ADVERTISEMENT

Mullen breaks Spurrier & Meyer’s record...

Super impressive. He took over a MUCH less talented team than Meyer while AL was/is in it's full domination mode of college football and recruiting.

Meyer brought in a new offense with a loaded team of talent.

Spurrier took over a forever also run program but that first team actually had some good talent - the SEC back then wasn't what it's been the last 20 years imo.

Super impressive. He took over a MUCH less talented team than Meyer while AL was/is in it's full domination mode of college football and recruiting.

Meyer brought in a new offense with a loaded team of talent.

Spurrier took over a forever also run program but that first team actually had some good talent - the SEC back then wasn't what it's been the last 20 years imo.
Yes agreed with you. Meyer took over a pretty talented team of Zook’s recruits. Mullen had to take over a pretty bad situation and cultural problem. Took a 4 win team to 9 wins in just his 1st year.

sadgator is so happy/content that Mullen is our coach...

we are honestly blessed that Stricklin made the moves to bring him here...

he totally gets Florida and is our guy...

there is seriously not any other coach sadgator would want in his place...
He should of been the hire instead of McElwain. I get maybe not approaching him after Meyer left as it may have been too soon but it was obvious he can coach and build a program based on what he was doing at Miss St. I guess better late than never.

He should of been the hire instead of McElwain. I get maybe not approaching him after Meyer left as it may have been too soon but it was obvious he can coach and build a program based on what he was doing at Miss St. I guess better late than never.

All true. But let's remember that the same could have been said about Spurrier. Actually, I think the same thing WAS said about Spurrier. He could have been gotten away from the Bandits in 1985, rather than taking Galen Hall from interim to permanent. I know we were facing serious sanctions, but Spurs offense was so innovative we would have been good anyway.

through 36 games. Mullen is 30-6. Meyer and Spurrier were 29-7. Pretty interesting.

Paco Taco

3* Dan Merlins. AKA the hunchback lucked into Texas Trask who is a great QB. The Instant and I always liked him.

He was going with Frankienstien all the way until he got hurt against Kan-tuck.

He can thank his lucky stars for Trask. If not he wouldn’t have this record.

Trask should win the Hiesman over Mack Jones. He means a lot more to the lizards than Jones does for the crimson stain.

He’s a excellent QB. I’m glad for him

This is exactly what I've stated over and over again. Someone else also pointed out (not sure if it was you) that the Foooley was pretty much done with the Meyer connection.

He will be judged by nattys at this point. Hes obviously a great developer and im interested to see if he can win the big one

Reactions: gatordad3
Paco Taco

3* Dan Merlins. AKA the hunchback lucked into Texas Trask who is a great QB. The Instant and I always liked him.

He was going with Frankienstien all the way until he got hurt against Kan-tuck.

Trask should win the Hiesman over Mack Jones. He means a lot more to the lizards than Jones does for the crimson stain.

He’s a excellent QB. I’m glad for him
He was winning games with Franks as well. Won a NY6 bowl game with him.
And that isn’t entirely true either. Two times Trask was going to get his chance to replace Franks and both times Trask got hurt himself. One time he was slated to start the next game and broke his foot in practice during that week. Trask has had some bad luck too.

This is exactly what I've stated over and over again. Someone else also pointed out (not sure if it was you) that the Foooley was pretty much done with the Meyer connection.
Mullen rubbed some people the wrong way his first time in Gville. He was pretty young. He’s matured a lot since then and got his feet wet in the SEC before coming to UF. All in all it has worked out in the end.

And that isn’t entirely true either. Two times Trask was going to get his chance to replace Franks and both times Trask got hurt himself. One time he was slated to start the next game and broke his foot in practice during that week. Trask has had some bad luck too.

Oh hush. He would have never won as many games with Frankenstein.

Trask is a very good QB. Texan. Proud of him

Mullen went 12-3 with Franks as the starting QB. That’s a 80% win percentage. Still pretty darn good. Mullen’s overall winning percentage at UF is 83%.

Reactions: gatordad3

Yeah...because Dan never had any luck developing any other quarterbacks...well except...

Josh Harris
Alex Smith
Chris Leak
Tim Tebow
Dak Prescott
and
Nick Fitzgerald

...if not for Trask his career would be garbage...

Who could ever forget that scary moment against Auburn when he went down favoring his knee? Me personally, I thought his season was over along with the string of bad luck you also mentioned. At least we had Emory Jones to fall back on. I also feel that if it ever came down to Emory having an injury, we still had Kadarius Toney. I don't think we had any other QB's after them last season.

Mullen went 12-3 with Franks as the starting QB. That’s a 80% win percentage. Still pretty darn good. Mullen’s overall winning percentage at UF is 83%.

Ever notice how none of these Georgia fans(or my buddy Fever) brought up Dan Mullens record at Miss State, or his record against ranked teams this season?

Mullen rubbed some people the wrong way his first time in Gville. He was pretty young. He’s matured a lot since then and got his feet wet in the SEC before coming to UF. All in all it has worked out in the end.
It can never be mentioned enough how UF, and its fans, dodged not one, but two bullets when we whiffed on Scott Frost(I still believe he would have recruited like a madman at UF) and Chip Kelly.
I heard a few stories how Mullen was a prick in Gainesville but I really didn't see that everytime Tim Tebow was actually with Dan Mullen, during and after Tebow's time at UF.
I will keep admitting how Mullen wasn't anywhere near the top of my list in 2017 to replace Butters McElwain. I'm also embarrassed to admit I had Coach Cornrows higher on my list in 2017.

So Mullen was "lucky" that one of the QB's on his roster was a 2 star that hadn't started a game in over 5 years?

Or maybe Trask was lucky that Mullen was a good enough coach to see his potential rather than just writing him off as somebody else's recruiting mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19
Very impressive by Mullen. I was a little surprised that Mullen has put up better offensive stats than Spurrier.

Gray,

Great Catch !

Two things surprised me -
Mullen's stats on offense
SOS's stats on defense

Mullen & Grantham's stats on defense worse, stats on offense better because of this season.

Of course, SOS could not have won as many games if he hadn't played good defense.

Like everyone else, I remember SOS's fun 'n gun more than his defense !

Last edited:
Yea, SOS's defenses were better than most give credit for. Many teams piled up stats in garbage time making the Gator's Ds look worse on paper than they were.

Yea, SOS's defenses were better than most give credit for. Many teams piled up stats in garbage time making the Gator's Ds look worse on paper than they were.
I actually disagree a bit. The defense was why Spurrier didn’t win more national titles.

Again, 1990-1992 were waaaaaaay different than 2018-2020.

there's very little about the game that is the same, on both sides of the ball.

Is there a way to block a thread from view similar to ignoring a poster? I don’t like this information.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT