ADVERTISEMENT

Mullen's best recruiter is ranked 52nd in the nation. Texas A&M has 5 recruiters better than that

Zoni_Gator

Green Machine
Sep 20, 2014
That is a disgrace. Our best recruiter is Charlton Warren, ranked 52nd by 24/7 Sports. To put that in perspective, Texas A&M has 5 recruiters ranked better than that. Texas A&M has 5 coaches/recruiters better than our top coach/recruiter. That means they will consistently bring in better players at every position than Florida.

This kind of thing is a leading indicator for future success. Mullen never won anything at Miss State because he couldn't recruit top players. And his recruiting at UF isn't much better at Miss State (around the mid to bottom of the SEC). At Miss State, he averaged about a top 25 class. So far, it looks like he may bring in about a top 15 class at UF. He is a better coach than than the last two frauds that we hired, but he's not a better recruiter, and if past is prologue, he'll finish about the same as the level of his recruits -- about 15th in the nation.

That's pretty good, but not the Florida standard that he talks about. That standard was set by Spurrier and Urban Meyer. He's never actually met that standard, though he's a decent game day coach. He just doesn't have the recruiting talent those two coaches did, and he doesn't recognize publicly that it matters. Shame that he has this glaring defect. He won't be able to cover it up more than a few years.

All that matters is how we are ranked at the end but I do have my worries about this class. You hope he can pull off some magic at the end and we don't end up in the teens in Rivals rankings.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
He's a good play caller and general coach, but Saban couldn't win with scrubs. In college football, recruiting is a skill that determines your fate. And Mullen has never proven he could recruit well, and it doesn't seem to bother him. He talks more about his team not practicing well or having relentless effort than his recruiting prowess. I wonder why.

He's a good play caller and general coach, but Saban couldn't win with scrubs. In college football, recruiting is a skill that determines your fate. And Mullen has never proven he could recruit well, and it doesn't seem to bother him. He talks more about his team not practicing well or having relentless effort than his recruiting prowess. I wonder why.

Yep Bama and OSU wouldn't keep rolling as good as they have if the top recruits weren't coming in regularly but Mullen does look like he can coach them up some considering what he has on offense.

Mullen did actually acknowledge they needed to up their game in recruiting a while back. Craziest thing about our class so far if you were just shown the out of state guys you would think we must have a top 3 class at least. If he can up his game in Florida that will get us a consistent top 5 or 6 type class which is probably needed to get where we want to be again. I think he may need to add a good recruiter to the staff. Mullen did get rid of the guy who was in charge of that California dreaming nonsense which was a smart move.

Last edited:

What was his first class ranked?

Here's the point - things are about on track overall. We're winning and have a legit program again. We'll probably be ranked Top 10-12 today, we're 6-1 - had a 14th ranked transition class (add in the transfers on top of that - that's big) and are 100x better than last year. Enjoy that.

Reactions: g8rbass94
That is a disgrace. Our best recruiter is Charlton Warren, ranked 52nd by 24/7 Sports. To put that in perspective, Texas A&M has 5 recruiters ranked better than that. Texas A&M has 5 coaches/recruiters better than our top coach/recruiter. That means they will consistently bring in better players at every position than Florida.

This kind of thing is a leading indicator for future success. Mullen never won anything at Miss State because he couldn't recruit top players. And his recruiting at UF isn't much better at Miss State (around the mid to bottom of the SEC). At Miss State, he averaged about a top 25 class. So far, it looks like he may bring in about a top 15 class at UF. He is a better coach than than the last two frauds that we hired, but he's not a better recruiter, and if past is prologue, he'll finish about the same as the level of his recruits -- about 15th in the nation.

That's pretty good, but not the Florida standard that he talks about. That standard was set by Spurrier and Urban Meyer. He's never actually met that standard, though he's a decent game day coach. He just doesn't have the recruiting talent those two coaches did, and he doesn't recognize publicly that it matters. Shame that he has this glaring defect. He won't be able to cover it up more than a few years.

@instaGATOR

:eek::D

Reactions: _VolFan4675

Spurrier a great recruiter, lol, do you not cfb bro? Spurrier took the kids that wanted to be Gators. He was at the beach, golf course, with family, etc. over hanging out at high school kids' houses. Haha, he wasn't putting in anywhere near the time and effort on the recruiting trail that his peers were.

Mullen can do like what Spurrier and Costner did, "if you build it, they will come."

haha.

Spurrier a great recruiter, lol, do you not cfb bro? Spurrier took the kids that wanted to be Gators. He was at the beach, golf course, with family, etc. over hanging out at high school kids' houses. Haha, he wasn't putting in anywhere near the time and effort on the recruiting trail that his peers were.

Mullen can do like what Spurrier and Costner did, "if you build it, they will come."

haha.

Bingo. Spurrier hated recruiting. But he won, so that was all the recruiting he needed to do.

Florida is 6-1 and will be Top 10 soon. That's what recruits notice. They also notice the PLAYER DEVELOPMENT that Florida kids are getting right now.

You trolls really need to up your game. Obvious Lee :D:D:D

Bingo. Spurrier hated recruiting. But he won, so that was all the recruiting he needed to do.

Florida is 6-1 and will be Top 10 soon. That's what recruits notice. They also notice the PLAYER DEVELOPMENT that Florida kids are getting right now.

You trolls really need to up your game. Obvious Lee :D:D:D

It turned out not to be everything he needed to do. He won less than 40% of his games against FSU due to a talent disadvantage and only got one national championship due to not having FSU level talent most years.

There were only 2 years UF matched FSU in talent under Spurrier and that was 95 and 96 and because the recruiting prowess of Zook helped bring in a lot of the starters those years.

Zero chance FSU would have a winning record against Spurrier if the talent level had been equal.

It turned out not to be everything he needed to do. He won less than 40% of his games against FSU due to a talent disadvantage and only got one national championship due to not having FSU level talent most years.

There were only 2 years UF matched FSU in talent under Spurrier and that was 95 and 96 and because the recruiting prowess of Zook helped bring in a lot of the starters those years.

Zero chance FSU or Miami would have a winning record against Spurrier if the talent level had been equal.

To be fair, I can see Mullen matching Spurrier's success, winning a NC, and you being the first one to claim that he should have done more LMAO!

To be fair, I can see Mullen matching Spurrier's success, winning a NC, and you being the first one to claim that he should have done more LMAO!

lol You are just talking mess again. I am just pointing out recruiting does matter and its why someone like Bowden could have a big winning advantage over a much better game day coach like Spurrier.

Reactions: _VolFan4675
lol You are just talking mess again. I am just pointing out recruiting does matter and its why someone like Bowden could have a big winning advantage over a much better game day coach like Spurrier.

Of course recruiting matters. But the NC isn't awarded on NSD, you have never understood this.

No. Spurrier’s biggest weakness as a head coach at Florida was not caring enough about the defensive side of the ball and having good coaches on that side of the ball. Look at the DCs he hired. It was until he went after Stoops is when he figured out that defense mattered a bit. However after Stoops left he didn’t do the best job of replacing him either.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Here's the thing, and it's why Dabo has been so good at Clemson despite getting what Fever would consider less than stellar overall recruiting classes: If Dan Mullen gets the right QB (which I think he did with Jalon Jones), than Florida can bring in fringe top 10 classes and still be elite. That's what happened with Dabo when he had Deshaun Watson and what is happening now with Trevor Lawrence. An ultra talented QB (i.e. Cam Newton at Auburn in 2010) can take an 8-4 caliber team and turn it into a title contender. QB is easily the most important position on the field and I think Mullen struck gold with Jalon.

Why is everybody giving up on Emory Jones so quickly as well? I don’t understand that at all.

I do think we are set at QB as long as Mullen is around and that is also correct. Having a QB is half the battle. It’s still the most important position on the field.

Why is everybody giving up on Emory Jones so quickly as well? I don’t understand that at all.

I do think we are set at QB as long as Mullen is around and that is also correct. Having a QB is half the battle. It’s still the most important position on the field.

I like Emory a lot, dude has a rifle, but in terms of skill running the ball, Jalon is more special. I'm definitely not giving up on Emory, he is still a threat with his legs, but not a homerun threat like Jalon.

Right!!?? If the expectation for true freshmen is that they either start year 1 at QB or are a bust...lol I don't know what to tell you.

This is UF - we should get a good QB every year in recruiting that fits Mullen's program. Then it'll work itself out.

Zero chance FSU would have a winning record against Spurrier if the talent level had been equal.
2001? 1997 as well. Zook didn't have shit to do with 2001.

A lot of "one national title" had a lot to do with the SEC being good. UT in 2001 and 1998. LSU and UGA in 1997.

Spurrier may not have liked recruiting but he recruited. Biggest myth in message board history. Even at SC he got the #1 ranked prospect with Clowney, Marcus Lattimore, Sidney Rice, and more. SC never got that type of talent until Spurs arrived.

Think of how much more powerful FSU would have been had it not been for Spurrier taking some 4&5 stars away.

Can we enjoy the dumpster fire that was our program being doused? From a talent standpoint this is a 6-6 team, but we are on track for 8-10 wins. Yes, he will have to recruit better for us to contend on the national stage, but he needed to stabilize the program first. Get the football facility built, start winning some games and he should be able to haul in top classes. Mac left our program in shambles.

Can we enjoy the dumpster fire that was our program being doused? From a talent standpoint this is a 6-6 team, but we are on track for 8-10 wins. Yes, he will have to recruit better for us to contend on the national stage, but he needed to stabilize the program first. Get the football facility built, start winning some games and he should be able to haul in top classes. Mac left our program in shambles.
Agreed

And the same morons that ranked Polite, Zuniga, Reese, Perine, Toney, etc. as 3 stars, are the one's that are ranking UF's recruiters... :cool:

Can't imagine why I'd G-a-S what they think at this point... o_O

Do try and keep up for a change...

https://florida.forums.rivals.com/threads/wow-dont-be-late.66139/page-10

Here's the thing, and it's why Dabo has been so good at Clemson despite getting what Fever would consider less than stellar overall recruiting classes: If Dan Mullen gets the right QB (which I think he did with Jalon Jones), than Florida can bring in fringe top 10 classes and still be elite. That's what happened with Dabo when he had Deshaun Watson and what is happening now with Trevor Lawrence. An ultra talented QB (i.e. Cam Newton at Auburn in 2010) can take an 8-4 caliber team and turn it into a title contender. QB is easily the most important position on the field and I think Mullen struck gold with Jalon.

Its easy to point out where Clemson did the job in recruiting while getting lower numbers which resulted in a few classes that were a little lower. They were bringing in big time elite QBs and D linemen.People can point out all kinds of failures of top recruiters as far as success goes but the only SEC or national champion that has had substandard classes in recent years was probably that Auburn team that may have lost 4 games without Cam at QB.

Georgia still 3rd in the SEC? We were told they were going to bounce back quickly. Guess the bloom is off in Athens....

Georgia still 3rd in the SEC? We were told they were going to bounce back quickly. Guess the bloom is off in Athens....

They still scare me due to their talent level even though they have a lot of freshmen and sophomores starting. I hope we can do them like LSU did however. That beating will probably have them more focused against us however.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT