ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Bosa tOSU leaving school to focus on the NFL

Hasn’t he been out anyways? I don’t believe he has played a down yet this year.

Hasn’t he been out anyways? I don’t believe he has played a down yet this year.

Says he played 2+ games, had 4 sacks, recovered a fumble for a TD and caused another fumble for a TD. He's supposed to be a top-5 pick, so the decision is a no-brainer. Get healthy and sign a $30 million contract... or roll the dice and play for free?

Never gonna knock anybody for doing what’s best for them from the outside but if I was on his team this wouldn’t sit right with me. They’re #2 in the country with a real chance to win a title and he would be a big part of that and he basically bails. We lifted together, grinded together, and now you’re gone.

Never gonna knock anybody for doing what’s best for them from the outside but if I was on his team this wouldn’t sit right with me. They’re #2 in the country with a real chance to win a title and he would be a big part of that and he basically bails. We lifted together, grinded together, and now you’re gone.
Agreed with this 110%. It’s a tough situation. I can see his point of view but it certainly looks like your bailing on your team or that your “too good” to play anymore with your teammates. It comes off as a little entitled.

Agreed with this 110%. It’s a tough situation. I can see his point of view but it certainly looks like your bailing on your team or that your “too good” to play anymore with your teammates. It comes off as a little entitled.

Yea imagine you’re somebody who isn’t gonna go to the NFL or be a high draft pick. It’s not getting any better for you that trying to win a championship in college. He’s basically telling his team he doesn’t give a damn, just protecting myself so I can get paid. I mean I get it from his POV but still kinda shitty.

One thing the NCAA could do is lax the rules around players buying insurance policies, or maybe let the school pay for them and let the player pay the school back when they go pro.

Otherwise, we're going to reach a point soon where any projected 1st round will decide to sit out the rest of his junior season after he has his first minor injury in a game.

One thing the NCAA could do is lax the rules around players buying insurance policies, or maybe let the school pay for them and let the player pay the school back when they go pro.

Otherwise, we're going to reach a point soon where any projected 1st round will decide to sit out the rest of his junior season after he has his first minor injury in a game.

I would advise any kid projected to be a top draft pick to sit out even if they’re healthy, so long as it didn’t hurt their draft position too much. Playing football for free and accepting the injury risk, when you’ve got an 8-figure payday coming your way, is insane.

I would advise any kid projected to be a top draft pick to sit out even if they’re healthy, so long as it didn’t hurt their draft position too much. Playing football for free and accepting the injury risk, when you’ve got an 8-figure payday coming your way, is insane.
Why even bother playing sports if that is the type of behavior we are going to condone? Whatever happened to playing because you “love the game” or play for your school or your teammates.

What about basketball? Should college basketball players do the same thing?

This is the type of behavior that will ruin college sports even more.

Why even bother playing sports if that is the type of behavior we are going to condone? Whatever happened to playing because you “love the game” or play for your school or your teammates.

What about basketball? Should college basketball players do the same thing?

This is the type of behavior that will ruin college sports even more.

Lol.

That's why I mentioned the insurance policies. Leonard Fournette had a massive one a few years ago, that's why he played his last year at LSU. The NCAA should help relax the rules in this area, otherwise schools will start having a lot of prep players play 2 seasons then sit.

It will also hurt the players. If a kid is a 5-star coming out of HS, some schools won't offer because they are scared they will only have him for 2 seasons. Some will think if we'll only have a kid for 2 seasons, let's get a stud in JUCO.

If we reach a point where it's common for kids to sit out their junior year, it's seriously going to hurt the college game. And that's not what the NCAA wants right now, with fans turning off the NFL in record numbers.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
That's why I mentioned the insurance policies. Leonard Fournette had a massive one a few years ago, that's why he played his last year at LSU. The NCAA should help relax the rules in this area, otherwise schools will start having a lot of prep players play 2 seasons then sit.

It will also hurt the players. If a kid is a 5-star coming out of HS, some schools won't offer because they are scared they will only have him for 2 seasons. Some will think if we'll only have a kid for 2 seasons, let's get a stud in JUCO.

If we reach a point where it's common for kids to sit out their junior year, it's seriously going to hurt the college game. And that's not what the NCAA wants right now, with fans turning off the NFL in record numbers.

Yeah I’m not too familiar with the insurance policies and how much they cover. I would think it would cost A LOT to insure a guy’s projected $10-30 million contract through playing 13 games of college football. But it would certainly be the least I would demand if I was going to be a top half of the first round pick.

People have to understand that you are talking life changing money for your kids’ kids if you handle it right. That has to trump love of the game, college teammates, whatever. It sounds like it was a tough decision for Bosa. But his teammates and Urban Meyer aren’t going to be paying his mortgage or his kids’ tuition if he blows out a knee or gets concussion problems, etc...

Also are people turning off the NFL? I thought that ratings were way up this year.

Yeah I’m not too familiar with the insurance policies and how much they cover. I would think it would cost A LOT to insure a guy’s projected $10-30 million contract through playing 13 games of college football. But it would certainly be the least I would demand if I was going to be a top half of the first round pick.

People have to understand that you are talking life changing money for your kids’ kids if you handle it right. That has to trump love of the game, college teammates, whatever. It sounds like it was a tough decision for Bosa. But his teammates and Urban Meyer aren’t going to be paying his mortgage or his kids’ tuition if he blows out a knee or gets concussion problems, etc...

Oh I get all that, it's definitely life-changing money. And I get why the players would do it.

But the players have to understand that if this becomes commonplace, fewer colleges will offer them. If you're a college and a 5-star kid is projected to go pro after 3 years and you think he will want to sit out his junior year, why would you offer him over a stud JUCO that plays the same position? I'm probably taking the JUCO player who is likely ready to start immediately, and can give me 2 solid years of playing time. The prep player would at best likely give me one good year as a starter, then he'd want to sit.

The players can choose to sit, just like the teams can choose not to offer them if they feel like they will.

Also are people turning off the NFL? I thought that ratings were way up this year.

Are they? I thought they were down again, but I honestly haven't watched an NFL game this year so don't know. Then again, as bad as they were last year, they could be up from last year and still be bad, historically.

Reactions: fsu939913
BTW if a player sits out his junior year to prep for the draft, how will that impact his stock with NFL teams? I would think some teams would question his competitiveness and willingness to be a team player. How would their new NFL teammates take it if the rookie purposely rode the bench his last year in college? I would think the veterans that are playing with busted knees would be a little pissed.

On the other hand, how many teams would be MORE likely to want to draft him because he sat out his last year? I can't see where any would be.

Again, I get why a player would consider it if they were a 1st round lock, but the move would definitely have negative consequences for most of them at both the college and pro level.

BTW if a player sits out his junior year to prep for the draft, how will that impact his stock with NFL teams? I would think some teams would question his competitiveness and willingness to be a team player. How would their new NFL teammates take it if the rookie purposely rode the bench his last year in college? I would think the veterans that are playing with busted knees would be a little pissed.

On the other hand, how many teams would be MORE likely to want to draft him because he sat out his last year? I can't see where any would be.

Again, I get why a player would consider it if they were a 1st round lock, but the move would definitely have negative consequences for most of them at both the college and pro level.
BINGO

It won't and hasn't. NFL teams don't care...they're getting a highly talented player with less tread on the tires and less chance of injury. Fournette and McCaffrey were the first two to start the sit out the bowl game trend and both were top 10 picks. Bosa will be too. Sitting out would only affect the fringe players, the very best players won't see any negative impact. Bosa was actually getting praised by NFL people today saying he's doing the right thing to make sure he's fully healthy for the combine and then ultimately his NFL team next season.

Some guys here seem to think this is no biggie, the game will go on. If this becomes a common practice, it will hurt the schools, it will lead to fewer offers for the players, and will likely hurt their NFL stock with some teams.

There are no free rides. I get why players do it, I just know there will be consequences for everyone if they do.

It won't and hasn't. NFL teams don't care...they're getting a highly talented player with less tread on the tires and less chance of injury. Fournette and McCaffrey were the first two to start the sit out the bowl game trend and both were top 10 picks. Bosa will be too. Sitting out would only affect the fringe players, the very best players won't see any negative impact. Bosa was actually getting praised by NFL people today saying he's doing the right thing to make sure he's fully healthy for the combine and then ultimately his NFL team next season.

Bosa is already hurt, isn't he? Slightly different situation than what we are talking about here. I'm talking about if this becomes more common, players could go INTO recruiting telling coaches that if they sign with their school, they won't play their junior year. I could see players using it as a sort of blackmail "Better play me as soon as you sign me, cause you'll only have me for 2 years".

I dunno about Mullen, but I think Saban would likely tell those players to go pound sand.

Bosa is already hurt, isn't he? Slightly different situation than what we are talking about here. I'm talking about if this becomes more common, players could go INTO recruiting telling coaches that if they sign with their school, they won't play their junior year. I could see players using it as a sort of blackmail "Better play me as soon as you sign me, cause you'll only have me for 2 years".

I dunno about Mullen, but I think Saban would likely tell those players to go pound sand.

Who knows? My guess is the top schools aren't turning them away. If you're getting a guy who has the look of a future NFL top 10 pick, most coaches are taking that guy even if they only get two years out of them. Why? Those are the type of players that lift you to championship status. Which means more success and higher pay for those same coaches as a result of those championships. It's job preservation. Except for a few coaches job security is a year to year thing, they aren't thinking about three years down the road. And for every program that says no, there will be one willing to make that deal to get more talented rosters.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but don't think the trend slows down until there's negative backlash from the NFL...that's the whole reason for the trend to begin with. But if the NFL is still gonna pick players high and in most cases praise the move, there's no incentive for players to think or do any different. Hell NFL analysts were telling Ed Oliver to sit out his junior year just this past offseason, and he declared for the draft before the season even started which was unheard of. And there's been no negative feedback, he's still projected to be a top 5 caliber pick. So other players in his position will see that and follow suite. Unfortunately.

You can't blame the guy, he is a top 5 pick. Insurance policies don't cover more than 20 percent on their possible first contract earnings I believe. I am not sure of what a top 5 pick is guranteed, but I am sure he will be sitting pretty.

I do hope he drops out of the top 5 and where he was projected to go.

I bet he won't drop as far as he would if he came back to play and re-injured himself seriously. But then at least he'd have the memories of locker room camaraderie to console him for the millions of dollars lost. He'd go interview with GMs and talk about his love for his teammates and the game of football and they'd tell him: that will serve you well in your future as D-line coach at Toledo HS.

I bet he won't drop as far as he would if he came back to play and re-injured himself seriously. But then at least he'd have the memories of locker room camaraderie to console him for the millions of dollars lost. He'd go interview with GMs and talk about his love for his teammates and the game of football and they'd tell him: that will serve you well in your future as D-line coach at Toledo HS.
Thats his personal decison. Not the decision I would make. Different strokes for different folks.

I don’t seem to recall players doing this 10 or even 5 years ago. Why now? I know why but it is what it is.

The kid can do whatever he wants, the NFL can do whatever it wants.

My view is: If players start regularly sitting out their junior years to 'save' themselves for the NFL draft, will it make the COLLEGE game better?

IMO it will not improve the COLLEGE game, it will make it worse. That's why I'm not a fan. I get that it's potentially great for the kid and great for the NFL. But I'm a college fan, I could care less about the NFL.

Thats his personal decison. Not the decision I would make. Different strokes for different folks.

I don’t seem to recall players doing this 10 or even 5 years ago. Why now? I know why but it is what it is.

Do you really think if you were 10 months away from signing a $20-$30m NFL contract (top 5 average last year) and coming off an injury, you would put that at risk, playing half a season of football for free? I wouldn’t think twice about it.

$30m? If you’re smart, that’s a nice house, nice cars, send your kids to the best schools, take care of your parents when they’re old, no money stresses in your life. I would never put that at risk unnecessarily.

When millions are at stake..we are talking (if managed correctly) his kids kids would be set up to start adult life on the right foot. I do understand.

But where does it stop in ths future? Will a 4/5 star prep player who received numerous offers decide to sit out his senior year in prep ball? Will the freshman/Sophomore sensation start to sit out their third year knowing they are a lock for the NFL?

When millions are at stake..we are talking (if managed correctly) his kids kids would be set up to start adult life on the right foot. I do understand.

But where does it stop in ths future? Will a 4/5 star prep player who recierec numerous offers decide to sit out his senior year in prep ball? Will the freshman/Sophomore sensation start to sit out their third year knowing they are a lock for the NFL?

If a kid's draft spot is relatively secure, I would advise him not to play a snap for free. In football, for the most part, a kid is going to have to play a year or two of college to show they have the athleticism and can handle the physicality. In basketball, there have been a few instances where a kid sits out, or plays abroad. Emmanuel Mudiay played professionally in China for a year and still got drafted in the lottery.

It's not an easy calculation. Obviously you don't want scouts to forget about you, and you want to play enough to get to a good draft position.

What will be interesting is when healthy players start sitting out regular season games and not just bowls. Like, you've got a hyped sophomore defensive back who's on his way to all-america status and projected as a top-10 pick, and they just announce in week 7 or 8 that they're leaving the team to focus on the draft. I imagine that's coming. There is just too much money at stake.

But where does it stop in ths future? Will a 4/5 star prep player who received numerous offers decide to sit out his senior year in prep ball? Will the freshman/Sophomore sensation start to sit out their third year knowing they are a lock for the NFL?

My wife and I are both lawyers and make a pretty good living. We've got three kids, childcare costs, a mortgage, car payments, school loans, etc... etc... financially, it is a grind. Together we would have to work 100 years (!) to make what a top-5 NFL pick signs for. That is too big an opportunity to put at risk. And it's not like getting hurt playing college football is some remote risk.

Yea I don’t like it as a fan but I don’t understand hoping these guys lose their draft status over it. For what? I can’t say it my kid was in that same position I wouldn’t advise them the same, as would most folks. Oh well, enjoy the kids that are still playing. If they win a title he won’t be a part of it and I’m sure some small part of him might regret not having those memories. Or maybe not. Who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT