gave up over 500 yards. The other teams on your schedule aren't exactly top notch competition. Auburn has played much better comp

If you’re trying to say that franks is a better QB than Trask it’s almost laughable. We struggled at Kentucky and Miami because of Franks inability to read a defense and pass the ball. Trask may not be able to run it but we don’t need him too. We lose the auburn game with franks at QB. He would have taken off running so many times in that game instead of pushing the ball downfield.

I do hope Trask looks very hard at the moments when he should have tucked the ball and ran rather than hanging in the pocket as well as pitching the ball to the RB rather than keeping it for barely a yard. Perine possibly had a TD on that play prior to Trask coughing it up for a 3rd time.

Truth is we're going to eventually have a game where we don't get 4-5 turnovers and that'll be the difference, if it happens. hoping Mullen can continue fast tracking his sense of the pocket.

I’m not saying Franks is better. I’m saying it’s a wash when you consider the Gator fan base has been overly critical of Franks turning the ball over. Trask has been doing it as well but in a different capacity. A turnover is a turnover. Trask is a more accurate thrower but his pocket presence sucks and in the Tennessee game and Auburn game I’ve seen him take sacks and fumble at least five times along with two really bad interceptions. I would take either in a heartbeat over what we have and Mullen is doing a really good job getting the most out of them but Trask isn’t as big of an improvement over Franks at all when you factor in his turnovers. Trask almost gave the game away against Auburn but luckily your defense is one of the best in the country when fully healthy.

The problem I had with Franks is he had way more opportunities to succeed. Trask hasn’t sniffed the amount of playing time that Franks has had. Also, with Franks, he killed us in different ways. Kentucky game for example. We are driving ball well on first possession of the game and we get down in Kentucky territory and he just throws the ball up for grabs in triple coverage on 1st down.......he had plays like in the Miami game and last year in the Georgia game, he pretty much killed us in that game.

My thought exactly
It’s the turnovers. But it’s also money waiting to be had. LSU hasn’t played a defense close to yours yet. Us outsiders it’ll be an exciting game and a nice distraction from what Clemson is about to do to us.

Trask sees the field so much better than Franks did or than Jones is experienced enough to see at this point...

Ball security is a problem, but he has been a MASSIVE upgrade...and sadgator was a big believer that Franks was our only hope before the injury...

Plus he showed Wuerff-like guts and grit in coming back after the knee injury. Kid earned sadgator’s respect, that is for sure...

Why I don't want to get caught up in the fancy looking offense stuff as we have seen those crash and burn many times when facing a good defense but I think this is the game where not being able to run the ball will lead to us losing the game finally. LSU does have a good offense however unlike the mirage I thought Auburn's offense was before we played them. A night game there will be too much with Trask's bad awareness of pressure in the pocket. One good thing is even if we lose we still fully control our destiny in making the SECCG and the playoff.

LSU 31
UF 20

I’m not saying Franks is better. I’m saying it’s a wash when you consider the Gator fan base has been overly critical of Franks turning the ball over. Trask has been doing it as well but in a different capacity. A turnover is a turnover. Trask is a more accurate thrower but his pocket presence sucks and in the Tennessee game and Auburn game I’ve seen him take sacks and fumble at least five times along with two really bad interceptions. I would take either in a heartbeat over what we have and Mullen is doing a really good job getting the most out of them but Trask isn’t as big of an improvement over Franks at all when you factor in his turnovers. Trask almost gave the game away against Auburn but luckily your defense is one of the best in the country when fully healthy.

I have to admit you are right on Trask's lack of awareness of pressure in the pocket. A bad thing going into a night game @ LSU.

Last edited:
With all the grim outlooks on the game from everyone I guess Mullen should just give Ed a call and forfeit the game. No need to go there and risk injuries. My big test was Auburn. I wanted to see if we could play physical on defense and move the ball on offense and we did both of those things. Secondly, I don’t think there’s a better guy at putting together a great offensive game plan than Mullen. We just have to execute it! If we can get pressure on Burrow early and often, I really like our chances in this one. LSU wants to pass the ball and that’s basically their entire offense so if we can somewhat neutralize that, it’s game on!

Against auburn, if you take away the three turnovers front Trask, a stupid fake punt by Townsend and we win that game in a blowout. We most definitely get points on almost all those drives and auburn doesn’t get their 13 points off those turnovers. Honestly, that game shouldn’t have been close considering auburn had like 3 first downs in the third quarter at one point. I think Grantham will have a great plan defensively and Mullen will have some trucks dialed up. If we can make sure Townsend doesn’t have another boneheaded play, I like our chances!

I also rode by the stadium yesterday and they had the place rocking! Idk how the speakers weren’t blown but this is the best coaching staff we’ve had since Urban and I think game prep and game plans are a very underrated trait for this staff.

Don't blame Townsend for a play that Dan called. o_O Dan has already taken the hit/credit for the call and he said that AU probably wouldn't have scored a TD in the game if not for his call. :cool:

AU = 4 T-O's
UF = 4 T-O's
Do we take away UF's T-O's and not AU's in your scenario??? :confused:

PS
And IF chit didn't stink,,, then it would smell good.... :rolleyes:

The rest I can pretty much agree with. ;)

I think Grantham will have a great plan defensively and Mullen will have some trucks dialed up. I like our chances!

I also rode by the stadium yesterday and they had the place rocking! Idk how the speakers weren’t blown but this is the best coaching staff we’ve had since Urban and I think game prep and game plans are a very underrated trait for this staff.

PS
Since Urb, or since Dan was the OC? IMOHO, Urb fell apart after Dan's departure.

Last edited:
We also can't use the excuse that without our 4 turnovers we run away with this game. Because the flip side to that argument is if Auburn didn't have it's 4 turnovers, then they would have won.

Turnovers are a part of the game. For us unfortunately right now, we keep giving the ball up each game. Luckily our defense keeps negating that and has kept the turnover margin pretty much even at the worst. If we could possibly protect Trask well enough from pass rushers, then he won't be giving it up as easily, and watch out.

That said, Auburn's defense is SO far ahead of what LSU's is this year, so I expect our offense to be working about as best as it can this coming Saturday.

Reactions: GatorGraz
Don't blame Townsend for a play that Dan called. o_O Dan has already taken the hit/credit for the call and he said that AU probably wouldn't have scored a TD in the game if not for his call. :cool:

AU = 4 T-O's
UF = 4 T-O's
Do we take away UF's T-O's and not AU's in your scenario??? :confused:

PS
And IF chit didn't stink,,, then it would smell good.... :rolleyes:

The rest I can pretty much agree with. ;)

PS
Since Urb, or since Dan was the OC? IMOHO, Urb leff apart after Dan's departure.

Of course Dan is going to take credit for the fake punt because he will have his players back but he’s already admitted that he gives Townsend the green light to take off if he likes the formation or thinks he can get the first down.

Since Urb, or since Dan was the OC? IMOHO, Urb leff apart after Dan's departure.[/QUOTE]

Best overall staff since Urbans staff. Our staff top to bottom is very good and I would put it up there with anybody’s.

Of course Dan is going to take credit for the fake punt because he will have his players back but he’s already admitted that he gives Townsend the green light to take off if he likes the formation or thinks he can get the first down.

So, Dan's a liar that we should just ignore when he tells us he called the play? :confused:
Okeey-Dookeey.... :rolleyes:

But then can you tell me why he didn't have the OL's back last week? :oops:
Or was that something else we should just ignore? o_O

Keep the game close, be within 10 points heading into the 4th, take it out of the hands of the players and make Orgeron make calls to win the game.

That's how you beat LSU.

Reactions: GatorGraz
With all the grim outlooks on the game from everyone I guess Mullen should just give Ed a call and forfeit the game. No need to go there and risk injuries. My big test was Auburn. I wanted to see if we could play physical on defense and move the ball on offense and we did both of those things. Secondly, I don’t think there’s a better guy at putting together a great offensive game plan than Mullen. We just have to execute it! If we can get pressure on Burrow early and often, I really like our chances in this one. LSU wants to pass the ball and that’s basically their entire offense so if we can somewhat neutralize that, it’s game on!

My main difference on this game is I think the LSU offense is legit which I thought Auburn's wasn't going into our game with them.

Now can we maybe slow it down enough to win? Possibly but I think it will be hard to outscore them in that stadium at night. We would have to be at least + 2 in turnovers I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT